Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary (6154 Views)

Top 10 Outdated And/or Made-up Words In Nigerian English / 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb / 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by john1035: 1:10am On Dec 27, 2013
All these words listed below don't exist. Next to them are the alternative words to use
1) Indigene - native.
There is no such word as indigene. You might find this word in some dictionaries but u can not find it in trusted dictionaries such as oxford, cambridge, longman...The word native should be used in its place.
Eg: Victor is an indigene of Abia (wrong)
Victor is a native of Abia (correct)

2) Disvirgin - deflower.
You can not even find this one in any dictionary
Eg: The girl has been disvirgined (wrong)
The girl has been deflowered (right)

3) Praticalize- pratice
You can also see this one in some dictionaries but not in trusted ones like the ones I mentioned earlier
Eg: I want you to praticalize this at home(wrong)
I want you to pratice this at home(right)

4) Cattle rearer - herder
There is no such word as cattle rearer or rearer. herder is the right word
Eg: Ugochukwu's father is a cattle rearer(wrong)
Ugochukwu's father is a herder(right)

*I am tired of typing* Other words are listed briefly below:
installmentally: Say I will pay in installments cos there is no word like installmentally
mannerless: Say she lacks manners cos there is no word like mannerless
opportuned: You can not say i was opportuned to meet him. Say it was an opportune moment to meet him
Convocate - convoke: Do not say convocate, say convoke. No such word as convocate
Gist (verb) - Chitchat: Gist can not take verb form so no words like gisted and gisting
Cunny - cunning: no such word as cunny, use cunning
You can make me gain from this tread by adding yours

If u gained from this, just click like.
Modified!!!

10 Likes

Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by KenJak(m): 1:20am On Dec 27, 2013
I'm suprised, that PRACTICALIZE,a university lecturer always use it. I do wonder if it's a new english. For the rest, I'm not suprised cos there's nothing you wont hear or see in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by adde: 1:55am On Dec 27, 2013
Get outa here man! If only you know how to spell "Indigen", you'd have seen it in the dictionary tongue
Over sabi dey worry you! Go find those in a dictionary. grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by castielo(m): 2:00am On Dec 27, 2013
john1035: All these words listed below don't exist. Next to them are the alternative words to use
Indigene - native.
Disvirgin - deflower.
Praticalize- pratice
Rearer - herder
Gist (verb) - chitchat
Cunny - cunning
Pepperish - peppery
Convocate - convoke
Other words are installmentally, jealous (verb), mannerless, opportuned
Though u might find them in some online dictionaries but they are not right
Poor attempt at a joke.. try harder next time! undecided
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by fingard02k(m): 2:11am On Dec 27, 2013
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by Localamos(m): 4:34am On Dec 27, 2013
When you think of the word "impeach", what comes to mind?

Now go check your dictionary and look up its meaning!
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by gedtalks(m): 5:57am On Dec 27, 2013
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by benny4wax(m): 7:26am On Dec 27, 2013
nice post op.............
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by Sodiq33(m): 8:33am On Dec 27, 2013
Edit Your Post @OP by Removing 'indigene' From The List Or What Type Of Dictionary Are You Using?
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by Olastep(m): 9:08am On Dec 27, 2013
Quite surprising
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by Hardheolar(m): 9:16am On Dec 27, 2013
Eyi tun yanì lénu oo.
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by alotofgrace(m): 9:41am On Dec 27, 2013
i am certain about installmentally.....by installment
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by jayseehe(m): 10:12am On Dec 27, 2013
adde: Get outa here man! If only you know how to spell "Indigen", you'd have seen it in the dictionary tongue
Over sabi dey worry you! Go find those in a dictionary. grin
dis guy no go skul. smh
Sodiq33: Edit Your Post @OP by Removing 'indigene' From The List Or What Type Of Dictionary Are You Using?
check Oxford dictionary. it's world's most trusted dictionary
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by jayseehe(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
castielo:
Poor attempt at a joke.. try harder next time! undecided

odas r learning all u can do is to call dis a joke
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2013
We don't need to scold the dude, we all learn in one way or the other. Thanks for the write up!
Re: List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary by Bestlily(f): 3:20pm On Dec 10, 2014
Nice write up dude...

(1) (Reply)

Riot In Uniabuja / ASUU Calls Off The Strike / Most Expensive University In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.