Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,541 members, 7,955,010 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:24 PM

Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria (2250 Views)

Ex-Governor Kwankwaso And Governor Ganduje In The 1970's / Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Chibok: Girls Who Escaped From Boko Haram Arrive In The US To Finish School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by ceah(m): 7:12pm On Jan 09, 2014
Today in history: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escape from Nigeria as the Biafran Army Surrender to The Nigerian Army. It's an historical day for the Igbos as well as all Nigerian. How significant is today to you on your side of the divide ? How has today shaped Nigerian History ?
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by mancanoe: 7:19pm On Jan 09, 2014
Meaning what?
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2014
On this day we learnt that war is not the way to go and fighting and killing your own brothers is really silly. We should learnt to approach issues in ways that are devoid of violence or bigotry,

3 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by ceah(m): 7:23pm On Jan 09, 2014
mancanoe: Meaning what?
How significant is today to you on your side of the divide ? How has today shaped Nigerian History ?
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 09, 2014
Today is as good a time as any to remember Ojukwu and the role he's played in Igbo history, but to us 30th of May is way more significant. But thanks OP.

1 Like

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by IgboDelta: 7:35pm On Jan 09, 2014
SOMETIMES THIS YEAR WE WOULD ALSO REMEMBER WHEN AWOLOWO WHO IS A NATIONAL BIGOT WAS SET FREE FROM PRISON BY GENERAL OJUKWU IN ORDER TO MAKE THE YORUBAS FEEL NEEDED. ALSO THIS YEAR WE WOULD ALSO REMEMBER WHEN AWOLOWO COMMITTED SUICIDE BY DRINKING RAT POISON AND DIED AFTER BECOMING AFRICA'S FIRST SERIAL ELECTION LOSER DUE TO HIS RABID HATRED AND BIGOTRY

4 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 09, 2014
Igbo Delta: SOMETIMES THIS YEAR WE WOULD ALSO REMEMBER WHEN AWOLOWO WHO IS A NATIONAL BIGOT WAS SET FREE FROM PRISON BY GENERAL OJUKWU IN ORDER TO MAKE THE YORUBAS FEEL NEEDED. ALSO THIS YEAR WE WOULD ALSO REMEMBER WHEN AWOLOWO COMMITTED SUICIDE BY DRINKING RAT POISON AND DIED AFTER BECOMING AFRICA'S FIRST SERIAL ELECTION LOSER DUE TO HIS RABID HATRED AND BIGOTRY
@bolded.

can you pls provide a source to the bogus claim?

@topic

the man abandoned his selfish struggle for power and fled to abidjan dressed like a prostitute. He came back years after, after he was pardoned, to re-claim his properties while the fathers and grandfathers of many igbo nairalanders who fought in the heat of the war remained poor after loosing 3million of their people, but awolowo was generous by giving them £20 to prevent them from dying grin. The ojukwu coward later went ahead to contest for the presidency in the country he swore never to have anything to do with.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by IgboDelta: 8:00pm On Jan 09, 2014
Segeggs: @bolded.

@topic

the man abandoned his selfish struggle for power and fled to abidjan dressed like a prostitute. He came back years after, after he was pardoned, to re-claim his properties while the fathers and grandfathers of many igbo nairalanders who fought in the heat of the war remained poor after loosing 3million of their people, but awolowo was generous by giving them £20 to prevent them from dying grin. The ojukwu coward later went ahead to contest for the presidency in the country he swore never to have anything to do with.

MY CLAIMS ARE TRUTH, AWOLOWO DIED A SHAMEFUL DEATH BECAUSE OF HIS BIGOTRY

1 Like

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by donphilopus: 8:00pm On Jan 09, 2014
Igbo Delta: SOMETIMES THIS YEAR WE WOULD ALSO REMEMBER WHEN AWOLOWO WHO IS A NATIONAL BIGOT WAS SET FREE FROM PRISON BY GENERAL OJUKWU IN ORDER TO MAKE THE YORUBAS FEEL NEEDED. ALSO THIS YEAR WE WOULD ALSO REMEMBER WHEN AWOLOWO COMMITTED SUICIDE BY DRINKING RAT POISON AND DIED AFTER BECOMING AFRICA'S FIRST SERIAL ELECTION LOSER DUE TO HIS RABID HATRED AND BIGOTRY

Did you read what the OP wrote, before spewing the above sheet?
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 09, 2014
Igbo Delta:

source or it didnt happen tongue
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by 500GP: 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2014
WHO IS OJUKWU? WHAT WAS HIS IMPACT POSITIVELY IN NIGERIA? WHAT WAS HIS LEGACY? IS THERE ANY REMEMBRANCE DAY FOR HIM IN NIGERIA?

OJUKWU THE COWARD MAN!!!!
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by MayorofLagos(m): 8:57pm On Jan 09, 2014
I have the record of this escape somewhere. Give me time to search through my archives and bring to you. grin
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by MayorofLagos(m): 9:02pm On Jan 09, 2014

Its a political honor to be imprisoned for fighting a struggle to uphold the dignity and liberty of your people. MLK, GHANDI, MANDELA, MALCOM, AWOLOWO. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:06pm On Jan 09, 2014
Descendants of rat poison drinkers, free tea drinkers and crying generals making noise.
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by MayorofLagos(m): 9:08pm On Jan 09, 2014
Daily Observer from 1970. It says it all! cheesy

May his soul rest in peace.

3 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos: I have the record of this escape somewhere. Give me time to search through my archives and bring to you. grin

Don't worry yourself, let me help. He was dressed in skirt and blouse after a heavy make-up and ran like bytch to Ivory coast. The buffon died of aggravated scolosis and Hiv/Aids sha.

1 Like

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 09, 2014
Segeggs: @bolded.

@topic

I second that my brother....don't mind the biafrans,they don't know what Ojukwu has caused for their entire race....smh

2 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 09, 2014
No, no, no! Op, what do you mean by "col ojukwu escaped from Nigeria"? Are you trying to say he is a coward? Don't you know he is our son? grin
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by geeez: 9:24pm On Jan 09, 2014
Alfa Seltzer: Descendants of rat poison drinkers, free tea drinkers and crying generals making noise.

Just like they forge certificates they've cooked lies around the death of a man who lived to good old age

Today, we remember not just a great act of cowardice but remember the makeup artiste as well

3 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by ceah(m): 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2014
Can you guys focus on the Topic ?
This is not a Thread for Awolowo or Buhari
When the time comes i will start thread on Awolowo or Buhari...
Right now Focus on Today's warrior - Col Ojukwu

How significant is today to you on your side of the divide ? How has today shaped Nigerian History ?
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Olaolufred(m): 11:50pm On Jan 09, 2014
Igbo Delta:

He actually did not say your claims are lies.
He only demanded that you prove that they are truth.
Documents are required. Hospital report showing it was rat poison or poison.
Nothing more or less.

Please, do not go for the usual "my uncle told me" thing OK?

2 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by ROYALD(m): 12:20am On Jan 10, 2014
awo rat killer
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by T9ksy(m): 12:58am On Jan 10, 2014
Olaolufred:

He actually did not say your claims are lies.
He only demanded that you prove that they are truth.
Documents are required. Hospital report showing it was rat poison or poison.
Nothing more or less.

Please, do not go for the usual "my uncle told me" thing OK?

Ol' boy, you are expecting too much from this genetically coded dishonest being o.

Of course, his source is what his vanquished and shell-shocked uncle told him about awo, who with his brains put paid to their dumb

hegemonic ambition.

1 Like

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:48am On Jan 10, 2014
FP
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:53am On Jan 10, 2014
mancanoe: Meaning what?

It means COWARD
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by IGBOSON1: 3:28am On Jan 10, 2014
OYINBOGOJU:

It means COWARD

^^^I don't think YOU are in any position to accuse any Igbo of cowardice!; use your tongue to count what's left of your rotting teeth (my take on an Igbo saying) and you'll understand what i mean!

Ojukwu handed over to his second in command after a decision had been made to surrender. Did you expect him to hang around and be handed over -gift wrapped- to the Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba federal side whom i imagine would have been itching to get their blood soaked hands on his neck? I'm happy he didn't give them the satisfaction of capturing him at the time b'cos the evil those 'loving fellow countrymen' were capable of would make even Hitler red-faced with shame! Ikemba did the right thing!

@OP: I still don't get your reason for starting this thread; unless of course you're a closet bigot and Igbo hater!

1 Like

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 6:22am On Jan 10, 2014
kolawaxxy: No, no, no! Op, what do you mean by "col ojukwu escaped from Nigeria"? Are you trying to say he is a coward? Don't you know he is our son? grin
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 6:26am On Jan 10, 2014
Damn it! He ran like hell.
Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by kettykin: 6:44am On Jan 10, 2014
Ojukwu the rebel leader escaped alive from the siege of the nigerian army, why they could not capture him alive remains the biggest surprise a similar rebellion in Libya had gadfly begging for his life on his knees, some of the other players who tried to dream about rebellion in Nigeria were captured before they attempted to carry out their rebellion chief amongst them MKO Abiola who despite the backing of the world after winning the best organised election in Nigeria was captured alive while claiming his mandate and later murdered. Other people in this category who can only dream of rebellion like Awolowo, Diya, Obasanjo, olanrewaju, Adisa, were in their planning stages before the nigerian army finished their ambitious project.

Awolowo twice dreamt of rebellion and was caught in the planning stages and paid disgracefully for it.

3 Likes

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by Nobody: 6:49am On Jan 10, 2014
We thank God Ojukwu avoided capture.
He is a father figure to Ndi Igbo.

After the war ended Igbos started to rebuild their lives and where glad they survived and that their suffering had ended. The Igbos were delighted when they learnt that Ojukwu had given Nigerian troops the slip.

1 Like

Re: Today In History: 9th Jan 1970 Col Ojukwu Escaped From Nigeria by kettykin: 6:50am On Jan 10, 2014
OYINBOGOJU:

It means COWARD

If Ojukwu is called a coward what will you call the real cowards who spent time planning coups but never had the temerity to carry it out but instead were caught in the act of coup planning.
The generals who cried on their knees before an army major something that even movie makers dared not to put on screen

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prophecy On Popes Kidnap By T.B. Joshua / Ogbeni Rauf Has Done It Again - Osun Last On Federal Allocation But First In.... / European MP Accuses APC Of Funding Boko Haram, Calls For Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.