Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education (703 Views)

10 Sign Polytechnic Education Is Better Than University Education / ASUP Set To Call Off Strike / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by emsheddy(m): 7:33am On Jan 08, 2014
Strike: ASUP accuses FG of abandoning
polytechnic education on january 08, 2014 at 4:00 am in news As strike enters seventh month—Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics,
ASUP, has alleged abandonment by the Federal
Government as the strike declared by lecturers in
the sub-sector enters its seventh month.
ASUP had gone on strike April 17, 2013, to press
home demands for government’s proper funding of polytechnic education as well as address the
disparity between the polytechnics and university
graduates in the country. ASUP president laments
Speaking in an exclusive interview with Vanguard,
National President of ASUP, Mr. Chibuzor
Asomugha, lamented that the government was
killing polytechnic education in Nigeria as several
meetings held with government to ensure re- opening of polytechnics yielded no fruits. Asomugha argued that the lack of interest by
government to implement its promises for
polytechnics to be re-opened was a deliberate ploy
to deny students of Polytechnics access to
education.
Expressing concern that efforts to draw the attention of the Nigerian public might be given
political colouration and union leaders branded as
working for opposition political parties against the
government, Asomugha appealed to all relevant
stakeholders to intervene on behalf of the poor
students who might not have somebody in government to speak for them. Lack of interest from FG
On why government has not shown interest in the
lingering strike, the ASUP boss appealed to relevant
stakeholders to prevail on the government, Minister
of Education, Permanent Secretary and Minister of
Labour to do the needful. He said: “I am not going to be talking for
government, we have been in this, they have given
us promises, they have not been fulfilling them. “The promises were simple things, we even had the
understanding where they promised to implement
within one week and it is more than four months
now, everybody should reach government and let
them tell Nigerians what are the problems. I cannot
be speaking for government, what I know is that government is not doing any thing. “We met them yesterday (Monday), the same
promises and I don’t know why they find it difficult
to fulfil the promises. Okay tell me yourself, what is
the problem in releasing the White Paper that is
ready? It is the government that should tells us that.
The SGF should tell us why he is withholding the White Paper.” Way out of logjam
On the way out of the long strike, he said: “The way
out is that we are still on strike until the members
tell us whatever they decide with the strike.
“Government has been giving assurances in the
past six months, the assurance of government does not amount to anything, that is why ASUU
insisted on things concrete and people didn’t
understand it. “We agreed with government that they were going
to take up four things out of the 13 that we had
listed. Government has been able to meet one and
half of those issues that we had listed. Even the
NEEDS Assessment government constituted
Committee is not working at the pace it should work, we are supposed to submit the report in
February, up till now, we have not done much. Waiting on government’s White Paper
“Government said it was going to release the White
Paper on the visitation to Federal Polytechnics, they
were going to complete the lower cader of CONTISS
16 which was the thing that happened in 2009 and
up till now, it hadn’t been implemented and then, that they were going to complete the appointment
of six Governing Councils of six Federal
Polytechnics which they have done. “To constitute the NEEDS Assessment Committee to
do the NEEDS assessments of the Polytechnics,
which they have constituted and the Committee is
more or less not working the way it should work.
These are the four issues that we extracted out of
the 13. “There is a director in the Ministry of Education who
is the Chairman of the Committee but the problem is
that the Committee complains all the time of lack of
funding from TETFund which is supposed to fund
it.”
SOURCE- www.vanguardngr.com
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by eagleae7(m): 7:36am On Jan 08, 2014
This is nt gud
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by Ayima: 7:40am On Jan 08, 2014
Educational sector is in the state of quagmire and doldrums.
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by emsheddy(m): 8:03am On Jan 08, 2014
its apalling that FG can ignore ASUP the way they are doing. If polytechnic education means nothing in Naija, then it should be scrapped off..
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by nsk1stson: 8:07am On Jan 08, 2014
na true dem talk,since 7months n d govt had not make any concrete attempt to end d strike
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by nsk1stson: 8:10am On Jan 08, 2014
they are saying d trut nah,since 7months n d govt had not make any concrete attempt to end d strike
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by emsheddy(m): 8:19am On Jan 08, 2014
nsk 1st son: they are saying d trut nah,since 7months n d govt had not make any concrete attempt to end d strike
my broda, even here on nairaland, no topic about ASUP made front page.
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by Ayima: 8:38am On Jan 08, 2014
Am not in polytechnic but university,i feel d pains you guys will be going through.Education in Nigeria makes me always feel bad anytime my mind goes there.Please you guys should pray so that God will help you as He helped us.
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by emsheddy(m): 8:44am On Jan 08, 2014
Ayima: Am not in polytechnic but university,i feel d pains you guys will be going through.Education in Nigeria makes me always feel bad anytime my mind goes there.Please you guys should pray so that God will help you as He helped us.
my broda, God bless u. Not many UNi students would even bother to comment...
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by Sheenor: 9:34am On Jan 08, 2014
heard asup had meeting yestaday in kadpoly......waiting to see if there will be a +ve outcome from the meeting..
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by emsheddy(m): 9:42am On Jan 08, 2014
Sheenor: heard asup had meeting yestaday in kadpoly......waiting to see if there will be a +ve outcome from the meeting..
one of the meetings already ended in a deadlock. One wonders why a common ground cant be reached up till now.
Re: Asup Accuses Fg Of Abandoning Polytechnic Education by nsk1stson: 3:19pm On Jan 09, 2014
everybody including NL wants yo relegate poly to d bak yard,all i do now is to 2go,facebook n nairaland,m so so tired of dis rubbish.

(1) (Reply)

Mouau Post-utme 2014 / Auchipoly POSTUTME FORM IS OUT FOR 2014 / c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.