Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Nigerian Visa Rip Off - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Visa Rip Off (1829 Views)

Nigerian Visa Named The 9th Hardest In The World / Canada Begins Compulsory Fingerprint For Nigerian Visa Applicants / Applying For Nigerian Visa For My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Visa Rip Off by MrsOyibo(f): 6:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
I want to travel to Nigeria in April for my sister in law's wedding. I called the High Commission in London today to ask how much it a visa would cost. I was told that a company called OIS now deal with the all visa and passport applications. When I called them they told me that a single entry visa visa valid for three months would cost me $170 plus a $20 admin fee to be paid to VFS Global! I nearly had a heart attack....the last time I had a visa in 2009 it cost the equivalent of N10,000 plus a £20 admin fee. Just as I was picking my jaw up off of the floor, the OIS chap told me that my application would also be subject to a £72 admin fee payable to OIS and a further £20 admin fee payable to the Nigerian High Commission! He also told me that my bank account would have to show a minimum balance of £500 in credit! I then told the guy that my husband is Nigerian because I was sure that he was mistaken. NO MISTAKE! I think that having such a high fee for the spouse of a Nigerian citizen is disgusting. And before you guys rant on about what the Home Office charge for spouses of British citizens, I'm an Irish citizen and my husband has never had to pay for a visa to accompany me to my country or to any other European country for that matter. And although we live in London, he didn't have to pay for his resident card here either because I'm classed an EU citizen.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by justwise(m): 7:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
Mrs.Oyibo:
I want to travel to Nigeria in April for my sister in law's wedding. I called the High Commission in London today to ask how much it a visa would cost. I was told that a company called OIS now deal with the all visa and passport applications. When I called them they told me that a single entry visa visa valid for three months would cost me $170 plus a $20 admin fee to be paid to VFS Global! I nearly had a heart attack....the last time I had a visa in 2009 it cost the equivalent of N10,000 plus a £20 admin fee. Just as I was picking my jaw up off of the floor, the OIS chap told me that my application would also be subject to a £72 admin fee payable to OIS and a further £20 admin fee payable to the Nigerian High Commission! He also told me that my bank account would have to show a minimum balance of £500 in credit! I then told the guy that my husband is Nigerian because I was sure that he was mistaken. NO MISTAKE! I think that having such a high fee for the spouse of a Nigerian citizen is disgusting. And before you guys rant on about what the Home Office charge for spouses of British citizens, I'm an Irish citizen and my husband has never had to pay for a visa to accompany me to my country or to any other European country for that matter. And although we live in London, he didn't have to pay for his resident card here either because I'm classed an EU citizen.
Get Nigerian passport to aviod all these problems, with that you don't visa to visit Nigeria. I'm glad that Nigerian embassy is turning the heat on with high charges, the UK increases visa fees unchallenged, your husband don't pay because he probably hold irish resident paper.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by MrsOyibo(f): 7:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
Actually the charges for a British citizen are less. $144 instead of $170. And my husband had a UK resident permit, not an Irish one! I do agree that the Home Office remain unchallenged in their fee increases, but at least their fees are the same no matter where you come from. If I was an Iraqi passport holder I would only have to pay $3, yes $3, for my Nigerian visa and if I held a Danish passport then I would pay $88. Just doesn't make sense.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by icon8: 8:32pm On Jan 07, 2014
Mrs.Oyibo:
OP, who were you referring to in that statement in bold up there?
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by justwise(m): 2:17am On Jan 08, 2014
Mrs.Oyibo:
Actually the charges for a British citizen are less. $144 instead of $170. And my husband had a UK resident permit, not an Irish one! I do agree that the Home Office remain unchallenged in their fee increases, but at least their fees are the same no matter where you come from. If I was an Iraqi passport holder I would only have to pay $3, yes $3, for my Nigerian visa and if I held a Danish passport then I would pay $88. Just doesn't make sense.

Its tite for tate policy, as British govt increases visa fees for Nigerians coming to the UK, Nigerian govt do the same too.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by husseinjnr: 1:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
@OP, please dont forget the word " Reciprocity" in international politics. Pay the money like we do or obtain a Nigerian passport and be part of us. Enjoy your stay in Nigeria when you come.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by abiola992(m): 2:37pm On Jan 08, 2014
How much is 170$ anyway? Compared to the proposed €10k bond. Get a Nigerian passport while it's cheap, 10years from now, it would be very expensive and difficult to visit Nigeria. (Mark my words)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by MrsOyibo(f): 4:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
I'd happily get a Nigerian passport and did try the last time that we were in Nigeria - no luck though!
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by prinsaysk: 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
Hardluck, European govts are extremly harsh to Nigerians maybe that's y. Get that passport fast atleast u r a lover of Nigerians so u deserve no stress. Have a lovely stay in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by dasparrow: 9:27am On Jan 09, 2014
Mrs.Oyibo:
I'd happily get a Nigerian passport and did try the last time that we were in Nigeria - no luck though!

If you don't reside in Nigeria, it will be difficult obtaining a Nigerian passport. Being married to a Nigerian does not automatically qualify you for a Nigerian passport. You will have to have lived in Nigeria for an extended period of time in order to qualify. And before you go on a rant on how unfair that might be, I just want to let you know that the same rule applies in the USA as well. If I were married to an American spouse and don't live in America, the United States Homeland security department will revoke my green card - also known as the permanent residency card - unless I can prove that I spent at least 6 months out of the year in America and I will have to have held a green card for 3 years before I will be asked to take a citizenship test, pass the test and then be given USA citizenship.

So, being married to someone from another country does not automatically make you eligible for your spouse's citizenship. You have to have lived in your spouse's country for an extended period of time in order to qualify. Lastly, European countries generally have very harsh immigration policies for Nigerians so tell me why Nigeria should not reciprocate the gesture? What's good for the goose is equally good for the gander!
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by icon8: 11:04am On Jan 09, 2014
dasparrow:

If you don't reside in Nigeria, it will be difficult obtaining a Nigerian passport. Being married to a Nigerian does not automatically qualify you for a Nigerian passport. You will have to have lived in Nigeria for an extended period of time in order to qualify. And before you go on a rant on how unfair that might be, I just want to let you know that the same rule applies in the USA as well. If I were married to an American spouse and don't live in America, the United States Homeland security department will revoke my green card - also known as the permanent residency card - unless I can prove that I spent at least 6 months out of the year in America and I will have to have held a green card for 3 years before I will be asked to take a citizenship test, pass the test and then be given USA citizenship.

So, being married to someone from another country does not automatically make you eligible for your spouse's citizenship. You have to have lived in your spouse's country for an extended period of time in order to qualify. Lastly, European countries generally have very harsh immigration policies for Nigerians so tell me why Nigeria should not reciprocate the gesture? What's good for the goose is equally good for the gander!
Great comment! You just brought a smile to my face.
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by Footlocker(m): 1:26am On Jul 04, 2014
My friend came to visit me from UK about 2months ago! Had to go through OIS as well. As for £500 all you need is a bank statement printout with that amount He's visa was issued in two working days! He was issued a 3month visiting visa! I must say it's Ridiculous how nigerians go through HELL to get visa! Whilst foreigners get our visa in a blink of an eye! Not that am complaining!
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by Nobody: 3:32am On Jul 12, 2014
Footlocker: My friend came to visit me from UK about 2months ago! Had to go through OIS as well. As for £500 all you need is a bank statement printout with that amount He's visa was issued in two working days! He was issued a 3month visiting visa! I must say it's Ridiculous how nigerians go through HELL to get visa! Whilst foreigners get our visa in a blink of an eye! Not that am complaining!

just 500GBP? are you for real? I wish I could say the same for bank statements of Nigerians visiting UK

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by Footlocker(m): 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
obiligbo:

just 500GBP? are you for real? I wish I could say the same for bank statements of Nigerians visiting UK
. http://oisservices.com/visas/visitor-visa/
Re: Nigerian Visa Rip Off by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 12, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Urgent!!! How Safe Is Taraba State To Live? / Australia Or Dubai, Please I Need Advice / Onlookers Snap Photos As Accident Victim Struggles To Crawl Out From Summersault

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.