Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Do You Accept Science Or Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Accept Science Or Religion? (694 Views)

Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? / If You Are Left Behind On Rapture Day, Will You Accept 666 Mark Of The Beast? / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mosesthedark: 4:27am On Dec 29, 2013
I just want to know your opinion. Do you accept science or religion or both?
Personally, i like science and religion and the two work together for me. But there are people who tend to side with one but not the other.
Which one do you side with?
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 4:38am On Dec 29, 2013
Science is incompatible with abrahamic religions

There might be other religions that science is compatible with.............

1 Like

Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by okeyxyz(m): 4:42am On Dec 29, 2013
mosesthedark: I just want to know your opinion. Do you accept science or religion or both?
Personally, i like science and religion and the two work together for me. But there are people who tend to side with one but not the other.
Which one do you side with?

There's no such thing as science vs religion(christianity). People who think so are just ignorant of what true christian doctrine is. Christianity acknowledges science 100-percent, only that it goes further beyond the realm of what is empirically testable. simples!!
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 4:53am On Dec 29, 2013
okeyxyz:

There's no such thing as science vs religion(christianity). People who think so are just ignorant of what true christian doctrine is. Christianity acknowledges science 100-percent, only that it goes further beyond the realm of what is empirically testable. simples!!

False
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by okeyxyz(m): 4:53am On Dec 29, 2013
Logicboy03: Science is incompatible with abrahamic religions

There might be other religions that science is compatible with.............

Rubbish!!! You are just as ignorant(no offense) as the majority. But it's no fault of yours though. True understanding of christian doctrine is a privilege endowed on the few...
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 4:59am On Dec 29, 2013
okeyxyz:

Rubbish!!! You are just as ignorant(no offense) as the majority. But it's no fault of yours though. True understanding of christian doctrine is a privilege endowed on the few...

You? And someone like you is one of the endowed few? grin grin grin

Tell me how the creation story found in genesis is compatible with science

Or how a dead man can come back to life in 3 days.......is that compatible with science?
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by okeyxyz(m): 5:18am On Dec 29, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yes nah!! cool

Logicboy03:

Or how a dead man can come back to life in 3 days.......is that compatible with science?

In your effort to exercise smugness, you display your ignorance(again, no fault of yours because that's majority thinking...). So let me address creation because I think you might be able to relate with it:

Science states it's observation that all of space, time and matter originated from the BIG BA.NG. The same science observes that whatever caused the big-bang must be outside the realms of matter, space and time. In other words: all of the universe came out of nothing. They simply refused to call it God because they cannot observe and test God. This is exactly the version of the bible: That God is unobservable in material terms, and that God created the universe out of nothing.

I could tell you about the resurrection but it'd be foolishness to you because science has not yet observed it. cool
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2013
okeyxyz:

Yes nah!! cool

In your effort to exercise smugness, you display your ignorance(again, no fault of yours because that's majority thinking...). So let me address creation because I think you might be able to relate with it:

Science states it's observation that all of space, time and matter originated from the BIG BA.NG. The same science observes that whatever caused the big-bang must be outside the realms of matter, space and time. In other words: all of the universe came out of nothing. They simply refused to call it God because they cannot observe and test God. This is exactly the version of the bible: That God is unobservable in material terms, and that God created the universe out of nothing.

I could tell you about the resurrection but it'd be foolishness to you because science has not yet observed it. cool

Tell me how you do it.....how do u decieve yourself that you are making sense?
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 7:37am On Dec 29, 2013
okeyxyz:

Yes nah!! cool

Science states it's observation that all of space, time and matter originated from the BIG BA.NG. The same science observes that whatever caused the big-bang must be outside the realms of matter, space and time.

Can you provide the scientific paper that states this?. . . When will you guys stop telling lies for Jesus?. . .

In other words: all of the universe came out of nothing. They simply refused to call it God because they cannot observe and test God. This is exactly the version of the bible: That God is unobservable in material terms, and that God created the universe out of nothing.

Where does the bible state this?. . .According to the bible god was all over the place fighting along side humans, appearing to some of them and showing them his body parts, addressing his chosen people through public speech, fighting along side them, performing magnificent miracles, even indulging with competiotion with other gods to prove himself etc. . . .Again where is it written that god is not observable in material tems in the bible?. . .Pls try and know what the science is and what it is saying. . .Stop telling lies for Jesus. . .

I thought you said science agrees with christianity, now that you have been asked to show it you are going around chasing your long tail as always. . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by okeyxyz(m): 11:45pm On Dec 29, 2013
mazaje:

Can you provide the scientific paper that states this?. . . When will you guys stop telling lies for Jesus?. . .

shocked shocked shocked What is it with you atheist evangelist?? You are so consumed with dismantling christianity that you'd cut off your nose to spite your face. This obsession has made you take leave of sound logic that you'd oppose a well accepted scientific opinion, as long as it puts you in opposition to christianity. SMH!!

I watched darwkins some time ago do something similar(and the atheist audience were actually applauding him) by saying that it'd be better to be se.xually abused as a child than to be raised in a religious home.

I'm not even gonna entertain your challenge because it'd be dignifying willful ignorance. Better still, you should cite any scientific opinion contrary to what I claimed.

mazaje:
Where does the bible state this?. . .According to the bible god was all over the place fighting along side humans, appearing to some of them and showing them his body parts, addressing his chosen people through public speech, fighting along side them, performing magnificent miracles, even indulging with competiotion with other gods to prove himself etc. . . .Again where is it written that god is not observable in material tems in the bible?. . .Pls try and know what the science is and what it is saying. . .Stop telling lies for Jesus. . .

Again, willful ignorance at play here. You obviously don't know anything about bible accounts, else you wouldn't be here fighting what is quite basic doctrines.

mazaje:
I thought you said science agrees with christianity, now that you have been asked to show it you are going around chasing your long tail as always. . .

Bros, I don tire for you oo. Everything you said so far is nothing but a projection of your willful bias and imaginary enemies. I said "christianity agrees with science", not "science agrees with christianity". If you cannot differentiate between these two sentences, then you have no business engaging in philosophical debates. cool
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Afrobasic(m): 12:37am On Dec 30, 2013
Science and religion compatible

Anyone that tells you they are totally compatible needs brain surgery.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 30, 2013
Afrobasic: Science and religion compatible

Anyone that tells you they are totally compatible needs brain surgery.

grin same thing Josh told me on a thread earlier.

I then asked him to explain the resurrection of Jesus christ in the light of science.

You needed to see how he responded with a single statement containing three logical fallacies (red herring, strawman, non-sequitor).

3 Likes

Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 4:57am On Dec 30, 2013
okeyxyz:

shocked shocked shocked What is it with you atheist evangelist?? You are so consumed with dismantling christianity that you'd cut off your nose to spite your face. This obsession has made you take leave of sound logic that you'd oppose a well accepted scientific opinion, as long as it puts you in opposition to christianity. SMH!!

I watched darwkins some time ago do something similar(and the atheist audience were actually applauding him) by saying that it'd be better to be se.xually abused as a child than to be raised in a religious home.

I'm not even gonna entertain your challenge because it'd be dignifying willful ignorance. Better still, you should cite any scientific opinion contrary to what I claimed.

That is all you guys say when caught lying. . .You are a liar. . .Post scientific papers that support the claim you made or admit that you lied simple. . .

Again, willful ignorance at play here. You obviously don't know anything about bible accounts, else you wouldn't be here fighting what is quite basic doctrines.

What are you on about. . .You said that god is unobservable in material terms, but the bible does not support that since acording to the bible this god was all over the place, people today still claim to speak to god, hear him, see him appear to them etc . . .so what exactly are you talking about?. . .

Bros, I don tire for you oo. Everything you said so far is nothing but a projection of your willful bias and imaginary enemies. I said "christianity agrees with science", not "science agrees with christianity". If you cannot differentiate between these two sentences, then you have no business engaging in philosophical debates. cool

Which of the scientific fields of science does christianity agree with?. . .Cosmology, evolution, astronomy, physics, chemistry etc. . .Science is purely naturalistic. . .Christianity involves the supernatural so how do they agree?. . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 30, 2013
Where is Okeyzkz
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Kei144(m): 7:29am On Dec 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

An understanding of Gen 1:6 is necessary in order to understand what happened during Noah's flood. In my form 1 in secondary school, we started Geography as follows:"The earth was once a part of the sun. It broke away (the big bang theory) as a very hot mass and has been cooling ever since."

As the cooling process continued, you now get to Genesis 1. At a stage, the earth crust formed, but water was still in gaseous form. Water vapor at the outermost part of the atmosphere would be the first to condense. The condensed water was held at the outermost part of the atmosphere by centrifugal force due to the rotation of the earth. With time, water vapor in every section of the atmosphere began to condense and both centripetal and centrifugal forces were at work. Centripetal force pulled condensed water down to the earth crust, while centrifugal force forced water that condensed in the upper atmosphere towards to rim of the atmosphere, so that a thin layer of water actually surrounded the atmosphere. That is Ge 1:6 for you. An expanse of air now separated the water on the ground (earth crust) from the water above the atmosphere.

Ge. 2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created. When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens —
Ge. 2:5 and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth [Or land; also in verse 6] and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth [Or land; also in verse 6] and there was no man to work the ground,
Ge. 2:6 but streams [Or mist] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground —

While water above the atmosphere surrounded the earth, the earth was more like a greenhouse. Weather (temperature) everywhere was the same. The water on the ground was very small; so, rain was impossible. Wind was not possible because wind requires temperature, and hence pressure, difference. It was also not possible to see the sun directly from the ground because the sun was shielded by the water above the atmosphere. All the harsh weather you see today was nonexistent. The weather was mild and always the same. That may explain why people lived close to 1,000 years.

Ge. 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month — on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.
Ge. 7:12 And rain fell on the earth for forty days and forty nights.

Can you imagine a little child who puts his finger in detergent water and brings out the hand from the water separating the thumb from the first finger and then blows on the film that forms between the thumb and first finger thereby creating a big bubble, which he now proudly shows off to another child? Can you imagine the other child putting his finger in the bubble, causing the bubble to collapse? That was what led to Noah's flood. God pierced the water above the atmosphere (probably using an asteroid, a meteorite, or whatever) and air that was trapped beneath the water rushed above the water. The water collapsed, leading to the deluge. The initial time of this water collapse was phenomenal. Thermodynamics experts can easily model it with appropriate dynamical equations. Since the centrifugal force was least at the poles, most of the initial fall of water came down at the poles with attending thermodynamical reaction that froze everything instantaneously. That is why animals that should more appropriately belong to warmer parts of the earth are found frozen in Siberia, Russia. When the animals frozen in the ice of Siberia are dug out, freshly-eaten leaves are discovered in their stomachs, meaning that these animals had just finished eating the leaves when they were frozen to death.

As fell from the sky, God also caused the springs of the great deep (molten lava) to burst forth. This means massive volcanic action and earthquake, which made huge parts of the earth crust to depress and some other parts to rise up. The excess water that fell from the sky ultimately collected in the huge depressions, forming oceans and seas. The raised portions of the earth crust formed the continents.

Some people try to distance science from Bible, but without knowledge of science, you won't be able to understand what I have described here; a great proof that the Bible is accurate.
>

https://www.nairaland.com/1570246/show-me-just-one-verse...just#20498403
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 7:30am On Dec 30, 2013
Kei144:

An understanding of Gen 1:6 is necessary in order to understand what happened during Noah's flood. In my form 1 in secondary school, we started Geography as follows:"The earth was once a part of the sun. It broke away (the big bang theory) as a very hot mass and has been cooling ever since."

As the cooling process continued, you now get to Genesis 1. At a stage, the earth crust formed, but water was still in gaseous form. Water vapor at the outermost part of the atmosphere would be the first to condense. The condensed water was held at the outermost part of the atmosphere by centrifugal force due to the rotation of the earth. With time, water vapor in every section of the atmosphere began to condense and both centripetal and centrifugal forces were at work. Centripetal force pulled condensed water down to the earth crust, while centrifugal force forced water that condensed in the upper atmosphere towards to rim of the atmosphere, so that a thin layer of water actually surrounded the atmosphere. That is Ge 1:6 for you. An expanse of air now separated the water on the ground (earth crust) from the water above the atmosphere.

Ge. 2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created. When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens —
Ge. 2:5 and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth [Or land; also in verse 6] and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth [Or land; also in verse 6] and there was no man to work the ground,
Ge. 2:6 but streams [Or mist] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground —

While water above the atmosphere surrounded the earth, the earth was more like a greenhouse. Weather (temperature) everywhere was the same. The water on the ground was very small; so, rain was impossible. Wind was not possible because wind requires temperature, and hence pressure, difference. It was also not possible to see the sun directly from the ground because the sun was shielded by the water above the atmosphere. All the harsh weather you see today was nonexistent. The weather was mild and always the same. That may explain why people lived close to 1,000 years.

Ge. 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month — on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.

Can you imagine a little child who puts his finger in detergent water and brings out the hand from the water separating the thumb from the first finger and then blows on the film that forms between the thumb and first finger thereby creating a big bubble, which he now proudly shows off to another child? Can you imagine the other child putting his finger in the bubble, causing the bubble to collapse? That was what led to Noah's flood. God pierced the water above the atmosphere (probably using an asteroid, a meteorite, or whatever) and air that was trapped beneath the water rushed above the water. The water collapsed, leading to the deluge. The initial time of this water collapse was phenomenal. Thermodynamics experts can easily model it with appropriate dynamical equations. Since the centrifugal force was least at the poles, most of the initial fall of water came down at the poles with attending thermodynamical reaction that froze everything instantaneously. That is why animals that should more appropriately belong to warmer parts of the earth are found frozen in Siberia, Russia. When the animals frozen in the ice of Siberia are dug out, freshly-eaten leaves are discovered in their stomachs, meaning that these animals had just finished eating the leaves when they were frozen to death.

As fell from the sky, God also caused the springs of the great deep (molten lava) to burst forth. This means massive volcanic action and earthquake, which made huge parts of the earth crust to depress and some other parts to rise up. The excess water that fell from the sky ultimately collected in the huge depressions, forming oceans and seas. The raised portions of the earth crust formed the continents.

Some people try to distance science from Bible, but without knowledge of science, you won't be able to understand what I have described here; a great proof that the Bible is accurate.
>

1 Like

Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 30, 2013
Kei144:

>

You believe in science;

1) Yet you believe that a man like you lived up to 600 years?

2) So in your explanation 'The weather' is the reason people lived for up to a thousand years?? grin grin

3)Every scientific explanation you gave up there is pure and total bulls.hit.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by okeyxyz(m): 8:57am On Dec 30, 2013
mazaje:
That is all you guys say when caught lying. . .You are a liar. . .Post scientific papers that support the claim you made or admit that you lied simple. . .

Bros, I told you already, there's no way I'm gonna glorify your obvious lack of scientific knowledge with a citation. I state here again and categorically: the opinion in the scientific community is that whatever the cause of the bid b.ang, it must be spaceless, timeless and immaterial, in other words, it transcends the observable universe, which is precisely how the bible's been describing God and his works(miracles). You better do some actual research before you continue to tumble yourself in the mud of ignorance. If you(or anybody for that matter. I see @logicboy hiding under the table grin) really think my assertions are wrong, then provide an authoritative citation to the contrary. Demonstrate to us that you actually know some science. The only reason you oppose me is because I carry the label "christian!!" rather than because I'd made a false claim. Your anti-christian perversions has caused you attack the same science you claim is your bible. Now breeze don blow and we don see fowl nyash.... You'd been pretending to have knowledge, now your ignorance is made plain.

mazaje:
What are you on about. . .You said that god is unobservable in material terms, but the bible does not support that since according to the bible this god was all over the place, people today still claim to speak to god, hear him, see him appear to them etc . . .so what exactly are you talking about?. . .

Again, you attempt to refute my christian assertions but yet unable to provide any bible reference to contradict me.

mazaje:
Which of the scientific fields of science does christianity agree with?. . .Cosmology, evolution, astronomy, physics, chemistry etc. . .Science is purely naturalistic. . .Christianity involves the supernatural so how do they agree?. . .

grin grin grin Bros, I'm actually tired of saying "You are ignorant...". You just keep entangling yourself more and more. You seem to require me to divide science into acceptable and non-acceptable segments. Please tell us how cosmology is a different(or more) science than physics, or chemistry, or whatever field of science. Why do you feel the need to ask me which of them christianity supports?? What part of "I support science don't you understand??" The fact that your are dividing them as if some are "more science" than others..., mehn!! I don tire, it's obvious I'm wasting my time, unless you come up with some proper method to challenge me.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 10:26am On Dec 30, 2013
okeyxyz:

Bros, I told you already, there's no way I'm gonna glorify your obvious lack of scientific knowledge with a citation. I state here again and categorically: the opinion in the scientific community is that whatever the cause of the bid b.ang, it must be spaceless, timeless and immaterial, in other words, it transcends the observable universe, which is precisely how the bible's been describing God and his works(miracles). You better do some actual research before you continue to tumble yourself in the mud of ignorance. If you(or anybody for that matter. I see @logicboy hiding under the table grin) really think my assertions are wrong, then provide an authoritative citation to the contrary. Demonstrate to us that you actually know some science. The only reason you oppose me is because I carry the label "christian!!" rather than because I'd made a false claim. Your anti-christian perversions has caused you attack the same science you claim is your bible. Now breeze don blow and we don see fowl nyash.... You'd been pretending to have knowledge, now your ignorance is made plain.

The scientific consensus is that no one know what caused the big bang. . . .Scientist have no position on what caused it. . .Saying that it must be immaterial, spaceless, timeless etc is your own making. . .Some of them have posited that the multiverse theory of a cyclical universes. . .How you came up with scientist saying that the cause of the big bang is timeless, spaceless etc is just what I want you to provide evidence for. . .You made the statement so provide the evidence. . .

Again, you attempt to refute my christian assertions but yet unable to provide any bible reference to contradict me.

Now its biblical evidence, eh?. . .The bible talks about god addressing people through public speech and showing his body parts to some of them, how is that not observing him through material terms?. . .When men were primitive their god was all over the place with them, now that they are advanced he ran away , eh?. . .

grin grin grin Bros, I'm actually tired of saying "You are ignorant...". You just keep entangling yourself more and more. You seem to require me to divide science into acceptable and non-acceptable segments. Please tell us how cosmology is a different(or more) science than physics, or chemistry, or whatever field of science. Why do you feel the need to ask me which of them christianity supports?? What part of "I support science don't you understand??" The fact that your are dividing them as if some are "more science" than others..., mehn!! I don tire, it's obvious I'm wasting my time, unless you come up with some proper method to challenge me.

Shouting that am ignorant without pointing it out is not a point when arguing. . .Ok, let me break it down for you. . .The scientific explantion for how humans came about is that we evolved from other primates. . .Which part of the christian teaching supports or agrees with that?. . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Kei144(m): 10:54am On Dec 30, 2013
oluafolabi:

You believe in science;

1) Yet you believe that a man like you lived up to 600 years?

2) So in your explanation 'The weather' is the reason people lived for up to a thousand years?? grin grin

3)Every scientific explanation you gave up there is pure and total bulls.hit.

Actually, weather is not the main reason why Adam, Methuselah, Noah and others lived close to 1,000 years. The reason is that while Adam was in the Garden of God, he had constant supply of divine life, which would have made him to live forever. But then God kicked him out of his garden; he became disconnected from the source of life. Even though he was full of life then, exponential decay set in. Fortunately, the rate of depletion of life then was quite low, probably due to low amount of sin and climatic conditions. Over the centuries and millennia, the rate of depletion of life worsened, as sin increased and climatic conditions worsened, leading to reduced lifespan.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 12:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
Kei144:

Actually, weather is not the main reason why Adam, Methuselah, Noah and others lived close to 1,000 years. The reason is that while Adam was in the Garden of God, he had constant supply of divine life, which would have made him to live forever. But then God kicked him out of his garden; he became disconnected from the source of life. Even though he was full of life then, exponential decay set in. Fortunately, the rate of depletion of life then was quite low, probably due to low amount of sin and climatic conditions. Over the centuries and millennia, the rate of depletion of life worsened, as sin increased and climatic conditions worsened, leading to reduced lifespan.

What is this NONSENSE!!!!!. . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Joshthefirst(m): 12:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
Both.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
Joshthefirst: Both.
As long as the science doesn't contradict the Bible or can't be streamlined, sewn, stitched such that it will fit into what the Bible says. If science says people are born gay, wgaf what science says. The Bible overrules that.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Joshthefirst(m): 2:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
aManFromMars:
As long as the science doesn't contradict the Bible or can't be streamlined, sewn, stitched such that it will fit into what the Bible says. If science says people are born gay, wgaf what science says. The Bible overrules that.
well science doesn't say people are born gay, it states the opposite. I accept science and the bible. Just that the bible deals with things science cannot deal with.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 30, 2013
I used 'if'. Are people born heterosexual?
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 2:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Joshthefirst: well science doesn't say people are born gay, it states the opposite. I accept science and the bible. Just that the bible deals with things science cannot deal with.

It is a lie, show us the scientific study thats says all people are born heterosexuals. . . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Joshthefirst(m): 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
mazaje:

It is a lie, show us the scientific study thats says all people are born heterosexuals. . . .
why would a scientific study need to be conducted to see if people are born heterosexual? Our very physiology is enough to tell us that people are born with an affinity for the opposite sex and every other position is unnatural. This is the kind of foolish question that one would ask when trying to make room for an abnormality instead of trying to correct it.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by okeyxyz(m): 2:51am On Dec 31, 2013
mazaje:

The scientific consensus is that no one know what caused the big bang. . . .Scientist have no position on what caused it. . .Saying that it must be immaterial, spaceless, timeless etc is your own making. . .Some of them have posited that the multiverse theory of a cyclical universes. . .How you came up with scientist saying that the cause of the big bang is timeless, spaceless etc is just what I want you to provide evidence for. . .You made the statement so provide the evidence. . .

Finally!!! I knew you were gonna expose yourself as lacking the (proper) understanding of the scientific documents. Because if you did, you wouldn't be opposing me, you'd know that I'd merely interpreted the document to be as clear as possible, even to a non-scientist. But people like you go about insisting that one gives a presentation to reflect the jargons and verbosities in the technical document, meanwhile you don't even understand them yourself. The bible describes people like this(like you) as following the letters(jargons, literalness) of the law rather than the spirit(principles, understanding) of the law, for the letter kills(is hard, misleads) but the spirit gives life(makes clear, liberates)... Now let me break it down for you:

Every observable aspect of the known universe, ie: space, time and matter was created by the big-bang, correct?? So what does that mean? It means that before the big-bang, there was no space, no time, and no matter, There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! correct?? It then follows that whatever it is that caused the big-bang, it must be spaceless, timeless and immaterial, since space, time and matter did not exist before big-bang.

So bros, while you may have demonstrated that you'd seen the scientific document, I on the other hand has shown that I understood it so well that I'm able to break it down so that a five year old would understand it. GBAM!!! Oya! clap for me. cool

mazaje:
Now its biblical evidence, eh?. . .The bible talks about god addressing people through public speech and showing his body parts to some of them, how is that not observing him through material terms?. . .When men were primitive their god was all over the place with them, now that they are advanced he ran away , eh?. . .

Just like in the Big-bang above, you don't understand what you talk about. You are misled(through no fault of yours). I tell you now that those people in the old testament thought they saw God but in reality they were witnessing the operations/manifestations of angels. This was so because it was the era of THE LAW, and in that era(while the law was still standing) it is impossible to see/know/understand God. I know you don't understand what I'm saying because you don't even understand the christian principle but I'm just putting it out just in case you'd want to investigate more, else I'm merely casting pearls before swine(matthew 7:6) grin grin grin choi!!!

mazaje:
Shouting that am ignorant without pointing it out is not a point when arguing. . .Ok, let me break it down for you. . .The scientific explantion for how humans came about is that we evolved from other primates. . .Which part of the christian teaching supports or agrees with that?. . .

Again, you(and most people) are misled. The proposition that we came about through Darwinian evolution is an interpretation rather than a demonstration. There is no scientific data anywhere demonstrating this. Just like the proposition that we came about through creation is also an interpretation and the data does not demonstrate this. The scientific data simply shows evidence of relationships/similarities. Now the proponents of Darwinian evolution interpret these relationships as proof of common ancestry while people like me interpret the same data as proof of common design/designer. The raw data itself does not have an opinion, simples!! The process of Darwinian evolution has never been observed/documented anywhere, whether in the wild, in the lab or outerspace. Not one observation, yet you want to push it as scientific fact. How can it be scientific fact if it cannot be tested?? At best, it is a hypothesis, not a theory.

You may claim that you need millions of years to demonstrate Darwinian evolution. Again this is fallacy, I don't need you to demonstrate how monkeys turned to man, but what we require of you to demonstrate Darwinian evolution is to show us where this process has ever occurred in DNA which is the most basic unit of life. You don't need years to demonstrate this. Nowhere has any scientist been able to generate DNA from non-living material. Nowhere has has it ever been observed that a dog DNA has evolved into a non-dog DNA. Mind you, I'm not talking about mutation, because mutation is clearly no evolution.
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 3:06am On Dec 31, 2013
Joshthefirst: why would a scientific study need to be conducted to see if people are born heterosexual? Our very physiology is enough to tell us that people are born with an affinity for the opposite sex and every other position is unnatural. This is the kind of foolish question that one would ask when trying to make room for an abnormality instead of trying to correct it.

Wrong, not all people are born with that, others are born with the affinity for people of the same sex, even some animals display homosexual tendencies. . . .The scientific position is that you can not chose your sexuality. . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Nobody: 3:09am On Dec 31, 2013
I accept truth, which is science.
Spirituality and religion have been called on to fill in the gaps that science did not understand - anonymous
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by mazaje(m): 3:23am On Dec 31, 2013
okeyxyz:

Finally!!! I knew you were gonna expose yourself as lacking the (proper) understanding of the scientific documents. Because if you did, you wouldn't be opposing me, you'd know that I'd merely interpreted the document to be as clear as possible, even to a non-scientist. But people like you go about insisting that one gives a presentation to reflect the jargons and verbosities in the technical document, meanwhile you don't even understand them yourself. The bible describes people like this(like you) as following the letters(jargons, literalness) of the law rather than the spirit(principles, understanding) of the law, for the letter kills(is hard, misleads) but the spirit gives life(makes clear, liberates)... Now let me break it down for you:

Every observable aspect of the known universe, ie: space, time and matter was created by the big-bang, correct?? So what does that mean? It means that before the big-bang, there was no space, no time, and no matter, There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! correct?? It then follows that whatever it is that caused the big-bang, it must be spaceless, timeless and immaterial, since space, time and matter did not exist before big-bang.

Why do you keep projecting your ignorance on science?. . .That is why I asked you to provide the scientific paper that says so. . .Science is quite on the nature of the cause of the big bang. . .I have told you that many models have been put forth. . ..Some of them have posited that the multiverse theory of a cyclical universes, which says that this universe was came from another universe. . .If that is true because the theory is gaining support then where does this timeless, spaceless, immaterial hypothesis of your come from?. . .Science is silent on the cause of the big bang you just put forth your own belief which has nothing to do with science. . .

So bros, while you may have demonstrated that you'd seen the scientific document, I on the other hand has shown that I understood it so well that I'm able to break it down so that a five year old would understand it. GBAM!!! Oya! clap for me. cool

You have just shwon that you do not know what the science is all about. . .the multiverse theory of a cyclical universes defeasts your position, am not saying that it is true but it is one of the scientific positions out there, science is what discovered the big bang and science is what will tell you about the nature and the origin of the big bang , not religion, so FAIL!. . .

Just like in the Big-bang above, you don't understand what you talk about. You are misled(through no fault of yours). I tell you now that those people in the old testament thought they saw God but in reality they were witnessing the operations/manifestations of angels. This was so because it was the era of THE LAW, and in that era(while the law was still standing) it is impossible to see/know/understand God. I know you don't understand what I'm saying because you don't even understand the christian principle but I'm just putting it out just in case you'd want to investigate more, else I'm merely casting pearls before swine(matthew 7:6) grin grin grin choi!!!

It was written that Moses said saw god face to face, it was also written that god showed him his back parts, etc. . .thousands of years later here you are telling me that they didn't see god but angels. . .If you are not happy with what was written go write your own bible and stop speaking NONSENSE. . .They said they say god. . .You said they didn't , tear off those parts from your bible and go write your own. . .They said they saw god and that settles it. . .Anything else you say is your own making. . .

Again, you(and most people) are misled. The proposition that we came about through Darwinian evolution is an interpretation rather than a demonstration. There is no scientific data anywhere demonstrating this. Just like the proposition that we came about through creation is also an interpretation and the data does not demonstrate this. The scientific data simply shows evidence of relationships/similarities. Now the proponents of Darwinian evolution interpret these relationships as proof of common ancestry while people like me interpret the same data as proof of common design/designer. The raw data itself does not have an opinion, simples!! The process of Darwinian evolution has never been observed/documented anywhere, whether in the wild, in the lab or outerspace. Not one observation, yet you want to push it as scientific fact. How can it be scientific fact if it cannot be tested?? At best, it is a hypothesis, not a theory.

You may claim that you need millions of years to demonstrate Darwinian evolution. Again this is fallacy, I don't need you to demonstrate how monkeys turned to man, but what we require of you to demonstrate Darwinian evolution is to show us where this process has ever occurred in DNA which is the most basic unit of life. You don't need years to demonstrate this. Nowhere has any scientist been able to generate DNA from non-living material. Nowhere has has it ever been observed that a dog DNA has evolved into a non-dog DNA. Mind you, I'm not talking about mutation, because mutation is clearly no evolution.

I asked you a simple question and you went off tangent, the scientific explanation for how we human got here is through evolution, if christainity agrees with science they all you need to do is show how it does. . .What is all these long epistle that fails to point anything got to do with me?. . .
Re: Do You Accept Science Or Religion? by Joshthefirst(m): 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
mazaje:

Wrong, not all people are born with that,
of course, I have noted that there are unnatural exceptions which can be corrected through surgery and such, I'm sure you get what I'm speaking of.

mazaje: others are born with the affinity for people of the same sex,
nope. How does this mirror physiologically?

mazaje: even some animals display homosexual tendencies. . . .
unnatural, as I said.

mazaje: The scientific position is that you can not chose your sexuality. . .

nope. Our very visible and observable and testable physiology shows natural use, and distinguishes unnatural use.
Science is observable, testable, knowledge of facts.

(1) (Reply)

Go And Ask My Pastor ? / The Coming Of King Yahuwshuwa Messiah / The Spiritual Understanding Of Epidemics And Pandemics: The Ebola Health Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.