Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,652 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN (4005 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 1:23pm On Dec 26, 2013
Whao! Whao!! Whao!!! Ladies and gentlemen, the educational aficionados, the cerebral analysts and pundits, respected Nairaland intelligentsia and commentariat, observers and watchers all well respected Nigerian students both in Nigeria and Abroad, it's our pleasure to welcome you to the final debate for this Second Phase, the knockout round, Sixteen schools made it to this round and just 8 schools would be climbing the fence of this phase to the quarter final stage...

This phase of the debate has finally come to an end yes it has cheesy cheesy cheesy, all plaudit and adoration to God for the phenomena of this Phase, and also to our personage Judges and audience..... grin grin grin and here we go with the final debate for this phase i hope you find it more piquant and educative.... Relax and watch how the fate of this two great citadel is determine on here... *grabs popcorn with fanta* gringringringrin

[size=28pt]UNIBEN(supporting.)
VS
OAU(opposing.)[/size]

[size=18pt]Topic: Topic:1914-almagamation a historical mistake?[/size]

[size=20pt]DATE: 28TH DECEMBER 2013[/size]

CHIEF COORDINATOR
Olawalebabs
Fynestboi
Richiez

COORDINATORS
(mr and miss)
BOAY
ALICIA KEYS
HONEYDEAR
ABU MIKEY
MISCALLENOUS
ONWORDI
AGROVICK
WILL007
DHURMYNICK

Cordinators Incharge:
BOAY

Judges:
Obinoscopy
Omolola1

Date:
Friday 28th December.

Time:
12pm-3pm No African time angry angry grin grin

Venue: Nairaland Education Section

For those who have not been following, you may go through the history here:
NAIRALAND UNDERGRADUATES
PLANNING THREAD

Kindly click on here for other fixtures of this elimination round.
fixtures

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 1:27pm On Dec 26, 2013
RULES

1.) Two contestants representing their school in this Interschool Debate Elimination stage will have to confirm their availability for the debate a day before the debate proper. Failure to do so will result in the defaulter been disqualify and the opposing or supporting side that duely declare availabily will automatically be declare as the winner.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is GREEN for the supporting side and BLUE for the opposing side. Please note that you are to use the designated colour all through the debate period.

3.) The essay should be min. 750 max. 1000 words .

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays, responses and conclusion must be submitted within the stipulated time frame stated in the time schedule as posted by the coordinator
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 1:27pm On Dec 26, 2013
JUDGING CRITERIA (5 marks each)
1. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject
PROCEDURES
11:55 – Debaters and judges take seats, register presence, while schools post their school Anthem

12:00 – Coordinators declare the debate open

12:00pm – 12:20 - Debaters post their arguments. Within 15 minutes. Better if less than 750 words to make it easier for judges to read all, but no harm making it longer, but it must not exceed 850.

12:20 – 1:20pm - A debater takes on his opponent, attempts to puncture his opponent’s points. This a debater does by quoting, highlighting the area to puncture and countering it i.e regular way to reply on Nairaland. While this is going on the judges can take their time to go through the write ups by the debaters. And also Debaters respond to punctured areas in his earlier arguments. He may buttress further. At this time frame.

1:20 – 1:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either based on what the debater has posted or just reasonable question within the theme. Judges should be specific as to who they are posting the questions to. E.g “Mr ...., could you expatiate what you meant by so so so? or ...., pls give examples of your claim that xxxx”. This is not compulsory. A judge that doesn’t have question to post to the debaters need not do so.

1:40 – 2:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

2:00 – 2:20pm – 2 Questions will be entertained from the audience i.e viewers. This will be based on ‘fastest hand’. The coordinators will announce ‘audience, you may now ask your questions’. After the 2 questions have been posted, any other viewer-post will be hidden.
NOTE: -The judges and audience can throw their questions without quotations but the contestants should answer
with quotations and separated for each questions.

2:20 – 2:30 – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments.

2:30 – 2:40 – Judges compile the scores and mail to coordinators:

2:40 – 3:00pmThread thrown open for regular Nairaland discussion.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Fynestboi: 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2013
Please while the debate is going, only the debaters, judges, coordinators, Supermods(if need be) can post. It is only at the audience question window that a viewer can post on this thread. Pls let's comply, default attracts 3 hours ban(duration of the debate).

You can however comment simultaneously at thePlanning thread

Thank you.

Debate starts by 5:00pm on FRIDAY.

Come and witness the mother of all e-debates on the biggest section of the biggest online forum in Africa.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by boay(m): 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2013
boay: I welcome all and sundry to this august assembly for the last debate in this stage. I hereby declare the debate open.

Debaters you can now post your arguments. UNIBEN first then OAU.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 12:16pm On Dec 28, 2013
Good afternoon Judges,
Coordinators, my fellow debaters and the assembled
audience, I am The Last Nazgul and I seek to support
the topic of today's debate- Almagamation- a Historical
mistake?
Encarta dictionary provides an unclear definition of
'almagamation' a word that lies at the heart of today's
debate. It defines almagamation as ' the process of
amalgamating things into a united whole'. A slight
tweaking of search terms turned up the following
definition of amalgamate- 'to combine two or more
organizations or things into a unified whole'.
Almagamation is therefore the process of combining or
uniting multiple entities into a single form. Going by
this definition, an almagamation is thus not a run of
the mill merger, as the amalgamation entities moult
and divest themselves of their erstwhile pre- almagamation individual independent statuses by
taking on the new form of the new union.
In the year 1914, a geographically demarcated piece of
land known as Nigeria came into being, with the
merger of the northern and southern protectorates by
Lord Lugard. By this infamous action, Lugard waltzed
his way into the annals of history. Lord Lugard is,
without a shard of doubt, definitely writhing uneasily
and frothing furiously in his grave in England, with his
state of unrest brought about by his historical faux
pas. Lugard was well aware of the incompatibility of
the peoples on either side of the protectorate divide,
hence he said ' the north and south are like oil and
water, they cannot mix.' It is common knowledge that
immiscible substances are best kept apart, yet Lugard
who was obviously aware of the ominous
consequences that would ensue from such a joinder,
chose to foolhardily damn the consequences.
The almagamation is best described as an ill advised
move, an air headed fusation and a marriage doomed
from the get-go. The tell tale signs were present but
were ignored by those at the helm of affairs- Lugard
and his colonial cronies- who chose to join two
immiscible quantities- oil and water, in a harebrained
venture,thus acting contrariwise to logic, in a bid to
feather the nest of colonial economic exploitation, with
the aborigines left holding the short straw. This
premise is corroborated by Chief R. Akinjide who was
quoted as saying, 'In fact, the so-called Nigeria created
in 1914 was a complete fraud. It was not created in
the interest of Nigeria or Nigerians, but in the interest
of the British...''. It thus goes without saying that
'Nigerians' on both sides of the 'protectorate' divide
never sought the unification of the protectorate or in
simpler terms, the creation of the Nigerian state. The
stakeholders were thus not consulted, rather, an all
important decision, one which shaped their destinies
was taken by the colonial lords of the Nigerian manor.
Thus, Nigeria as we know it today is a colonial
contraption , a cringe worthy artifact, a colonial Greek
gift.
The unification of the protectorates has been touted as
a historical mistake and that is without a glimmer of
doubt, an aptly fitting phrase, as the joinder of the
protectorates has turned out to be a gaffe of epic
proportions, to put it lightly. Why is this so?
The books of Nigerian history are bloodied with well
documented accounted of pseudo-deathly squabbles
between the constituent parts of the nation, with the
nation and one time embroiled in a seemingly endless
symphony of coups and counter coups launched by
coupists of Southern and Northern extraction, in
frenzied bids to seize the reins of power. The January
1966 coup was spearheaded by idealistic igbo officers
and was aptly named igbo coup and claimed the lives
of several northerners. The Northerners soon licked and
nursed their wounds and launched a reprisal coup of
their own in July of the same year- a coup noted for it's
bloodiness, with four consecutive days of blood letting
thrown into the fray for good measure. The plan by the
colonial administration to amalgamate people not of
the same cultural background who lacked common
similarities is the basis of our difficulties and back
breaking struggles as a nation. The denizens of the
Nigerian state are anything but peas in a pod, they are
peoples that are as diverse as they come, divided
along socio-cultural, eco-political, ideological and
religious parallels,with the colonialists choosing to
ignore the heterogenity of the people. The north
possessed an islamic, authocratic, centralized clime
anchored on aristocracy. The South was the exact
opposite. Certain parts were Christian with a sprinkling
of traditional religions, pseudo-democratic(with an
'impeacheable' Alaafin) and autochthonous (Igbo land)
Cracks soon began to show as erstwhile members of
the protectorates soon began to angle for furtherance
of their interests,showing deep seated animosity for
each other and the nascent nation, with Yoruba sage
and politician Awolowo quoted as saying ' Nigeria is not
only a geographical expression to which life was given
by the diabolical almagamation of 1914,that
almagamation will EVER. remain the most painful
injury the British government inflicted on Southern
Nigeria'. His compatriot from across the Niger, Tafawa
Balewa was however less subtle and more outspoken
about his disdain for the amalgamation mistake, hence
he said ' the southern people that are swarming into
this region( the north) are really intruders. we do not
want them and they are not welcome here. The British
government has been trying to make Nigeria into one
country but the Nigerian people are different in every
way including religion, language and aspiration. The
fact that we are all Africans may have misguided the
British. We here in the north , take it that ' Nigerian
unity' is not for us'. The difference in aspiration soon
came to light with the independence move
spearheaded by the south. The North kicked against
this move furiously, citing unreadiness., with Ahmadu
Bello saying ' the mistake of 1914 has come to light'.
Going by the above , it is obvious that the North and
South have always been opposing forces, reminiscent
of the Chinese yin and yang, and their differences are
unignorable,with the notion of 'for the greater good'
being far flung from their hearts with each side jostling
for it's pound of flesh to the detriment of the Nigerian
cause. Several anti- South riots had ensued in the
North with 36-52 casualties ensuing after the
independence move with Igbos bearing the brunt of
such mob action. The bandwagon of errors birthed by
the amalgamation mistake came to a head in 1967
with the outbreak of the civil war as the Igbos had
clearly had enough and sought to steal a march on the
others by seceding thus opting out of the problematic
pairing. Their secession plot was met with stiff
resistance by the other constituent parts under the
umbrage of the nigerian military, with an all out
altercation in form of a civil war ensuing. The igbos had
sought to found their own nation named Biafra- land of
the rising sun. The igbos had obviously realized their
potential for greatness, one which was being stifled in
the Nigerian clime. The outbreak of the Nigerian civil war
cannot be said to be a surprise as it was only a matter
of time before a secession plot crystallized.
Till this very day, the Nigerian elements have remained
crabs in a bucket, tugging the soul of the Nigerian
nation in opposite direction with the resultant effect of
the ship of state moving everywhere and nowhere.
Modern day Nigeria battles with a series of plagues
brought about by the amalgamation monstrosity- the
Boko Haram ethno-religious insurgency, continuous
incensed struggles for lofty position of power, shaky
secession plots nursed by the Igbos under the
umbrage of MASSOB, internecine clashes between
major and minor ethnic groups on different scales and
in different theaters, continuous angling for a larger
chunk of the national cake with certain region feeling exploited with others brings little or nothing to the revenue table.
In conclusion, it is thus heart rending that few days to the celebration of the amalgamation mistake, we have to ask ourselves ' why were the protectorates amalgamated?' It is thus my humble submission that the topic of today's debate is a rhetorical question and Nigerians are very aware that the answer to it is in the affirmative. Any one who seeks to answer in the negative must be derided as an ignorant fellow who in the face of blinding truths seeks to gouge his eyes out with twin rapiers of superficial ignorance.
Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by boay(m): 12:16pm On Dec 28, 2013
boay: UNIBEN debaters please post your arguments. You are keeping us waiting.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 12:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
1914-Amalgamation, a historical mistake?

Amalgamation of 1914; was it a historical mistake?. Well, for me, it's a Yes and I have my reasons which I would love to share with you but before I do that, I want to say that I very much appreciate the Chief coordinators and the Coordinators for coming up with an intriguing idea of a Nairaland Interschool debate and also seeing to it that the idea is fully carried out. I also want to acknowledge the presence of Mr Obinoscopy and Miss Omolola, our disinterested and articulate Judges, my Co-Debaters on both sides and of course everyother persons viewing this Great Debate.

I am Quatermaine by name and as God will have it, I will be representing the University of Benin in today's Debate. I bring you greetings from the University of Benin and as I begin making my reasons known to you, I crave your attention and unbiased minds because as we all know, this is not an ordinary topic, it is a crucial one and owing to the research I have made so far in other to put up what I am about to disclose to you, I think both for the purpose of this Debate and in the real sense that the answer to the above Notion which is also a question is Yes.

The Amalgamation of 1914 was a situation in 1914 when the Northern Protectorate and the Soythern Protectorate were unified by Sir Frederick John Dealtry Lugard although the idea was first recommended by a British special committee in August 1898. The fundamental reason why I consider the Amalgamation of 1914 a historical mistake lies in the motive behind the Amalgamation. According to Sir Frederick Lugard the Unification was done due to economical reasons rather than political as the Northern Protectorate had a budget deficit thus finding difficulty in financing it's own administration and also in providing the necessary funds for certain Projects. This was the reason that Sir Frederick Lugard claimed to be the Amalgamation but that is not true the Amalgamation was in the interest of British business, to boost their economy. This is where the mistake lies, The Amalgamation was done for selfish reasons.

Sir Frederick Lugard said that the North was poor as they had little or no resources to run the Protectorate. That is so not true because the North was blessed with Fertile lands which encouraged large agricultural settlement to the extent that towns were developed as a result and besides that, many Northern communities were strategically situated on trade routes which facilitated commerce and thus brought about favourable growth to the communities. The North was not Poor as Sir Lugard said, infact if you must know he made it up to cover up for the fact that they were having difficulty in overseeing the Northern Protectorate.
Examples can be sited from Difficulty to impose Taxation on the people of the North as attempts were foiled and strongly oposed by the emirates and some powerful merchants, this created a substantial budget deficit in the budget of the Northern Protectorate resulting in public works and projects being paid majorly by loans from the Southern Protecterate and sometimes grants from the British empire. This clearly shows that the Amalgamation was not based on the economical interest of the North and Nigeria at large but on that of the Britsh.

''What would be the effect of uniting the North ( with their comparatively static, traditionalistic outlook ) with the South ( the thrusting, competitive, individualistic society made up of well educated peoplle making available an expanding clerical class )
?'', ''How will societies which were rivals and hostile states live under one administration ?''. I doubt if such questions ever crossed the minds of the British people who suggested the Unification because if it did and they were unbiased, there would have never been an amalgation and both parties would have been great Nations today. Even if the questions did cross their minds, they were biased as they went ahead with their decision to Amalgamate both Protectorates. That is selfishness in action!.

Another puzzling thing was that despite the amalgamation, both protectorates were still divisive, they were still seperated. The British restricted them from interacting fully as they allowed just minimum contact between the Protectorates, thus continuing the isolation of the North from the Impact of the Southern economic activity, educational progress and christain influence. The most striking of it all is the economical aspect, why then did Sir Frederick Lugard claim that he unified them for economic reasons?. It is clearly obvious that the Amalgation was in the interest of the British colony.

The British objectives in Nigeria were far from being altruist, hence in their administration of the country they pursued policies including the Amalgamation, that were geared towards their economic, political and social benefits. They did not amalgamate the Northern and the Southern Protectorates in the interest of both Protectorates, but in their own interest. WHEN THE FOUNDATION IS FAULTY, HOW CAN THE BUILDING STAND?.

Having said all these, I stand on this Debater's podium to reiterate and this time vehemently that the answer to the Notion "1914-Amalgamation, a historical mistake?" is a YES for me both for the purpose of this Debate and in the real sense.
Thank You.

REFERENCES
Southern Protectorate (wikipedia)
Northern Protectorate (wikipedia)
Nigerian Peoples and Culture by A.D. Nzemeke and E.O. Erhagbe.
The Amalgamation of Nigeria was a fraud by Richard Akinjide, QC, SAN.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Davo93(m): 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
Sometimes in 1980, Nnamdi Azikwe somewhat shifted grounds on his ‘Ideology for Nigeria' saying “we must dig deep from our roots to discover the secret of successful co-existence.” This definately showed the pant for a true federal state, though coming late but that was necessary to give a dose of recuperation to our nation's unity that had repeatedly suffered attacks from eminent personalities among many other Nigerians.

A very wonderful Afternoon to the Judges, Coordinators, my Co-debaters and the viewing distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen. I say merry christmas to you all in arrears and also wishing you a very prosperous new year in waiting. I remain my humble self, Davo93 representing the foremost Nigerian university that stands for learning and culture, Obafemi Awolowo University. It is a great privilege bestowed upon me at this crucial time to logically argue against the motion: 1914-Almagamation, a historical mistake.

I will like to start by drawing the attention of everyone to a well known fact; Many nations of the world today were formed as a result of wars and other unsuitable acquisition processes but still, all these did not lead to the failure of those nations or rather justify any attempt by groups or states at jeopardizing their sovereignty.

Nigeria had a very peaceful annexation if you ask me, whereby only signed documents brought the northern and southern protectorates together. What I am driving at here is that, Nigerians should be grateful and see objectively beyond their mindsets and what their leaders and elders have made them to believe over the years about their amalgamation. We need to start to see reasons to admit that the 1914 amalgamation is one of the best things that happened to us.

Nigeria will celebrate her 100th year of glorious existence come next year, this is undoubtedly one of any feat any nation will be glad to celebrate. This is more reason why a discussion like this at this time is necessary to address some begging and deterring issues before we embark on another centenary journey.

It is no new analysis from various historical analysts and pundits that our amalgamation was falsely founded. They blame the past and present problems facing Nigeria on this foundation and many went as far as prescribing disintegration as the only cure to our problems based on their understanding of the situation .

I once again crave the indulgence of my esteemed readers to kindly set aside, at least for this time whatsoever stance you maintain on this debate as we peruse and logically dissect this matter and I do hope we both reach a common ground at the end.

Without conceeding to the fallacy that the 1914 amalgamation is a historical mistake, I will liken the birth of Nigeria to that of a man who was brought into existence as a result of a vicious rape incidence. After conception, the pregnancy of this man was not aborted despite the known unpalatable circumstances surrounding it and probable external influences against it. The baby was delivered, can we say that baby was a mistake? This baby grew up and went past the odds of life to become a comfortable man who can fern for himself and even give to people. Can we still say this man is a mistake? Sincerely NO! So also our dear nation Nigeria. She is no mistake at all!

I still find it very difficult to dissuade my thinking faculty from allowing me point accusing fingers at some of our past and present leaders who have told us nothing but falsehood and continued reasons why a country called Nigeria should not exist without even feeding us with the benefits we stand to enjoy as a united nation.

Our population in the black continent has earned us the incontestable title of the Gaint of Africa. This has in many ways brought a lot of benefits to our land. As we all know that the population size of a nation goes a long way in determining the commanded respect she enjoys from other countries of the world, even in important international decision making processes. Nigeria has been an unrivaled beneficiary of this since her existence.

The 1914 marriage has also helped us in creating an abundant manpower base, courtesy of the many ethnicities we have got. This abundant manpower is obvious in various vital sectors of our economy. Among which we have the security and sport sectors. Imagine the combination of the doggedness of the Hausas with the intelligence of the yorubas, now complemented by the skills of the Igbos in our military, wao! what a great military set up we have got! Likewise in the sports arena. How about the available numerous tourist centres for both nationals and international citizens to explore from? This cannot be possible if not for an amalgamated Nigeria.

The grace to gather the erudites from various angles of the nation for the best representation and government also lay credence to the beauty of our diversity. All these and many other advantages are crusted in the amalgamated nation of ours.

Having mentioned the advantages of a nation like Nigeria as a result of its amalgamation, it will be a gross show of ignorance on my path if i do not acknowledge the fact that Nigeria as a nation is been faced with challenges, just like any other nation around the globe but we will be doing a grave injustice to ourselves and our colonial masters if we say our compounded problems of the past and present is as a result of the 1914 amalgamation. A very huge injustice!

The perculiarity of this article will not permit me to fully implicate our leaders and ignorant citizens as the major causes of our misfortunes so far. Someone may want to say, how about the ethnic clashes here and there? Let me say here that some of these clashes started out as a minor misunderstanding that could have been resolved by our leaders before they were wide blown if truely they have the unity of our beloved nation at heart, but all they do is to blame a marriage of heterogeneous people of a hundred years old. Is that not unpatriotic? They forgot clashes can even be more violent in a homogeneous setting if the necessary measures are not put in place.

Take for instance a homogeneous nation like Somalia, a country regarded as a big family with almost a single tribe. Somalia only has dents of few other minor tribes. A country where 99.9% of her citizens practise thesame religion, yet, Somalia can be said to be a very good example of a failed nation. Can we still blame their woes on heterogeneousity? Absolutely No! Therefore, I want us to look beyond the 1914 amalgamation as the reason for our setbacks and problems.

Truly, our diversity if not properly harnessed and continually encouraged to its positive side, there could be problem and this is the instance we find ourselves atimes. Sovereign National Conferences should be a routine exercise in a very heterogeneous nation like Nigeria. By so doing, no tribe or group will feel marginalized in any way. So also, we get to know our differences and take advantage of it to build a more united and stronger nation.

With all sense of humility and respect, I wish to say that Nigeria is greater than anyone of us, even the president and at thesame time, Nigeria belongs to all of us. So I believe every spirited efforts at encouraging her existence and sovereignty should be unanimously appreciated and promoted, no matter the challenges we are facing.

As I conclude, permit me to reinstate my position that the 1914 amalgamation is not a historical mistake in any way but a clad blessing to us all. Thank You!

REFERENCES

Nigeria: The mistake of 1914 By Y! Editor (21/06/2012)
http://www.ynaija.com/nigeria-the-mistake-of-1914/

Middle East Policy Council – Muslim Populations Worldwide
http://web.archive.org/web/20061214023655/http://www.mepc.org/workshops/popstat.asp

The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Centra Intelligence Agency.
http://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/so.html

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by boay(m): 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
boay: OAU second debater please post your argument.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Miracy(f): 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2013
1914 AMALGAMATION,A HISTORICAL MISTAKE?

Charlotte Bronte once said,"there are certain natures of which the mutual influence is such that the more they say,the more they have to say.For these out of association grows adhesion and out of adhesion,amalgamation"[sic]
Prior to my continuation, I will love to pay homage to those deserving. Good day sagacious chairman, ever articulate and impeccable panel of judges,distinguished and assiduous coordinators, ubiquitous supermods,learned co-debaters and my ever beautiful and amiable audience/viewers. I am Miracy,a representative of the great and ever conscious Obafemi Awolowo University, a dissenter to the notion that the 1914 amalgamation of the Southern and Northern protectorates of Nigeria was a mistake. I therefore beseech you all of your utmost intent,rational reasoning,objectivity and your overwhelming sense of understanding.

Before delving further, I want to lucidly define some terms in the above topic.Going by the Wikipedia definition,"amalgamation is the process of combining or uniting multiple entities into one form". Amalgamation (synonymous to consolidation of multiple political or administrative entities such as municipalities,countries, districts,etc into one single entity.Historical,as contained in the topic above means based on or concerned with events in history of or relating to the character of history. Mistake means an error or fault.

Taking a tour down the historical lane,on January 1,1914,the British protectorates of Northern and Southern of Nigeria were amalgamated by Frederick Lugard,first baron lugard,a mercenary,soldier, explorer and colonial administrator to form a single entity. In 1906,Southern Nigeria was merged will the Lagos colony and was officially renamed as;The Colony and protectorate of Southern Nigeria. Eventually, the Southern and Northern protectorate of Nigeria was merged together to form a single colony of Nigeria on January 1,1914 at Zungeru in Niger state by lord Lugard.The unification was done mainly for economic reasons rather than political, the Northern protectorate of Nigeria had a budget deficit and were poor with inadequate resources for proper administration, so the colonial administration sought to offset this deficit. The merging was also done to aid effective administration of Nigeria as a whole,hence,a merging was required.

With absolute certitude, Nigeria is a place of differences and our unity in diversity is what makes us both beautiful and fascinating. However, being characterised by our differences does not pose any disadvantage,rather it presents opportunities for us to maximize the already available options. The amalgamation of 1914 have contributed greatly to the promotion of peace,love,unity and cooperation among various ethnic groups which have led to intertribal marriages, inter-ethnic relationships,etc. The unification borne the communion of males and females from both regions had helped in replenishing the northerners' economic, social, mental, and political inadequacies. With over 250 tribes spread across 36 states in a nation,we are exposed to different modes of dressing,cuisine,customs,methods,etc. Obviously, Nigeria is blessed with abundant manpower, skills and natural resourses from various ethnic groups which in the long run have led to rapid development in our dear country. The unification of various tribes have broaden the narrow horizons of the people and have exposed us to variety of languages, cultural heritages,music, etc. Thanks to the amalgamation,Nigeria government have been to generate revenue from tourism due to different cultural displays. In no doubt,the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern of protectorate of 1914 gave rise to what we have today;The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Truth be told,the amalgamation of 1914 was never a mistake but a blesing to Nigeria.Howbeit,having the idea that it was a mistake is equivalent to saying Nigeria and Nigerians are mistakes!claiming our dear unity is the cause of our present and past challenges is really absurd and it must be the greatest joke of the century. I hereby present a comparative situation for our esteem judges and viewers to ponder. The history of America mostly told today is that of its independence and glory but a careful look at the history would place her side by side with Nigeria in terms of amalgamation done by the Britain,It must be noted that the merging of provinces,regions and protectoratez have always been Britain's pattern in most of her colonies. America,just as Nigeria is a multi ethnic nation and was also colonised by Britain. Despite their diversities, America is said to be a great nation today,their achievements is as a result of their tolerance for diversity. If they had separated in their illusion of incompatibility and struggle for leadership,ethnicity, religious dominance and so on,what would we have called the great United States Of America of today that many envy?

Presently, Nigeria is in the grip of pernicious domestic terrorism, corruption,poverty,high level of unemployment, kidnapping for ransom and sundry of other violent crimes which have become so pervasive to make the country unstable. Who is to be blamed for all these misdeeds? Lord lugard? 1914 amalgamation?of course it is an absolute No!
The major problem facing Nigeria is the issue of bad leadership and the citizens don't got it wrong in the way our leaders emerge. Many who found themselves at the higher echelon of power did not merit such position which makes it difficulty for many of them to live up to expectations.
Nigeria is described as a big-for-nothing nation filled with corrupt and incompetent rulers,fraudsters and election riggers.Nigeria as one of the largest concentration of black people in a single country and one of the most endowed is punching far below its weight in global affairs.Rather than fixing what ails us our leaders engage their pastime in blaming our cultural differences and referring to our unity as a mistake. Inspite our problems, our leaders still traverse the globe with obsence swagger and hubris unmindful of others' negative perception of their country.

Fellow Nigerians, the acts of our leaders reeks of insensitivity, if not sheer Immorality. In a country of millions of unemployed youths and undergraduates,broken down infrastructure, poor social amenities, decaying educational any health care institutions,etc,our leaders still engages in worthless jamborees and squanders millions away just to massage their egos and satisfy their selfish interest at the expense of the public.Are these also the doing of Lugard or our rulers who prefers to fiddle around while their country gradually, if not exorably descends into sheer destruction?

Furthermore,another issue plaguing the country is ethnic and religious jingoism/chauvinism which played up to further divide the country .Rather than exploring our diversity to garner strength for our advancement, some few individuals are entrenching Nigeria problems/ lapses and continually blame the past amalgamation. Some incompetent leaders keep feeding the people with fallacies of incompatibility and succession as the only solution to our challenges in other to justify their failures.

In total sincerity, we coming to a conclusion that our unification was a mistake and the cause of our setbacks won't only portray us as intellectually lazy but also portray us as insincere and untruthful to ourselves. We Nigerians should be committed to the unity of the country and endeavor to correct the lapses instead of clamouring for succession and harping our merging as the albatross to the country. Just as an adage goes thus;"united we stand,divided we fall"

Thank you

References

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by boay(m): 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
boay: Debaters can now begin to puncture their contenders' arguments and respond to their punctured arguments.

You have 1 hour for this.

Goodluck!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Miracy(f): 12:55pm On Dec 28, 2013
[color=blue]references

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/southern_Nigeria_protectorate

thefreedictionary.com

wikipedia.com

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/merger_(politics)

www.goodreads.com/qoutes/tsg/amalgamation

www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/columns/2012-11-27-09-15/alade_fawole_on_teusday/item/5604_the_1914_amalgamation_and_the_nigerian_nation_I.html

google.com

oxford dictionary
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Davo93(m): 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2013
Standing on the existing protocol, kindly permit me to point out some inordinations in my opponents' write-up.

The Last Nazgûl:

Almagamation is therefore the process of combining or uniting multiple entities into a single form. Going by this definition, an almagamation is thus not a run of the mill merger, as the almagamating entities moult and divest themselves of their erstwhile pre-almagamation individual independent statuses by taking on the new form of the new union.

Your defination is wrong and moreso, I have not come across such word before in a dictionary or anywhere.

In the year 1914, a geographically demarcated piece of land known as Nigeria came into being, with the merger of the northern and southern protectorates by Lord Lugard. By this infamous action, Lugard waltzed his way into the annals of history. Lord Lugard is, without a shard of doubt, definitely writhing uneasily and frothing furiously in his grave in England, with his state of unrest brought about by his historical faux pas. Lugard was well aware of the incompatibility of the peoples on either side of the protectorate divide, hence he said ' the north and south are like oil and water, they cannot mix.' It is common knowledge that immiscible substances are best kept apart, yet Lugard who was obviously aware of the ominous consequences that would ensue from such a joinder, chose to foolhardily damn the consequences.
Do you realize there was no problem immediately the amalgamation was done and politically and economically, things appeared normal until the introduction of the Legislative Council which brought together representatives from the north and the southern parts of the country. So alledging Lugard purposely brought problem is unfounded as you claim.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 1:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
Nigeria had a very peaceful annexation if you ask me, whereby only signed documents brought the northern and southern protectorates together.

Davo, what do you mean by Peaceful?, that both parties agreed to merge?.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Davo93(m): 1:08pm On Dec 28, 2013
Quatermaine:

Davo, what do you mean by Peaceful?, that both parties agreed to merge?.
Thank you. I said peaceful and i mean peaceful. If you had taken time to study my write-up, you will see where i pointed out that some annexations came up after many wars and violent processes from the stakeholders. So if only signed documents brought Nigeria to existence without bloodshed, can we not say it is peaceful? Yes, it is definately peaceful.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Davo93(m): 1:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
Still standing on the existing protocol,

The Last Nazgûl:
... It thus goes without saying that 'Nigerians' on both sides of the 'protectorate' divide never sought the unification of the protectorate or in simpler terms, the creation of the Nigerian state. The stakeholders were thus not consulted, rather, an all important decision, one which shaped their destinies was taken by the colonial lords of the Nigerian manor. Thus, Nigeria as we know it today is a colonial contraption , a crige worthy artifact, a colonial Greek gift.

Agreed the amalgamation was forceful but do you also know it is very possible that we have many of the protectorates' members that were happy with it?

How do i mean? There are records that before the invasion by the British, many empires that were within the Nigerian territory had made efforts to unify the various tribes within West Africa. So, do you not see Lugard's action as a catalyst to the reaction?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
I will liken the birth of Nigeria to that of a man who was brought into existence as a result of a vicious molest incidence. After conception, the pregnancy of this man was not aborted despite the known unpalatable circumstances surrounding it and probable external influences against it. The baby was delivered, can we say that baby was a mistake?

Nice concept..

at times the baby could be a mistake.. Cases as when both couples did not plan to have a baby, I consider it a mistake because the couples had their own interest at heart at the expense of that of the baby's by virtue of coming into the world.

If you had sex with a lady and she becomes pregnant, what will be your first reaction?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Miracy(f): 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: Good afternoon Judges, Coordinators, my fellow debaters and the assembled audience, I am The Last Nazgul and I seek to support the topic of today's debate- Almagamation- a Historical mistake?

Encarta dictionary provides an unclear definition of 'almagamation' a word that lies at the heart of today's debate. It defines almagamation as ' the process of almagamating things into a united whole'. A slight tweaking of search terms turned up the following definition of almagamate- 'to combine two or more organizations or things into a unified whole'.

Almagamation is therefore the process of combining or uniting multiple entities into a single form. Going by this definition, an almagamation is thus not a run of the mill merger, as the almagamating entities moult and divest themselves of their erstwhile pre-almagamation individual independent statuses by taking on the new form of the new union.

In the year 1914, a geographically demarcated piece of land known as Nigeria came into being, with the merger of the northern and southern protectorates by Lord Lugard. By this infamous action, Lugard waltzed his way into the annals of history. Lord Lugard is, without a shard of doubt, definitely writhing uneasily and frothing furiously in his grave in England, with his state of unrest brought about by his historical faux pas. Lugard was well aware of the incompatibility of the peoples on either side of the protectorate divide, hence he said ' the north and south are like oil and water, they cannot mix.' It is common knowledge that immiscible substances are best kept apart, yet Lugard who was obviously aware of the ominous consequences that would ensue from such a joinder, chose to foolhardily damn the consequences.

The almagamation is best described as an ill advised move, an air headed fusation and a marriage doomed from the get-go. The tell tale signs were present but were ignored by those at the helm of affairs- Lugard and his colonial cronies- who chose to join two immiscible quantities- oil and water, in a harebrained venture,thus acting contrariwise to logic, in a bid to feather the nest of colonial economic exploitation, with the aborigines left holding the short straw. This premise is corroborated by Chief R. Akinjide who was quoted as saying, 'In fact, the so-called Nigeria created in 1914 was a complete fraud. It was not created in the interest of Nigeria or Nigerians, but in the interest of the British...''. It thus goes without saying that 'Nigerians' on both sides of the 'protectorate' divide never sought the unification of the protectorate or in simpler terms, the creation of the Nigerian state. The stakeholders were thus not consulted, rather, an all important decision, one which shaped their destinies was taken by the colonial lords of the Nigerian manor. Thus, Nigeria as we know it today is a colonial contraption , a cringe worthy artifact, a colonial Greek gift.

The unification of the protectorates has been touted as a historical mistake and that is without a glimmer of doubt, an aptly fitting phrase, as the joinder of the protectorates has turned out to be a gaffe of epic proportions, to put it lightly. Why is this so?
The books of Nigerian history are bloodied with well documented accounted of pseudo-deathly squabbles between the constituent parts of the nation, with the nation and one time embroiled in a seemingly endless symphony of coups and counter coups launched by coupists of Southern and Northern extraction, in frenzied bids to seize the reins of power. The January 1966 coup was spearheaded by idealistic igbo officers and was aptly named igbo coup and claimed the lives of several northerners. The Northerners soon licked and nursed their wounds and launched a reprisal coup of their own in July of the same year- a coup noted for it's bloodiness, with four consecutive days of bloodletting thrown into the fray for good measure. The plan by the colonial administration to almagamate people not of the same cultural background who lacked common similarities is the basis of our difficulties and back breaking struggles as a nation. The denizens of the Nigerian state are anything but peas in a pod, they are peoples that are as diverse as they come, divided along socio-cultural, eco-political, ideological and religious parallels,with the colonialists choosing to ignore the heterogenity of the people. The north possessed an islamic, authocratic, centralized clime anchored on aristocracy. The South was the exact opposite. Certain parts were Christian with a sprinkling of traditional religions, pseudo-democratic(with an 'impeacheable' Alaafin) and autochthonous (Igbo land)
Cracks soon began to show as erstwhile members of the protectorates soon began to angle for furtherance of their interests,showing deep seated animosity for each other and the nascent nation, with Yoruba sage and politician Awoke quoted as saying ' Nigeria is not only a geographical expression to which life was given by the diabolical almagamation of 1914,that almagamation will EVER r remain the most painful injury the British government inflicted on Southern Nigeria'. His compatriot from across the Niger, Tafawa Balewa was however less subtle and more outspoken about his disdain for the amalgamation mistake, hence he said ' the southern people that are swarming into this region( the north) are really intruders. we do not want them and they are not welcome here. The British government has been trying to make Nigeria into one country but the Nigerian people are different in every way including religion, language and aspiration. The fact that we are all Africans may have misguided the British. We here in the north , take it that ' Nigerian unity' is not for us'. The difference in aspiration soon came to light with the independence move spearheaded by the south. The North kicked against this move furiously, citing unreadiness., with Ahmadu Bello saying ' the mistake of 1914 has come to light'. Going by the above , it is obvious that the North and South have always been opposing forces, reminiscent of the Chinese yin and yang, and their differences are unignorable,with the notion of 'for the greater good' being far flung from their hearts with each side jostling for it's pound of flesh to the detriment of the Nigerian cause. Several anti- South riots had ensued in the North with 36-52 casualties ensuing after the independence move with Igbos bearing the brunt of such mob action. The bandwagon of errors birthed by the amalgamation mistake came to a head in 1967 with the outbreak of the civil war as the Igbos had clearly had enough and sought to steal a march on the others by seceding thus opting out of the problematic pairing. Their secession plot was met with stiff resistance by the other constituent parts under the umbrage of the nigerian military, with an all out altercation in form of a civil war ensuing. The igbos had sought to found their own nation named Biafra- land of the rising sun. The igbos had obviously realized their potential for greatness, one which was being stifled in the Nigerian clime. The oubreak of theNigerian civil war cannot be said to be a surprise as it was only a matter of time before a secession plot crystallized.
Till this very day, the Nigerian elements have remained crabs in a bucket, tugging the soul of the Nigerian nation in opposite direction with the resultant effect of the ship of state moving everywhere and nowhere. Modern day Nigeria battles with a series of plagues brought about by the amalgamation monstrosity- the Boko Haram ethno-religious insurgency, continuous incensed struggles for lofty position of power, shaky secession plots nursed by the Igbos under the umbrage of MASSOB, internecine clashes between major and minor ethnic groups on different scales and in different theaters, continuous angling for a larger chunk of the national cake with certain region
according to you,the amalgamation was borne out of administrative expediency to benefit the originator rather than the stake holder but I want to point it out that their motives might be self centered but it was of tremendous benefit to the people and I can't seen to find any evil out come of it. Many colonial administration wasnt really for the interest of the people but being able to bring something good out of it.can you please give some instances of the evil out come of the amalgamation that made it a mistake?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2013
Davo93: Standing on the existing protocol, kindly permit me to point out some inordinations in my opponents' write-up.

Your defination is wrong and moreso, I have not come across such word before in a dictionary or anywhere.

Do you realize there was no problem immediately the amalgamation was done and politically and economically, things appeared normal until the introduction of the Legislative Council which brought together representatives from the north and the southern parts of the country. So alledging Lugard purposely brought problem is unfounded as you claim.
The aforementioned mistake is a spelling error,one that's best attributed to the printer's devil. I however take the fall for the misplacement of letters. I also believe you are well aware of the intended word. The legislative council would never have come into being without the protectorate merger and the number of years before teething problems ensued is irrelevant. Lugard may not have brought problems on purpose, his 'oil and water' quote however gives him away as one who was well aware of the potential dire consequences of the joinder.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
Davo93: Thank you. I said peaceful and i mean peaceful. If you had taken time to study my write-up, you will see where i pointed out that some annexations came up after many wars and violent processes from the stakeholders. So if only signed documents brought Nigeria to existence without bloodshed, can we not say it is peaceful? Yes, it is definately peaceful.

i beg to disagree. It was not peaceful, both parties never agreed.. The northerners did not want the christainity and education of the south whereas the southerners never agreed to accept the legislative structure of the North ( sharia law for example)..

You said wars, but who was fighting who??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Davo93(m): 1:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
Quatermaine:
Nice concept..

at times the baby could be a mistake.. Cases as when both couples did not plan to have a baby, I consider it a mistake because the couples had their own interest at heart at the expense of that of the baby's by virtue of coming into the world.

If you had sex with a lady and she becomes pregnant, what will be your first reaction?
Yes, I may not want a baby in the first place, so also according to your proposition, there was no clear interests from the two protectorates to merge. So, if i did not propose to abort the pregnancy that came as a result of it, i believe that has layed credence to the fact that i have decided to have the baby. So after the birth of the baby, do you still call it a mistake? Obviously NO!

Think about this friend. smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Dhurmynick(m): 1:28pm On Dec 28, 2013
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 1:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
.The unification was done mainly for economic reasons rather than political, the Northern protectorate of Nigeria had a budget deficit and were poor with inadequate resources for proper administration, so the colonial administration sought to offset this deficit.
miracy.
like i said earlier, the Northerners where never poor people. They had fertile lands, their occupation was agriculture and believe me it was producing lots of yield. They were even richer than the southerners

The reason you stated above not true.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 1:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
Miracy: according to you,the amalgamation was borne out of administrative expediency to benefit the originator rather than the stake holder but I want to point it out that their motives might be self centered but it was of tremendous benefit to the people and I can't seen to find any evil out come of it. Many colonial administration wasnt really for the interest of the people but being able to bring something good out of it.can you please give some instances of the evil out come of the amalgamation that made it a mistake?
Going by the contents of your essay, it is pretty obvious you seek to look on the sunny side of things. There are however two sides to every coin. My essay is riddled with several instances of less than savoury consequences of the amalgamation action. For sake of emphasis, I choose to make mention of the 1953 Kano genocidal killings of Igbos, 1966 Igbo and anti-Igbo coups-thinly veiled tribal attacks and the mother of all woes- the civil war.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 1:35pm On Dec 28, 2013
Davo93: Yes, I may not want a baby in the first place, so also according to your proposition, there was no clear interests from the two protectorates to merge. So, if i did not propose to abort the pregnancy that came as a result of it, i believe that has layed credence to the fact that i have decided to have the baby. So after the birth of the baby, do you still call it a mistake? Obviously NO!

Think about this friend. smiley

i have my friend.

That's good of you to do that.. You are very much different from the british people who abandoned us and was busy looting our resources.. If the likes of you were present then, i would have been opposing the notion today.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Quatermaine: 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2013
davo: Truly, our diversity if not properly harnessed and continually encouraged to its positive side, there could be problem and this is the instance we find ourselves atimes.

very correct.

So what do you think is the root cause for the problems in which we find ourselves today?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2013
Modern day Nigeria battles with a series of plagues brought about by the amalgamation monstrosity- the Boko Haram ethno-religious insurgency, continuous incensed struggles for lofty position of power, shaky secession plots nursed by the Igbos under the umbrage of MASSOB, internecine clashes between major and minor ethnic groups on different scales and in different theaters, continuous angling for a larger chunk of the national cake with certain region feeling exploited with others bringing little or nothing to the revenue table, militancy et al.
@Nazgul, do you think all these negatives wouldn't have occurred if there were no amalgamation? Countries like South Sudan, Somalia, Niger Republic have their fair share of negatives despite their homogeneity/anti-amalgamation beliefs
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by Davo93(m): 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2013
Quatermaine:
i beg to disagree. It was not peaceful, both parties never agreed.. The northerners did not want the christainity and education of the south whereas the southerners never agreed to accept the legislative structure of the North ( sharia law for example)..

You said wars, but who was fighting who??
You didn't get that too well friend. I mean there was no violent reactions in most part of the new Nigeria after the amalgation was done or when it was in progress to avoid it.

As for annexation that went through wars before it was successful, take a look at New Mexico that was captured by the U.S. Army in August 1846 and then administered separately from Texas. Mexico acknowledged the loss of territory in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848. This was not a peaceful process.

Reference:

United States territorial acquisitions
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_territorial_acquisitions

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner:UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
Davo93:
I willingly admit that the hypothetical baby is not a mistake. However, we cannot ignore the stifling conditions the baby is born into, conditions which threaten the baby's rate of growth. Can you unflinchingly say the Nigerian baby has grown?( In my opinion, it's r.etarded,no offense). Can you safely say the Nigerian nation is a baby friendly environment given the fractious situation with peace a scarce commodity in many climes no thanks to ethno-religious misdeeds?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ogun To Reduce The Number Of Tertiary Institutions / 6 UNIZIK Final Year Students, Others Die Within 30 Days / See The Questions A Lecturer Set For Students Of LAUTECH (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.