Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,781 members, 7,955,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:35 PM

Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) (3420 Views)

Nigerian Farmers Win Oil Spill Case Against Shell In Dutch Court / Women Protest Nnamdi Kanu's Arrest; Demand His Release - Vanguard / Pdp Official Paying young Voters In Bayelsa - picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by ceo4eva: 1:28am On Jan 08, 2014
YENAGOA—Hundreds of half-nude
women in Peremabiri community in
Bayelsa State, Niger Delta, yesterday,
staged a protest against non-
implementation of an existing
agreement by Shell.
The women disrupted movement of
workers into the oil platforms and
boat houses operated by Shell in the
area, alleging non-implementation of
the memorandum of understanding
Shell entered into with the
community.
The protesting women tied red cloth
to block the entrance to the oil
platform located within the
community.
They further alleged that Shell had
failed to redeem the two-year-old
promise to replace a faulty
community generator, renovate
existing community school and
provide potable water for its host
community.
Some of the women carried placards
with various inscriptions such as
“Shell: Give us Light”, “Implement
MoU or go”, “We need water, Light,
School for our children” among
others.
The protesters claimed that the oil
firm had adopted delay tactics to
avoid providing the amenities which
they said were time-bound.
Reacting to the development, the
spokesman for Shell Petroleum
Development Company, SPDC,
Precious Okolobo, urged the
aggrieved women to adopt the spelt-
out channel of addressing their
grievances.
“The SPDC has continued to work
with the Peremabiri community on
the implementation of the MoU in
their area. The MoU model has
provision for addressing grievances.”
On the broken down generator at
Peremabiri, Okolobo said SPDC
procured a new set that is being
transported to the area for installation
and commissioning.
He said the set was twice the
capacity of the bad one, and would be
commissioned as soon as possible.
“The Bayelsa State Government and
MoU Cluster Development Board are
aware of the situation and are
engaging the Community
Development Committee,” Okolobo
said.
Nigeria is one of the world’s major oil
producers, but the oil- producing
Niger Delta region remains one of the
country’s poorest and least developed
regions.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/half-naked-women-protest-shell-bayelsa/

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by JECBOSS: 2:11am On Jan 08, 2014
It's really serious! These women must have been really provoked beyond control to go half-unclad. I don't fancy the sight at all...

1 Like

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by kingthreat(m): 4:15am On Jan 08, 2014
wrong picture
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by ChiSun27(m): 6:46am On Jan 08, 2014
Things like this makes me sad at all times. For goodness sake most of this women are widows, their farmlnads are being exploited by these oil companies, their social environments are used in erecting gigantic factories and yet they are not being adequately compnesated.

This is gross wickedness. Just look at their demands...very minor compared to what Shell makes in a Calendar year and still their needs are not met.

It pains my heart that these poor women are being neglected to such length alongside the suffering of their kids (millitants in making) without husbands...haba!

Though they have gone to the extreme to showcase their grievances I still advice that the govt should rise up and support these women...they are suffering!!!

3 Likes

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by spenca: 6:49am On Jan 08, 2014
When this happens the governor better travel out it's always spiritual at least in Yoruba land
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 08, 2014
spenca: When this happens the governor better travel out it's always spiritual at least in Yoruba land

Adonbilivit! Are you for real? Wow! The black race still have a very long way to go. Smh.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by skyscraperTM(m): 8:13am On Jan 08, 2014
Too bad Nobody cares!
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by adeoladrg(m): 8:15am On Jan 08, 2014
Old women and the way they flaunt their fallen Jerichos. Too too bad. They don't look kept..smh
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by OneNaira6: 8:17am On Jan 08, 2014
Liar.
That picture is from the protest in Ekiti in 2009
http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1741.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37939764@N07/4102869446/

4 Likes

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 08, 2014
This picture is fake. It's Ekiti women protest.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Capnd143(m): 8:20am On Jan 08, 2014
Here i was thinking i was about to see some pointed tips bossoms!

1 Like

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by AlikoDangote(m): 9:22am On Jan 08, 2014
Quite Unfortunate, if shell has failed in its promise to the community what about he Local government Authority and The State Government what are they doing to help there own people. The people of the community are demanding for basic amenities that ought to be provided by the government and not by a company, I'm not saying shell should not be up and doing with its corporate social responsibilities. But the government is such a useless and iresponsive government that have failed in its basic duties to its people...

I Believe as ordinary Nigerians its high time we rise up and start a new course for This country...

I know that we can't really do much as ordinary Nigerians because the wealth of the nation is not in our hand and only power we are supposed to have as ordinary citizen which is our vote doesn't count. But there is something so powerful that we have OUR MIND AND OUR TONGUE.

ALL THE PAST AND PRESENT LEADERS THAT HAVE CONTRIBUTED IN ANY WAY WHAT SO EVER TO THE PROBLEM NIGERIA IS FACING NOW MAY GOD EXTERMINATE ALL OF THEM IN THIS 2014... Amen

Lets make this an anthem...copy and paste it as far as possible.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by spenca: 11:05am On Jan 08, 2014
emmy-richie:

Adonbilivit! Are you for real? Wow! The black race still have a very long way to go. Smh.

Oh the white have gotten there ? Yet the can't beat a typhoon ?
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by yezudo: 11:12am On Jan 08, 2014
Mtcheww. I cametu see something embarassedcry
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 08, 2014
13 comments.....more than a thousand view already..

Nairaland is full of Perverts..

2 Likes

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Bensonite: 11:14am On Jan 08, 2014
Fake pictures. from previous protest by Ekiti women
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 08, 2014
Bensonite: Fake pictures. from previous protest by Ekiti women

Am sure you didn't even read nor bothered about the story... cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Revolva(m): 11:31am On Jan 08, 2014
Ohhh our young ladies are way too lazy to stage this kind of protest all they know is but gucci bag rock the latest mobile fone , and clothes .
I want them to stage something like this half naked hahaha what are they doing allowing their momma to do this they don't know they are the leaders of tommorrow....
Hope they do make we see standing borbie n will like to be the photo journalist there lol
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by solomon111(m): 11:34am On Jan 08, 2014
ilugunboy:

That picture is from ekiti.
The credibility of this news has been put in question.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by omenka(m): 11:41am On Jan 08, 2014
ChiSun27: Things like this makes me sad at all times. For goodness sake most of this women are widows, their farmlnads are being exploited by these oil companies, their social environments are used in erecting gigantic factories and yet they are not being adequately compnesated.

This is gross wickedness. Just look at their demands...very minor compared to what Shell makes in a Calendar year and still their needs are not met.
There is no gainsaying the IOCs are partly responsible for the despoilation of their farmlands and waterways. But believe me, the biggest culprits are their sons and husbands who in a bid to make a quick buck, vandalize pipelines and 'refine' crude in those miniature refinaries scattered throughout the creeks. The oil companies know this and so does the govt, and that is why the govt can hardly flex its muscle when it comes to this issue. And what end is going half nakid intended to achieve? Make the managers of the IOCs think with their balls

1 Like

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Rawpidgin(m): 11:44am On Jan 08, 2014
SPDC is one of the worse thing that has happened to nigeria
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Rawpidgin(m): 11:46am On Jan 08, 2014
SPDC is one of the worse thing that has happened to nigeria.
funny thing is it was okay when white men were incharge, the black men @ the top are rogues
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Bensonite: 1:49pm On Jan 08, 2014
ilugunboy:

My friend don't quote me next time. You are very dull to think that another person did not read the story. Get a life.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by jpphilips(m): 2:28pm On Jan 08, 2014
JECBOSS: It's really serious! These women must have been really provoked beyond control to go half-unclad. I don't fancy the sight at all...

provoked to madness i will say, like say SPDC na government.

when its time for election, they will wear their clothes and vote nonentities like Alamaesigha, silvia , dickson, bro jo etc.
when you are suffering, you pull shirt, form party of thugs, hire FFK and el rufai to make noise for you.

s:lly people.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by jpphilips(m): 2:38pm On Jan 08, 2014
ChiSun27: Things like this makes me sad at all times. For goodness sake most of this women are widows, their farmlnads are being exploited by these oil companies, their social environments are used in erecting gigantic factories and yet they are not being adequately compnesated.

It pains my heart that these poor women are being neglected to such length alongside the suffering of their kids (millitants in making) without husbands...haba!

Though they have gone to the extreme to showcase their grievances I still advice that the govt should rise up and support these women...they are suffering!!!

Which Govt? ask yourself the kinda Govt these women voted in power, lemme guess, the ones that come to the market square to share rice?
please, if it pains your heart, send your wages to them, SPDC is not a charity organization, and it is only the Govt that has the apparatchik to coerce shell,

when they collect their bags of rice and vote nonentities like silvia, why should they be scared of living in darkness?

talking about the militants, did the militants fight for these women?

Tompolo was settled for $21m, Asari $9m and Ateke $6m, did you see any $1m dollar benit for them?

Asari even had to set up a university far away from the Niger delta yet expect his brothers at home to be employed. who is fooling who?

we are talking about the smallest local govt in Nigeria which happens to be the wealthiest yet look at what the citizens are suffering.
who else should we blame, god?

2 Likes

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by jpphilips(m): 2:50pm On Jan 08, 2014
omenka: There is no gainsaying the IOCs are partly responsible for the despoilation of their farmlands and waterways. But believe me, the biggest culprits are their sons and husbands who in a bid to make a quick buck, vandalize pipelines and 'refine' crude in those miniature refinaries scattered throughout the creeks. The oil companies know this and so does the govt, and that is why the govt can hardly flex its muscle when it comes to this issue. And what end is going half nakid intended to achieve? Make the managers of the IOCs think with their balls

Now you speak like someone who really knows what is going on, when their children formed militants, what was their targets, pls remind me? PIPELINES.
they wanted to protest environmental degradation and they blow pipelines that carry crude oil to the tune of thousands of barrel, which sane
person does that?

The Govt has agreed to settle the miscreants with huge sum of money aka Amnesty programme, how much of that money are they committing to repairs and environmental clean up, or they thought the crude will just vanish?

when they see big fires aka kpo fire where their sons steal crude from, what do they do?

better Govt, you no sabi vote, sense too you no get, but if na naked protest, you sabi.

mtcheww

dont be surprised that these old women were actually paid my militants for this who are running out of Amnesty cash

2 Likes

Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2014
Shell has done more for the ND people than the NDDC. Besides, I can't even believe they are protesting because of a damn cheap machine! Education is our biggest problem in this country.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Demdem(m): 3:23pm On Jan 08, 2014
Picture is fake but story true. It's was reported on Nigeriafm this afternoon.
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Kairoseki77: 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2014
Should they be potesting to Shell, or to Jona?

Will Jona hear their cries?
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 08, 2014
Kairoseki77: Should they be potesting to Shell, or to Jona?

Will Jona hear their cries?

Mumu, is Jona their governor or lg chairman? Don't they representatives in the national legislature? Get some sense man
Re: Half-Unclad Women Protest Against Shell in Bayelsa (PICTURE) by Kairoseki77: 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
J12:

Mumu, is Jona their governor or lg chairman? Don't they representatives in the national legislature? Get some sense man

Very sad the way some of you reason.

Just dont expect the rest of Nigeria to have sympathy for the ND if they start complaining about lack of development after Jona leaves office.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Collateral Did Buhari Used In Obtaining 27m Loan From A Bank? / 30 Reasons Why I Will Vote For GEJ & 12 Reasons Why I Will Not Vote For Buhari / INEC Releases Presidential Election Results In 23 Lga In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.