Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,175 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) (23260 Views)

Share/Tsaragi clash: 4 feared killed,30 injured,50 houses burnt / Boko Haram: Many Feared Killed, Houses Burnt Down In Yobe / Boko Haram: 37 People Killed, 400 Houses Burnt In Borno Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 2:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
Tragedy struck on Apapa Expressway, Lagos, Nigeria on late Tuesday Night when a petrol tanker fully loaded somersaulted and exploded burning 15 people, bank, houses and vehicles.
The tanker, said to be carrying 33,000 litres of fuel lost its brake and somersaulted and then exploded, with 15 people immediately roasted and a Zenith Bank closed to the scene burnt while three houses were also affected.
About 10 vehicles were reportedly burnt to ashes while the tanker conveying the fuel was completely razed.
The gruesome incident occurred around Berger Suya on the Apapa Expressway around 10.30 pm on Tuesday, while it took fire service officers over two hours to put out the inferno, not after it has wreck havoc.
It took the combined effort of the federal and state fire service officers to put out the fire around 1.04 am, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, Spokesperson, National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA.
“It involves a petrol tanker which later spread to four houses and four commercial buses all burnt. The disaster occurred at Cement bus stop, along Mile 2-Apapa Expressway. The petrol tanker was laden with 33,000 litres of PMS, somersaulted and caught fire, claimed lives with vehicles and buildings.
“The deceased have been deposited at the General Hospital, Yaba while those wounded have been treated and discharged. 54 shops situated in the four buildings were completely burnt,” he said, saying that nine people died in the tragedy.
An emergency officer said 10 vehicles, a bank and other buildings were consumed by the fire, saying that five people died in the tragedy.
But General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu confirmed that 15 people died in the disaster as the tanker was fully loaded with fuel before it somersaulted on the expressway.
Properties worth billions of naira have been destroyed in the fire. Witnesses said the petrol tanker lost its brake and somersaulted, exploded and burst into flames.

3 Likes

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
According to Oke-Osanyintolu, LASEMA and the fire services took control of the incidence site, saying that “We are still at the scene enumerating and assessment is still on for a comprehensive detail.”

SOURCE:

http://www.africanexaminer.com/15-people-roasted-bank-houses-burnt-as-petrol-tanker-explodes/

RIP TO THE DEAD

VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTejsbRBsnw
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2014
Pics..

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Chamackh(m): 3:47pm On Jan 08, 2014
The fire was too much, while at work in my office last night. It started some minute past 10 at night. And would have affected car dealers at berger so much , I want to commend the fire service or julius berger that assisted to extinguish the fire, it would have been worse than that cos it was too much.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 3:53pm On Jan 08, 2014
Chamackh: The fire was too much, while at work in my office last night. It started some minute past 10 at night. And would have affected car dealers at berger so much , I want to commend the fire service or julius berger that assisted to extinguish the fire, it would have been worse than that cos it was too much.
I can imagine..It took quite a long time to extinguish the angry flames..

Thank God it wasn't so severe...Some cases recorded huge loses but thank God this wasn't that serious..

Riptothedead#

1 Like

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Chamackh(m): 4:01pm On Jan 08, 2014
Elli-dude:
I can imagine..It took quite a long time to extinguish the angry flames..

Thank God it was so severe...Some cases recorded huge loses but thank God this wasn't that serious..

Riptothedead#
I never knew they could extinguish it last night, I really thank God for that. The flame was so much last night.
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
Tragic
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by DrOBD(m): 4:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
May the soul of the departed RIP

3 Likes

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 4:42pm On Jan 08, 2014
Dr_OBD: May the soul of the departed RIP
An amen to that
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by johnstar(m): 4:56pm On Jan 08, 2014
cry
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Tuntheycr7: 7:49pm On Jan 08, 2014
Nawa o shocked

May we not be a victim of any evil records this new year n d years beyond IJN....

8 Likes

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by HeavenllyRace: 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2014
Tuntheycr7: Nawa o shocked

May we not be a victim of any evil records this new year n d years beyond IJN....

amen o o o o o o

1 Like

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2014
HeavenllyRace: amen o o o o o o
grin
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
usman7032: THE NIGERIAN ARMY RECRUITMENT FORMS ARE OUT CONTACT US TODAY...... Join the Nigerian Army... For the next [71 RRI - NA] IS THERE ANY ONE THAT IS INTERESTED IN JOINING THE NIGERIAN ARMY.... AND IF YOU KNOW YOU GOT A LOT OF PASSION FOR THE JOB, THEN YOU ARE HIGHLY WELCOME. NB- ONLY THROUGH RECRUITMENT.... For any information and enquiry contact - Alli

Email:NIGERIANARMY@MAIL.COM

NB - ONLY GUYS THAT HAS PASSION FOR THE JOB.... THANK YOU.
I think you opened your account today for this reason alone..Quit derailing this topic..
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Horus(m): 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2014

[size=15pt]UPDATE: Fuel Tanker Explodes, Many Feared Dead, Scores Injured[/size]

1 Like

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by geeez: 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2014
RIP to the dead

I sympathize with those who lost loved ones and property

Kudos to the Lagos State Emergency Services

Great job

4 Likes

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2014
Horus:

[size=15pt]UPDATE: Fuel Tanker Explodes, Many Feared Dead, Scores Injured[/size]
Thanks for the link

1 Like

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Horus(m): 3:14am On Jan 09, 2014
Why so many incidents with tankers?
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 5:37am On Jan 09, 2014
Horus: Why so many incidents with tankers?
I can't really tell..Maybe its carelessness..
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by sammyyoung2(m): 6:31am On Jan 09, 2014
Its well
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Ellidude(m): 6:36am On Jan 09, 2014
sammy.young:
Its well
*Smiles*
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 09, 2014
I really think the Julius Berger Fire Fighters Team should organise training programs for our Fed and State Fire Men... I learnt from some friends that but for JB's quick response, the destruction would have very well been 10 times what is was...No Jokes.
Again, Govt agencies must conduct physical inspections on all these articulated vehicles, be them tankers, container-loaders, lorries or Trucks, not just issuing them with certicicates without inspection.
The PPMC team too should set up an inspection team that must carry out physical and integrity inspections on the tankers before they are loaded.
OP the bank is Sterling and not Zenith, plz correct ur report.
RIP to the dead and May God help those who have lost properties to find succur.

5 Likes

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by adconline(m): 10:59am On Jan 09, 2014
Incompetent Lagos State Fire Service came later with their usual excuse " no water". Julius Berger fire fighters and Capital Oil Fleet were used to put out the fire.
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 09, 2014
geeez: RIP to the dead

I sympathize with those who lost loved ones and property

Kudos to the Lagos State Emergency Services

Great job
Yeah I thank them too for at least coming around the next day... But the REAL HEROES there are the Julius Berger guys with immense support from Fire Fighters from Capital Oil...
Calls put through to the emmergency 767 numbers returned many questions asking for confirmation... And the FESTAC fire service that came were looking for where to get water...
Govt(State and Fed) must engage the services of those that Trained the JB fire guys to teach our guys how fire is fought in quick response with adequate equipments.
Residents in nearby buildings have even started evacuating their properties thinking the fire would rage till the next day and spread, but thank God and Kudos to the JB and CApital oil fire fighters, they well prevented that.
RIP to the dead.
Mods please move this to front page, let's get meaningful contributions, maybe people or our state and Fed Govts might learn a thing or two..

6 Likes

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Soreza(m): 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2014
R .i.p
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2014
why today.go mike they cannot stop you

Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by oyedun82(m): 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2014
Jesus! ! !
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by OCTAVO: 5:00pm On Jan 09, 2014
Eyaaaah cry
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by Lilimax(f): 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2014
hmm...
We are just nine days into the new year;
Just too early for all these news sad
God will protect us all.

RIP to the dead.
Re: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO) by ednut1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2014
enuf of bad news abeg. dis country sucks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Nominates Chairman, Commissioners For NCC / PDP Reps Give Buhari Quit Notice / Nigeria Was Blessed To Have Your Leadership - Jonathan Remembers Yaradua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.