Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,911 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! (937 Views)

How To Identify A Fraudulent Set-up In Property acquisition In Nigeria / What Part Of The Country Is Best To Invest In Property Considering Your Family / The Importance Of Pictures In Property Ads. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! by lawyer(m): 1:42am On Sep 04, 2008
Yesterday, i was sadly briefed by a close friend who fell into the hands of wrong and fraudulent estate agents. The facts of the matter was that she wanted to rent a 3 bedroom flat in Maryland and she didnt know how to go about it. She contacted a friend who told her to look through the classified property adverts in Guardian Newspaper.

She ended up calling one agent who had what she thought suited her kind of property. The agent promised to meet her at her place of work and they discussed extensively on how to go about the renting of the 3 bedroom flat. For 3 weeks they went together on various inspections around the Anthony, ikeja and maryland axis to get one until she found one that suited her in Maryland for N1.8 Million per annum and she paid him for 2 years including the mandatory agency and legal fees.

She was introduced to the landlord of the said house and he showed her a sample tenancy agreement and she even paid an extra N150,000 caution fee which she was told was refundable. After the payment to the Agent, She was given the key to her new apartment. A week later, she decided to take her fiancee to her new apartment and on getting there, she found another couple painting the flat. After a brief hysterical argument, she decided to call the Estate agent to clarify the issues at hand. The number did not go through and it was reportedly said to be switched off. She tried the number of the Landlord and it was also switched off. She ran to guardian newspapers to trace the office of the estate agent as advertised but on getting there, there was no office of such and it was a petrol station that was there instead.

The worst part is that she kept on crying that it was a loan she took from her office since she was planning to get married and was 4months pregnant for her fiancee.

The moral of this sad tale is that you should know who your dealing with and investigate your estate agent, lawyer or who ever is handling your transactions for you. These are sensitive issues that deal with your well being and lifestyle and you shouldnt rely on mere online or media adverts of properties listed as 'sugar coated properties". Just the way you would investigate your finances, should be the way you should know the whereabout of your agent, lawyer or whoever. You should know their offices, addresses, kind of previous transactions made and ask questions from neighbours around about the veracity of that person. It is your inalienable right to do so and anyone that isnt ready to be straight forward with you to open up is a very very dodgy character and you have to switch places with such a person. Besides its your money that is in question!

Please dont fall into the same kind of mess my friend is and you should always seek physical good counsel in whatever you do. There are many good and honest Estate agents and lawyers but before you pass judgement you should verify their place of contact and analyse their lifestyles. Never conclude a transaction through a media outlet alone. If you do otherwise, you have no one else but your self to blame.

Cheers!
Re: A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! by abujabooks(f): 10:13am On Sep 04, 2008
@Lawyer,

Thanks. God bless you for sharing that.
Re: A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! by abujabooks(f): 10:21am On Sep 04, 2008
@Lawyer,

On this issue of fraudulent Estate Agents, is there a list of registered Estate Agents in Nigeria?

Or does anyone have the name of the Association of Estate Agents or any regulated body in 9ja?

Thanks
Re: A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! by lawyer(m): 10:43am On Sep 04, 2008
Unfortunately there are none but there is a comprehensive list of registered surveyors and estate valuers with registered offices and places of contact. If you are you are using a freelancing estate agent be extremely cautious and be on your guard. They might truely have properties at their disposal but try and get the direct owners to know more about it and ask questions or use a lawyer to conduct it on your behalf. They know the required searches to be done and if it goes awry, the lawyer can be held liable for professional negligence.

Cheers!
Re: A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! by bigdaddy1: 10:44am On Sep 04, 2008
indeed one need to be extremely careful cause this is nigeria. the lady is a bit stupid because she should have involve a lawyer to do it for her. i am an agent but i always tell people to get a lawyer when they want to deal with me so that both of us will be secured.

also how will you part with close to 4million without looking well. my people shine your eyes well well.
Re: A sad Property Transanction Story: Be Extremely Vigilant in Property Issues! by Flowers: 11:19am On Sep 04, 2008
@ Lawyer,

This is a pathetic one. I had an encounter with a landlord but I thank God I was able to get my money back.

The shop is in Ogba and I got it through an agent. The shop had not been completed as the landlord said he didn't have enough money to complete it. He said If I was interested in it, I should pay that they would complete it in 2 weeks. The agent said he'll monitor it so I paid for 2 years.

I went to inspect the place in one week and found out that work was in progress. I got a call from the agent the following week to come, I thought the place was completed all for me to get there and the landord said they would like to refund my money. The place had now become attractive to them then they gave it out to another person at a higher price.

I collected my money and bade them goodbye. It was later on that I heard from their neighbours that a man had paid for the place and they couldn't refund his money because they had spent it, so they collected mine to pay him.

(1) (Reply)

2 Bedroom Apartment To Sub Let @ Elekahia In Port Harcourt. / Land For Sale At Bucknor Isolo / For Sale: Ikeja,alausa,oregun,oshodi,ikoyi.gbagada,lekki,awoyaya,sangotedo,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.