Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. (3498 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. by Sirtondy: 8:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
My name is OLATUNDE popularly known as sirtondy.

OUR TOPIC FOR TODAY IS IDIOM!

INCORRECT:-John and james are ''BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHER''
CORRECT:-john and james are ''birds of a feather''.
'Birds' as a plural noun cannot have the same(one)feather but a feather ie,the same types of feathers.this idiom means that people of the same sort are found together.

INCORRECT:-don't bite more than what you can chew.
CORRECT:-don't bite off more than what you can chew.
To 'bite off' means to 'cut part away'.to bite means 'to hit on something without necessarily cutting away'.
'To bite off more than what one can chew' means to try to do something too difficult.

INCORRECT:-half bread is better than none.
CORRECT:-half a loaf is better than none.
'bread' is an uncountable noun and as such cannot be half,just as you cannot have one or two breads. This idiom means 'having a part of something when one could not have it in totality.

THE NEXT TUTORIAL IS TAGGED ''COMMON ERRORS''

INCORRECT:i have ''apollo''
CORRECT:i have ''conjunctivitis''
-A painful disease of the eyes with redness and swelling is called ''conjunctivitis'' not ''APOLLO''

INCORRECT:he ''disvirgined'' the girl last year
CORRECT:he ''deflowered'' the girl last year.
The word''disvirgined does not exist in english language.

INCORRECT:I am ''lacking'' behing in mathematics
CORRECT:i am ''lagging'' in mathematics.
''Lack'' means 'not having enough' while 'lag? Means 'not' able to meet up.

This tutorial will surely bring a lot of arguments and controversials
of course,we need it because the tutorial will be extra-ordinarily fantastic.
You can't read it without gaining one or two things.

''NORMAL GREETINGS AND RESPONSES''
lesson start.

1.GREETING:how do you do?
Incorrectsadresponse)fine
Correct(reponse):how do you do?
''how do you do'' is answered by it's reputation.

2.greeting:how are you doing?
Incorrectsadresponse).fine,thank you
Correct(response):how are you?

At the time of greeting the listener cannot be doing both 'how do you do' and 'how are you? Means ''HOW ARE YOU FEELING GENERALLY.

QUESTION:do you mind dancing with me?
INCORRECTsadresponse)yes,i don't mind.
CORRECT:no,i dont mind.

'Do you mind?' is a negative word meaning, 'do you object to?,it cannot be preceded by 'yes, IF YOU ARE NOT INTRESTED IN DANCING WITH THE PERSON.''no'' i dont mind.(i don't object to dancing with you),if you are intrested in dancing with the person

GREETING:Thank for your assistance.
INCORRECT(response):don't mention
CORRECT(RESPONSE):it is a pleasure
Not to worry! You are welcome.
In the incorrect response,you can't say,'don't mention' when the person has already thanked you.

that's all i can teach about NORMAL GREETINGS AND RESPONSES FOR TODAY IF YOU DONT TRULY UNDERSTAND JUST CONTACT ME THROUGH THESE SOCIAL NETWORKS OR TEXT A MESSAGE TO ME ON 08104749909.PLEASE SMS ONLY.
2GO:SIRTONDY
FACEBOOK:TUNDE KOREDE
TWITTER:SIRTONDY4.
EMAIL:SIRTONDYOLATUNDEKOREDE@GMAIL.COM
Re: Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. by professore(m): 8:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
Viewing this topic: Sirtondy grin
Re: Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. by Sirtondy: 9:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
professore: Viewing this topic: Sirtondy grin

I want it to be moved to frontpage.

Professor,so what do you gain in this tutorial?
Re: Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. by professore(m): 10:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
i gained "don't bite off" i would ordinarily say "don't bite" blah blah,also "half a loaf" i would have said "half bread"
others,like conjunctivitis,lagging behind,i knew them since secondary school as a professore trust me,so they made me to believe in your thread
BTW,your greetings,hmm,if i say i understand u,na lie i dey lie jare, i no understand them true true
Re: Common Errors In English Language And Their Corrections By Sirtondy. by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 30, 2014
nice try. obviously verbatim from a book. sha sha

(1) (Reply)

High-quality Writing Services For Your Blogs, Websites & Youtube Channels / Ghostwriters Needed / Dizzy Angel By Grace Osifo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.