Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (25511 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by BlogStablecom(m): 3:37pm On Dec 28, 2013
Hello to all Nairalanders in the building. I want to take Computer Science Course (Comp Sci) in University [Because I"Love Everything About Computation"]; So while am still waiting for admission, I want to start a Web Development program (Programming - Java, Javascript, Python & PHP) and I need a good (rugged) Laptop. I've set a budget of N85k (N85,000). But, Does Brand (Like: Acer, Dell, HP or Lenovo) really matter, or determined a good Laptop? Any advice? I'm waiting with great anticipation to hear from you...

OH! Am I Dreaming? Can't Believe It, front page? Dancing Alingo.

2 Likes

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Capableben(m): 3:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
HP CORE I3[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Seun(m): 5:46pm On Dec 29, 2013
You need a first class CPU - core i7, core i5, or even core i3 - for fast compilation of Java code and quick testing of scripts.

You need to have as much RAM as possible so your system won't slow down when running IDE, browser, Apache, MySQL, etc at once.

You need a minimum of 720p resolution (1366 x 768, or 1280x800). You need the screen estate to reduce the overhead of app switching.

Your laptop should have decent battery life; at least 4 hours, so you won't be frustrated by PHCN. Otherwise you should get an inverter.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Davo93(m): 6:12pm On Dec 29, 2013
Seun:
You need to have as much RAM as possible so your system won't slow down when running IDE, browser, Apache, MySQL, etc at once.
Like what RAM? 4GB?

With those important features you have mentioned, could you please recommend a couple of model of laptops having them. Preferrably an HP laptop. Also within the price range the OP wrote.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Olugbenger(m): 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
Davo93: Like what RAM? 4GB?

With those important features you have mentioned, could you please recommend a couple of model of laptops having them. Preferrably an HP laptop. Also within the price range the OP wrote.

HP 2000-2d07EIA, HP 2000-2d05SE, HP Pavilion 15-e000sia, HP Pavilion g6-2243cl , HP Pavilion 15-e000se

Those are the best I3 laptops available in Nigeria within that range. The Hp 2000 for as low as 71,000 to the pavilion series which is as high 85,000. The design, keyboard, speaker quality etc varies though but all of them possess at least

*500G hard disk space
*4gig RAM
*I3-3110m, almost the most powerful I3 variant. I3 differs a lot.
*Intel HD 4000, extremely good and recent intel intergrated graphics card; much more better than the previous intel HD 3000 found on some I3 variants.
*windows 8
Etc

make your choice wisely. wink

2 Likes

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Davo93(m): 7:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

HP 2000-2d07EIA, HP 2000-2d05SE, HP Pavilion 15-e000sia, HP Pavilion g6-2243cl , HP Pavilion 15-e000se

Those are the best I3 laptops available in Nigeria within that range. The Hp 2000 for as low as 71,000 to the pavilion series which is as high 85,000. The design, keyboard, speaker quality etc varies though but all of them possess at least

*500G hard disk space
*4gig RAM
*I3-3110m, almost the most powerful I3 variant. I3 differs a lot.
*Intel HD 4000, extremely good and recent intel intergrated graphics card; much more better than the previous intel HD 3000 found on some I3 variants.
*windows 8
Etc

make your choice wisely. wink
GOD bless you sir! I think i will be opting for one of those Pavillion series you suggested.

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Okijajuju1(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
Davo93: GOD bless you sir! I think i will be opting for one of those Pavillion series you suggested.

HP Laptops?!!

No thanks..

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Davo93(m): 7:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
@Okija, Kindly explain what you mean. Are you suggesting that is not good?

My desire for HP is due to their good quality at reasonable prices.

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Okijajuju1(m): 9:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
Davo93: @Okija, Kindly explain what you mean. Are you suggesting that is not good?

My desire for HP is due to their good quality at reasonable prices.

I have used 3 HP Laptops in my life... Worst experience ever.

The first one I smashed after it kept crashing every 2 days..

The second one was the variant that had the finger print scanners et. al.. That one packed up in under one year and even HP Nigeria that sold me the darn thing couldn't help me out..

The third one I dashed out for similar reasons..

I would recommend a Dell anyday..

Just got a new 17.5inch Toshiba.. So far, so good.

HP is good for Desktops, but their laptops, I will never recommend to anyone..

6 Likes

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Davo93(m): 9:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hmmm... I am kinda con fused now. Thanks Okija. So which of the Dell Laptops will you recommend with the above features and not too expensive.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Olugbenger(m): 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
Davo93: GOD bless you sir! I think i will be opting for one of those Pavillion series you suggested.

Amen. God bless you too sir. wink

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Olugbenger(m): 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2013
Davo93: Hmmm... I am kinda con fused now. Thanks Okija. So which of the Dell Laptops will you recommend with the above features and not too expensive.

I'm afraid Okija_juju is right considering his first hand experience. Hp has the most negative reports. Some folks believe this is because it's the most populat brand in Nigeria.Though, there are cases and widely believed opinions which are over rated, Hp standard had fallen drastically over the years, this i agree with.

However, you might be lucky to get one of their decent products, varies for model too.

Dell for less risk, i think. grin

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Jensenelizz(m): 9:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
A laptop with good cpu,processing speed and large or massive ram........ I would advice the os to be windows 7 or ultimate....heard that its good for web programming....

Also good ba3 life cus na naija we dey
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Shedysworld(m): 9:27pm On Jan 02, 2014
The Ram and processor are the most important things to look out for. Higher Ram and processor give better performance.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Youngchukky245(m): 9:27pm On Jan 02, 2014
The most important of them all is
.....THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER.......
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by cycline404(m): 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
I can strongly recommend an HP Pro Book maybe 4540s series
It is very very strong and should be okay for your proposed work.
I have a cuz also offering comp science, i am planing the ProBook for him.
Remember do not make a mistake of not buying an INTEL.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by checkdate(m): 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
NICE SUBJECT.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Dannylux: 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
Alright.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by samnificent(m): 9:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
Front page
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by NEROSKY(m): 9:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
.. .
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Sike(m): 9:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
Okija_juju:

The second one was the variant that had the finger print scanners et. al.. That one packed up in under one year and even HP Nigeria that sold me the darn thing couldn't help me out..

Thanks. Noted
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by emmatok(m): 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
BlogStable.com:
Hello to all Nairalanders in the building. I want to take Computer Science Course (Comp Sci) in University [Because I"Love Everything About Computation"]; So while am still waiting for admission, I want to start a Web Development program (Programming - Java, Javascript, Python & PHP) and I need a good (rugged) Laptop. I've set a budget of N85k (N85,000). But, Does Brand (Like: Acer, Dell, HP or Lenovo) really matter, or determined a good Laptop? Any advice? I'm waiting with great anticipation to hear from you...

LENOVO THINKPADS are the best laptops i have used.

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Pangea: 9:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
Dell ke?
Avoid that brand at all cost!
Google 7 beeps of death and you will thank me later.
My dell inspiron is gathering dust under my table now!

May I suggest you buy ASUS products,
You will be glad you did!
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
fp tins
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
02/01/2014
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Ezegozie(m): 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
Okija_juju:

maybe the JUJU you are worshipping is seriously angry with you and therefore is manipulating your laptops.

The Hp pavilion G6 i bought is still so fast and serviceable

wetin you even wan use laptop do?

You wan use am do incantation?
lOL

5 Likes

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
Okija_juju:

Spot on bro! I had same bad experience with HP pavilion DV2700 series with finger print scanner. I bought my HP in HP centre in New Delhi circa 4-5 years ago, in less than 2 months, it developed flicker screen (the light source illuminating the screen developed a mind of its own. It will trip off and on and off and on). Next thing was over heating. The pc will get very hot (I fit use the heat make eba sef). The third was speaker. The burst. The fourth was incessant crashing. Fifth was poor battery. It couldn't hold charge up to 10minutes again. Finally I got fed up and ditched it after 5 months of hellish experience.

I got a dell inspiron 1464 at K.S. infosystems PVT LTD New Delhi circa 3-4 years ago. It came with core i3, 500gb and 4gb ram and 500mb graphics memory. I still use it till date. Although its got scratches on its body (I used this dell to type my final year project). This pc is still great and I still enjoy it. I've only changed its battery once and its charger twice.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
I got my HP 530 in JS3,5 Years ago,it still works splendidly today,only problems were when splashed Tea spoilt some Keys,and the Battery packing up(which is natural). HP all the way,I'm upgrading this Year,and the HP envy m6 is looking on Point,you might wanna check it out.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by lebienconnu: 9:42pm On Jan 02, 2014
Acer has never dissapointed me although i have never used any other product.

2 Likes

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by mouyoursawre: 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
For d hp, i can't advice my enemy to get one cos of d bitter experience i had with it, i used hp pavillion 2000 and hp probook, but it was a dismal dat they were nothing to write home about. I will suggest u get acer, its really a strong machine.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by nanizle(m): 9:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
Abegi.... All HP haters... Or ex hp users with bad experiences..

OP I will recommend HP any day any time.
HP makes the most beautiful laptops grin.

As for specs...
I'll recommend core i3 or i5. (i7 will probably be out of your stated budget)
> or = 4gb ram

>or = 500gb hdd

ps. HP laptops cab be pricy tho.

New laptops will come with win 8

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Sunymoore(m): 9:48pm On Jan 02, 2014
B-)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fix your Apple And Windows Laptop Fault Here At Cheap Price with warranty / Help! What Could Be Wrong With My Computer? / Boluwatife Aiki-Raji Appointed By Twitter As Lead Software Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.