Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,917 members, 7,824,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row (634 Views)

The Truth About Ruth The 'moabite'..grab Your Bibles / Was Ship Load Of BIBLES Really Sunk By Abiola? / Imagine A Worldwide Ban On Bibles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by peteregwu(m): 2:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
KUALA LUMPUR, (AFP) – Malaysian
Islamic authorities on Thursday
seized hundreds of Bibles from a
Christian group and questioned two
of its officers, one of them said, amid
tensions over the use of the word
“Allah”.
A court in October barred a
Malaysian Catholic newspaper from
using “Allah” to refer to the
Christian God in its Malay-language
edition — a verdict which was
welcomed by Muslim conservatives
but which sparked concern among
Christians, a minority in the multi-
faith country.
After the verdict, Prime Minister
Najib Razak, walking a tightrope
between pleasing his conservative
Muslim ethnic Malay base without
alienating non-Muslim minorities,
assured Christians the practice of
their religion would not be
threatened.
But Islamic officials from the central
state of Selangor on Thursday seized
16 boxes containing more than 300
Bibles from the Bible Society of
Malaysia, said the society’s
president Lee Min Choon.
Lee said he and a colleague were
also detained “under a state law,
which prohibits the use of the word
Allah by non-Muslims”. They were
later released but must meet
authorities again next week.
Most of the seized Bibles —
imported from neighbouring
Indonesia where Malay is also
spoken — were in Malay. A few were
in Iban, a language spoken by one of
the country’s indigenous groups.
“We have been using them (the
Bibles) ever since the society started
(in 1985), and even before that,” Lee
told AFP. “This is the first time we
have been raided.”
Officials from the Selangor Islamic
Religious Department did not
immediately return a request for
comment.
The Council of Churches of Malaysia
said in a statement it was “alarmed”
by the raid and urged the
government to “protect religious
rights as provided under the Federal
Constitution”.
The dispute over the use of “Allah”
by non-Muslims erupted in early
2009, when the Home Ministry
threatened to revoke the publishing
permit of the Catholic newspaper
the Herald for using the word.
Authorities said using “Allah” in
non-Muslim literature could confuse
Muslims and entice them to convert.
The Catholic Church sued, claiming
violation of its constitutional rights.
The church says the word “Allah” is
the most accurate translation for
“God” and has been used for
decades in Malaysia and elsewhere.
A court upheld the church’s
argument later that year and lifted
the ban. But a higher court
overturned that ruling in October,
reinstating the ban.
The ban’s removal had triggered a
series of attacks on churches and
other places of worship in early
2010, using Molotov cocktails, rocks
and paint, and sparked fears of
wider religious conflict.
Muslims make up 60 percent of the
country’s 28 million people, while
Christians account for about nine
percent.
Malaysia has largely avoided overt
religious conflict in recent decades,
but tensions have slowly risen along
with what many see as an increasing
Islamisation of the country.
www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/malaysian-authorities-seize-bibles-allah-row/#sthash.UOjAtO9g.dpuf
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by kambo(m): 2:18pm On Jan 02, 2014
Wherever islam is signifcant tyranny (agains christnty) follows.
Where it preponderates death follows.
If d percntage of muslims rose to 80%+ u'd b sure wat happens in saudi arabia and iraq and egypt wud happen.
A christian cud b killed for mentiong Allah.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by gidjah(m): 2:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
DONT WORRY, THEY NEED D BIBLE FOR THEM PERSONAL SALVATION. THE SAME BIBLE SHALL HUNT THEM

1 Like

Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by tolu4you: 3:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
cnt talk
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by tolu4you: 3:48pm On Jan 02, 2014
cnt talk
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by harbiola1(m): 3:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
Yeah i love that! Those ignorance are Misusing the name of "Allah".

Imagine those stewpid catholics calling Mary the Mother of Allah. What an insanity.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by josh001(m): 4:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
gidjah: DONT WORRY, THEY NEED D BIBLE FOR THEM PERSONAL SALVATION. THE SAME BIBLE SHALL HUNT THEM
English please.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by bizmahn: 5:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
Peter Egwu,you've been long away from this section.Hope its well.Please I'm itching to confirm a serious allegation regarding Pastor Lazarus here https://www.nairaland.com/1569170/pastor-lazarus-muokas-portrait-now#20473351 .

Can you honestly confirm if this is true or not?
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by peteregwu(m): 6:47pm On Jan 02, 2014
bizmahn: Peter Egwu,you've been long away from this section.Hope its well.Please I'm itching to confirm a serious allegation regarding Pastor Lazarus here https://www.nairaland.com/1569170/pastor-lazarus-muokas-portrait-now#20473351 .

Can you honestly confirm if this is true or not?

THE PASTOR IS THE ONLY PASTOR I KNOW THAT PREACHES EVERY TIME ON PULPIT THAT ARMED ROBBERS, DRUG DEALERS, PROSTITUTES, 419ERS THIEVES, ALCOHOL DEALERS, OCCULT MEN AND CORRUPT MEN NEVER TO GIVE US THEIR OFFERING OR PUT IT IS OFFERIBG BAG OF THE CHURCH AND NEVER TO PAY THEIR TITHES IN THE CHURCH. THUS, THE ENEMIES OF
HOLINESS ARE ANGRY LIKE THEIR FATHER THE DEVIL. SO THEY HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RIFHT RUBBISH.

MY FRIEND, I WAS AT THE PROGRAMME FROM THE BEGINNING TO END, NOTHING LIKE THAT AND HE CANT SAY SUCH ABOMINABLE WORD. HE IS A PRECHER OF CONC HOLINESS. ITS UNFORTUNATELY THAT YOU SOMEWHAT BELIEVE THEM.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by bizmahn: 8:14pm On Jan 02, 2014
peteregwu:

THE PASTOR IS THE ONLY PASTOR I KNOW THAT PREACHES EVERY TIME ON PULPIT THAT ARMED ROBBERS, DRUG DEALERS, PROSTITUTES, 419ERS THIEVES, ALCOHOL DEALERS, OCCULT MEN AND CORRUPT MEN NEVER TO GIVE US THEIR OFFERING OR PUT IT IS OFFERIBG BAG OF THE CHURCH AND NEVER TO PAY THEIR TITHES IN THE CHURCH. THUS, THE ENEMIES OF
HOLINESS ARE ANGRY LIKE THEIR FATHER THE DEVIL. SO THEY HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RIFHT RUBBISH.

MY FRIEND, I WAS AT THE PROGRAMME FROM THE BEGINNING TO END, NOTHING LIKE THAT AND HE CANT SAY SUCH ABOMINABLE WORD. HE IS A PRECHER OF CONC HOLINESS. ITS UNFORTUNATELY THAT YOU SOMEWHAT BELIEVE THEM.

Bro the summary of my answer in that thread is "it better be false".But the way the OP presented it with another person confirming it will convince anyone.He mentioned he was there present so who do we believe.
Also there was this thread about two chosen pastors caught by police for ritual murder with pictures.I mean can all these be lies? They better be but I need proof.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by peteregwu(m): 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
bizmahn:
Bro the summary of my answer in that thread is "it better be false".But the way the OP presented it with another person confirming it will convince anyone.He mentioned he was there present so who do we believe.
Also there was this thread about two chosen pastors caught by police for ritual murder with pictures.I mean can all these be lies? They better be but I need proof.

WHY DO YOU BEHAVE MORE LIKE UNBELIEVERS? DONT YOU READ THE BIBLE AND LEARN HOW THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL INQUIRED ABOUT EVERYTHING FROM THE LORD. MAYBE YOU ARE THE SLEEPING TYPE THAT DOESNT HAVE TIME FOR PRAYER. WELL, I BELIEVE IT IS ONLY SINNERS THAT DONT PRAY TO GOD BECAUSE GOD MAY NOT ANSWER THEM EXCEPT THEY HUMBLE THEMSELVES IN REPENTANCE.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by bizmahn: 10:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
peteregwu:

WHY DO YOU BEHAVE MORE LIKE UNBELIEVERS? DONT YOU READ THE BIBLE AND LEARN HOW THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL INQUIRED ABOUT EVERYTHING FROM THE LORD. MAYBE YOU ARE THE SLEEPING TYPE THAT DOESNT HAVE TIME FOR PRAYER. WELL, I BELIEVE IT IS ONLY SINNERS THAT DONT PRAY TO GOD BECAUSE GOD MAY NOT ANSWER THEM EXCEPT THEY HUMBLE THEMSELVES IN REPENTANCE.
Bro, Since you are the only one that pray & read bible,please I humbly challenge that you pray so that God appears physically & shows me & everyone fighting the chosen on this forum that Chosen is doing okay.If you fail to do this then you are guilty of what you accuse me i.e prayerlessness & being an unbeliever.
You think you are speaking with someone that hasn't understood that God is not a magic wand you weild however you want.Bro, God will show whatever you ask Him "however" & "whenever" He wills.First He expects you to do your part by seeking information on the matter even after prayers which I am rightly doing.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by Samunique(m): 12:59am On Jan 03, 2014
harbiola1: Yeah i love that! Those ignorance are Misusing the name of "Allah".

Imagine those stewpid catholics calling Mary the Mother of Allah. What an insanity.
It's u and ur type who need to work on ur bigotry, ignorance and religious madness.
The word "Allah" is a title not a name, it an Arabic word which literally means God, and had been used by Arabian pagans for their god for centuries b4 Islam, many of their names in pre-islamic Arabia carried the word "Al" which is the abrevation for Allah, i.e. Al-Wahab, al-waheed, Al-fatai, Abdullah etc: even Muhammad grandfather's name who was a pagan carried the word Allah.

So if the word Allah was used by Arab pagans which was supposed to be their dialectical word for God/god, so what's so special about the word Allah then, that Muslims are ready to do anything any day any time at the slightest mistakes from their so call kafurs to defend Allah as if the word Allah was not used by pagans b4 their so call religion of peace?
Therefore, If the Arab Christians chose to use the word "Allah" for God in their Bible which is their mother tongue of calling God why not let it be? Afterall both Christians and Muslims also use the English word "God"
don't Arab Christians have the right to read the Bible in their mother tongue? If they do, then the word Allah is part of their mother tongue because it had been their way of calling God/god b4 Islam was born in 7th century.
It's just that Muslims intolerance is getting out of hand and becoming total madness.

I pray that muslims will not cause the world war lll.
Re: Malaysian Authorities Seize Bibles In ‘Allah’ Row by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:09am On Jan 03, 2014
Good riddance.

These missionaries are printing bibles to convert the Pagan Iban Dayaks of Borneo and Sumatra.

To hell with them!

All na same shyt.

Only Kaharingan Religion will prevail among the Dayaks!

(1) (Reply)

The Gospel In Four Minutes / Just A Testimony I Feel The Leading To Share! / Who Came First Btwn The Chickend & Egg???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.