Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,750 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors (6281 Views)

Nigerian Central Bank Rejects Sanctions On Stanbic IBTC Bank / Emefiele And The (near) Impossibility Of Governing A Nigerian Central Bank / Naira Slumps As Nigerian Central Bank Aims To Protect Reserves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by yoddy(m): 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
36STATES: If any of you writing these things here had lost money in the stock market crash of 2008 you would have known that Soludo was a disaster. Solude is a big time crook and doesn't have the qualification and the uprightness to run a sensitive institution like CBN. Sanusi is the best thing that happened to the central bank ever. Though a lot of corruption is still going on there, but that is a discussion for another day. Soludo was 100% aware of all the thieving happening in the banks by people like Mrs Ibru of Oceanic, Erastus Akingbole of GTB etc. OBJ, Soludo and Ndi Onyiuke was real axis of evil for investors in Nigeria when they were heading there respective offices.

Erastus Akingbole (sic) of GTB? Hmmm
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by olawalebabs(m): 9:17pm On Dec 29, 2013
Reading this thread make me laugh, I dont understand why people will not give SLS the honour he deserve, simply because he is a northerner. just imagine what will happen if Union bank collapse before he bail it out? Have you heard about the concept of 'too big to die' in management cum economics?
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Sigoal(m): 5:34am On Dec 30, 2013
yoddy:
Lol,GTB or Intercontinental. Also not akingbole bt Akingbola @ 36STATES make research wel b4 u post wrong tin here
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by MayorofLagos(m): 8:12am On Dec 30, 2013
Frank-C:
Sanusi has just a B.Sc in Economics and another in Islamic Studies in Sudan. He has neither M.Sc nor PhD in anything. He lectured B.Sc aspirants in ABU with B.Sc. We have discussed this guy severally here and if anybody wants to contradict my claim, it should be very easy to prove.

That was actually my problem with the guy and the system that made him CBN governor. That's really why he can believe that $50b can get lost from the nations coffers in 18 months. Most 3rd year Economics students will not even agree with such crap.

We need a replacement that has global exposure in this fast globalizing world. I really felt that Mansur Mukhtar woulve have been a better nominee but Yar'Adua felt otherwise and brought Sanusi. Now is the time to fix that problem and bring in an exposed man/woman. Anyway, the new CBN governor is very qualified. You will confirm this when he is announced. In my opinion, anyone who has not had stint in the top 20 business schools in the world nor the major multilateral UN level agencies should never near that office again.

I will disagree with this criteria.

1. We have had people serve in the top tier of our government, whether military or civilian regimes, who if they were Americans or English would be serving in the cabinet of their respective countries. Nigeria is not short on skilled professionals; the problem we have is indoctrination. Let us look at two names that my brothers in East throw around as high achievers - Soludo and Okonjo-Iweala.

Soludo is well accomplished intellectually but he lacks execution and strategy. He is academic but not political, it does not matter how many UN and global exposures he has on resume his acumen on political front is blunt. He exhibited that laxity as CBN Governor and after leaving the office he contested for Anambra state governorship and was outwitted by Obi. This year he tried to run again on PDP platform and he was again outwitted. He dumped PDP and joined APGA and was again outwitted. The man is not a good posterboy for Ibo politics or National politics; he belongs in academic field.

Okonjo-Iweala is a two-time finance minister and she is still struggling to get a good grip on decision making. Judging by her performance so far, its easy to see why Obasanjo removed her from Finance portfolio when she served under him. One must wonder if her position as Director in World Bank wasn't just for image. World bodies are required to maintain diversity in their staffing. Beside that, as a policy, the World Bank retain point of contacts for their high end clients, like Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq and so on. She has been running powerpoint slides so far since her return to the finance ministry and attending hearings in Assembly. What policy, if any, can we credit to her? She does not know how to execute, her capabilities is confined to analysis .

What we need is not necessarily someone who has international exposure or UN appointments, though it will be value added to such selection. Our priority ought to focus on models and by that I mean high achievers with track records we'd love to see repeat within the context of our own political landscape. Imagine that Nigeria is an employer and need to high manpower to manage the development and growth of our socio economic policies. At this stage of our democracy we need executioners. We have tons of papers and strategies o what to do and when to do it but unfortunately we are not blessed with transformers...people who are savvy at deploying and implementing the paper process. People who can map a policy into discrete modules and then expand the modules into a process model and step action or activity flow that mid level and low level staffers and managers can use to to efficiently operate the daily functions of their departments.

We must not keep hunting for analysts and developers when what we truly need is operators.

It is a blessing to have a person who is robust and well packaged with all these proficiencies.

My posterboy, a model, for this skillset i described is Mr Akinwunmi Adesina. Im not saying he should be put in CBN but he has a competency that should be repeated in other portfolios and departments and therefore we should look for people that have this executioner instinct and are self supervised and credible.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 8:16am On Dec 30, 2013
yoddy:

grin
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 8:30am On Dec 30, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

I will disagree with this criteria.

1. We have had people serve in the top tier of our government, whether military or civilian regimes, who if they were Americans or English would be serving in the cabinet of their respective countries. Nigeria is not short on skilled professionals; the problem we have is indoctrination. Let us look at two names that my brothers in East throw around as high achievers - Soludo and Okonjo-Iweala.

Soludo is well accomplished intellectually but he lacks execution and strategy. He is academic but not political, it does not matter how many UN and global exposures he has on resume his acumen on political front is blunt. He exhibited that laxity as CBN Governor and after leaving the office he contested for Anambra state governorship and was outwitted by Obi. This year he tried to run again on PDP platform and he was again outwitted. He dumped PDP and joined APGA and was again outwitted. The man is not a good posterboy for Ibo politics or National politics; he belongs in academic field.

Okonjo-Iweala is a two-time finance minister and she is still struggling to get a good grip on decision making. Judging by her performance so far, its easy to see why Obasanjo removed her from Finance portfolio when she served under him. One must wonder if her position as Director in World Bank wasn't just for image. World bodies are required to maintain diversity in their staffing. Beside that, as a policy, the World Bank retain point of contacts for their high end clients, like Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq and so on. She has been running powerpoint slides so far since her return to the finance ministry and attending hearings in Assembly. What policy, if any, can we credit to her? She does not know how to execute, her capabilities is confined to analysis .

What we need is not necessarily someone who has international exposure or UN appointments, though it will be value added to such selection. Our priority ought to focus on models and by that I mean high achievers with track records we'd love to see repeat within the context of our own political landscape. Imagine that Nigeria is an employer and need to high manpower to manage the development and growth of our socio economic policies. At this stage of our democracy we need executioners. We have tons of papers and strategies o what to do and when to do it but unfortunately we are not blessed with transformers...people who are savvy at deploying and implementing the paper process. People who can map a policy into discrete modules and then expand the modules into a process model and step action or activity flow that mid level and low level staffers and managers can use to to efficiently operate the daily functions of their departments.

We must not keep hunting for analysts and developers when what we truly need is operators.

It is a blessing to have a person who is robust and well packaged with all these proficiencies.

My posterboy, a model, for this skillset i described is Mr Akinwunmi Adesina. Im not saying he should be put in CBN but he has a competency that should be repeated in other portfolios and departments and therefore we should look for people that have this executioner instinct and are self supervised and credible.

Nice. You sound like an intellectual.
I believe it's possible to get a personality who c possess both the theoretical accumen and also the pragmatic experience at the same time.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 6:40am On Mar 26, 2018
Now,
Emefiele is the current CBN Governor, what can we say about him.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Lifestone(m): 7:50am On Mar 26, 2018
Joseph Oladele Danusi
Sanusi worked first as an Accountant in England, then with the Board of Customs and Excise in Nigeria. He joined the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in 1966 as a Deputy Manager. He became a Departmental Director in 1977, Chief Executive of the Securities and Exchange Commission (1978–1979), Executive Director, Monetary and Banking Policy (1979–1984), and Deputy Governor (1988–1990). Sanusi left the CBN to become managing director and Chief Executive ofUnited Bank for Africa (1990–1992), then managing director and Chief Executive of First Bank of Nigeria (1992–1998).[1] He was also Vice-Chairman of Nigeria Merchant Bank and Chairman of Banque Internationale du Benin.[2]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Trailer Driver In Northern Nigeria / 157 LASTMA Officers Sacked Over Misconduct / Benue Gov, Ortom Denies Making Hate Speech Against Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.