Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta (2044 Views)

I Will Rather Die In Jail Than For Ohaneze Ndigbo To Claim Credit... Nnamdi Kanu / Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? / Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 6:44am On Aug 12, 2008
[size=16pt]Ohanaeze, others seek 50% derivation for Niger Delta[/size]
From Lawrence Njoku (Enugu), Kelvin Ebiri, Port Harcourt And Mohammed Abubakar

NIGERIA leaders and groups yesterday continued the search for lasting solutions to the Niger Delta crisis.

At separate fora, Ohanaeze Ndigbo and eminent leaders from the region called for a return to the 50 per cent derivation principle, withdrawal of the military from the region, dialogue and amnesty for the militants.

The chairman of the Niger Delta Peace and Conflict Resolution Committee, Senator David Brigidi and a former super permanent secretary as well as former Presidential Economic Adviser, Chief Philip Asiodu, opposed the military action in the region and demanded for meaningful dialogue with the armed groups.

Also yesterday, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) yesterday claimed that it had been offered N2.32 billion ($20 million) ransom by the Federal Government to drop its ultimatum to Julius Berger (Nig) Plc to quit the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

MEND claimed that the government made the offer through its chief negotiator, the secretary to the Federal Government.

Although the body did not mention the name of the top government official, even then the office named by MEND does not exist, as there is only the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, which is occupied by Alhaji Baba Gana Kingibe.

When contacted, a senior government official told The Guardian yesterday that it was not true that such money had been offered to MEND.

Also at the weekend, the Igbo group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, reviewed the Niger Delta crisis and concluded that the plight of the people would be ameliorated by a return to 50 per cent derivation principle.

Ohanaeze observed that such concession would not be too much a sacrifice for an area that produces the major resources for the country's development.

The body said that the area had suffered immeasurably from the failure of true federalism in the nation and from inequitable revenue allocation formula.

Rising from its meeting in Enugu, Ohanaeze expressed solidarity with the Niger Delta over the recently concluded constitution review retreat, stressing that, the success of the event could re-write the history.

It reaffirmed support for the on-going consultations for the review of the 1999 Constitution, saying it would be an opportunity for the nation to return to the vision of its founding fathers.

That vision, according to the Igbo leaders was based on the principle of true federalism in which each region was in control of its resources and its internal affairs. They said that the new constitution must create opportunity for the people to determine the rules, which regulate their union.

Chairman, Ohanaeze Research and Publications Directorate, Prof. Ben Obumselu, in a statement he signed after the meeting, also deplored the state of the economy, saying that the hopes that were raised at the beginning of the present administration were fast turning to anxiety.

The group said the nation "has everything it takes to move forward", if its leaders were devoted to the common purpose.

The body also drew attention of the Federal Government to the continued neglect of the South-East zone in federal appointments, allocation of resources as well as provision of common services.

It asserted that no action had been taken to implement the resolution of the 2005 National Reform Conference to create another state in the zone.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Niger Delta Peace and Conflict Resolution Committee, Senator David Brigidi and Chief Philip C. Asiodu have called for the demilitarisation of the region to pave way for the resolution of the conflict in the area.

But the Action Congress (AC) in Rivers State has lauded Governor Chibuike Amaechi for concluding arrangement to engage the services of additional 1,000 soldiers to beef up security in the state.

Brigidi at the weekend in Port Harcourt urged the National and State Assemblies to pass a resolution calling on all militants to lay down their arms and for the demilitarisation of the region.

Asiodu said rather than demonise all militants and their leaders in the Niger Delta, the Federal Government should engage them in dialogue in good faith to stem the unrest region.

The Action Congress (AC) Publicity Secretary, Mr. Eze Chukwuemeka Eze, described Amaechi's decision as a commendable step considering the precarious security situation in the state.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/11/37.html
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 6:46am On Aug 12, 2008
Why should the ibos demand amnesty for Niger Delta militants that has shown hell to innocent and unsuspecting citizens especially non ibos and ijaws that live or visit their area? What is going on here?
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by magentam(f): 7:05am On Aug 12, 2008
@ DeepZone

ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR. For the non-Ibos and Ijaws that have been puns in the fight, it is very sad. But what Ohanaeze is doing is not bad at all. They are fighting the good fight for the Niger Deltans.

Have you ever been to the oil producing regions to see how desolated it looks. Well, I can boldly tell you to go take a look at those areas and you will know why the people are fighting. The rivers and farm lands are being polluted. No good drinking water or educational structures for the children from those regions.Yet the nation's wealth comes from these rivers of black gold.

If Ohanaeze speaks on behalf of the people, then it is a good step towards ameliorating the conflicts in the Niger Delta.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 7:21am On Aug 12, 2008
@ DeepZone

ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR. For the non-Ibos and Ijaws that have been puns in the fight, it is very sad. But what Ohanaeze is doing is not bad at all. They are fighting the good fight for the Niger Deltans.

Have you ever been to the oil producing regions to see how desolated it looks. Well, I can boldly tell you to go take a look at those areas and you will know why the people are fighting. The rivers and farm lands are being polluted. No good drinking water or educational structures for the children from those regions.Yet the nation's wealth comes from these rivers of black gold.

If Ohanaeze speaks on behalf of the people, then it is a good step towards ameliorating the conflicts in the Niger Delta.
I'm not against what they are saying but why should they demand for amnesty on the militants that has wrecked havoc to innocent Nigerians? Will the ohaneze do the same if it were the middle beltans that are the militants? I sense tribalism here.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 7:30am On Aug 12, 2008
magentam:

The stories about the 'oil producing areas are all polluted' is nothing more than a myth. yes, there are areas that are polluted, but there are many, many more where people in the environs go about their daily business.

If you need a good, unbiased opinion, look no further than the HOD of political science Dept in a university in Bayelsa (forgotten which one). He stated that while the Oil Coys are not doing 100%, they are actually trying far more than the local Governments in the ND. And he just happens to be an Ijaw man.

When the people stubbornly refuse to take their Local and State Governments to task over development, then you wonder what they are fighting for. You mentioned drinking water and educational structures. What then is the function of a Local Govt if it cannot build schools or sink boreholes?

But we Nigerians have allowed ourselves into thinking that it is the role of tax paying multinationals to build all schools and roads. That's why the elected leaders in the area can embezzle with impunity.

Millitants have brought violence to the region. let those who sow the wind reap the whirlwind. There must be no amnesty for millitants. 50% derivation, i support completely.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 8:45am On Aug 12, 2008

Millitants have brought violence to the region. let those who sow the wind reap the whirlwind. There must be no amnesty for millitants. 50% derivation, i support completely.

Yep!!!!!
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by Ibime(m): 9:21am On Aug 12, 2008
@ all my Ibo brothers, the drinks are on me.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by ow11(m): 11:31am On Aug 12, 2008
50% derivation!!

Won't Amaechi, Sylva, Uduaghan and Akpabio gobble the cash up?
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by naijaking1: 1:43pm On Aug 12, 2008
Despite all the atrocities committed against the Igbos by the Niger-Deltans during and after the civil war, despite the "abandoned properties" in PH, despite deliberate sabotage of the their Igbo cousins, and despite continued demonization of the Igbos by some in ND today; it's always true that you can't always tell your friends when you're having a good time. Your friends, and relatives are for good times and bad times too.
Ohaneze knows that despite these ill-feelings, the long term goal of Igbos and their ND cousins are mutually assured based on proximity, culture, and religion.
I still remember some ND leaders who rose to power proclaiming the Igbos more distant than other Nigerians from Kano and Sokoto states.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by Truequest(m): 2:30pm On Aug 12, 2008
naijaking1:

Despite all the atrocities committed against the Igbos by the Niger-Deltans during and after the civil war, despite the "abandoned properties" in PH, despite deliberate sabotage of the their Igbo cousins, and despite continued demonization of the Igbos by some in ND today; it's always true that you can't always tell your friends when you're having a good time. Your friends, and relatives are for good times and bad times too.
Ohaneze knows that despite these ill-feelings, the long term goal of Igbos and their ND cousins are mutually assured based on proximity, culture, and religion.
I still remember some ND leaders who rose to power proclaiming the Igbos more distant than other Nigerians from Kano and Sokoto states.

One person must take the initiative and as expected the elder should and that is what Ohaneze has done. You can't separate yourself from you.
On the militants yes what they are doing might not be the best but are we going to continue like this? I think there should be an end and one of the ways is thru dialogue and assuring the militants that they have been forgiven. I think that will be a way forward.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by grafikdon: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2008
80% should be in order. . .
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by presido1: 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2008
texazzpete:

Yet you are condemning Russia for Invading Georgia but you want Nigerian forces to invade ND,if not why are you not in support of Amnesty
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by c33b33(m): 4:04pm On Aug 12, 2008
Instead of them to pressure the federal government to look into the problems of the south-east,they're agitating for 50%[though its good].How many times has the Ijaw Elders Forum ask the F.G to look into d problems of d south-east?The current government is only getting the heat of what the military government+OBJ aided by some greedy niger deltans left on fire!
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 4:11pm On Aug 12, 2008
Instead of them to pressure the federal government to look into the problems of the south-east,they're agitating for 50%[though its good].How many times has the Ijaw Elders Forum ask the F.G to look into d problems of d south-east?The current government is only getting the heat of what the military government+OBJ aided by some greedy niger deltans left on fire!

Won't imo and abia states benefit from the 50% being an oil producing states?
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by agaba123(m): 4:13pm On Aug 12, 2008
I wish Ohaneze is a credible organisation. I would have commended them for making this statement. However they are a bunch of sellouts who follow the highest bidder. A group guys who cannot put their house in order, who can take them serious?

Was it not the same group that its one time chirman supported third term? A collection of greedy individuals who prefer individual wealth to progress and unity. The Igbos will one day have a voice.

Free the ND, give them oil money and let every region cater for themselves.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by deor03(m): 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2008
presido1:

Yet you are condemning Russia for Invading Georgia but you want Nigerian forces to invade ND,if not why are you not in support of Amnesty

No basis for comparison sir
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by c33b33(m): 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2008
@Deepzone
If u had read what is in d bracket after 50%,you'll know i thought about Abia & Imo b4 posting.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by lucabrasi(m): 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2008
agaba123:

I wish Ohaneze is a credible organisation. I would have commended them for making this statement. However they are a bunch of sellouts who follow the highest bidder. A group guys who cannot put their house in order, who can take them serious?

Was it not the same group that its one time chirman supported third term? A collection of greedy individuals who prefer individual wealth to progress and unity. The Igbos will one day have a voice.

exactly,plus it seems to me like sucking up to the niger delta and maybe looking to sweeten them on the long run into joining biafra,
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by agaba123(m): 5:06pm On Aug 12, 2008
lucabrasi:

exactly,plus it seems to me like sucking up to the niger delta and maybe looking to sweeten them on the long run into joining biafra,
I am not even sure they have that kinda strategy. People blinded by greed
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by lucabrasi(m): 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2008
agaba123:

I am not even sure they have that kind of strategy. People blinded by greed
dont be too suprised,nigerian politicians are getting to be strategists these days especially when talking of secession,you dont want to make some of the mistakes ojukwu did during the war,plus ou need a bargaining chip too,
i dont see why using panadol for another person's headache especially now that it seems that things are not going their way,the niger delta has not asked them for help
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by Ibime(m): 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2008
lucabrasi:

i don't see why using panadol for another person's headache especially now that it seems that things are not going their way,the niger delta has not asked them for help

You will soon see that it is not another man's headache. It is every Southern Nigerian's headache. Niger-Delta is the first situation where different tribes have come together to fight a common enemy. Let us not forget that this Niger-Delta we are talking about is made up of Ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, Isoko, Ogoni, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Calabar etc. And Igbo's will also join when the time is right.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by agaba123(m): 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2008
lucabrasi:

don't be too suprised,nigerian politicians are getting to be strategists these days especially when talking of secession,you don't want to make some of the mistakes ojukwu did during the war,plus ou need a bargaining chip too,
i don't see why using panadol for another person's headache especially now that it seems that things are not going their way,the niger delta has not asked them for help
Well may be may be not.

But I have lost so much faith in those people. Ordinarily what they are doing is not bad cos the ND is suffering but I think they lack the it takes to make such a call and it will be heeded
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by lucabrasi(m): 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2008
Ibime:

You will soon see that it is not another man's headache. It is every Southern Nigerian's headache. Niger-Delta is the first situation where different tribes have come together to fight a common enemy. Let us not forget that this Niger-Delta we are talking about is made up of Ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, Isoko, Ogoni, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Calabar etc. And Igbo's will also join when the time is right.
no one is diputing that,what im saying is that ohaneze ndigbo as a group cannot stand on a moral pedestal to start doing mandela or moses in egypt at this stage, besides are other tribes not calling for 50% for niger delta as well?which tribe specifically apart from the northern oligarchs have disagreed with th niger delta?
agaba123:

But I have lost so much faith in those people. Ordinarily what they are doing is not bad because the ND is suffering but I think they lack the it takes to make such a call and it will be heeded
exactly,thats the point right there plus im thinking is there any ulterior selfish motives for this ?
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by agaba123(m): 5:38pm On Aug 12, 2008
lucabrasi:

no one is diputing that,what im saying is that ohaneze ndigbo as a group cannot stand on a[b] moral pedestal to [/b] start doing mandela or moses in egypt at this stage, besides are other tribes not calling for 50% for niger delta as well?which tribe specifically apart from the northern oligarchs have disagreed with th niger delta?exactly,thats the point right there plus im thinking is there any ulterior selfish motives for this ?
Is the word.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by ifyalways(f): 5:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
agaba123:

lol
I just remembered the great gathering in Owerri,2007.Those old gullible "Oh yes" politicians were bathed with pure water.I dont believe the so-called Ohaneze.They are more into it cos of what they wud gain out of it.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 6:00pm On Aug 12, 2008

You are bad mouthing them for what they did and accusing them of having an ulterior motive but here you are preaching the gospel of me ,me and only me. It's the me and only me gospel that is holding southern Nigeria down. Did you read Gadogado's analysis on the north in the other thread? They have so many tribes that watch each others back.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2008

Another arm chair critic spewing bullshit. Are you a credible Nigerian? Why are southerners always happy at pointing fingers? It's either Osoba accusing Obas or ojukuw accusing kanu or uduaghan accusing Ibori. What is the ulterior motive here apart from tribal alliance? I think most of us should think before they write. I love what they are doing apart from demanding for amnesty for those criminals, that's way off the hook. Until the southerners learn how to work together, the Northern caliphate will still be on top and rule them forever and ever. Imagine the Yorubas and Ibos come out to defend the ND, don't you think the struggle will take a new turn? You see why i pray that the oil wells in Nigeria should dry so that we can peacefully disintegrate?

Funmi fumes again.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by DeepZone: 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2008
no one is diputing that,what im saying is that ohaneze ndigbo as a group cannot stand on a moral pedestal to start doing mandela or moses in egypt at this stage, besides are other tribes not calling for 50% for niger delta as well?which tribe specifically apart from the northern oligarchs have disagreed with th niger delta?

What right have you to judge another person's morality unless you are morally sound? Is the Arewa or Afenifere filled with the righteous and mighty? Is ohaneze dingbo a body or an individual? Are you saying that each and everyone of them are so corrupt that they will release this referendum just for their own ulterior motive? Can you use your head for once and stop talking like your brain is flushed down the loo.

Again, Ebitu Ukiwe (I hope i got the spelling right) who was the vice president under IBB was the first man to say no to IBB's looting and decided to leave the military a pauper than take part in the loot just like Tam David west, both men would've been millionaires if not billionaires today if they weren't practicing self righteousness. The same Ebitu Ukiwe is an anchor man in the ohaneze dingbo you and agwomba call criminals. Do not slam on peoples morality carelessly because you have a keyboard in your bedroom because you wouldn't like it if yours was slashed.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by grafikdon: 6:23pm On Aug 12, 2008
@Deepzone, don't mind the armchair annalists, some with their masked bigotry, very funny 'Educated Southerners'. I support their (Ohaneze) stand on the issue except for the amnesty part. 50% was the deal so what the heck are we finding it difficult to implement that? What fracking gives? Oh, I see. . . it's going to bite deep into the 'lootology' budget in such a way that every thief's. . . errr. . . I mean politician's loot will be cut down by 50%. . . ahhh, now I see the big picture.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by c33b33(m): 6:28pm On Aug 12, 2008
Those Ohaneze that were pelted with pure water has been replaced o!so get ur facts right cos this current one is headed by Barr. Ben Nwabueze,Chief Ebite Ukiwe & other notable Ibo sons.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by ifyalways(f): 6:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
c33b33:

Those Ohaneze that were pelted with pure water has been replaced o!so get your facts right because this current one is headed by Barr. Ben Nwabueze,Chief Ebite Ukiwe & other notable Ibo sons.
Ok sir.
let me believe you for now,time wud tell.
Re: Ohaneze Ndigbo Demands 50% Derivation For Niger Delta by c33b33(m): 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ify
ok ma!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Greedy First Family / Babangida’s Regime Worst Violator Of Human Rights — Nba ! / £30,000 A Year Addiction To London: Nigerian Big Spenders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.