Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,835 members, 7,817,453 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? (1308 Views)

Romans Threw True Christianity To The Lions / Which Church Represents True Christianity / What Is True Christianity: Calling Serious Christians In The House. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 9:18am On Aug 05, 2008
Can one be a Christian without knowledge of the bible and Jesus? What does it take to be a TRUE Christian? What is true Christianity and amid the myriad of Christian denominations today (more than 30 000) which one of these represents true Christianity?

Whenever someone leaves Christianity to some other belief system or to abandon beliefs altogether, the Christians usually claim that they were NOT TRUE Christians in the first place. They claim no true Christian will leave the religion. This fallacy is called the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

What is the hallmark of a true christian? Which of these are true Christians and which not. And by what criteria is that judgment made for if it is possible to say someone is not a true christian there must be a yardstick or frameworks against which they are measured;

1-) Pope
2-) Benny Hinn
3-) William Branham
4-) Oral Roberts
5-) Billy Graham
6-) Mother Teresa
7-) The G.O.
8-) Pastor Chris
9-) Pastor Matthew
10-) ArchBishop of Canterbury

What would you make if any of the above names where to leave Christianity? Does that mean that they were never true Christians? There are hundreds of ex-Christian ministers, priests and pastors who have now left the religion to pursue more mentally elevating worldviews. Does this mean they were never true christians when they served in the christian ministry?

How about a situation where someone wholehearted commits their entire life to "Christianity" but was unaware of just that one extra doctrine it takes to become a REAL flesh and blood christian. What are the psychological consequences of be so deluded? Who this person achieve eternal life?

BTW, where in the Christian bible/code does it say a true Christian can NEVER leave the fold?
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2008
What does it take to be a true christian?
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 4:14pm On Aug 05, 2008
You and ur topics Huxley. undecided
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 4:16pm On Aug 05, 2008
Missy B:

You and your topics Huxley. undecided

This is a good one, isn't it? Making you think harder.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 4:21pm On Aug 05, 2008
Nah bruv jst thinkin of another method (other than askin u ques )of makin you silent nd abandonin d thread. grin
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 6:13pm On Aug 05, 2008
how cum no one e dey answer tis one, naaah?
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 6:46pm On Aug 05, 2008
Cuzz your ques need not be answered bcuzz u don't want to know u only want to find flaws bcuzz u don't believe in our God bcuzz u re an atheist bcuzz  undecided
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by mazaje(m): 9:48pm On Aug 05, 2008
Missy B:

Cuzz your ques need not be answered bcuzz u don't want to know u only want to find flaws bcuzz u don't believe in our God bcuzz u re an atheist bcuzz undecided

Because when your are asked direct questions you prefer to run around it without answering because your faith has been put into question. who is a real christain? why are there over 30 thousand denominations each claiming they hold the true knowledge of the bible and the message of jesus? why are there over 80 translations of the englsih bible alone? why do each sect in the christain religion portrays it self as an independent religion? why all the divisions? have you read the history of christainity and the bible? go ahead and answer the question and stop making excuses for your self.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 10:07pm On Aug 05, 2008
If this ques was asked by another person other than Huxley MAYBE i would have answered but i have come to realise that Huxley asks his ques to attack christains and not because he wants to know.

As for you,I have been on nairaland(Religion section)for so long to notice that the only thing MOST fans of the religion section are good at is to argue and attack themselves and religion.So i prefer to save ma breath,strength and knowledge for someone who genuinely wants to be enlightened and not sm1 who's lookin for a way to mock christains or ma God.However In MY definition,i will say:
A christian is someone who has heard the word,believes it,lives according to how it wants to us(working towards perfection),the holy spirit dwells inside d person.
Christain=Christ like.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by elctroguru(m): 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2008
Sincerely, Mazaje is correct. Though it rele bothers me too. So much differences in one religion even up to d general campus fellowship here in my sch where all campus xtians fellowship are 2 attend All Campus Xtian Fellowship [ACCF] every 1st sunday of d month but some Campus Fellowships like Jehova witness & others will never Join them in the congregational worship. why?
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 10:38pm On Aug 05, 2008
elctroguru:

Sincerely, Mazaja is correct. Though it rele bothers me too. So much differences in one religion even up to d general campus fellowship here in my sch where all campus xtians fellowship are 2 attend All Campus Christian Fellowship [ACCF] every 1st sunday of d month but some Campus Fellowships like Jehova witness & others will never Join them in the congregational worship. why?
What about?

B.T.W. Despite we are all christains,we stil share diff belief in some certain areas.If the Jehova's witnesses decide not to attend fellowship with other christain group,den fine as long as everyone is serving their God in their way.On the last day,He(God)knows those(Individuals) who are his.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by Lady2(f): 4:58am On Aug 06, 2008
why are there over 30 thousand denominations each claiming they hold the true knowledge of the bible and the message of jesus? why are there over 80 translations of the englsih bible alone? why do each sect in the christain religion portrays it self as an independent religion? why all the divisions? have you read the history of christainity and the bible? go ahead and answer the question and stop making excuses for your self.

Because there are too many self ordained men and women of God. And because Christianity is truly about peace no one goes around beating the living daylight out of them. Now I bet you they can't do that with Islam, oh no, they will surely die.

But hey everyone wants to make a mockery of Christianity.

If you really want to know who a true Christian is, go to the Bible and it will tell you.
Then look for it in those you meet. trust me you will know them. Those who help you without expecting something in return are true Christians, those who will be nice to you even after you insult them (they may be angry for a while, but won't hold malice with you) they're true christians, those who have a love for Christ to live as he did and stick to te commandments, they are true christians. but most of all those who are sinners and get themselves up rather than wallow in their sin are true christians. those who can forgive from the heart, not just others but themselves too.
those who love you even if they don't know you.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by elctroguru(m): 7:09am On Aug 06, 2008
No, you're wrong. I already asked one of the Jehova Witnesses that ques. You knw what he told me? He said they're not worshiping Jehova. They just dance, sing & turn the church to a dancehall like RCCG & others. So I said are dey going 2 hell? He didnt say Yes or No but only said dey'll be saved from Hell if dey accept Jehova. So what will u say abt dat?
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 11:18am On Aug 06, 2008
Any to answer my question ?
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by olabowale(m): 11:50am On Aug 06, 2008
@Huxley: They don't have an answer for your question. Its very ambiquous. Difficult . I think that ~Lady~ was trying to specify what is a general quality of a kind human being for Christian, against all the odd. However, if the same is asked of a Muslim, he will give you the first 5 verses of Surah Baqarah, minus, the ILaaam Miiim. Then he will go to Surah Muminu, and Ghafir. Definitely, in these places you will have answers that satisfy, sufficiently the inquiring minds. In Surah An Am, you will read the actions of a muslims, as expected, in the declaration of Ibrahim (AS). In Surah Araf, you will read about the supplication/mercy seeking statement of Moses in his declaration as a Mumin.

@~Lady~:
« #11 on: Today at 04:58:57 AM »
Because there are too many self ordained men and women of God. And because Christianity is truly about peace no one goes around beating the living daylight out of them. Now I bet you they can't do that with Islam, oh no, they will surely die.

Have you heard about the Ahmadiyyah movement, worldwide? Have you heard ofthe Nation of Islam, which "Minister" Louis Farakkan is the head? Have you heard of the 5%ers? Have you heard of the Nubian or Nubian Muslims, which "Dr." York, now in Prison in Atlanta was the head when they used to be in Bushwick section of Brooklyn in the 70s and the early 80s? And surprisingly, no one have killed them. Also in Middle East, especially in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq, there are handful of others, like the Drus, etc, who are neither generally classified as Shia or Sunni.

But hey everyone wants to make a mockery of Christianity.

If you really want to know who a true Christian is, go to the Bible and it will tell you.
Then look for it in those you meet. trust me you will know them. Those who help you without expecting something in return are true Christians, those who will be nice to you even after you insult them (they may be angry for a while, but won't hold malice with you) they're true christians, those who have a love for Christ to live as he did and stick to te commandments, they are true christians. but most of all those who are sinners and get themselves up rather than wallow in their sin are true christians. those who can forgive from the heart, not just others but themselves too.

Almost all of these qualities that you listed are practiced by others, including the Buhhdists. But you fail to emulate Jesus when it came to death. Why? I thought you love Jesus that much and nothing you would not do for him, because of what he has done for you? I hope you are not truly mad with me and please restore back the respect you said you lost for me. You should not be stingy, woman. I am still waiting for that day that you will say, look man I already restore back the respect.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by elctroguru(m): 1:53pm On Aug 06, 2008
They cant answer Huxley's ques correctly. Thats for sure
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 2:10pm On Aug 06, 2008
elctroguru:

They can't answer Huxley's ques correctly. Thats for sure

You are right. They daren't, because it would expose the bankruptcy of the beliefs, if not their state of cognitive dissonance.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 06, 2008
Until Huxley decide to change d purpose of his ques ,he will not find anyone to pay serious attention to his ques thereby pple like you will mistake that as inability to answer his ques.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by olabowale(m): 2:55pm On Aug 06, 2008
@MissyB:
You can't answer it.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by JeSoul(f): 2:57pm On Aug 06, 2008
Missy B:

Until Huxley decide to change d purpose of his ques ,he will not find anyone to pay serious attention to his ques thereby people like you will mistake that as inability to answer his ques.
MissyB you could not have said this any better!
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by huxley(m): 3:01pm On Aug 06, 2008
Missy B:

Until Huxley decide to change d purpose of his ques ,he will not find anyone to pay serious attention to his ques thereby people like you will mistake that as inability to answer his ques.

How do you want me to change the purpose of my question? Shall I agree with you first before you will answer the questions.

Tell me, what attitude shall I display before you will answer them. I shall then preface each questions that I want answered with an indication of such attitude.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 3:21pm On Aug 06, 2008
Huxley
knowing that you know that you ask these ques not bcuzz you seek knowledge but bcuzz you are delibrately looking for a way to attack christains for only God knows why,i repeat NO CHRISTAIN WILL PAY SERIOUS ATTENTION TO YOUR QUES TILL WE BEGIN TO SEE SOME TRACE OF FACT THAT YOU SEEK KNOWLEDGE AND NOT MOCKERY.

Olow
Na your cross,carry am.If you think i can't answer the ques den call allah to answer it.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by olabowale(m): 5:14pm On Aug 06, 2008
@Missy B:
Read the Qur'an. Allah says that those who believe in their religion, and then revert in beleif to Islam, they will have a double reward;

First for believing in their old religion, and, when they learnt of the truth of Islam,
second, they plunge into it, completely, without hesitation. They in accepting Islam thereby leaving behind the former the former religion gain all the work of the old religion turned to good in their record. They will not start from zero or negative, but positive, amounting to all that was in their record just before coming to islam. Then the good that they will be accumulating as they start in the path of islam.

Unlike Christianity, a bad thought that is never carried out is not recorded. All good deeds are multiplied by at least 10. And when a bad deed is done, a good deed done immediately over it, wipes it out with seeking the mercy of Allah, supplicating.

And finally, Missy B, i no get cross. infact I hate una cross. When christian associates say that they keep their fingers crossed, I alway say to them; don't do that, because it will be difficult to get anything done like that. I take thing, literally
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by MissyB1(m): 5:24pm On Aug 06, 2008
Story dat felt touch
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by papadims: 5:26pm On Aug 06, 2008
true christianity goes beyond going to church, keeping a holy life. it entails a daily practice of what you here and believe. the true meaning of christian- christ like.

what have you read or heard of christ? are you living like him?

the way you treat people around you, the way you carry out ur duties at home, aat skol, at work or any where you find yourself can determine whether you are true christian or not.

but you must know we humans can not determine only God can. so we just have to pray for Gods guidiance and constants study of his word.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by papadims: 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2008
ola
you dont know any thing about christianity, so please dont comment o what you have little knowledge of.
God teaches about forgiveness and if you realize that you are wrong and ask for forgiveness he does.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by Lady2(f): 8:00pm On Aug 06, 2008
Insert Quote
Any to answer my question ?

Are you asking a question to be answered and if so are you actually reading the posts to see the answer. Because this was posted. Read below.

Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by Lady2(f): 8:06pm On Aug 06, 2008
Have you heard about the Ahmadiyyah movement, worldwide? Have you heard ofthe Nation of Islam, which "Minister" Louis Farakkan is the head? Have you heard of the 5%ers? Have you heard of the Nubian or Nubian Muslims, which "Dr." York, now in Prison in Atlanta was the head when they used to be in Bushwick section of Brooklyn in the 70s and the early 80s? And surprisingly, no one have killed them. Also in Middle East, especially in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq, there are handful of others, like the Drus, etc, who are neither generally classified as Shia or Sunni.

Do you really want me to answer this question because it would lead to you dodging the historical truth.
Are these people free to study Islam the way they do, absolutely not. You know very well that these people face persecution especially in the muslim lands.

But you fail to emulate Jesus when it came to death. Why? I thought you love Jesus that much and nothing you would not do for him, because of what he has done for you?

I actually do. I am dead to the world, and now I live in Christ.

I hope you are not truly mad with me and please restore back the respect you said you lost for me. You should not be stingy, woman. I am still waiting for that day that you will say, look man I already restore back the respect.

Ofcourse I am. I expected better from you and did hold you in high regards. But you resorted to lie.
Stingy in what? You lied and I expected better from you. Ofcourse you've lied before, and I didn't pay attention to it because we are all sinners, but you took it too far. You do have to apologise.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by olabowale(m): 9:44pm On Aug 06, 2008
@~Lady~
« #27 on: Today at 08:06:24 PM »
Do you really want me to answer this question because it would lead to you dodging the historical truth.
Are these people free to study Islam the way they do, absolutely not. You know very well that these people face persecution especially in the muslim lands.

And if you do not know about the Muslim lands, you are very familiar with America, for sure. Tell me who amongst the muslims of america or indeed the world over have persecuted farakkan and his nation of Islam? You should be sincere in your post. How is it that anyone knows about the Ahmadiyyan movement, that started in India and has taken some roots in most of Asia and Africa? Has any Nigerian muslims persecuted them in Nigeria? For a long time now, they have their secondary school in Lagos. Please woman, stop saying things you can not substantiate.

[Quote]
I actually do. I am dead to the world, and now I live in Christ.
[/quote]

No you don't! If you do, give us a reason or two that we will know that you are. For me I emulate Muhammad by loving women, perfume, etc. I also emulate Jesus by keeping a full beard, covering my private area, with roomy clothing, praying to God, my Lord who is One (ala Mark 12 verse 29). I wanna know how you emulate Jesus about death. Or even forsaking marriage. I am not encouraging you to emulate Jesus in the matter of marriage. Okay? lol.

[Quote]
Ofcourse I am. I expected better from you and did hold you in high regards. But you resorted to lie.
Stingy in what? You lied and I expected better from you. Ofcourse you've lied before, and I didn't pay attention to it because we are all sinners, but you took it too far. You do have to apologise.
[/quote]

I have been asking you to tell the whole world what lie did I tell you. Just saying I lied is not good enough, now that the burden of proof is on you. Tell everyone, all the lies, because I wanna know them, too. What am I going to apologise for, when you refuse to tell me what are my reasons for apology? Maybe you are bamboozoing me. I understand. You are a woman. And the Yorubas say that there is not little woman. I know you will get over your anger. I hate to see a woman get angry. Its like a big storm, a stormy and choppy sea. I can't deal with it, so snap out of it.
Re: What Is True Christianity? Who Is A True Christian? by pilgrim1(f): 7:53pm On Oct 05, 2008
@elctroguru,

elctroguru:

So much differences in one religion even up to d general campus fellowship here in my sch where all campus xtians fellowship are 2 attend All Campus Christian Fellowship [ACCF] every 1st sunday of d month but some Campus Fellowships like Jehova witness & others will never Join them in the congregational worship. why?

Rather than repeat the answers given by others, I would just add some observations.

When one talks about so much differences, they abound in almost every facet of human endeavour. There are differences among Muslims in Islam; differences among Christians; differences among atheists; differences among evolutionary biologists; differences among politicians; differences among orientalists; differences among citizens of any single nation; differences among brethren living under one roof. . . you name them, and you will find differences in almost every facet of human endeavour.

When one assumes that mere differences within any particular group of any worldview necessarily questions the veracity of its adherents, you simply apply it to your preferred worldview and you can add the numbers. Why should it then be only the differences in Christianity that people talk about and never reference any other group by the same rule of thumb?

(1) (Reply)

The Religion Of War I / Eyo Festival / Day Buchi Rocked Lagos To Standstill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.