Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Making A Friend During Air Travel - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Making A Friend During Air Travel (2796 Views)

Top 10 Air Travel Companies With Most Plane Crashes In 2014 / Nigerians Shun Domestic Air Travel Over Fear Of Crashes / Air Travel Versus Road Travel In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making A Friend During Air Travel by jacq(f): 12:12pm On Jun 20, 2006
For those who travels to nigeria often will you have a chat with the person sitting next to u in the plane who also is a nigeria and is also visiting naija ? and will u keep the contact once in naija

Can friendship develop in such a situation ?
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Hotstepper(f): 2:41pm On Jun 20, 2006
I can talk 2 da person next 2 me if heéshe is willing 2 talk esp. sumthing reasonable, I did it in 2004 with a guy 4romd a states who thought I was not Nigerian but visiting but dunno if I will keep it up in Nigeria, Not really a fan of dat
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Shagari2(m): 9:57pm On Jun 20, 2006
Yea, I'm very shy but love making friends and meeting new people, I rarely make the 1st move though, too shy, but if they make the mistake of talking to me will be best friends for the duration of the flight, won't contact them after though, too shy. smiley
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by damygurl(f): 4:00am On Jun 21, 2006
yea. i sat near this cute guy and we talked till we got down at Amsterdam. he gave me his email addy but i lost it on the plane. i was so mad cuz d guy was so kool. So yea friendship can develop.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by saintchux(m): 9:50am On Jun 21, 2006
Making friend like that is good, but you have to be very careful.

I once chatted with a lady from portharcourt to Lagos and we exchanged Phone numbers and within few day she started sending me love & sexy text and I told her that I am married on the course of our travel.

Though there are other good guys & girls but since then I do not give any person my number again. I have to change my number.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by jacq(f): 4:20pm On Jun 21, 2006
I hate changing my nr also.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Ashiwaju(m): 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2006
Ofcourse, You ll make the best outta friends on Air, especially if you are so lucky to meet that stunning lady or that charming young man you so much admire, for the sake of the adventure, the coversation gets more intense and its something you dont wanna forget except if you meet the wrong person.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by naijacutee(f): 7:19pm On Jun 21, 2006
Last time I travelled, I was on the aisle seat and this older English guy was sitting between me and this other English guy. He spent the entire duration of the flight, talking to this other guy about Tony Blair and his immigrants and I never talk to people first so I sat there in silence until i brought out my laptop to do some studying. Only when was I looking at a presentation did this guy try to make chit-chat with me " Was I a medical student?" "Do I go to Cambridge? "I seem intelligent, have I graduated?" undecided
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Idekeson(m): 1:42pm On Jun 22, 2006
@naijacutee
Did you tell him to f**k off?

More often than not, I'm not in the mood for any chitty-chat conversation. I appreciate if the person next to me will just shut up and mind their business while I enjoy a peace and quiet flight. cool
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Ashiwaju(m): 5:18pm On Jun 22, 2006
dts quite harsh mr Idekeson! and naijacutee what happened after the guys question?
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by naijacutee(f): 5:43pm On Jun 22, 2006
Lets just say, I answered him appropriately enough for him not to bother me until we got to Italy. tongue
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by dearie(m): 7:21am On Jul 10, 2006
well i think it's like different strokes for different folks. As for me, I love meeting people and making friends, though I'm an introvert, I will lkeep on the relationship if i find some prospect in the course of our short conversation.
U never could tell, i may just be on the brink of hitting a business deal with that guy next to me, so why not give him a call afterwards.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by jgirl3: 7:36am On Jul 10, 2006
I love doing it but i am too shy to make the first move.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by dearie(m): 7:46am On Jul 10, 2006
I understand, but what u may just need to do is initiate an issue that would most likely end up on ur kind of business, and u may be lucky to do more of listening than talking. Some guys like ladies who exhibit such boldness to start up a discussion.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by iice(f): 8:50am On Jul 10, 2006
Hmmmm, @Topic, yea its a good way to pass the flight, dunno if such instances will actually grow 2 a worthwhile relationship but i've done it with friends, talk 2 just about every1 in our section even to the pilot and co-pilots, LOL
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by angel1: 5:13am On Jul 21, 2006
yah its ok.i met this very tall guy on my journey to US.he was on connecting flight and i was coming fro niger.we boarded same plane from hethrow airport.the guy was listening to music while i was flipping through Gallery,style and Ebony mag.he asked 4 the gallery mag. which i gave to him.after flipping tru,he smiled and then asked me how come i pay so much attention on the beauty,makeup aspect of the Mags i had.i told i love doing,reading anytin that has to do with that.so he was like pointing out mistakes on the finishing so i was kind of surprised cos he knew more than himself for a guy in such an aspect.So i was forced to ask what he does for a living which he lied that he was a yellow cab driver and that his ex-girlfriend taught him most of the things.As the discussion went on,he then asked me if i would love to work in US and if i was married.i told him no.
wen we landed JFK.my sister who has been waitin 4me outside was so amazed to see this guy wth so much excited look.we bth xchanged numbers and left.it was on our way home right inside the car dat my sister told me dat the guy i was talking to was the Lancome Manager with Macy,s Manhattan cos my sister was a clerk with macys mall but today she is a Lancome superior consultant goin for home assignment for celebrities and i have been able to see many celebrities live.
so i think its generally nice meeting people,no matter whom it is but with a Niger therafter the trip,it gives me more concern cos i have fallen victim several times but even at dat ,i take my time to study d person.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by jacq(f): 8:52pm On Jul 21, 2006
Why will the man lie that he is a cab driver ??
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by angel1: 2:54am On Jul 22, 2006
hiiii jacq,
i think is not too ok to reveal your true identity to strangers for the first time.am sure if he had told me the truth,i wud have loved to ask him many questions but not evry person is comfortable or likes or enjoy being asked questions for the first time.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Ambber(f): 4:48pm On Mar 23, 2007
I will suggest make 'conversation' and not necessarily friendship bc a 10hour flight is not enough to tell the motives of anyone. Be careful of details you share with strangers.

I will not advise that you give fake names bc you never can tell especially if you are a business/ high profile career person but you must assess who ever. I usually enjoy good conversations especially if he/she has something upstairs to share other wise i just put on this bored but polite look or fish out a novel and the person gets the message.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by ehi4life(m): 5:01pm On Mar 26, 2007
Hi all for those of us that fly lagos to owerri, what are our chances of meeting someone nice infligth,
Ist you are scare to your pants from the crazy turbulence you dont even notice who is beside you, and the tot that you will be landing on a walkway, is enough for you to pray all through the jorney rather that chit chating, although once i sat close to an angel and i spent the whole floigth thinking of the first thing to say, b4 i knew we were on the ground and she was gone embarassed
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Bossman(m): 12:41am On Mar 27, 2007
Why not? if the other party is willing to chat, nothing wrong with it. Usually you can tell, if they do not mind chatting or not. Heck! The US to europe leg is usually so long that any kind of reasonable chat will help. Of course, the booze also helps too. Regardless, I usually can't wait to get of the plane. For most of us in the us we have to endure the approx 8 hour (depending on location) flight to Europe. Of course, having a few DVDs (music, movie, etc.) to watch on laptop also helps.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by tpia: 10:40pm On May 13, 2008
small talk here and there, mostly nothing permanent.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by lucabrasi(m): 2:30am On May 14, 2008
i have a phobia for flying so its either i get drunk or try n chat with the people next to me, one occassion on my way back i met a gurl who was being fawned and fussed over which was funny so i asked her if she was a mummy's gurl and that, when we got on the plane we sat on the same aisle and we continued chatting and we exchanged numbers,i v also met the nigerian football star/coach not sure which augusten eguavoen on my way to nigeria and he s quite cool talked about uk/naija just general stuffs and we exchanged numbers too but forgot all about calling him,i v had all sorts of experiences some normal some interesting i give just normal details but not like addresses and all that.

generally i dont mind making the first move unless the person doesnt want to chat, first to calm myself down for the flight cause of the phobia and also you never know who you might meet, or the connections you might get,the man that brought dhl to nigeria met the owner/owners of dhl on a flight and he and his wife while discussing with the dhl man got the contact and hooked up later on,giving birth to dhl in nigeria just that chance meeting has made the man what he is today.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by Vicjustice: 9:35am On May 14, 2008
Siena:

I mostly just sit back, and relax.

I have chatted with the female next to me on occasion, but never given my number, or asked for hers.
Are you too shy to hit the nail smiley?
I seldom had a real lengthy chat with fellow passengers either because i perceived that they'd prefere to sleep off or i too might just feel the same.
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by babycool(f): 1:28pm On May 14, 2008
The last relationship I had was with someone I met on the plane, we met on two occasions, the first time, we chatted for a while and that was it. Two weeks later we were on the same plane and on the same seat again! That was when we exchanged numbers,soon our friendship blossomed into a serious relationship. It was the best relationship I had.

It's rare though but you can make good friends from air travel
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by jacq(f): 4:59pm On Nov 19, 2008
It is always nice to travel by air you meet and see lots intersting people .
hope not to sit next to a big fat man/woman. grin
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by MrCrackles(m): 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2008
Friendship can definitely develop that way

But most of the time, i get losers sitting beside me whenever i go back to Naija so it even worth striking a convo! grin

It is only when i go to other countries from my base, that i tend to meet nicer people
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by jacq(f): 5:17pm On Nov 19, 2008
MrCrackles:

Friendship can definitely develop that way

But most of the time, i get losers sitting beside me whenever i go back to Naija so it even worth striking a convo! grin

It is only when i go to other countries from my base, that i tend to meet nicer people

losers as how ?
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by kokorunna(m): 2:53pm On Nov 20, 2008
I made a few friends during travelling to naija mostly politicians, but I have never trusted them.

Neither have I exchanged my telephone numbers with them. grin
Re: Making A Friend During Air Travel by MAURI: 5:53pm On Nov 21, 2008
Amber
@[I will suggest make 'conversation' and not necessarily friendship bc a 10hour flight is not enough to tell the motives of anyone. Be careful of details you share with strangers.

I will not advise that you give fake names bc you never can tell especially if you are a business/ high profile career person but you must assess who ever. I usually enjoy good conversations especially if he/she has something upstairs to share other wise i just put on this bored but polite look or fish out a novel and the person gets the message.
]

Nice one Amber,
Friendship can develop anywhere, just depends on meeting the right person, striking the right conversation at the right time.
On one of my trips from Niger to Amsterdam, I met this Nigerian lady, I was already seated before her, when she came in, she greeted politely, and that sort of intrigued me about her. During the flight, we started talking, on getting to Amsterdam, we exchanged numbers and she travelled onwards to the US. We have since stayed in contact, most of the time when I visit Niger we hook-up and we call eachother from time-to-time. No long thing, just upright friendship
Recently, I just discovered via Facebook that she also knows a lot of people I know from the past. Moreover I can hardly sleep in an airplane, if you meet the right person and you engage in an interesting conversation, before you know it, your are at you destination.
On the other hand, I have also been seated next to some Agbada wearing men with beads on their neck and wrist from here to Tokyo (Nigerian chiefs), and they spread their newspapers accross over to your seat space, all because they are narrow minded to think that flying is some sort of priviledge and it upgrades their status. Forgeting that it's just some means of transportation from destination A to B.
Yeah, why not? It's something worth opening oneself for, you assess the other persons and see how the conversation evolves. That should determine the follow-up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Of These European Countries Is Good To Live In As Hustler/jjc / Nigerians In Austin, Texas / Young Black American Guy Defies Naysayers - Storms Nigeria Alone On 1st Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.