Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

I Saw This And Wanted To Share - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Saw This And Wanted To Share (1448 Views)

Controversial Senator And Wanted Drug Baron In N10.797 Billion Messy Debt / Diezani: Sanusi Wanted To Be Afdb President But Jonathan’s Men Frustrated Him / What I Saw At A Rich Politician's Party. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 4:58pm On Aug 05, 2008
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by davidif: 6:34pm On Aug 05, 2008
i am speechless, absolutely speechless. shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry

I don't know what to say, i think the problem with Nigerians is that we are tooooooo extremely insensitive and heartless. We have no feeling of empathy, we see this people everyday and downgrade them as sub human simply because they are poorer than us. Chai, what a shame.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:41pm On Aug 05, 2008
what a shame. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
no regard for wellbeing.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by tpia: 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2008
Its sad, and they shouldnt just demolish without paying some sort of compensation.

however, the truth is Lagos needs land for development, and slum areas can get very valuable in such situations.

Money talks, real estate walks.

and with the way the overseas [especially the US] economy is on a downturn, investors and developers will be looking elsewhere for new and profitable markets.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 7:12pm On Aug 05, 2008
sad isn't it ?
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 7:13pm On Aug 05, 2008
But in reality, what can we do about it ?
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by Arnold1(m): 8:21pm On Aug 05, 2008
It is saddening to say the least.

There are people in Lagos who have built houses without the permission of the relevant
authorities. It is a well known fact that many landlords don't have Certificates of Occupancy (CofO's)
in Lagos.

That said, before any demolition takes place, original land occupants must be catered to - they must be relocated
and compensated.

CNN does nothing but report on the negatives of Africa. Go figure.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 8:30pm On Aug 05, 2008
CNN does nothing but report on the negatives of Africa. Go figure.

Africa leaders do nothing but treats its citizens negatively and badly.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by SkyBlue1: 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2008
Moving stuff and i do genuinely feel sorry for the people who lost homes, it probably was not their fault. However was it also reported the many cases of people building without any law or consent whatsoever? How everywhere is a market and people add extensions over gutters, etc? How such actually exacerbates the problem of flooding as well as traffic? Of course it is a moving piece because it involves people, however at thesame time isn't it about time some sense was put back into the situation? As for the displacement of people, i really do believe that lagos needs to venture into huge scale development which low earners can afford, lower income housing, and also there has to be more vertical building work, lagos is already starved of land and overpopulated. One more incentive for the state government to improve the coverage of its tax collection because such tax money can be used to invest in such ventures.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by davidif: 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2008
chai, if we at least gave them a 2-4 year warning before demolishing it.

this is what happened during the oil boom, Nigeria forsook agriculture, as a result, millions of poor people from the rural areas flocked to the rural areas living in squalor.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by manmustwac(m): 9:51pm On Aug 05, 2008
saw it just now on cnn myself was gonna even gonna create a topic but madamkoko beat me to it cool
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 10:27pm On Aug 05, 2008
Soorrry, I didn't mean to. grin grin grin grin
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by bilymuse: 10:28pm On Aug 05, 2008
But in reality, what can we do about it ?
nothing

the ruthless injustice and  blood of  innocent shed in this country will stifle it progress.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by seyibrown(f): 2:53am On Aug 06, 2008
I do pity those people but I am sure they were given some sort of notice about the demolition.

Those who followed proper procedures when acquiring their land can come together and fight for compensation.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by TOYOSI20(f): 2:54am On Aug 06, 2008
It's pathetic, where are folks like Mr. Dele supposed to go,

and how do they pick up the pieces literalilly, there must be

some kind of program, incentives or protocol as the case may be,

to avoid these peps roaming around the street. . . . . . . .they've become

vagabonds in their own land. . . . . . . . .sad, very sad. . . . . .  sad

Later they'll start saying armed robbers are multiplying in the hundreds.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by landis(m): 7:06am On Aug 06, 2008
Again, thanks to OBJ with its land reform of '79.

We seem to sleep when govt start bad policies and when the effects start showing, we shed crocs-tears.

And with 'some rotten' house selling for $1.5mil in Lagoscrm, I expect more of this to continue.

atleast, there was Maroko in the early 90s.

Welcome to HELL called Nigeria.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by edition(f): 7:29am On Aug 06, 2008
una don come be that oh.

Toyosi- you no dey see homeless people for California?
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

what a shame. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
no regard for wellbeing.
exactly
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by naijaking1: 3:01pm On Aug 06, 2008
landis:

Again, thanks to OBJ with its land reform of '79.

We seem to sleep when govt start bad policies and when the effects start showing, we shed crocs-tears.

And with 'some rotten' house selling for $1.5mil in Lagoscrm, I expect more of this to continue.

atleast, there was Maroko in the early 90s.

Welcome to HELL called Nigeria.

Good point. I have always likened Nigeria to Plato's cave. Nobody seems to complain about bad government policies until they become victims. From paying Igbos 20 pounds after the civil war, to federalizing all lands, to the indiginization decree; all were enacted to punish the war-loosing-good-for-nothing Igbo people.

Very few people with foresight and principle(Soyinka, and Gani) dared to condenm these evil laws, majority in the West actually liked the laws, because it gave them a short term edge over their Igbo competitors. Has the chicken come home to roost yet?
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 3:22pm On Aug 06, 2008
@ naijaking1 u're right!@
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by dudubobo1: 4:45pm On Aug 06, 2008
This video shows the face of the animals that we have in government
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by tpia: 4:59pm On Aug 06, 2008
the problem with far too many Nigerians is they have a limited worldview.

They see things only from the layman's perspective, and not a leader's own. That's one major difference between whites and blacks, that I keep noticing. And this layman's opinion sometimes also carries over into the leaders themselves as well.

Must we continue to have this persecution complex all the time? Everyone knows Lagos has a slum problem, yet now they are trying to fix it, folks are still complaining. We all see the pictures of flooded roads and overflowing gutters, yet we dont understand what it takes to correct these things.

The main issue people should be wondering about and fighting for is adequate compensation for people whose houses were demolished. Port harcourt is also demolishing structures, in case no one noticed.

Sometimes folks should realise when the media is trying to be mischievious.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 5:07pm On Aug 06, 2008
Who are you to decide whose world view is limited or not?

Must we continue to have this persecution complex all the time?
NO

Everyone knows Lagos has a slum problem
Yes, mostly in POOR areas. (Its hard to enforce laws on POOR peopel when these POOR people see that the same thing does not apply to the RICH. You can't have two laws for two different types of people: its chaos and thats the state Nigeria is in.

one major difference between whites and blacks
there is NO DIFFERENCE.

DO NOT BRING RACE into the equation. CLASS is more of the issue.

They do the same sh#$%t to POOR people in Harlem, New Orleans and co.

We all see the pictures of flooded roads and overflowing gutters, yet we don't understand what it takes to correct these things.
We can correct these things by making sure that government officials spend money allocated to these matters appropriately.

We all see the pictures of flooded roads and overflowing gutters
I DO NOT think that you watch the documentary. They are DESTROYING POOR people's houses to make way for MANSIONS.

adequate compensation for people whose houses were demolished
I don't think u're Nigerian or I should say, I don't think u've lived in Nigeria because ME SHA, I don't know the last time the government compensated anyone for their pain and suffering.

Sometimes folks should realise when the media is trying to be mischievious.
Sometimes and not all the time.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by tpia: 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2008
so, madamkoko, tell me, if you were the governor of Lagos state (or any state anywhere), what would be your actions?

by the way, I'm sure much of the bad publicity Nigeria gets from the media, is from Nigerians themselves who work there.

There are Nigerians working at BBC and CNN.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by madamkoko: 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2008
by the way, I'm sure much of the bad publicity Nigeria gets from the media, is from Nigerians themselves who work there.

There are Nigerians working at BBC and CNN.

You're right.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by powderPink(f): 8:00pm On Aug 06, 2008
people don't have a conscience at all. I tell you people will still buy and live on that land taken from the poor. No principles, none what so ever. everyone involved have alot to answer for.
Re: I Saw This And Wanted To Share by TOYOSI20(f): 4:46am On Aug 07, 2008
edition:

una don come be that oh.

Toyosi- you no dey see homeless people for California?

. . . . . . . . .What I don't see is peps houses been torn down. . . . . .

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Police, Watch This Show Of Shame / British Justice Sec Stranded In Lagos, No Money, No Food. / Grace Ushang's Death And The Indecent Dressing Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.