Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,580 members, 7,840,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan (751 Views)

Grave Mistake Jonathan Made In War Against Boko Haram -prof Ango Abdullahi / Nigeria’s 1914 Amalgamation Has Expired, Says Ijaw Congress / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Rareantagonist(m): 4:24am On Dec 30, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan  has described the  amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorates    in 1914  as  an  act of God.
Jonathan, who joined the faithful  at the Apostolic Faith Church, Jabi in Abuja,   for the last Sunday service of the year, however,  identified lack of unity and love  as the greatest problem  facing Nigeria.
He likened  the nation’s   challenges  to  those  of the  Israelites when they  were about  to move out of Egypt to the Promised Land.
The President  said, “As a nation, we have our challenges. Anytime I look at the history of Nigeria and the challenges we face,  I remember  a  part  of the old testament  in the Bible that talks  about  the Israelites when they decided to move out of Egypt to the Promised  Land. We  have something quite similar.
“As you are getting closer to the promised land, you meet more obstacles and thank God for the sermon we have heard here today(Sunday). Even  the  songs  showed that the greatest problem we have  are  lack of unity and love.
“Nigeria was amalgamated by our colonial masters in 1914. By  January 1 next year, Nigeria    will be 100 years  .  I totally agree with the minister  that it was not by chance that we are one as a nation, it was ordained by God.
“If God didn’t will it  that way and at that point,  the North and South would not have come together. The details of the North and South coming together make  Nigeria a very great country.
“I used to say that Nigeria is great not because of its  oil.  We  have countries that produce more oil than Nigeria but nobody talks about them.
“We have countries that have multi-billion dollars in  their reserves and nobody talks about them but here we are,  just talking about $40bn in our reserves , yet  the biggest  and  smallest countries  talk  about Nigeria. Why?  It is Because of the diversity from the North to the South,  the human and natural resources, the potential and the population that we have.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Rareantagonist(m): 4:27am On Dec 30, 2013
“ So, Nigeria is a country that has a special blessing from God. It is therefore  left to  us to appreciate God and continue to pray for  his  intervention  for  this country to continue to be great.”
Jonathan again promised to bequeath a different Nigeria to the next generation.
He said his administration was committed to working hard to overcome barriers that had  to do with religious or ethnic differences.
The President  said it was also when such barriers were  crossed that Nigerian children would enjoy a better future.
He said, “I promise our children that we are totally committed to making sure that they meet a different Nigeria.  We will collectively work hard to overcome  our  barriers.
“Immediately we cross the  barriers  and we begin to believe that we are all Nigerians and we are committed to the development of this country, our children will surely meet a better Nigeria. We will try our best but this is not the time to  reel out  what we are not doing, otherwise  people  will think I am here to campaign.
“But I assure  this congregation, and indeed all Nigerians,  that by the grace of God and your support, I am where I am  today from nowhere. Any Nigerian  child   can also be where I am.
“I come from the smallest state in this country and even in my  state (Bayelsa), my community is  one of the smallest. Within my  community  in the state,  mine is one of the smallest  , but I am here today as President  by the grace of God.
“That is the type of Nigeria we want to create; a Nigeria where you can get what you want if you work hard,  not  a Nigeria where  you know somebody that  knows somebody that will take  you to  somebody.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by todayguest(m): 5:22am On Dec 30, 2013
I think so too. We are the people gradually making it one. Is Nigeria as diverse as the USA?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Brimmie(m): 6:46am On Dec 30, 2013
Ok
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Rareantagonist(m): 7:37am On Dec 30, 2013
Despite our present crisis all we need is unity...
The post of the President isn't that easy to handle..
Lets pray our country gets better..
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by 9jii(m): 9:13am On Dec 30, 2013
Is like we the people are enjoying to use our differences to cause Problems.
Overcoming our differences is d best choice we can make because difference is anywhere n always,religious, regional,tribal,families and me and you.

Let's use our differences for the better.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Soloter(m): 9:16am On Dec 30, 2013
Jesus loves all. Try Him and you'll be convinced.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 30, 2013
Naah, i believe it's the biggest mistake ever in this world! What positive thing has come out of it?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Rareantagonist(m): 10:34am On Dec 30, 2013
DivideUs: Naah, i believe it's the biggest mistake ever in this world! What positive thing has come out of it?
Like your name implies, DIVIDEus, I DON'T THINK YOU LIKE UNITY..
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Rareantagonist(m): 10:35am On Dec 30, 2013
Soloter: Jesus loves all. Try Him and you'll be convinced.
I appreciate that.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation Not A Mistake – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr. Presido.

I support you with all my heart, but on this issue of "one" Nigeria, you are on your own.

Any way just be careful because "one" Nigeria may consume you if you are not smart enough.

I wish you well.

(1) (Reply)

See The African Countries Doing The Most To Boost Its Energy Supply / When Will President Jonathan Apologize To Nigeria? / Osun Police Command Lambasts Pdp’s Desperate And Vicious Lies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.