Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,534 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk (1176 Views)

Biden Vs Ryan: Vice Presidential Debate In America... / Joe Biden, A Perfect Vp (if Not Even President)! / Howard Dean Statement On Senator Joe Biden As America's Next Vice President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by BigB11(m): 4:59pm On Aug 25, 2008
A great pick with a risk, no question!

Mr Biden has it all, but at the same time he tends to talk too much from time to time. At this point, Obama can not afford this man to fumble, as he has done so many times in the past.

This man was the same man that invited John McCain few years ago to run for presidential election as a democrate.
He was also the man that called Obama the first decent, clean, articulate and handsome black man to run for the presidential election.
Not too long ago, he also stated that it has become very difficult today in United States to go to 7/11 for a cup of coffee without an Indian accents.
Just few months ago, he also admitted publicly that Obama was absolutely not ready to be the next president of United States (in fact, the Republicans are already running around vigorously exploiting that same statement).
This man also openly supported war in Iraq.

It is simple; the man has to watch his moves and his statements. He's no longer getting away with things like before; he's now seen as a whiteman that shares a blackman's view.
He must also recognize that impressing few folks in Delaware is no longer the case; he has to clearly understand that he's in a position where thinking and viewing things broadly is absolutely necessary.

Please, do not get me wrong; the pick is clever and I'm sure that sky will be the limit for these folks (Obama and Biden) if the game is played accordingly (Obama's style). The chemistry is definitely there for both of them.

But no unnecessary mistakes and no need for him (Joe Biden) to go there if he doesn't have to!
The republicans recognise the weakness of Mr Biden and I'm 1000% sure that they will call him out on a regular for no apparent reason, but to knock him off track.
They've done the same to Obama and the strategy mostly did not work, therefore, the new kid oldman on the block will be tested from now till Nov 2008.

It is absolutely Up to him to maintain and stay focused on relevant issues that will restore the stamina of the super power, called the United States Of America!
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by SeanT21(f): 5:27pm On Aug 25, 2008
I like him and his ideals.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by Eziachi: 7:54pm On Aug 25, 2008
Big B1:

A great pick with a risk, no question!

Mr Biden has it all, but at the same time he tends to talk too much from time to time. At this point, Obama can not afford this man to fumble, as he has done so many times in the past.

This man was the same man that invited John McCain few years ago to run for presidential election as a democrate.
He was also the man that called Obama the first decent, clean, articulate and handsome black man to run for the presidential election.
Not too long ago, he also stated that it has become very difficult today in United States to go to 7/11 for a cup of coffee without an Indian accents.
Just few months ago, he also admitted publicly that Obama was absolutely not ready to be the next president of United States (in fact, the Republicans are already running around vigorously exploiting that same statement).
This man also openly supported war in Iraq.

It is simple; the man has to watch his moves and his statements. He's no longer getting away with things like before; he's now seen as a whiteman that shares a blackman's view.
He must also recognize that impressing few folks in Delaware is no longer the case; he has to clearly understand that he's in a position where thinking and viewing things broadly is absolutely necessary.

Please, do not get me wrong; the pick is clever and I'm sure that sky will be the limit for these folks (Obama and Biden) if the game is played accordingly (Obama's style). The chemistry is definitely there for both of them

But no unnecessary mistakes and no need for him (Joe Biden) to go there if he doesn't have to!
The republicans recognise the weakness of Mr Biden and I'm 1000% sure that they will call him out on a regular for no apparent reason, but to knock him off track.
They've done the same to Obama and the strategy mostly did not work, therefore, the new kid oldman on the block with be tested from now till Nov 2008.

It is absolutely Up to him to maintain and stay focused on relevant issues that will restore the stamina of the super power, called the United States Of America!

I think all your above points are meaningless. Even if Obama chooses Jesus Christ as his VP, the likes of you and the republicans will have a problem with the choice. Enough said!!
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by cre8tivity(f): 8:08pm On Aug 25, 2008
it is either you did not read this topic properly or you did not understand the content befpre posting your comment, because your post or rsponse doen't make much sense.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by cre8tivity(f): 8:12pm On Aug 25, 2008
i have a funny feeling that obama needs much more than j biden to get the job done. iwas hoping that hillary was picked or at least acknowledged to a certain degree. i hope it doesn't come back around to bite obama for totally ignoring hillary.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by BigB11(m): 8:42pm On Aug 25, 2008
If Mr Biden could watch his moves and mouth, I think there is nothing that could stop them at this point.
Republicans simply do not have material or anything tangible to capitalize on, except for this dude being a POW for few years.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by JeSoul(f): 9:15pm On Aug 25, 2008
Big B1:

If Mr Biden could watch his moves and mouth, I think there is nothing that could stop them at this point.
Republicans simply do not have material or anything tangible to capitalize on, except for this dude being a POW for few years.
  I doubt you've been following the polls lately. Infact just yesterday this came out:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/24/election.2008.poll/index.html
DENVER, Colorado (CNN) -- It's a dead heat in the race for the White House. 1 of 2  The first national poll conducted after Barack Obama publicly named Joe Biden as his running mate suggests that the battle for the presidency between the Illinois senator and John McCain is all tied up.

This race is far from over, as of right now both have an equal chance of winning.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by subice(m): 10:14pm On Aug 25, 2008
It is true that they are neck to neck at the moment according to the polls, but I think Obama still has the edge. Also, those polls, from what I know, are based on previously registered voters. There are lots of first time voters, especially young people, who are registering just because of Obama. So that would help push him up a bit.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by chikeze(m): 10:23pm On Aug 25, 2008
this is the downfall of obama for chosing j biden. these are recycled politicians that have nothing to offer the people of america. he should have chosen hillary clinton. they both would have formed a formidable force to beat mccain. sorry obama you have just shot your self on the foot. angry
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by Eziachi: 10:52pm On Aug 25, 2008
Asking Obama to choose Hilary Clinton as his VP is like asking Alex Ferguson to make Arsene Wenger his assitant. If he chooses Hillary, the whole debate now will be what Hillary said about Obama and what Obama said about Hillary during the primaries. Bill Clinton some will even bring him to the equation. So no matter what the guy do, arm chair politicians and the like of FoX NEWS will always pour a cold water on it.

I prefer Hillary Clinton to Obama during the campaign but Obama won the contest and it was a hard fought contest and he will be an idiot to make her his vice,there will always be conflict. John Kerry made Edward his VP and did it work in the end?
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by JeSoul(f): 1:13am On Aug 26, 2008
subice:

It is true that they are neck to neck at the moment according to the polls, but I think Obama still has the edge.
  how so? McCain is full of suprises and has slowly chipped away at Obama's previous double-digit lead at the polls. Who's to say this trend will not continue up till november?

Also, those polls, from what I know, are based on previously registered voters. There are lots of first time voters, especially young people, who are registering just because of Obama. So that would help push him up a bit.
  Perhaps. But I don't see this small minority of young 1st time voters significantly affecting anything . . . maybe a little push like you said, but I don't think its enough to make it significant. I guess we'll find out in a few months. smiley

chikeze:

this is the downfall of obama for chosing j biden. these are recycled politicians that have nothing to offer the people of america. he should have chosen hillary clinton. they both would have formed a formidable force to beat mccain. sorry obama you have just shot your self on the foot. angry
  And Hillary is not a "recycled politian"? I do agree though that the Obama-Hillary ticket woulda been unstoppable . . . but it would never work - they don't like each other.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by savanaha: 1:23am On Aug 26, 2008
I watched Hilary say she was trying her best to "convince" her people to vote for Obama. I don't think Biden is any help to Obama because apart from the fact he has a foot in the mouth syndrome many so called Democrats won't vote for Obama because he did not pick Hell Dog
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by SeanT21(f): 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2008
JeSoul is a replubican, NUFF SAID!!!

Damn, I never knew after all those years of Bush people still wannna be a republican.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by JeSoul(f): 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2008
SeanT21:

Damn, I never knew after all those years of Bush people still wannna be a republican.
JeSoul is an Independent.

I pledge allegiance to neither party as I don't subscribe to majority of either of the general philosophies of Reps or Dems. I prefer to use my brain and analyze from a distance than blindly follow the leanings of party lines.

So I call it as I see it, I don't necessarily support McCain cos I'm laying out facts. and anyone with their eyes open and ear on the streets can see that Obama has lost his significant double-digit lead at the polls over the last couple of weeks.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by JeSoul(f): 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2008
SeanT21:

Well think about it for a sec gurl. Is it about voting according to a party? or according to the person running? I don't care about a person's party affiliation (though I'm not blind to the fact that it is important) but I care about that person's philosophy and policies and whether or not they are sensible/reasonable. I will not condemn all republicans just becos Bush has been a disaster.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Aug 26, 2008
SeanT21:

Are republicans DEMONS? what is wrong with not being on your side of the fence?? WOW!!!
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by LASIEFAIRE(m): 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Are republicans DEMONS? what is wrong with not being on your side of the fence?? WOW!!!
I wonder oh.
Like someone asked in one thread, What has the Democratic party done for blacks?
Why are black republicans seen as outcast.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by Tornadoz(m): 6:07pm On Aug 26, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

I wonder oh.
Like someone asked in one thread, What has the Democratic party done for blacks?
Why are black republicans seen as outcast.
As a black person you have to choose the lesser evil, in this case the Democrats. The GOP don't give a hoot about poor white folks not to talk of black folks.
You should ask yourself why there are so few Black and Hispanic Republicans.
PS:
Conservatives or Reps tend to be people in their mid 40s and Democrates or liberals tend to be in their 20s.
Old people tend to hate new ideas unlike young folks.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by MrCrackles(m): 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2008
A great pick

Mouthy and Gaffe Prone

On the other side, great experience especially with foreign policies which Obama is lacking!
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by BigB11(m): 6:31pm On Aug 26, 2008
Biden delivers mea culpa to home-state delegates

LITTLETON, Colo. - Vice presidential candidate Joe Biden thanked Delaware delegates Tuesday for standing by their home-state senator and served up a mea culpa for his foibles and imperfections.

Biden, known for an unscripted style that sometimes gets him into trouble, told a small breakfast gathering that he couldn't have weathered personal failures without their help, and allowed that his spot on the ticket will come with challenges, drawing knowing laughter from the crowd.

"It's all out there, in the clear public view," Biden said. "I didn't always comport myself in the way that I wanted to."

"My private life has been lived in the public arena because y'all got me started so young," Biden said. "I hadn't been out of law school but a year when I got involved in the Democratic Party."

Aides said Biden was referring to his tendencies to shoot from the hip, and set a sometimes condescending tone.

Biden first won his Senate seat in 1973. He's run two unsuccessful presidential campaigns, including a 2008 bid that that ended after a disappointing showing in leadoff Iowa. The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee noted he's not used to playing a supporting role.

"I've never been a team," he said. "I should've been a one-man band."

Biden, at times emotional and ignoring prepared remarks that praised both Barack and Michelle Obama, also offered personal thanks as his large family listened.

"The only reason I came by is to tell you that I love you," Biden said.

But Biden — the quick-witted, sharp-tongued banterer — kept his signature humor.

"This is the first time I've ever had security. Senators don't matter," he said to laughter.

He also took credit for the updated seating chart on the floor of the convention, where Biden will be nominated on Wednesday.

"The only reason I accepted the nomination , so the Delaware delegation could be moved up front," Biden said. "As the old joke goes: How about them seats?"

Later Tuesday, Biden stopped by Michelle Obama's round-table on women's economic issues. Again, the humor came when he noted most of the audience were women: "Thank heaven for small favors."

He also noted his seniority in the Senate but also reminded them he took office at age 30.

"There's still 44 senators older than me. I want you to know that. I don't give a damn if you remember anything else."

Biden's failed 1988 run was marred by plagiarism of speeches and law review articles.

As he began his second presidential run, Biden found himself apologizing for calling Obama "articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy." He also drew criticism for his remark that "you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080826/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_biden
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by BigB11(m): 6:34pm On Aug 26, 2008
So far so great!
No-one is perfect, in fact it is extremely difficult to try to be perfect. But the senator from Delaware must discover an effective method to stand or stay on his feet at all time.
I still think this pick is an incredible one.

I just hope he (Biden) keeps this (greatness) way up.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by SeanT21(f): 1:21am On Aug 27, 2008
If Barack had choosen hillary his haters would have still been negative so WHO CARES WHAT THE REPUBLICANS THINK.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by BigB11(m): 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2008
So far so good!

If Biden could continue to maintain like this, sky is the limit for this combo; in fact, I predict that McCain himself will end up casting his vote for Obama.
The republicans got nothing on these guys, the big cake will be brought home shortly.

Again, the pick is very clever and extremely magnificent; but Biden must play the game appropriately.
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by toshmann(m): 5:35pm On Aug 28, 2008
Big B1:

So far so good! . . . . .

The republicans got nothing on these guys, the big cake will be brought home shortly.

you think so? wait till next week grin then u'll see the republican masters cheesy

the democrats are too scared to criticize mccain, a war hero, magnificent record cheesy all of them are saying . . . "he is my friend but. . . " grin
next week there'll be no niceties with barrack angry negative attack at it's peak. and know what? it works. the polls have showed a steady rise for mccain and even some have showed him ahead. this is john's year and he deserves it. period. cool
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by toshmann(m): 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2008
and toshmann is a republican at heart. yes i am cool  . b/c my God is anti abortion, anti gay, anti frivolities and the democrats seem to tolerate these abominable practices angry

have u heard of PUMA? hillary's supporters who said . .

[b]P[/b]arty [b]U.[/b]nity [b]M[/b]y [b]A[/b]rse    grin  they'll vote for mccain. and they are in their millions
Re: Joe Biden: A Great Pick With A Risk by JeSoul(f): 10:01pm On Aug 28, 2008
toshmann:

and toshmann is a republican at heart. yes i am cool . b/c my God is anti abortion, anti gay, anti frivolities and the democrats seem to tolerate these abominable practices angry

wow Toshmann, you've perfectly listed MY EXACT BEEF WITH THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!!! Which is why in-spite of the economic shortcomings of the Republicans, this sin of the Democrats irks me more.

(1) (Reply)

Why intelligent People Do Not Trust The Mainstream Media / Egypt's Hosni Mubarak Suffers 'heart Attack' / London Woolwich Killing Was Fake ? Bloody Hands No Blood On His Jacket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.