Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Desist From Raising Funds For Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Desist From Raising Funds For Obama (1014 Views)

Woman Blames Husband For Obama’s Reelection, Runs Him Over With Her Jeep / It's Time For Obama To Go: He's Useless To Liberals / Stop Raising Funds For Obama Jo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by Pataki: 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2008
A Lagos-based lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, has urged a non-governmental organisation, the Africa for Obama 08, to desist from raising fund for the United States Democratic Party presidential candidate, Mr. Barrack Obama.

The call came just as the organisers said that the fund realised from the event slated for Monday (today), would not be paid into the Obama campaign account, but used to mobilise Africans in the Diaspora to vote for the Democratic candidate.

In a statement made available to our correspondents in Lagos on Sunday, Falana insisted that the fund-raising was illegal and contrary to the US law that forbids any external funding.

He said, “ An organisation called “Africa for Obama ‘08” led by Prof. Okereke-Onyiuke was established in Nigeria to mobilise support for Obama. In the Thursday, August 7, 2008 edition of THISDAY Newspaper, the organisation invited Nigerians to a fund raising Dinner/Concert at the Shell Hall, Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos on Monday August 11, 2008.

“According to the said advertisement, tickets for the dinner/concert will be sold from amounts ranging from N275, 000 per individual to N2.5m per corporate body. The funds raised at the dinner/concert will be contributed to the Barrack Obama Campaign Fund contrary to the Electoral Law of the United States of America, which forbids any form of external financing of political campaigns.

“In view of the clear provisions of the US’ law on external funding of political campaigns, the “ Africa for Obama ’08” should be restrained from raising funds for Obama’s campaign. Otherwise, Obama is surely going to be scandalised by a powerful section of the US media controlled by the Republican Party.”

The law - Foreign Agents Registration Act - was first enacted in 1966 and incorporated into the Federal Election Commission in 1974 as, The Federal Election Campaign Act.

The FECA prohibits any foreign national from contributing, donating or spending funds in connection with any federal, state, or local election in the United States, either directly or indirectly. It is also unlawful to help foreign nationals violate that ban or to solicit, receive or accept contributions or donations from them. Persons who, knowingly and willfully, engage in these activities may be subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

But the Senior Manager, Corporate Affairs, Nigerian Stock Exchange, Mr. Sola Oni, who spoke on behalf of Onyiuke, faulted Falana’s stance, saying that the group was aware of the US law on funding of political campaigns.

He added that money realised from the dinner would also be used to sponsor Nigerians (who share the Obama dream) to the US to witness the Democratic Party’s convention.

Obama is expected to pick the ticket during the convention which comes up this month.

According to him, they are raising the fund from those who share the dream of Obama and are not forcing anybody to be part of the project. “The fund is not going into Obama’s campaign account, as American law is against it”.

He also said that the organisers were interested in Obama’s victory at the polls and intend to lobby him to make his foreign policy to favour Nigeria if he wins.

Source

Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by Pataki: 1:31pm On Aug 12, 2008
When are we going to ever redeem ourselves as Nigerians from this act of irresponsible show of stupidity?

To even imagine the ludicrous amount of money used as ticket fee for entry to the dinner is simply outrageous. I can only weep for my country. cry cry

A third world country raising funds for the campaign of another man in a developed nation is an entire JOKE.
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by idupaul: 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2008
Ndidi, Onyiuke is just a 419ner, wat a scam, why didnt set up a body called Africans against blackouts, angry angry
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by c33b33(m): 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2008
Ah JEHOVAH!what kind of a country is this?It's not even Americans in Nigeria raising money for Obama.How many times has that 'orobo' woman mobilise for fund to train Nigerian children or reduce unemployment?I weep for my country!!!
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by Pataki: 1:53pm On Aug 12, 2008
c33b33:

Ah JEHOVAH!what kind of a country is this?It's not even Americans in Nigeria raising money for Obama.How many times has that 'orobo' woman mobilise for fund to train Nigerian children or reduce unemployment?I weep for my country!!!
It is a shame that absolute corruption is been celebrated in Nigeria. Paparazzis will chase you all round if you are excellent in corrupt practices.

I am so much at a loss of words to express the shock at which I find this story to me.

Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by powderPink(f): 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2008
Pataki:

When are we going to ever redeem ourselves as Nigerians from this act of irresponsible show of stupidity?

To even imagine the ludicrous amount of money used as ticket fee for entry to the dinner is simply outrageous. I can only weep for my country. cry cry

A third world country raising funds for the campaign of another man in a developed nation is an entire JOKE.

thank you. it is so sad and a huge joke, some of us are foolish
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by dudubobo1: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2008
Such incredulity can only be found in the midst of people who dont know where their priorities should be.

Senseless fund raising
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by madamkoko: 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2008
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by dudubobo1: 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2008
madamkoko:

Why is this an issue. If you search public records, there were many Nigerians in Nigeria that donated money and fundraised for President Bush.

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/olugbenga-obasanjo.asp?cycle=04

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/mojisola-obasanjo.asp?cycle=04

http://www.city-data.com/elec/elec-GALVESTON-TX.html

does that make it right?
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by Kobojunkie: 2:01am On Aug 13, 2008
lol, "raising funds for obama" now the latest 419 strategy?? Nigerians ehn!!! na wa oOOo!!!
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by TheJoker1(m): 2:00pm On Aug 13, 2008
Na wa, i do not even know where to start. Ok, they raise funds, bla, bla, bla, Obama (my man) wins. How does it better the lot of Nigerians? How does it change the way of life called corruption in Nigeria? And these are some of the so called leaders and captains of Nigeria. If they use the bar raised to offer scholarships to intelligent poor kids the multiplier benefits would be awesome. Fact is there are so many things Ndidi and her cohorts can use their influential position to raise funds for that will etch their names in the hearts of Nigerian generations yet unborn. But corrupt, self serving crooks ego tripping on raising money for Obama. Like i said, i do not know where to start and end, cos its saddening.
Re: Desist From Raising Funds For Obama by Mustay(m): 3:03pm On Aug 13, 2008
This stopic has already been created here

Stop Raising Funds For Obama Jo!

(1) (Reply)

Spartacus Died Mandele Follows / Brics’ Move To Unseat US Dollar As Trade Currency / ''the Innocence Of Muslims'' The Movie Spreading Crisis In Middle East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.