Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts (1143 Views)

Frozen Fish Comes Back To Life After Being Defrosted (Video, Pics) / Five Amazing Extinct Creatures That Aren’t Dinosaurs / New Feather Dinosaurs Discovered In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by Swash042(m): 10:15am On Dec 27, 2013
In an echo of Jurassic Park, experts believe
identifying and altering certain genes found in the
DNA of modern birds would mean genomes of the
prehistoric creatures could be engineered 20 million
years after they died out.
Oxford biochemist Dr Alison Woollard says it would be
theoretically possible to recreate species through the
DNA.
A mosquito was recently discovered which had the
blood of another animal in its stomach dating back 46
million years.
Dr Woollard said: “We know that birds are the direct
descendants of dinosaurs, as proven by an unbroken
line of fossils which tracks the evolution of the
lineage from creatures such as the velociraptor or T-
Rex through to the birds flying around today.
“The most famous of these is the Archaeopteryx, a
fossil which clearly shows the transition between
feathered dinosaurs and modern birds.
“This evolution implies that buried deep within the
DNA of today’s birds are switched-off genes that
control dinosaur-like traits.
“Could we ‘rewind’ evolution by switching these genes
back on and using them to guide the development of
that bird’s offspring, and its offspring’s offspring,
backwards?”
All animals and plants are related, sharing a common
ancestor that lived about 1.6 billion years ago.
To make a full genome, scientists would have to
combine millions of short fragments of nucleic acids in
exactly the right order, just like putting together an
enormous jigsaw puzzle.

Re: Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by UyiIredia(m): 8:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
Impossible. They don't have the elements required. A dinosaur sperm or egg, a few genes are useless. In fact, given the evolutionary distance (seen in vast anatomical differences) between dinosaurs and birds it is impossible for that to occur.
Re: Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by rioemmanuel(m): 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Impossible. They don't have the elements required. A dinosaur sperm or egg, a few genes are useless. In fact, given the evolutionary distance (seen in vast anatomical differences) between dinosaurs and birds it is impossible for that to occur.
Bro,U r back!
HBD
Re: Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by DonaldGenes(m): 8:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
I am bereft of what to say except you will pay me to comment fully.
Re: Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by juzo98(m): 12:21am On Dec 28, 2013
I watched a similar programme on discovery....they injected a dna of a dinosaur in an unhatched egg....when the egg hatched..the chick had a tail....

1 Like

Re: Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by Blakjewelry(m): 12:38pm On Dec 29, 2013
I will really like to see tham do it.
Re: Dinosaurs Could Be Brought Back To Life Using bird DNA, Experts by TundeCole(m): 8:24pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hmmm! When trouble sleep, science go wake am, wetin im dey fiiiiiiiind? ........

(1) (Reply)

My Laptop Is Killing Me... Help / Ijoy Reaper Plus Tank Review / Unbelievable! Burning Fire Can Charge Your Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.