Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final - Sports (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final (33581 Views)

Poll: Whos gonna win?

Nigeria: 89% (222 votes)
Argentina: 10% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / 2015 Copa America Final: Chile 0 - 0 Argentina - Penalty (4-1) - Fultime. / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by TOYOSI20(f): 2:02am On Aug 24, 2008
I'm so sad we lost, but we leave Beijing with silver not bad, not bad at all. . . . . .
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by davidif: 2:29am On Aug 24, 2008
There is no shame loosing to the best team in the tournament. There was no excuses for this one. Argentina was the better team.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Thor(m): 9:18am On Aug 24, 2008
tpia:

so which medal did you personally win?

As an African British, you must be descended from the Celts and Anglo Saxons, not so?

Dont tell me your forebears were once strangers to flushing toilets and indoor plumbing.

I won the Gold for New Zealand Mugu Agitation grin grin grin

davidif:

There is no shame loosing to the best team in the tournament. There was no excuses for this one. Argentina was the better team.

True but time to look ahead and broaden Nigeria's range of sports. The Olympics is not only about football smiley smiley

Nigeria has four years to turn things around.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Mustay(m): 9:28am On Aug 24, 2008
TOYOSI20:

I'm so sad we lost, but we leave Beijing with silver not bad, not bad at all. . . . . .

that's terrible in terms of overall performance of team nigeria
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by alarainey(m): 9:30am On Aug 24, 2008
Dream Team IV did not disappoint.

They played well, if not for the defensive error that led to the Argentinian Goal, their performmance cn hardly be faulted.

It is not a crime to lose gold, Silver at an olympic event is a tremendous achievement.

Kudos to Siasia and many good wishes for the future career of those boys.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by idupaul: 9:33am On Aug 24, 2008
alarainey:

Dream Team IV did not disappoint.

They played well, if not for the defensive error that led to the Argentinian Goal, their performmance cn hardly be faulted.

It is not a crime to lose gold, Silver at an olympic event is a tremendous achievement.

Kudos to Siasia and many good wishes for the future career of those boys.

i have just watched the match again and we did not really do dat bad, the defence was intact but the keeer made just one error of rushing out when he knew those defenders had de maria covered.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by alarainey(m): 10:48am On Aug 24, 2008
@ Idupaul

Ya Eye dey see well cool
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by tosinadeda: 6:56pm On Aug 24, 2008
ambrose vanzekin just proved to be weak link in the team!!!!!
wut the hell was he thinking?
wuts a short goalie doing coming out of his box?
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by tpia: 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2008
Thor:

I won the Gold for New Zealand Mugu Agitation grin grin grin

shoot. sad

Like you, I wish you were funnier, but unfortunately your metabolism type thrives only on misery.

keep trying- maybe you'll have a hit someday. undecided
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by djcrucifix(m): 10:47pm On Aug 24, 2008
we gave a good account of ourselves, i'm proud to be a nigerian grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dreday(m): 12:24am On Aug 25, 2008
Why can't Nigerians just see that we lost the gold.Lots of peeps would rather see that we won silver.
Who cares about silver when the real deal(gold) is there?Definitely not me.
Anywayz,like everyone's said,the boyz tried but the next person who says Nsofor tried in that final game will have me to contend with. grin
The guy would have done better sprinting for Nigeria.

Gbam
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by kpomkwem(m): 4:56am On Aug 25, 2008
I can almost guarantee that out of everybody in this forum that criticized the Eagles, none of them has ever played professional football, talkless of playing at the olympics or even winning any medal.

Our boys reached a level (finals) that no other African country reached (and on top of that won a medal), yet people in this forum say they performed badly. Nawaa o!

By the way, when are the Eagles returning to Naija? Would it be televised? Will they be welcomed by the president? How will they be rewarded?
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by TOYOSI20(f): 5:20am On Aug 25, 2008
Mustay:

that's terrible in terms of overall performance of team nigeria

well . . . . . . . . . .u rite I watched the relay heat, for both men n women

and i actually felt very bad, we didn't qualify, the same thing that

happened to our men happened to the Us men's relay team, as well

as their women, . . . . . . non the less we can't now cry over spilled milk, can we?,

there has been a lot of disappointment for several countries to say the least. . . . .

I say we work hard an look forward to 2012 in London, . . . . . , , smiley
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by wormedup(m): 9:41am On Aug 25, 2008
Siasia to take over Super Eagles ? hell no !!!!

siasia is handicapped !
Isaac Promise didn't show any forms of brilliance or hunger in the early stages of the tournament; why play him in place of a fit Obasi or Anichebe ?
our attacking treats were greatly flawed by isaac's presence; the man is lazy, lacks pace and will, has no idea or vision !!!! the man was meant to be watching from the stands !!!
why would siasia not see these

tosin,
the goal had nothing to do with the keeper !!! di maria had no bizznizz being all alone that way, where the eff were our defenders
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by thendo(m): 9:58am On Aug 25, 2008
Its amazing how we Africans fans can easily turn from being very patriotic to being pathetic fans when it suits us. I am not trying to be a racist but if you compare our fans with the western world we are completely different. Those fellows support their team through and through and know that their team wont be winning everyday.

I am a South African, but have to say i am proud of being an African because of what the eaglets achieved. they went there and gave their hearts out and it will take a retarded person not see that. Instead of bringing these boys down lets encourage them and show them we believe in them. they are the best in Africa and every African ought to be proud of them.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 25, 2008
Do you want to know why we lost, it was because the Argentine coach was far smarter than Siasia. He studied our game but we failed to study their pattern of play and unfortunately we played what we had often played. Check out his brief talk on this site http://en.afrik.com/article14337.html

Siasia's formula for the finals failed big time. He shoul have told his boys to play like they played against Cote D'Ivoire. He should have asked his boys to use long range shots only and not try breaking into the Argentine 18 box. He should have capitalised on using the goal formation we used to score the third goal against the Belgian side.

When I watched the first 15 minutes of the match, I knew we would lose becos I could hear what the Aregentine coach told his players from what they were playing, which was "Don't let Nigerians play football" and that they did very well.

I think the next time Siasia has a big game like this he should try and get other advices from outsiders and even strangers that are not in his technical crew or advicers. Becos he probably don't know it all. I am in no way failing to apprecitae the fact that we had a good game all through. In fact, I give him 100% kudos for the Cote D'Ivoire game. We played like Liverpool. We should have used that game-plan againts Aregntina and we should have won.

I wonder why Siasia didn't see that the Argentine side usually have a wall of Jericho in their 18 as their own defence pattern. No doubt our defence was tight but they succeeded in putting fear in our goalkeeper which was the major reason for their goal. But if we had scored first, we would have won by just ruining their psychology.

Even God favoured us in that match. We deserved the gold, we don't deserve the silver at all. The weather was in our favour; the referee was in our favour; and even the spectators were in our favour. So everything around us wished us to win but the Argentine intelligence prevailed over our zeal, desire and weak strategy. To Siasia, I say try and use a different game plan when you are playing with an inteligent side like Argentina; take them on surprise. Never let them be right by playing what they expected you to play. When you take them unawares, you are more likely to win the cup.

Siasia has a winning spirit, he hasa way of achieveibg great sucess with his boys. I really like that. I think in addition to that he should go for advanced coching training and mentorship from Batista, Mourhino and the Egyptian coaches so that this guys would make him move forward in his career. And I ask all those that read this that if you have Siasia's contact pls forward this to him or probably send me his e-mail address.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by usten: 12:07pm On Aug 25, 2008
i think vanzekin shld be converted to a sweeper,i dont know what he was doing in no man's land
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by shilling(f): 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2008
We played well although we made some errors. We gave a good account of ourselves.I'm so extremely proud to be a Nigerian!!!!!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by wormedup(m): 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2008
u guys should stop calling for vanzekin's head, the man made no errors on the finals !
there were supposed to be, at least, 2 defenders checking di maria on that game; 1 FB and *at least* 1 CB !!
where were both of them

siasia'a squad had 2 major problems :
1) no performing central midfielder.
2) no counter-attack prowess.

point (1) above, we all should know, is enough to bury us against argentina !
point (2) is something we could have survived if siasia was smart enough to think straight !
if we had obasi or anichebe on the pitch, instead of isaac, we would've made cover for the deficiencies we had in CM with Peter !

i've watched that game again for the 70mins isaac Promise played and i did not see 1 contribution by the lad on the day !!!
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Ayinke(f): 7:55am On Aug 27, 2008
I agree with you thendo and well said. I have a lot of respect for athletes throughout the continent. Not only are fans more supportive in the Western world but so is the government. In countries like the United States, the government pours money into physical education so children are exposed to a wide range of sports in public school. Most neighborhoods are planned with children in mind. There are playgrounds and community centers where children can play and train for free and programs you can enroll children in at reasonable prices. Even in low income areas, there are places where children can play sports. In Nigeria, where can children safely play or train in football or any other sport they want to for free? It's hard enough trying to find equipment that isn't ridiculously over priced. Here government housing and other government buildings don’t even have parking lots, not to mention play grounds or community centers. I don’t know what Nigerian athletes are paid or how much the government invests in training athletes but I know they can do more. Our athletes are able to excel when the odds are against them because of their love of the game and their country.

Also, I’m kind of tired of people using the weather as an excuse. It gets much hotter than that in Argentina. And there are places in Nigeria that are cooler than Argentina. Before the final, commentators were saying that the Nigerian team arrived in Beijing early so they could acclimate to the weather. After the final, perhaps to make Argentina look better since they could only get one goal out of us, suddenly we have an advantage and we are used to playing these conditions. It was one of the hottest days in the tournament. Both sides had problems with the heat.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by maximum007(m): 11:29am On Jun 02, 2011
2008 is now history because Nigeria led by Siaisia has finally won the Argentines who were almost begining to look like our conquerors. 4-1 the final score right here in Abuja.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Icon4s(m): 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2015
Seun:
Our beloved Dream Team IV, led by Samson Siasia, defeated Belgium 4-1 in the semi-finals.  The score was 4-0 until the 87th minute.   Argentina also defeated Brazil 3-0 to win a slot in the final match.  So it's Nigeria versus Argentina for the gold medal.

The match will be played in Beijing on Saturday the 23rd of August 2008 at 5am Nigerian time.  We're going to cover the match live, as usual. 

What are your predictions? 

Nigeria defeated Belgium 4-1, but Argentina defeated Brazil without conceding any goal.  Oops?

UPDATE: Argentine won 1-0. De-Maria scored. The Eaglets wasted a lot of chances.

So Seun once used to creat threads? grin
Well no need for that anymore as u've gat over 1.3million enthusiastic members cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) / Serena Williams Debuts Baby Bump At Met Gala (Photos) / Kevin-Prince Boateng Revealed What Really Transpired In Ghanian Camp At WC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.