Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,226 members, 7,811,625 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? (1722 Views)

Were She Your Child, What Would You Do? (photo) / What Can You Say About Parents Disowning Their Children...... / The Birds and the Bees Story for my 5Year old child. What's YOUR version? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by akinkk(m): 6:55pm On Dec 25, 2013
This issue has always gone through my mind....disowning a child; is this a punishment or what, what's the concept behind this and why do some parents see it as a solution or judgement to their child(ren)'s character or wrongdoing...Please share your thoughts on this
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by mgbeketoto: 7:30pm On Dec 25, 2013
Useless concept!
Like you can remove YOUR DNA from the child! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Nobody: 1:32am On Dec 26, 2013
^ ^ I taya oo undecided
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Vickyhotkiss: 2:25am On Dec 26, 2013
Well is not easy 4 a parent to do dat but if dey do is because dat child has done something really bad, so they just use dat to make d child change his/her ways n cum back home.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by akinkk(m): 10:16am On Dec 26, 2013
....and what if the child decides not to come home, are the parents fulfilled or at a loss?

1 Like

Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Kanwulia: 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2013
Then that is the CHILD'S choice!
The parents should accept their FATE and move on!

Simple! kiss
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 26, 2013
And some c nothing wrong with that.
Nigerian mentality!
Talk is cheap.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by EfemenaXY: 6:40pm On Dec 26, 2013
akin_kk: This issue has always gone through my mind....disowning a child; is this a punishment or what, what's the concept behind this and why do some parents see it as a solution or judgement to their child(ren)'s character or wrongdoing...Please share your thoughts on this

The concept behind this is failure on the part of the parent(s) in bringing up their child(ren) well - so what do they do? Shirk their responsibilities by washing their hands clean of the child rather than admit their failure at parenthood.

No child is born bad. Children are what you make them. They come into this world as blank slates and everything they learn is based on what they see and hear around them. The simply emulate the actions of adults and those close by.

3 Likes

Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by fowowe411: 7:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

The concept behind this is failure on the part of the parent(s) in bringing up their child(ren) well - so what do they do? Shirk their responsibilities by washing their hands clean of the child rather than admit their failure at parenthood.

No child is born bad. Children are what you make them. They come into this world as blank slates and everything they learn is based on what they see and hear around them. The simply emulate the actions of adults and those close by.

I refuse to agree with you on this,because children are not necessarily what you make them but sometimes what they choose to become.I have seen a lot of situation where well brought kids get spoilt as a result of external influence.Take for example Nigerian universities,80% of the girls play aristos in school and they become saints at home.My point is that parents should try their best in bringing up their children. Back to topic,many people see it as Nigerian mentality but I see as a personal thing.I don't pray to be in a situation to disown my child but if need be,some reasons I can do such is just like a situation where my child is f*cking live on T.v,I will have no choice than to disown such child if after my advice he/she refuses.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2013
fowowe411: I refuse to agree with you on this,because children are not necessarily what you make them but sometimes what they choose to become.I have seen a lot of situation where well brought kids get spoilt as a result of external influence.Take for example Nigerian universities,80% of the girls play aristos in school and they become saints at home.My point is that parents should try their best in bringing up their children. Back to topic,many people see it as Nigerian mentality but I see as a personal thing.I don't pray to be in a situation to disown my child but if need be,some reasons I can do such is just like a situation where my child is f*cking live on T.v,I will have no choice than to disown such child if after my advice he/she refuses.

Is there even any legal backing for dt whole disown crap?

What do u even call 'proper upbringing'? A child that has been made to feel like home is prison and once she feels a wave of 'freedom', decided to express herself
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by EfemenaXY: 9:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
fowowe411: I refuse to agree with you on this,because children are not necessarily what you make them but sometimes what they choose to become.I have seen a lot of situation where well brought kids get spoilt as a result of external influence. Take for example Nigerian universities,80% of the girls play aristos in school and they become saints at home.My point is that parents should try their best in bringing up their children. Back to topic,many people see it as Nigerian mentality but I see as a personal thing.I don't pray to be in a situation to disown my child but if need be,some reasons I can do such is just like a situation where my child is f*cking live on T.v,I will have no choice than to disown such child if after my advice he/she refuses.

Okay, let's take a look at your first and last statements - i.e: the bits highlighted in bold:

What's your definition of a well-brought up child? Yes, external influences and peer pressure are all part of growing up. These two things 'test' the integrity of the child. Now, as a parent who's been actively involved in their child's emotional, social and physical well being from the word go, part of effective parenting skills is the ability to let your child fully understand that this world is full of temptations. You as the parent are responsible for teaching your child the difference between right and wrong, and when faced with tempting situations, how best to deal with them.

Part of achieving this is making them well aware of actions-and-consequences. If you teach your child early on how to take responsibility for their actions, good or bad, such a child would be hard pressed to deviate from that path. I'll give you a very simple analogy: from an early age, you teach your kids that playing with fire is dangerous and they can get burnt. So, your child is equipped with the knowledge that playing with fire is bad. Now if this same child decides to test out that theory and place a finger in a flame, they get burnt and will be hard pressed to forget that experience. Simply analogy I know, but the underlying principle remains the same.

Now you mention girls involved in aristo runs. Part of bringing up your daughters to be decent is impacting good morals in them. Having said that, go that extra mile as a parent to make sure your girls have every thing they need, moneywise. Make sure they don't find themselves in such dire situations where they'll be forced to do anything to ensure they have the very basics of life (food, clothing and shelter). That is every parent's responsibility to their offspring. Now having catered for the basics, the onus is on you the parent to make sure your child learns to cut their coat according to their size. This is where impacting good morales comes to play.

But most importantly, ensure that there is a good, clear and open communication channel between you and your kids. Make sure your kids feel absolutely free to tell you anything and everything they experience in life. Be there to guide them. Be understanding and do not adopt the typical Naija mentality where my word is law and you have no say in the matter.

The need for effective communication cannot be over emphasised. When children feel they're in situations where they can't voice their thoughts, concerns and opinions to their parents / adults around them, what do you think happens next? I'll tell you - they'll kick against your form of authority and all you stand for. They rebel against you and do the very things you've taught them not to and this is part of the reason the girls get involved in aristo runs.

Interestingly, another reason why these girls get involved in such activities is due to deprivation. A child coming from a deprived background, struggling from hand-to-mouth so to speak just to feed, have a roof over their head and to clothe themselves are easier targets / victims to aristo runs / dealings, and this brings me to my earlier point of ensuring you as a parent must cater for your child's needs, else they fall foul to temptation and compromise their morals (if they had any to start with).

Now having said this, give me any other reason why you think those girls would be involved in aristo runs apart from the reasons I've given above? And why the others don't?
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Mrsmansson(f): 11:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
Would you disown your son who raped his own sister and his brother's Girlfriend?

1 Like

Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by fowowe411: 2:40am On Dec 28, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by fowowe411: 2:46am On Dec 28, 2013
alutacontinua:

Is there even any legal backing for dt whole disown crap?

What do u even call 'proper upbringing'? A child that has been made to feel like home is prison and once she feels a wave of 'freedom', decided to express herself
Legal backing ?Let me tell you,as much as I endure every parents to give their ward/child proper upbringing,I personally still believe a child will still decide how he/she wants to live and there is nothing their parents can do
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by fowowe411: 2:47am On Dec 28, 2013
Mrs mansson: Would you disown your son who raped his own sister and his brother's Girlfriend?
You should take such child to a rehab centre first.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by fowowe411: 2:48am On Dec 28, 2013
Mrs mansson: Would you disown your son who raped his own sister and his brother's Girlfriend?
I will jail him.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by fowowe411: 2:55am On Dec 28, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Okay, let's take a look at your first and last statements - i.e: the bits highlighted in bold:

What's your definition of a well-brought up child? Yes, external influences and peer pressure are all part of growing up. These two things 'test' the integrity of the child. Now, as a parent who's been actively involved in their child's emotional, social and physical well being from the word go, part of effective parenting skills is the ability to let your child fully understand that this world is full of temptations. You as the parent are responsible for teaching your child the difference between right and wrong, and when faced with tempting situations, how best to deal with them.

Part of achieving this is making them well aware of actions-and-consequences. If you teach your child early on how to take responsibility for their actions, good or bad, such a child would be hard pressed to deviate from that path. I'll give you a very simple analogy: from an early age, you teach your kids that playing with fire is dangerous and they can get burnt. So, your child is equipped with the knowledge that playing with fire is bad. Now if this same child decides to test out that theory and place a finger in a flame, they get burnt and will be hard pressed to forget that experience. Simply analogy I know, but the underlying principle remains the same.

Now you mention girls involved in aristo runs. Part of bringing up your daughters to be decent is impacting good morals in them. Having said that, go that extra mile as a parent to make sure your girls have every thing they need, moneywise. Make sure they don't find themselves in such dire situations where they'll be forced to do anything to ensure they have the very basics of life (food, clothing and shelter). That is every parent's responsibility to their offspring. Now having catered for the basics, the onus is on you the parent to make sure your child learns to cut their coat according to their size. This is where impacting good morales comes to play.

But most importantly, ensure that there is a good, clear and open communication channel between you and your kids. Make sure your kids feel absolutely free to tell you anything and everything they experience in life. Be there to guide them. Be understanding and do not adopt the typical Naija mentality where my word is law and you have no say in the matter.

The need for effective communication cannot be over emphasised. When children feel they're in situations where they can't voice their thoughts, concerns and opinions to their parents / adults around them, what do you think happens next? I'll tell you - they'll kick against your form of authority and all you stand for. They rebel against you and do the very things you've taught them not to and this is part of the reason the girls get involved in aristo runs.

Interestingly, another reason why these girls get involved in such activities is due to deprivation. A child coming from a deprived background, struggling from hand-to-mouth so to speak just to feed, have a roof over their head and to clothe themselves are easier targets / victims to aristo runs / dealings, and this brings me to my earlier point of ensuring you as a parent must cater for your child's needs, else they fall foul to temptation and compromise their morals (if they had any to start with).

Now having said this, give me any other reason why you think those girls would be involved in aristo runs apart from the reasons I've given above? And why the others don't?
Yes I agree with almost if not all your points.But with the way you sound,I doubt it if you school in Nigeria(most especially public universities).A lot of things happened there that beat my imagination.many girls who are from rich families,God fearing homes,and even elite parents still involve in such dirty act.So in a situation like this will you still blame their parents?I know those of us that school in Nigeria will understand me better.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by dayokanu(m): 4:54am On Dec 28, 2013
Efe,

Its not all that easy and straightforward

You see kids from same parent with same upbringing grow completely different. Kids from affluent homes in Igbinedion Babcock Covenant still flood major cities for aristo runs
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Arialbold: 6:31am On Dec 28, 2013
akin_kk: This issue has always gone through my mind....disowning a child; is this a punishment or what, what's the concept behind this and why do some parents see it as a solution or judgement to their child(ren)'s character or wrongdoing...Please share your thoughts on this

I don't understand it either and do not support it.
It goes the other way too though. I've heard of children cutting contact permanently with parents.
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 28, 2013
^^ may God forgive you sir/madam.

It's whom wear the shoes knows where it pinches, you cannot sit behind your laptop and say all that without any valid and real example to back it up.

*'' Disowning a kid only depends on child's worth '' care to share the calibration process? Are you for real? Wow
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Nobody: 6:43am On Dec 28, 2013
Nice move Ariel. Good call. wink
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Arialbold: 6:50am On Dec 28, 2013
do you have a personal experience that you would like to share? I am open to hearing your view.
also are you male or female? I think men are more likely to disown their children than women are. which is why I believe it has to do with how much the child is worth to you.

Ewuro707: ^^ may God forgive you sir/madam.

we are all worthy in God's eyes hence we are still his children smiley
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by EfemenaXY: 8:06am On Dec 28, 2013
fowowe411: Yes I agree with almost if not all your points.But with the way you sound,I doubt it if you school in Nigeria(most especially public universities).A lot of things happened there that beat my imagination.many girls who are from rich families,God fearing homes,and even elite parents still involve in such dirty act.So in a situation like this will you still blame their parents?I know those of us that school in Nigeria will understand me better.

On the contrary, I schooled in Naija - Primary, Secondary, Uni (public university) and even did my NYSC there too. So yes, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Saying a lot of things happened in those schools that beat your imagination with regards to girls getting involved in Aristo runs just doesn't cut it. Did you care to ask any one of these girls from the so called "rich & God fearing homes" you mention, why they did / do it? If they're from:

~ well-to-do backgrounds where money isn't an issues = Rebellion

~ deprived backgrounds where money is an issues = Peer Pressure + Survival

Apart from those, I fail to see why a girl with a decent background and good morals will suddenly wake up one morning and decide to get involved in Aristo runs. It's ludicrous unless of course, she's got mental health issues?

dayokanu: Efe,

Its not all that easy and straightforward

You see kids from same parent with same upbringing grow completely different. Kids from affluent homes in Igbinedion Babcock Covenant still flood major cities for aristo runs

Actually, it's pretty straight forward to me. I've listed three possible reasons why these kids might get involved in such activities (Rebellion, Peer pressure / Survival instincts, and /or mental health issues).

Why else would a normal person suddenly wake up and decide to be a runz girl? Like I mentioned, I too schooled there and had all my needs (finance included) met by my parents. Yes, I did feel like a 'free bird' during my first year there, having escaped the strict restrictions my parents posed on me such as: Whenever you go out, make sure you're back home before sunset! etc...so yes, staying out till 11:55 pm (just before the porters locked up the female hostel for the night) partying, hitting suya joints, watching plays from the Drama department, and so on were things I did countless times...but even then, I always had that tiny voice at the back of my mind cautioning me, making me aware of where to draw the lines and not cross the boundaries of common decency. And Aristo runz was certainly not in my dictionary nor my code of conduct!
Re: Disowning A Child: What's The Concept Behind This? by Babamaleazeez(m): 9:31am On Dec 28, 2013
@op I think for the parents to disown a child then d child must have done something terrible..disowning a child isn't something that's very easy to do but I don't still think that's the best solution

(1) (Reply)

Living With Your Parents And You're Above 18: Whose Fault? / Unilorin RCF Auto Crash Accident Killed My Sister Oyeyode Oluwabunmi / Woman Spotted Taking A Man For A Walk On A Dog Leash (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.