Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers (1043 Views)

EFCC Launches Massive Manhunt For Sacked Nigerian Official Over $2.1 Million / EFCC Launches Massive Manhunt For Sacked Nigerian Official Over $2.1 Million / "If You Voted For Jonathan, You're Just As Guilty As He Is" - Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 24, 2008
Just saw this on Yahoo!

People who fall for so-called "Nigerian scams" aren't victims at all—in fact, they're greedy and should be jailed, [/b]according to Nigerian high commissioner Sunday Olu Agbi. He said today that Nigeria has gained a bad reputation because of the scams perpetrated by a minuscule number of people, and that those who find themselves involved with the scams are equally as guilty as those running them.

"The Nigerian Government frowns very seriously on these scams, and every day tries to track down those who are involved," Olu Agbi told the Sydney Morning Herald in response to a previous article on Australians falling for Nigerian scams.[b] "People who send their money are as guilty as those who are asking them to send the money.
"

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080822-nigerian-official-greedy-marks-as-guilty-as-419-scammers.html
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by onyinye2(f): 9:09pm On Aug 24, 2008
HELL YEAH!!!!! all those who fall for Nigerian scams are greedy as hell. I remember one lady in houston left her five kids at home to marry some Nigerian man who told her to send 200,000 dollars so he could make the wedding arrangements. Of course when she came, the man was gone. And CPS took her kids.

That is why when i watch "I go chop you dollar" by Nkem Owoh with what some of what he says and laugh.
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by bilymuse: 10:10pm On Aug 24, 2008
how could you place both the victim and perpetrator on the same scale, its unfair.
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by Bastage: 11:08pm On Aug 24, 2008
No wonder Nigeria's reputation is going down the drain internationally when it's representatives make such stupid statements.

What about victims of Romance scams - because they fall in love do they deserve to go to jail?
What about victims of Charity scams - because they send money to help orphans do they deserve to go to jail?
What about victims of Lottery scams - because they believe they have won a lottery do they deserve to go to jail?
What about Employment scams - because they believe they're earning money from a real job do they deserve to go to jail?
And what about the victim of the basic money transfer scam? The vast majority of letters tell the victim that the sender is in a refugee camp, is being hunted by armed men, has had their family killed, is suffering from cancer, all sorts of tragic lies and that they need help - does the victim who falls for this deserve to go to jail?

The last time I checked, being stupid and having your money stolen was not a crime. If that were the case, every Nigerian would be in jail for living in a country where they allow their politicians to steal their money on a daily basis.
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by smile4kenn(m): 3:23am On Aug 25, 2008
i love this type of news
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by dudubobo1: 11:10am On Aug 26, 2008
onyinye2:

HELL YEAH!!!!! all those who fall for Nigerian scams are greedy as hell. I remember one lady in houston left her five kids at home to marry some Nigerian man who told her to send 200,000 dollars so he could make the wedding arrangements. Of course when she came, the man was gone. And CPS took her kids.

That is why when i watch "I go chop you dollar" by Nkem Owoh with what some of what he says and laugh.

Is this not stupidity or at best her ploy to use and manipulate a guy she thought might help her out of her own loneliness?

She should be charged for stupidity or attempt to take advantage of a downtrodden man tongue
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by Bastage: 12:25pm On Aug 26, 2008
She is in jail.
She was jailed for abondoning her children.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326758,00.html

And here is her photo:

Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by MrCrackles(m): 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2008
Bastage:

She is in jail.
She was jailed for abondoning her children.

And here is her photo:

true!
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by texazzpete(m): 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2008
onyinye2:

So falling in love is 'greed', abi?!

Any Nigerian who finds Nkem Owoh's song funny must be an idiot.
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by chidichris(m): 6:42pm On Aug 26, 2008
if people who buy stolen items are as greedy and guilty as the thieves, then victims who were cheated through the stories of conspiring to steal money from the governments purse.
the issue here is that the leaders are mad. the adverts in america and some other countries will say, DO NOT PAY UPFRONT.
this is another way of encouraging their people to help our rulers steal our money and at the same time to be on the safe side by not paying.
the scam will not stop as long as our rulers are shifting our funds out.
no matter the advert, it is still happening some those who knows the realities of criminal minded rulers in our country will still fall for the game.
if efcc is real, how do you stop our rulers from this sin of shifting our funds outside the country? make the crime of the victim bigger so that whenever anyone come close to the news, he will run.
how can people who did not do contrct come for claims and you tell me they are not guilty.
life imprisonment for the victims and 1 year for the scamer and you will see the game go to rest and our rulers will not have their ways as usual
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by davidif: 8:28pm On Aug 26, 2008
Typical naija mentality, always blame the victim. Its like blaming a woman for being raped because she was wearing so called "revealing" or "skimpy" outfit or giving the usual excuse, "she asked for it" or "she loved it". PATHETIC MENTALITY, ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by redsun(m): 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2008
Where on earth did the suppose broken heart african american lady got 200,000 from? or do u mean 200,000 naira?
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by Seun(m): 9:41pm On Aug 26, 2008
redsun:

Where on earth did the suppose broken heart african american lady got 200,000 from? or do u mean 200,000 naira?
Life savings, aka retirement fund. That's what makes these stories so tragic.
Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by bluehorizo(m): 10:04pm On Aug 26, 2008
onyinye2:

I remember one lady in houston left her five kids at home to marry some Nigerian man who told her to send 200,000 dollars so he could make the wedding arrangements. Of course when she came, the man was gone. And CPS took her kids.

I wonder why some people tell lies in other to mislead other people. Ths story you gave here is contrary to what the media reported. Why is that so?

Here is the TRUE story:
[b]
HOUSTON — A mother was behind bars on Wednesday after authorities say she left her six children home alone while she traveled to Africa to marry a man she met on the Internet.

Shanell Monique Mosley, 33, was arrested at a Houston airport when she returned, charged with child endangerment and child abandonment for leaving the children in poor conditions. Two other children who are neighbors were also at the home.

Mosley made her first court appearance Wednesday. She has a $275,000 bail.

Child welfare officials contacted Mosley to notify her that her children were in CPS custody and she faced charges, but she hung up, said John Jordan, a Harris County prosecutor.

"It appears that she continued with her honeymoon while her kids had been in CPS custody," Jordan said.

Mosley claims her sister was supposed to watch the kids during her absence.

"I didn't just leave my kids, if that's what you think," Mosley said. "This trip was pre-planned for a year."

Child welfare officials were reviewing the case while the children remained in foster homes, said Estella Olguin, a spokeswoman for Child Protective Services.

Lt. John Legg, a spokesman for the Harris County Sheriff's Office, said they found the home in poor condition.

"We don't know what would have happened had we not responded," Legg said.

Authorities found the children alone in the house in early January and investigated Mosley's whereabouts, learning she had traveled to Nigeria.

When she left for Nigeria on Dec. 31, Mosley told her 15-year-old daughter she would return in a month, child welfare officials said.

"I left money in my closet," Mosley said. "I gave one of my children three ATM cards."

Assistant Harris County District Attorney John Jordan said investigators have learned Mosley's six children were starving and her older children could not recall their own birth dates.

Mosley's children are 1, 7, 8, 9, 15 and 16, Jordan said. The other two children found in the home were 3- and 4-year-olds the family cared for on behalf of a single father who worked, Jordan said.

Mosley left a Lone Star food card, but officials said it had no monetary balance.

The 9-year-old son told authorities he and the baby ate a still-frozen pizza for breakfast the morning they were discovered home alone. There were no diapers, baby food or formula for the infant, no sheets on beds and fruit was rotting in a basket, Jordan said.[/b]

Re: Nigerian Official: Greedy Marks As Guilty As 419 Scammers by REPAIRMAN(m): 11:37pm On Aug 26, 2008
I prefer d 1st vasion @ least she got cash 2 spend pls get me ha contat, Hey i'm just serious sori just jokin

(1) (Reply)

Jtf Attacks: Seven Villages Attacked, 35 People Killed, 77 Houses Burnt. / All Nigerians Are Corrupt, Is This A Government Problem Alone? / The 10 Greatest Conmen Of All Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.