Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? (1035 Views)

Hope For C++ Newbies: Gui Toolkits / Ruby On Rails Developers In Nigeria / Where Are The Flex Developers in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pythonian99: 9:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
It has always been on my mind to ask this question but an event this weekend has prompted me to come forward. A friend saw my paper design of a gui app, and he was like "the world is moving in the direction of mobile and i'm still backward with gui" sad
There seem to be little or no attention given to GUI development by Nigerian programmers. We only discuss/ code for the web, mobile and game and GUI seems to be obsolete. Well i intend diving into creation of gui apps but for personal use, sorry wink so i just want to throw forward the questions:

>>> Are there GUI developers in Nigeria? Please indicate yourself

>>> What language(s) do you use or you think is best suited for GUIs'?

>>> Would/ do you create GUI apps for commercial or personal purposes or both

>>> What is/are your major challenge(s) as a GUI developer?

>>> What do you have to say to n00bs to encourage them to go into GUI? or why should "they" not venture there?

Thanks smiley
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by spikesC(m): 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2014
errrm, maybe am not getting this but wats GUI?

graphical user interface? or is it something else?
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by cyrielo(m): 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
@op what your own definition of a GUI
to the best of my knowledge it is the graphics interface where the users interact with the application you've created with one of the numerous programming languages undecided
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pythonian99: 10:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
Desktop GUIs
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by ViktorMartins(m): 12:35am On Jan 06, 2014
>>> Are there GUI developers in Nigeria? Am one
>>> What language(s) do you use or you think is best suited for GUIs'? I use python
>>> Would/ do you create GUI apps for commercial or personal purposes or both? Both
>>> What is/are your major challenge(s) as a GUI developer? Myself
>>> What do you have to say to n00bs to encourage them to go into GUI? or why should "they" not venture there? Its their choice
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by BlueMagnificent(m): 1:22am On Jan 06, 2014
I do mine with c++ using either Qt or wxWidgets toolkits and alot of my projects are just personal ( for the hack of it). You can also use java, python and most of the dot-net languages
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by jboy01(m): 11:31am On Jan 06, 2014
i do mine with vb.net and java and also a learning android development at leasure time
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by GoodBoi1(m): 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2014
Do you mean GUI libraries\API or apps?
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pythonian99: 6:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
ViktorMartins:
>>> Are there GUI developers in Nigeria? Am one

cool

>>> What language(s) do you use or you think is best suited for GUIs'? I use python

same here. My choice is wxPy, yours is?

>>> Would/ do you create GUI apps for commercial or personal purposes or both? Both

Have you launched any for the public or yet to?

>>> What is/are your major challenge(s) as a GUI developer? Myself

lol, how?

>>> What do you have to say to n00bs to encourage them to go into GUI? or why should "they" not venture there? Its their choice

Many n00bs dont know about it sad

Thanks for your response!
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pythonian99: 6:10pm On Jan 06, 2014
BlueMagnificent: I do mine with c++ using either Qt or wxWidgets toolkits

I was made to understand it's tough using C++ for GUI apps. A buddy switched to Python from C++ claiming it isn't fun and easy.

and alot of my projects are just personal ( for the hack of it)

can you offer suggestions/ideas on what to create as a desktop app because of those who may want to dive into it?
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pythonian99: 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good Boi: Do you mean GUI libraries\API or apps?

cry cry

Pythonian99: Desktop GUIs

I thought my thread title was clear. embarassed
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pythonian99: 6:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
jboy01: i do mine with vb.net and java

for public or private use

and also a learning android development at leasure time

android on desktop sad

Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:36pm On Jan 06, 2014
@pythonian99... C++ normaly does not come with an official gui library so instead third party vendors supply c++ gui toolkits to be used for projects. These toolkits, like wxWidgets are simply wrappers over the operating systems user interface api, hence making it very easy to create controls and even handle event. wxWidgets is one of these toolkits as mentioned above including qt. And believe me so long as you know the basics of OOP using them is so so easy. You can check this post I made for better explanation www.nairaland.com/1562329/hope-c-newbies-gui-toolkits

As for desktop application... The popular IDE code::blocks was built with wxWidgets, including audacity which is an audio editor. Besides these two, there are tones of other. For Qt we have VLC, autodesk maya ( for 3d modeling) and a tone of others as well.

So what can you do with these gui toolkits? Alot. You can build desktop apps for network traffic monitoring, you can build your own customised socket based app, video editor, visual database interface, web browser ( or any other type of web client), you can build commercial grade management systems and alot more

my advice for noobs is that every complex thing is made up of small simple part. Jst settle down and learn and you'll get it
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by ViktorMartins(m): 11:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
Pythonian99:

Thanks for your response!
1. EasyGui and Tkinter
2. Launched a poem(love) app my for gf, and launched some personal apps like keylogger and password saver... Will launch for the public soon
3. I can be lazy at times, thats why am a challenge to myself
4. Lets us launch meaningful apps that can make them aware of it.
Re: Where Are The Desktop GUI Developers In Nigeria? by Pins(m): 11:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
I do mine with java and visual basic

(1) (Reply)

This Thread Pissed Me Off So Much!!!!! / Sage Evolution Premium Software / Tools And Services Any Front-end Web Developmer Must Have

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.