Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,336 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

What Is Meaning Of Gambari? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Meaning Of Gambari? (8765 Views)

Bomb Blast At Gambari Market Maiduguri This Morning (Photos) / Asari: Amaechi Betrayed Saro-wiwa & ND With His Pro-gambari APC Rally Speech / Wikileaks:how Condi Rice Got Amb Gambari Fired From Burma Job Over Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by felifeli: 10:01am On Jan 07, 2014
I have heard Yoruba use the word Gambari to generally describe northerners often derogatorily. Where did this word come from ?
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by ImperialYoruba: 10:07am On Jan 07, 2014
The correct word is Kyamberi. They are a minority tribe in Zamfara.
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by felifeli: 10:10am On Jan 07, 2014
Ther are people called gambari especially from Kwara state though.
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by ImperialYoruba: 10:16am On Jan 07, 2014
I dont dispute that. In reference to the Northern label, Gambari is adulteration of Kyamberi tribe.
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by felifeli: 11:19am On Jan 07, 2014
Ok. So it is Kyamberi pa Fulani ko sejo
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by ImperialYoruba: 11:23am On Jan 07, 2014
Ah, iro o! Im only just stating where the label came frkm, das all. That doesnt mean the phrase should be modified.
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by yinkkus: 7:17am On Aug 06, 2023
Kambari of Niger state

felifeli ImperialYoruba
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by Throwback: 7:20am On Aug 06, 2023
felifeli:
I have heard Yoruba use the word Gambari to generally describe northerners often derogatorily. Where did this word come from ?

It is used by Yorubas to refer to Hausa.

But you are wrong to say it is used derogatorily.

It is used descriptively.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by Throwback: 7:21am On Aug 06, 2023
felifeli:
Ok. So it is Kyamberi pa Fulani ko sejo

It means if Hausa kills Fulani, it is a family matter, not a law case.

Nothing derogatory about it.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by BigBlackPreek(m): 7:35am On Aug 06, 2023
Gambari is town between Ogbomosho and Ilorin

However it is under Oyo state and listed as a small town in ogbomosho

I was there around last year before I was mobilized to PH for NYSC, where I am presently

The Inhabitant are 80percent Yoruba with small amounts of Fulani, Ibariba etc

1 Like

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by ImperialYoruba: 7:48am On Aug 06, 2023
yinkkus:
Kambari of Niger state

felifeli ImperialYoruba

Kyambari.

Before Fulani, three major ethnics existed in what is now North Nigeria - Hausa, Gambari (Kyambari) and Kanuri.

Kyambari (also spelt as Kyamberi) is an ancient ethnic group, previously powerful but decimated by getting caught in the crosshairs of multiple wars. They were a people on banks of River Niger across current day Kebbi and Niger states.

Yoruba, Baruba and Hausa call them Gambari. In old Oyo they had a titular post. They still do in Ilorin till today. They also do in Ningi and I believe in either Sokoto or Gwandu.

1 Like

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by yinkkus: 8:12am On Aug 06, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

Kyambari.

Before Fulani, three major ethnics existed in what is now North Nigeria - Hausa, Gambari (Kyambari) and Kanuri.

Kyambari (also spelt as Kyamberi) is an ancient ethnic group, previously powerful but decimated by getting caught in the crosshairs of multiple wars. They were a people on banks of River Niger across current day Kebbi and Niger states.

Yoruba, Baruba and Hausa call them Gambari. In old Oyo they had a titular post. They still do in Ilorin till today. They also do in Ningi and I believe in either Sokoto or Gwandu.

The Kambari people, today are mainly found in Agwara, Magama and Mariga LGAs in Niger State. Some live in Rijau, Wushishi and Borgu LGAs. They are also found in Ngaski and Yauri LGAs of Kebbi State; they are present in area where Zamfara, Niger and Kebbi State meet or share borders in today's Nigeria map.

Kyamberi and kambari are NOT different people.

Kambari or Kyamberi , they are the same.

They are group of people who practise nudity as a way of life.

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by yinkkus: 8:29am On Aug 06, 2023
Throwback:

It is used by Yorubas to refer to Hausa.

But you are wrong to say it is used derogatorily.

It is used descriptively.

He is right , sometimes and even oftentimes used derogatorily.

Kambari or Kyamberi present in Niger , Kebbi and Zamfara ; they are tribes in northern Nigeria even before fulani came for their dominance.

Some still practise nudity as a way of life today.

felifeli
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by yinkkus: 8:42am On Aug 06, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
Gambari is town between Ogbomosho and Ilorin

However it is under Oyo state and listed as a small town in ogbomosho

I was there around last year before I was mobilized to PH for NYSC, where I am presently

The Inhabitant are 80percent Yoruba with small amounts of Fulani, Ibariba etc

Gambari is a variant of the original term kambari or Kyamberi, an ethnic group and not a town; although any town or settlement today bearing the name may have historical link with the the tribe gambari/kambari/Kyamberi.

Knowing Yoruba people extend and interracted with them they are found in Niger state ,( southern extension) and in Kebbi and Zamfara ( northern extension).

Yoruba people are found in Kwara , Benin republic and they would have interracted greatly with the kambari in neighbouring state of Niger and Baruba land ( in Benin republic , Kwara and Niger state).

Pretty much relationship existed between them and the Yoruba, so we don't rule out our own term for their tribe and our town name after them , based on their presence there possibly.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by yinkkus: 8:54am On Aug 06, 2023
To add kambari also extend down to Baruba part of Kwara , and there presence in Ilorin and knowledge in Yoruba land is no surprise.

ImperialYoruba Throwback felifeli BigBlackPreek
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by BigBlackPreek(m): 8:59am On Aug 06, 2023
yinkkus:

Gambari is a variant of the original term kambari or Kyamberi, an ethnic group and not a town; although any town or settlement today bearing the name may have historical link with the the tribe gambari/kambari/Kyamberi.

Knowing Yoruba people extend and interracted with them they are found in Niger state ,( southern extension) and in Kebbi and Zamfara ( northern extension).

Yoruba people are found in Kwara , Benin republic and they would have interracted greatly with the kambari in neighbouring state of Niger and Baruba land ( in Benin republic , Kwara and Niger state).

Pretty much relationship existed between them and the Yoruba, so we don't rule out our own term for their tribe and our town name after them , based on their presence there possibly.
Aptly explained

I'm an Indigene of Ilorin with Fulani maternal grandmother(deceased)

2 Likes

Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by oyatz(m): 9:34pm On Sep 01, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
Aptly explained

I'm an Indigene of Ilorin with Fulani maternal grandmother(deceased)

Thanks, for the explanation.

However, why is a section of the ruling Fulani dynasty in Ilorin bearing 'Gambari' as Surnames,if there is another minority tribe called Kyamberi?
Re: What Is Meaning Of Gambari? by igwebuike01: 9:59pm On Sep 01, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

Kyambari.

And they are counted as Hausa population today? Minorities full North pass South sef

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Man Joins Israel Military, Celebrate With Friends (pics) / Lagos Free Zone To Attract Additional $5 Billion Investment To Lagos / NNPC Declares Zero FAAC Remittance For 8th Time As Subsidy Gulps ₦2.6 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.