Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,486 members, 7,954,867 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:19 AM

Who Is The 'JESUS' Of Nigerian Music? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Is The 'JESUS' Of Nigerian Music? (691 Views)

I Am The Jesus Of Nigerian Music - Jesse Jagz / Favourite Songs From The Golden Age Of Nigerian Music / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The 'JESUS' Of Nigerian Music? by yinkabillion: 10:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
I am quite aware that some people might quite have a problem with associating the name 'JESUS' with another individual.Yes i know but your Jesus is safe.Nobody is trying to compare anybody with him or steal his 'shine' as the distinction is obvious.We have jesus christ of nazareth,jesus navas of spain,jesus of okrika grin and the likes.But one thing is sure.Each of them all have and had their place in history as their works can never be intersected or criss-crossed.History has made things easier,so be it jesus of okrika,jesus navas or jesus christ of nazareth or better-still jesus of Nigerian music,they are all well differentiated.So Jesus christ of nazareth is safe,this is not an attack or reduce whatever pedestals you have placed him.Now back to the intersting topic:When you say Jesus(of nazareth),what comes to the human mind?
You think of somebody that could stand for the truth,someone that could recognize the peoples problems,someone that spreads the words to solve the people's problems and not pretend not to recognize the peoples problem or tend to divert them away from their problems for selfish reasons,lack of courage or insensitivity.In short Jesus was the voice of the people in times of trouble.He spoke the truth whether some set of people wanted it to be said or not.Now this is what a 'JESUS' is mostly known for.Now the concept of 'Jesus' has been explained.Now lets go to Nigeria.When you say Nigeria,what comes to the mind?
You think of a country with injustice,lack of morals,corruption,double standard,oppression of the masses,thievery,poverty of the mind and soul,lack of vision on the part of the nigerian youths and so on.That said,so if jesus christ was a Nigerian,he would probably spread and promote words to find solutions to these problems.So we have been able to link jesus with nigeria.Now lets go to music.What comes to the mind of a common man when you say music?
Well there are a thousand and one ways to define music but from my point of view music is any form of art usually accompanied with sounds with a message portraying or expressing emotions.Am quite sure most people will agree with my little definition cheesy
Sorry for taking your time but i had to make you understand the topic properly so as to make my message easier to pass smiley
Now if we call someone the Jesus of Nigerian Music,we dont necessarily mean that person is the best,richest,finest or the most accepted nigerian musician...NO.We simply mean a Nigerian musician that is not scared to say the truth(this is where jesus comes in) about the nigerian situation(this is where nigeria comes in) through his music(where music comes in).We are talking of a musician that spreads words that represents the true situation of Nigeria.A musician that is intelligent,brave,sensitive and most importantly bold enuff to lyrically voice thr true situation of nigeria without considering personal interest,sugar coating or misrepresenting the true situation here in NIGERIA.[/b]that is who a jesus of nigerian music is
Now a musician in Nigeria has once claimed to be the jesus of nigerian music,yes,JESSIE JAGS!!!Am sure you all heard bout the gist here.
After much scrutiny,i have no choice than to agree with his claims.Wait before you bite me grin.Take a look at the lyrics of selassie by jesse jags.Jesus couldnt av said more i can tell you as this a true and perfect representation of the situation here in nigeria
VERSE 1

There was a time we had kings in the palace/ but now we off balance/

I’m calling all [b]Christians and Catholics
/ might be time to get your[b] prayer books and a chalice[/b]/ let the bishop know and send word to every parish/ everybody needs to get ready like a savage/ everybody needs to get the picture like Mavrik / but Zion [/b]never stops until the [b]people is established/

Yeah we had kings in the palace/ its time to let these niggaZ know to[b] preach[/b] what they practice/ 3rd world soldier nigga, everything is fascist/ they cling to the power while we burn in the ashes/ and the people are getting butt bleeped like a gay/ stealing from the people’s now a habit/ there’s no harm done if they don’t understand it/ and the charm’s gone there’s no feet for this rabbit/ there always will be war when you feeding people panic/ to them its playing carrots and carriage/ war and damage/ blame the youth when the old folk got no standards/ so[b] everybody manage, living on the average[/b]/ I intrude like 2nd wives in a marriage/ yeah I know we need a King in the palace / cos now we lost in this wonderland like Alice/ life is the canvas/ and knowledge the advantage/

VERSE 2

There was a time we had priests in the shrine/ the seasons was fine and we feast all the tim[/b]e/[b] now the angels are yours and the demon[/b]s are mine/ [b]life’s turned sour like the sweets are full of lime/ and[b] now the streets are full of crime[/b]/ everything done to the east was a crime/ its cause and effect, nigga infinite time/ so my knuckles stay jagged, Nigerian grind/ yeah we had priests in the shrine/ seek and you find/ each in his time/ but life don’t make your experience mine/ each human being shall experience time/ I kick shit like helium 5/ there was a time we was feeling alive/ radio stations now believing in bribe/ you won’t hear this kinda talk on the evening drive/

VERSE 3

There was a time you had love for the game/ when you walk with the fame, see your talk gonna change/ I spits hot and I make mama say/ Jaga coming ma way, you can’t stop[b] Zion train[/b]/ Rastafarai yeah fire blaze/ no royalty in the entire trade/ the truth is all empires fade/ Jaga still spits hot and I make mama say/ that in a land far away/ where I annihilate anything in my way / I initiate and I make power plays/ no CG can ever simulate what I say/

And I remember those nights papa prayed/ and ma said stress gon’ turn papa grey/ now you gotta go thru what ever life brings your way/ everybody gets to be a king for a day/ there’s a ring being made that you can’t throw away/ don’t be a slave on this ship stow away/ there’s no plan B if you can’t follow A/ and hunger don’t kill, you can go for a day/ cos money don’t buy respect/ them niggaZ don’t make it rain like Majek Fashek/ I bring sounds with that deaf effect/ I don’t believe in ‘em empty threats/ I’m not into it/ naah, its not the internet/ I don’t mean no disrespect/ I know that this is that/ its totally a different app/ vocally a different rap/ the rap game’s just been updated with different stats/ this nigga in another world like ancient maps/ a sick doctor I’m losing my patience fast/ I stand on the rock of ages at last/
Now i need you you to have a true evaluation of all the bolded lyrics,digest them and you would discover even jesus wouldnt av said any differnt if he were to deliver words for nigeria.did you notice the courage and desire to say the truth?now thats jesus-like.Fellas giv it up for the new jesus of nigerian music.I wish this song wins him the best lyricist on the roll as the song is thought-provoking,realistic,positively driven,content rich,well put together and revolutionary.but will they let it?( radio stations now believing in bribe/ you won’t hear this kinda talk on the evening drive/[/b])Peeps you are welcomed to drop your honst opinion,sorry for the long epistle tho.I hope it was worth it
Re: Who Is The 'JESUS' Of Nigerian Music? by Peterwizzy: 12:23am On Jan 09, 2014
Mtceeeeeeew

(1) (Reply)

IS Dbanj Gradualy Becoming Irrelevant In D Music Industry. / What Is Your Favourite P-square's Song? / Nigerian Artistes With Good Hits But Yet To Release An Album

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.