Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,617 members, 7,955,275 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:08 PM

Movie Curses: Do You Believe? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Curses: Do You Believe? (5923 Views)

7 Myths You Believe Because Of TV And Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Sisikill: 11:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, and Samuel L. Jackson are all in a soon to be released movie called Soul Men

Bernie Mac - Died Saturday

Isaac Hayes - Died Sunday

Should Samuel L. Jackson be Worried?

I am not dooming Samuel L Jackson but there are some who believe in Movie Curse

Some examples

The Dark Knight

The stars of "The Dark Knight," the latest installment in the "Batman" franchise, may be wondering just that. Since the film has wrapped, violence and death have shadowed three of the film's stars.
First, there was Heath Ledger's untimely death, ruled an accidental overdose from prescription drugs, in January. Then, Brit Christian Bale was arrested last month amid allegations that he assaulted his mother and sister in London. And last week, Morgan Freeman was airlifted to a hospital after the car he was driving skidded off the road and flipped several times in Mississippi. Later in the week, it was announced that he and his wife of 24 years were getting divorced.

'Poltergeist' Trilogy

The 1980s' "Poltergeist" trilogy became legendary for its supposed curse, known as the Curse of Haddad, after four cast members died in the six-year span between the first and the third films.
Heather O'Rourke, the young star of all three films, died of septic shock at age 12, while her on-screen sister, Dominique Dunne, was strangled to death at 22 by her jealous boyfriend. Julian Beck, who played an evil spirit in the second film, died at 60 of stomach cancer, while Will Sampson, who played a good spirit, died after an organ transplant.

The Crow'

Star Brandon Lee's death so closely paralleled the plot of this 1994 dark comic book adaptation that it's hard not to chalk it up to a curse. Lee died on the set when he was shot with a gun that was supposed to be filled with blanks. Likewise, his character was supposed to be shot with a gun he thinks is unloaded. His character was killed the night before his wedding; Lee was supposed to marry after wrapping the movie.

'Rebel Without a Cause'

When film professor Gehring wrote a book on the movie's star James Dean, he came across all sorts of theories for why three of the film's stars, including Dean, had met untimely deaths. Dean was killed at age 24 when his Porsche Spyder, nicknamed "Little Bastard," collided nearly head-on with another car that had crossed into his lane. Natalie Wood drowned in the waters off Catalina Island at the age of 43 when she fell overboard from her yacht. And Sal Mineo, who received an Oscar nomination for his supporting role in the film, was stabbed to death at age 37 in a possible gay hate crime.

The Exorcist

Considered the scariest movie of all time, "The Exorcist" won two Acadamy Awards after it's release in 1973.  One for Best Adapted Screenplay, and the second for Best Sound.  Most people would think that the book (written by William Peter Blatty) is a made up story.  Well it's not.  A similar incident occured in New England with a 13-year-old boy; but this is not what we're discussing today.  Today, we are talking about "The Exorcist" curse. Due to the accidental deaths and fires on set, and even supposed mental breakdowns from the young Linda Blair (Regan), some would say that an actual demon was trying to stop the filming of this movie.  Some rumours state that four to nine people died during the fifteen month fiming period.  Jack McGowen had just wrapped up filming his small part for the film when he died of a heart attack.  Another rumor states that the man who Regan said would die up there was accidently killed while filming.  There were other deaths too.  One was that of Max Von Sydow's brother and Linda Blair's grandfather. A night watchman for the set, a crewmember that refrigerated the bedroom for the exorcism scenes, and a cameraman's newborn baby were also part of the unexplained deaths.

The Omen

In 1976, "The Omen" was released which was a hit.  It follows the story of an American ambassador who learns that his son is actualy the antichrist.  On the first day of filming, a crew member was in a car accident which destroyed a company car. Harvey Bernhard was driving Richard Donner to his apartment, as Donner was getting out of the car,  another came round the corner, tore the door off of the car and trapped Donner between the two.  The crew shot a scene at Windsor Safari Park including lions, that was eventually cut. The day they finished shooting with lions, a guard was killed by two of them.  A flight from LA to London with Gregory Peck on it was hit by lightning, and an engine was knocked out. Then eight hours later, a plane with the screenwriter, David Seltzer, on board was also hit by lightning.  The crew had hired a private jet, which they would use to some ground scenes. However, the charter company had become booked, and so the Omen's crew flight was canceled. It took off with business men on board. The jet crashed onto a road, crashing into another car, which crashed into another car, killing all which included the wife and child of the jet's pilot who were in the second car. Then, after "The Omen", the special effects director John Richardson, went to Holland to make "A Bridge Too Far", with his girlfriend. He was involved in a car crash, and his girlfriend was beheaded, just like David Warner was In "Damien Omen II", the curse continued.  The best friend of William Holden was stabbed while they were on holiday. Also, the entire cast came down with a rare form of influenza, even though no outbreaks had been reported.

Rosemary's Baby

Roman Polanski's controversial 1968 film - about a woman who gives birth to the devil after her husband promises it to a sect of Satanists in return of fame and fortune - is also surrounded by mysteriously coincidental, horrifying incidents. A year after Rosemary's Baby's release, Polanski's wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered by the Manson Family while she was eight months pregnant with the couple's first child. Also in 1969, producer William Castle was rushed to the hospital with kidney failure and, legend has it, he yelled out, "Rosemary, for God's sake, drop the knife!" while being admitted. Krzysztof Komeda, who scored the movie, happened to be a resident of the same hospital Castle was taken to; he later died of a blood clot, mimicking the death of Rosemary's friend Hutch from the film.

Superman

Everyone's heard about Margot Kidder's (Lois Lane) nervous breakdown, Richard Pryor's (Gus Gorman) multiple sclerosis and Christopher Reeve's (Superman) unfortunate paralyzation, but did you know George Reeves, who played Superman in a 1950s TV series, was found dead with a single gunshot wound to the head under suspicious circumstances? And then there was Bud Collyer, who voiced The New Adventures of Superman cartoon: he died after three years on the job of a circularity ailment. Here's hoping Brandon Routh, who plays the capped crusader in the new Superman Returns, has better luck.

Whether they were deaths or accidents, these supposedly cursed movies may make you think a little.  .  .doesn't it?
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Sisikill: 11:14pm On Aug 12, 2008
Yep, it's official, I'm not cut of for the hard hard work that is posting new topics. So I'm sticking to the reply business
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by HRhotness(f): 11:15pm On Aug 12, 2008
move it then wink
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Sisikill: 11:16pm On Aug 12, 2008
Sorry for the erratic behavior guys, I haven't had lunch. Yep, that's it. . . totally.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by idupaul: 11:21pm On Aug 12, 2008
man people must die, there is no curse there
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by rampant(f): 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2008
y did u take it off siskill?we r talking about celebrities here dat lost their lives to only God knows wat,so its a topic dat should be posted here on dis section
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by mohawkchic(f): 2:29am On Aug 13, 2008
~I believe its very much Plausible grin downright scary/creepy actually!! *shudders at the thought*

~I reckon some movie stars who are superstitious will be turning scripts down if this is anything to go by cheesy
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by KarmaMod(f): 2:33am On Aug 13, 2008
*hides Samuel L Jackson*

I wont be able to handle that

I just watched Pulp Fiction for the 9th time recently

DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN "WHAT"?! SAY WHAT AGAIN! grin
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by mohawkchic(f): 2:47am On Aug 13, 2008
~Lol i hear you on hiding SLJ . . grin

"I dare you . . I double dare you say "WHAT" again MF" grin
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Emad(f): 8:51am On Aug 18, 2008
whoawwwwwwwww

but i think prayers can break a curse

Sam shd go to church simple
it goes for him and for any other actor
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by dreeldee: 9:07am On Aug 18, 2008
i don't believe in it, it's all a coincidence, you should run a check of the no of movies (horror, action w/e) that have been made so far since the start of Hollywood. How many of them have resulted into the deaths of the characters due to the parts they played in it? if this was actually true, most of the old actors (even new ones) should have been dead by now because they've all taken part in these types of movies at one point in their acting career. All the same, as human we should believe in something so let him hold on to whatever he believes in.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Raymond88(m): 10:02am On Aug 18, 2008
Bullshit, people live people die but when it's a Hollywood star people find something to say just to sell papers.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by shilling(f): 10:32am On Aug 18, 2008
Whoa, this is scary stuff. I believe it all. Samuel J should find the most powerful church near him.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Raymond88(m): 10:59am On Aug 18, 2008
shilling:

Whoa, this is scary stuff. I believe it all. Samuel J should find the most powerful church near him.
I bet you also believe in Father Christmas.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by timbabng(m): 11:05am On Aug 18, 2008
. . . and tooth fairy!!!  LOL grin
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by kadman(m): 11:28am On Aug 18, 2008
Really good work Sisiskill.
I noticed the Soul Men curse the day Issac Hayes died when i was on Dlisted. But I don't care much for either 3 of them, that's why I didn't bother posting.
I remember Rosemary's Baby scandal. Sharon Tate would have been a great actress if she wasn't killed so soon. Have you seen her in Valley Of The Dolls ? That was a classic.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:58am On Aug 18, 2008
Holy shit!!!

Sammie Jacksons gonna die?? shocked shocked shocked cry
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by shilling(f): 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2008
Raymond88:

I bet you also believe in Father Christmas.

timba_bng:

. . . and tooth fairy!!!  LOL grin

Very funny. So, I'm superstitious, big deal. What's wrong with believing in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy?
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:24pm On Aug 18, 2008
shilling:

Very funny. So, I'm superstitious, big deal. What's wrong with believing in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy?

Afterall they believe in God and the Holy Spirit. undecided
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by ogagus: 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2008
didn,t feel your post too long lol, i wanted wanted read somethin long would have picked up a book
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by spikedcylinder: 2:46pm On Aug 18, 2008
Nope, dont believe in movie curses.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Raymond88(m): 3:49pm On Aug 18, 2008
shilling:

Makes you vulnerable to a lot of bullshit people thats whats wrong. . .
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Epiphany(m): 4:43pm On Aug 18, 2008
PLEASE, WHEN WILL THIS REACH NOLLYWOOD?
THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO THIS 'CURSE' SHOULD REACH O!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by mekk(m): 4:47pm On Aug 18, 2008
it works like mad. grin grin
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by pku(f): 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2008
It's a scary, strange and wicked world! I don't know whether to believe or not; just that alot of similar cases have been told in the past close to what is being recounted here. And they make so much meaning that is is dificult doubting their relationship.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Sisikill: 5:23pm On Aug 18, 2008
More Cursed Movies

"Incubus,"

Directed by "The Outer Limits" creator Leslie Stevens, made a minor splash on the underground film scene right after its release in 1966. Few know, however, that the real-life story of the film and its aftermath rivals the on-screen horror. Murder, suicide and kidnapping, for a start. And the movie itself, decades later, seemed to have vanished from the face of the earth.

The Incubus was played by Milos Milos, in 1966 he murdered his girlfriend and shot himself.

The Incubus -- a lumbering, craggy-faced giant -- was played by Milos Milos, a buff actor from Belgrade, Yugoslavia, who'd spent some time as a stand-in for decadent French superstar Alain Delon.

Ann Atmar, a sometime girlie-magazine model played William Shatner’s sister in the movie. She committed suicide a few weeks after the film wrapped up.

A few years after the film was released, the daughter of the woman who played the elder sister succubus, Eloise Hardt, was kidnapped from her Los Angeles driveway and murdered. Her body was discovered a few weeks later in the Hollywood Hills.

Director Steven’s production company, Daystar, went belly up not long after the movie was released. (He ended up marrying Allyson Ames, who played the young succubus. The couple later divorced. Stevens passed away from complications of a blood clot on the heart in 1998.)

Atuk (Unreleased)

Atuk is a "hilarious" fish out of water screenplay about an Eskimo who comes to New York. It was never filmed however because people in Hollywood just don't know a good thing when they see it. Oh and also, it killed John Belushi.

Belushi had read the script and was interested in the role when he died of a drug overdose in 1982. So what, right? But everything, as Einstein once said, is relative. And everything, as a Cracked editor once said, can be made to look like it's connected for the purposes of a comedy article.

After Belushi's death the lead role went to comedian Sam Kinison. Numerous problems delayed production, Kinison demanded parts of the movie be re-written and production was halted. A few years passed, the script remained cursed and Kinison died in a car crash. The curse had apparently struck again.

The film's lead role was then passed to John Candy in 1994. Candy took the script completely unaware that it was cursed (Read: a fish out of water comedy about an Eskimo) and promptly died of a heart attack. The screenplay was buried in Hollywood somewhere and all chubby comedians swore to stay clear of the film for good.

The Conqueror
At one point a flash flood nearly killed the entire crew.

Having survived that, lead actress Susan Hayward survived an attack by a black panther.

91 of the 220 of the crew developed cancer after being exposed to a nuclear fallout during filming. 46 of them died.

One of the stars Pedro Armendariz commited suicide

'The Misfits' 1961

The troubles on this film began during production, which encountered delays and problems from the excessive heat of its Black Rock Desert locations. But the real problems came from the film's three major stars: Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe and Montgomery Clift. Monroe was battling a growing substance abuse problem, Clift battled his own personal demons and the 59-year-old Gable, who insisted on performing his own stunts, was quoted at the conclusion of filming as saying, "I'm glad this picture's finished. [Monroe] damn near gave me a heart attack." He suffered a major heart attack the next day and died 11 days later.

Clift slid further into his drug habit and died in 1966; Monroe died from a drug overdose in 1962. "The Misfits" was the last major film for all three actors.

'The Passion of the Christ'

They say lightning doesn't strike twice, unless you're on the set of Mel Gibson's controversial film. With rumors of anti-Semitism and lines spoken only in Aramaic and Latin, the movie seemed to carry the curse of bad publicity from the start.

Jim Caviezel admitted the film was his own cross to carry as he suffered hypothermia, a separated shoulder and was accidentally whipped twice, leaving a scar. But these things happen in extreme movie shoots. When production assistant Jan Michelini, bearing an umbrella in the midst of a storm, was first struck by lightning, it seemed bad luck. However, he earned the title "Lightning Boy" and the reputation for a film-set curse when he was struck a second time, sharing the strike with Caviezel, whom he was trying to protect with an umbrella atop a hill.
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Sisikill: 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2008
kadman:

Really good work Sisiskill.
I noticed the Soul Men curse the day Issac Hayes died when i was on Dlisted. But I don't care much for either 3 of them, that's why I didn't bother posting.
I remember Rosemary's Baby scandal. Sharon Tate would have been a great actress if she wasn't killed so soon. Have you seen her in Valley Of The Dolls ? That was a classic.

Thank you sir (all I did was copy and paste but don't tell anyone wink ) I love Rosemary's Baby. You know how when as an adult you watch old horror movies that scared the bejeebus out of you as a child and you go "Are you kidding me with this crap?" Not with Rosemary's baby. Someone sold their soul to the devil to make that movie. Nah, I haven't seen Valley of the Dolls. . . I read the book awhile back.

You got to dlisted??!! Okay where do you live coz I'm sending the CDC over to your place stat!! That place is not for the faint-hearted, you sir have my utmost respect, still sending the CDC over but with respect!!!
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Nixie(f): 7:08pm On Aug 18, 2008
okay, scary stuff. sounds possible. wonder where that leaves naija movies?!
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by keba(m): 7:27pm On Aug 18, 2008
Epiphany:

PLEASE, WHEN WILL THIS REACH NOLLYWOOD?
THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO THIS 'CURSE' SHOULD REACH O!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
if all that has been narrated by sisikill ventures to happen in the affairs
of nollywood, nna men nobody go act again oohhh shocked shocked
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by Sisikill: 7:37pm On Aug 18, 2008
keba:

if all that has been narrated by sisikill ventures to happen in the affairs
of nollywood, nna men nobody go act again oohhh shocked shocked

Hmmmm, interesting. Say. . . how do you suppose I can get this kinda things to start happening with naija movies? Oh don't worry, you'll thank me later. wink grin
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by keba(m): 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2008
how do i suppose?? what do you mean??
do you have any powers to make such things happen
Re: Movie Curses: Do You Believe? by 2sleek2NV(m): 8:15pm On Aug 18, 2008
i heard samuel L jackson had an accicdent recently,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Classic Yoruba Movies Online / The Sweetest Love Telenovela / The Most Hilarious Ghanaian Movie Trailers Ever (still Think Nollywood Sucks?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.