Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,467 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? (4440 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Igbo Language And Nigerian Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by djkaneo(m): 5:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
I am an Igbo man from Abia State.....I speak the Umuahian version of Ibo and I believe it is the real Igbo Language.
But some of my peepz from other Ibo States think otherwise. So please Nairalanders(Ibo Nairalanders) help a brother out.
Which Ibo dialect is the main Igbo Nzugbe?
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by ezeagu(m): 5:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
What do you mean by 'Umuahia version of "Ibo"'?
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by berryldilty(f): 5:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
Igbo is made up of all Igbo dialects but predominant dialect is umuahia igbo
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by Bantino(m): 5:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
djkaneo: I am an Igbo man from Abia State.....I speak the Umuahian version of Ibo and I believe it is the real Igbo Language.
But some of my peepz from other Ibo States think otherwise. So please Nairalanders(Ibo Nairalanders) help a brother out.
Which Ibo dialect is the main Igbo Nzugbe?

Are you sure that you are an igbo man? Why write ibo instead of igbo??

Anyway, igbo language is igbo language anywhere, no need to create some kinda divisions among the igbos

1 Like

Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by djkaneo(m): 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bantino:

Are you sure that you are an igbo man? Why write ibo instead of igbo??

Anyway, igbo language is igbo language anywhere, no need to create some kinda divisions among the igbos

I can use Ibo or Igbo.....both mean same thing.
Maybe you haven't heard the Nsukka version.....yes Ibo language is Igbo language but the dialects differ.
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by Ngodigha: 9:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
djkaneo:

I can use Ibo or Igbo.....both mean same thing.
Maybe you haven't heard the Nsukka version.....yes Ibo language is Igbo language but the dialects differ.
Monkey, shut up and accept correction from people who are more intelligent than you.
It is Igbo.
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
berryldilty: Igbo is made up of all Igbo dialects but predominant dialect is umuahia igbo

Elaborate
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:17am On Jan 06, 2014
I can't believe people are really about to entertain this thread.
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by agadez007(m): 4:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
if we were still in the era of slave trade,this o.p will be good market
still wondering what you mean by ''real igbo''

the central/izugbe igbo was chosen by human beings like you and i and not by God,so that dosent make them(umuahia) the ''real igbos'' and others with diff dialects fake
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
Abeg Igbo Izugbe (what you call "Main Igbo language") is a SYNTHESIZED language. I've had this argument with a friend before. Incidentally he is also from Umuahia.

Igbo Izugbe was synthesized from a number of dialects spoken in the southern Igbo area. I don't immediately recall the contributing dialects. But I'm pretty sure Ezinihitte in Imo state contributed. I think Ibeku (Umuahia area) contributed as well...together with a number of other dialects.
Re: Which Ibo Dialect Is Used As The Main Igbo Language? by arkreality: 4:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
I believe the op was refering to written Igbo which is Igbo Nzugbe. E.G, : Market : "Afia" ( Anambra/Enugu) but you cant write same as written Igbo but "Ahia". etc

(1) (Reply)

5 Unbelievable Igbo Culture Beliefs / What Is Your Blood Type? / If You Can Speak English, Come Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.