Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,294 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies (10503 Views)

Startimes Slashes Bouquet Prices / Current List Of Channels Available On Startimes Decoder / Startimes Decoder: What is your view about Startimes and startimes Decoder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
Startimes has started spreading widely to cover every part of Nigeria with promises of fantastic service delivery with the most touted being their signals are strong even when there is rainfall.

Rewind to 4 months back and startimes came to my little town in delta state, after seeing their channel list especially the local channels, I decided to get it and that is where my troubles started.

To start with their signals gets disrupted even when there is no rainfall, I have complained to customer care and the local agent that sold to me but obviously the problem is bigger than them. So the reality is I have to live with the horrible service that is constantly fluctuating and going off and on at will. My pole is tall enough and there is no obstruction.

There are times 5 stations will be showing perfectly will some others have no signal.

The decoder sold to me is bad and the agent refused to change it. The problem is while some stations have good audio, fine living network has very bad audio then I had to fix some wires wrongly and the audio came out, problem is some other stations that were hitherto good lost their audio.

There is also this obnoxious background sound in channels like MTV base, nickelodeon, e! and others I can not remember now.

The most infuriating is the adverts placed on the volume bar, title bar and system menu, the service is not free for goodness sake.

Initial installation for the service might seem cheap but the reality is it is expensive compared to other pay tv like mytv who offer better services. They do not even have free view channels to watch when your subscription expires, you either pay or abandon it, even the almighty dstv does not engage in such. Charging N4,000 for their biggest bouquet with over 70 wacky channels is just absurd.

The thing now is startimes is spreading like wildfire across Nigeria to states that did not have it before and I am using this medium to warn all potential customers, so you do not get stuck in the mess I find myself. My consolation is mytv and dstv.

If I had seen a review like this online, I wouldn't have wasted my money to buy it.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
Moderator please put this on the frontpage for a wider audience to see this.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by adonisgold: 4:58pm On Jan 04, 2014
Why u wan spoil market for dem na? You admitted u fixed some wires wrongly and peharps,damaged ur decoder which is why d agent refused to change it. Probably their service will stabilize as de get more established.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by adonisgold: 4:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
Moderator is more likely to take down ur post.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
adonisgold: Why u wan spoil market for dem na? You admitted u fixed some wires wrongly and peharps,damaged ur decoder which is why d agent refused to change it. Probably their service will stabilize as de get more established.
What do you mean by spoiling market for them? This is the attitude of most Nigerians-we will rather live with a problem than solve it. This thread is meant to serve as a notice to intending customers and startimes too and not to destroy their business as you claim.

I didn't fix wires wrongly as a matter of fact their technician fixed it for me and she did it correctly but my fln channel had no audio. After 2 months of seeking solution from startimes without success I decided to fix the wires again wrongly and fln channel got audio but about 6 channels lost audio. As it is now, it is wrongly fixed and fln channel has audio but some other channels lost audio.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by lecturerdabo(m): 5:45pm On Jan 04, 2014
adonisgold: Why u wan spoil market for dem na? You admitted u fixed some wires wrongly and peharps,damaged ur decoder which is why d agent refused to change it. Probably their service will stabilize as de get more established.
I dsagree wt u! I ve bot frm them 2decoders! their svc is TRASH! So I dumped dem for Gotv

1 Like

Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
lecturerdabo:
I dsagree wt u! I ve bot frm them 2decoders! their svc is TRASH! So I dumped dem for Gotv
if there was gotv in my town I would have got it because I know dstv will set a standard and have a reputation to maintain.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by dejt4u(m): 6:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Drniyi4u(m): 6:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by cardoso111(m): 7:06pm On Jan 04, 2014
Some folks need to take their complaints to the company instead of generalizing about a product!at worst go to Consumer Protection Council!!!
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
cardoso111: Some folks need to take their complaints to the company instead of generalizing about a product!at worst go to Consumer Protection Council!!!
Did you even read my post? I do not have time for people like you who can't read.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by erniok(m): 7:31pm On Jan 04, 2014
cardoso111: Some folks need to take their complaints to the company instead of generalizing about a product!at worst go to Consumer Protection Council!!!
Consumer protection council indeed. Your telecom network providers are ripping you off and what have they done so far about it.

1 Like

Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by erniok(m): 7:35pm On Jan 04, 2014
@ blink: Dstv allowing you to watch some channels on the expiration of your subscription? Good for you cos I get to watch only one useless Chinese channel wen mine expires.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
erniok: @ blink: Dstv allowing you to watch some channels on the expiration of your subscription? Good for you cos I get to watch only one useless Chinese channel wen mine expires.
honestly since mytv came I hardly subscribe to dstv and it has been a long while, the ghanaian channels comfort me.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by guass(m): 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2014
blink182(m)
[size=28pt]WITH TIME STARTIMES WILL REALIZE THAT ALL THEIR BOUQUET GRAMMARS:UNIQUE, CLASSIC AND BASIC ARE NOTHING BUT NONSENSE AND THAT IN THE ABSENCE OF LIVE MATCHES, ANY SUBSCRIPTION ABOVE #1000 WILL SCARE AWAY NIGERIANS.
MYTV HAS UNDERSTOOD THE CONSEQUENCES OF MAINTAINING A HIGH SUBSCRIPTION FEE AND THEREFORE BENT TO FORCES OF REVOLUTION.
TODAY,
[/size][size=38pt]SATELLITE REVOLUTION IS HERE![/size]
[size=28pt]NOW, LIKE MANY SATELLITE LOVERS U CAN NOW ACCESS ANYTHING UR EYES POINT AT.[/size]
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 05, 2014
guass: blink182(m)
[size=28pt]WITH TIME STARTIMES WILL REALIZE THAT ALL THEIR BOUQUET GRAMMARS:UNIQUE, CLASSIC AND BASIC ARE NOTHING BUT NONSENSE AND THAT IN THE ABSENCE OF LIVE MATCHES, ANY SUBSCRIPTION ABOVE #1000 WILL SCARE AWAY NIGERIANS.
MYTV HAS UNDERSTOOD THE CONSEQUENCES OF MAINTAINING A HIGH SUBSCRIPTION FEE AND THEREFORE BENT TO FORCES OF REVOLUTION.
TODAY,
[/size][size=38pt]SATELLITE REVOLUTION IS HERE![/size]
[size=28pt]NOW, LIKE MANY SATELLITE LOVERS U CAN NOW ACCESS ANYTHING UR EYES POINT AT.[/size]
Very true. I just do not want any person falling for this again. Imagine them charging 4k while mytv just reduced theirs from 1900 to a smaller figure. I am really sorry for them. To think they don't even have really good stations, they want me to pay 4k for fx, fox entertainment and Nat geo gold, stations readily available on mytv.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
?
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by agitator: 8:28am On Jan 06, 2014
Bro, you can enjoy quality foreign movies, nollywood, news, sports (including football matches - EPL, CL, etc), documetaries with your Strong FTA decoder and two satellite dishes. If you need local Channels then subscribe to MyTV and use the decoder for addtional FTA channels that airs sports. wink wink wink
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 06, 2014
agitator: Bro, you can enjoy quality foreign movies, nollywood, news, sports (including football matches - EPL, CL, etc), documetaries without your Strong FTA decoder and two satellite dishes. If you need local Channels then subscribe to MyTV and use the decoder for addtional FTA channels that airs sports. wink wink wink
what exactly are you talking about? Is it that hacked decorder with full dstv subscription or something else.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by agitator: 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2014
blink182: what exactly are you talking about? Is it that hacked decorder with full dstv subscription or something else.

What I mean is there are free Satellite TV channels out there. No hacking or hacked decoder, just your decoder and dish and you are good to go. grin grin grin
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 06, 2014
agitator:

What I mean is there are free Satellite TV channels out there. No hacking or hacked decoder, just your decoder and dish and you are good to go. grin grin grin
Lol, might swerve soon.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
blink182: Lol, might swerve soon.
please what's the name of the phone that you bought from aliexpress I think that you created thread for recently .I think nairaland earthquake deleted it
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
4bobo:
please what's the name of the phone that you bought from aliexpress I think that you created thread for recently .I think nairaland earthquake deleted it
wd phone
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jul 07, 2014
blink182: wd phone
I thought you had a thread about a tab phone like that that looks like Samsung note 3 or so with two batteries. what is the name?
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 07, 2014
4bobo:
I thought you had a thread about a tab phone like that that looks like Samsung note 3 or so with two batteries. what is the name?
that's the name. Wd phone, go to aliexpress and search it.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 08, 2014
blink182: that's the name. Wd phone, go to aliexpress and search it.
oh, thanks. I thought u initially said wc phone, Lol..
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Ibaku(m): 8:55am On Jul 08, 2014
watch out startimes coming big on dish and decoder with big channels from former south african pay tv company (top tv )
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
Ibaku: watch out startimes coming big on dish and decoder with big channels from former south african pay tv company (top tv )
its been a year since they acquired top TV, yet no show for us here. I guess competition will knock some sense to their heads.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by donaremu(m): 4:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
@ Poster,

Sorry about the challenges you faced, maybe you can select GOTV if their coverage has gotten to your area.

To the rest of the house, that are thinking STARTIMES will fail, I do not have a crystal ball but I think they will survive.
The digitalisation transformation in Nigerian Broadcasting industrial which is due for 2015 will aid their survival.
Star-Time & NTA is one of the selected Digital broadcasting Carrier Company and Pinnacle Communications Limited is the second Carrier Company(http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/pinnacle-wins-digital-broadcasting-licence-with-n618-75m/) remaining only one slot which might possibly be gotten by AIT or DSTV Mobile.
During the digital TV broadcast era, each house will need to have a Set-up box to be able to access TV contents. All existing TV operators will become TV content providers to the 3 signal carrier companies which will transmit their signal all across the country. These TV contents will be Free To View and Pay TV.
Re: Please Stay Away From Startimes and their lies by stockbull(m): 9:21am On Oct 25, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Startimes Gemini+ Decoder Installation: HELP!! / Solar World( Your Number Solar Shop / Startimes Decoder: What is your view about Startimes and startimes Decoder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.