Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,855 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta (7757 Views)

Abagworo Any Update On Shell Gas Plant In Ohaji,okigwe Bottling Company? / AIT Documentary On Tinubu: Lion Of Bourdillion (Videos) / PDP-Sponsored Documentary On Buhari & My Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by mustafar1: 4:21pm On Sep 07, 2008
because Nigeria is lawless doesn't justify the actions of shell, chevron, nnpc, Texaco, BP etc etc etc. theres a certain level of responsibility that every company owe to the immediate or far distant surroundings of where the carry out business.

my 1cent is that, i feel our attitude of since its not in my backyard i could care less is whats making this problem harder to crack. most people view it as a Niger delta problem and thus should be dealt with by the Niger delta people. same goes for the desert encroachment of the north. the Atlantic surge of the southwest ati be be lo.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by churchmann: 4:22pm On Sep 07, 2008
i think they have too shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by kiwi992(m): 4:32pm On Sep 07, 2008
Hi All,

It fails to amaze me as to how some of our people in this Forum think.  

First of all, with due respects to you 4Play.  However, I just can't get your mentality when you come here to express such sentiments as in saying that 'it is farcical' when it is suggested that Shell should be responsible for the clean-up operations in the Niger Delta. Well, friend, perhaps you need to check up on the meaning of the word farcical.  What is so ridiculous or meaningless about it?  Ridiculous in what form or shape?  That Shell should fix what it broke?     

Please consider these real-life examples:

1.  You hit and damage somebody's car - YOU fix it

Never mind the fact that the car with which you hit the other car in the accident belongs to two people.  The fact is that you were the one driving it at the time, so you must fix it through your own insurance company or privately.  Simple and logical - no need for a Solicitor to confirm it.

2.  You damage something - YOU fix it.

3.  You break something - YOU fix it.

4.  You pollute the environment - YOU clean it up

5.  Shell damages the environment - SHELL cleans-up the environmental damage.

If anybody thinks that the clean-up operation is the responsibility of the corrupt Nigerian government, then the one needs to have their head examined. 

Where's all the social responsiblity gone?  Did you guys notice the contempt and condescending attitude of Shell's legal representative towards the lady at the Hague?  After mentioning that Shell was waiting for money from the Nigerian government to clean-up the environment, he had the guts to go on to say that 'we know the Nigerian government is corrupt', tongue in cheek!  This, in addition to the patronising attitude of the CEO of Shell, towards the two representatives of the Niger Delta.

Shell is just taking the micky, if you ask me.  If this happened in the UK or anywhere else in the world, we wouldn't be coming here to discuss whose responsibility it is, to clean up the environment.     

In fact, as we speak, Shell made a profit of £1,000,000 (one million pounds) for EVERY MINUTE that passed by. 

Nigeria is such a corrupt country, Shell is taking it for a ride and everybody is siting in their cushy homes, laughing their heads off, while the peoples of the Niger Delta are suffering.  Any wonder as to why the troubles there persist?   

A word or two for the corrupt, bribery-minded Nigerian government ministers that are lurking in this Forum:

Shame on you bloody lot!   Shame, shame, shame because you've sold your souls to the oil companies operating in Nigeria.  Even with your so-called riches - you can't seem to do anything good with it.  Where is your conscience, seeing this heart-rending video?  Most probably driving about in your ill-gotten Merc in Abuja and other filthy Nigerian cities, chasing young girls for cheap sex.  You bloody scumbags.  You are the lowest of the low, I tell you.  You are all condemned fools.

I'm ashamed to be associated with the defunct Nigerian state.  A country that does not care about its citizens.  A country in which most people go into politics to line up their own pockets instead of serving their country.

May the struggles of the peoples of the Niger Delta continue until justice is finally won. 

kiwi992.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by iceland(m): 5:31pm On Sep 07, 2008
must_a_far:

my 1cent is that, i feel our attitude of since its not in my backyard i could care less is whats making this problem harder to crack. most people view it as a Niger delta problem and thus should be dealt with by the Niger delta people. same goes for the desert encroachment of the north. the Atlantic surge of the southwest ati be be lo.

Yeah! you are a absoultely right.We should do away with selfishness and work together as a country.If we are all passionate about the problems in niger-delta,the problem would have been solved!
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by ima1(f): 6:04pm On Sep 07, 2008
shell needs to be stopped, i am doing my part - i will never shop at any shell gas station- they should be responsible for the cleanup and not the govt. its crazy to see that they haven't even done nothing for the people whose land they destroy, while they sit on their rich asses here in the U.S increasing gas prices, they really need to be stopped. and the stupid govt filled with all these theives who want their pockets to be filled up would not even do something. its absolutely outrageous, we need a better govt, because nigeria is a rich country but the people suffer everyday.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by churchmann: 6:07pm On Sep 07, 2008
can someone past us a pic of it for we that are out of the country
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by mustafar1: 6:14pm On Sep 07, 2008
churchmann, u do not need a picture. theres a 28 minute video on the website posted on the first post. and there are pictures on said site as well.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Bhola(f): 6:16pm On Sep 07, 2008
Ima1, good point. I buy Shell gas too. No more. I know its a minute thing, but I will feel better.

Like I said, please pass this around. Let us come together and make sure everyone we know see this movie. I am even going to send it to all my oyinbo friends. Remember, you might not be from Niger Delta, but you are from Nigeria.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Sep 07, 2008
kiwi992:

Hi All,

It fails to amaze me as to how some of our people in this Forum think. 

First of all, with due respects to you 4Play.  However, I just can't get your mentality when you come here to express such sentiments as in saying that 'it is farcical' when it is suggested that Shell should be responsible for the clean-up operations in the Niger Delta. Well, friend, perhaps you need to check up on the meaning of the word farcical.  What is so ridiculous or meaningless about it?  Ridiculous in what form or shape?  That Shell should fix what it broke?     

Please consider these real-life examples:

1.  You hit and damage somebody's car - YOU fix it

Never mind the fact that the car with which you hit the other car in the accident belongs to two people.  The fact is that you were the one driving it at the time, so you must fix it through your own insurance company or privately.  Simple and logical - no need for a Solicitor to confirm it.

2.  You damage something - YOU fix it.

3.  You break something - YOU fix it.

4.  You pollute the environment - YOU clean it up

5.  Shell damages the environment - SHELL cleans-up the environmental damage.

All that is good when you are outside of Nigeria but can you show me where all the above works in Nigeria as you list it should? Shell operates in over 10 countries apart from Nigeria and this sort of problem does not seem to exist in these places. You make it clear yourself that the reason is most likely the government. The people have over decades tried to force the hand of shell into doing the clean up but to no avail. Isn't suggesting they continue to hammer on Shell, telling them to continue doing exactly what we all know has produced little success? How about hammering the people to go after their government to ensure some lasting solution be found in this situation?
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by bawomolo(m): 8:32pm On Sep 07, 2008
Bhola:

Ima1, good point. I buy Shell gas too. No more. I know its a minute thing, but I will feel better.

Like I said, please pass this around. Let us come together and make sure everyone we know see this movie. I am even going to send it to all my oyinbo friends. Remember, you might not be from Niger Delta, but you are from Nigeria.

i don't see how a boycott of shell would stop gas flaring or change environmental regulation in nigeria
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by ima1(f): 8:43pm On Sep 07, 2008
bawomolo:

i don't see how a boycott of shell would stop gas flaring or change environmental regulation in nigeria

it has alot to do with self gratification, its like the more we patronize them, the more they destroy our land, yes it might not stop the situation that is going on right now but it enables you to do your own part, one person cannot make a difference, but one person can initiate change. imagine if everyone decides to boycott shell it will make a huge difference. so making the decision not to shop at shell makes me feel like i am playing a part to help stop gas flaring. its just like going green, now everyone is getting involved.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On Sep 07, 2008
ima1:

it has alot to do with self gratification, its like the more we patronize them, the more they destroy our land, yes it might not stop the situation that is going on right now but it enables you to do your own part, one person cannot make a difference, but one person can initiate change. imagine if everyone decides to boycott shell it will make a huge difference. so making the decision not to shop at shell makes me feel like i am playing a part to help stop gas flaring. its just like going green, now everyone is getting involved.

Why not instead pursue the very solution instead of continuing to deal with the effects? In this case, it is quite clear that the major reason for all the problem down there in the delta is government. Why not have people focus their attention on government for the first time here? You give the green movement example but you fail to mention that the strategy in that situation is to go after the main cause and not try to deal with the effects instead.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by tai2(m): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2008
i
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by bawomolo(m): 8:59pm On Sep 07, 2008
ima1:

lol how do u plan to go green with Internal combustion engines, do u plan to convert your car to an electric vehicle, what about companies like total or chevron that flare too, are u going to boycott them also. it would make more sense to petition the nigerian government to elevate industry standards(if they exist at all). fact remains that the nigerian government has been criticized for it's delay in the funding of the LNG project designed to stop gas flaring. if the nigerian government isn't serious, then why should SHELL be forced to carry the burden.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Bhola(f): 9:06pm On Sep 07, 2008
Bawomolo, it might not stop gas flaring, but I will feel a lot better. Like Ima said, its self gratification.

Kobo, when has anything worked in Nigeria, government-wise? So because the government is corrupt, its an excuse for Shell to continue to flare gas?
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by bawomolo(m): 9:20pm On Sep 07, 2008
Bhola:

Bawomolo, it might not stop gas flaring, but I will feel a lot better. Like Ima said, its self gratification.

and how does self gratification combat the pollution issue. maybe ur oyinbo friends would join in self gratification
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2008
Bhola:

Kobo, when has anything worked in Nigeria, government-wise? So because the government is corrupt, its an excuse for Shell to continue to flare gas?

Can you please point to the exact line where anyone on here has stated that governmental ineptitude is valid excuse for Shell to continue with it's current environmental policy in that country?

If you know that nothing has worked in Nigeria governnment-wise, don't you think this is the best time to start demanding change instead of continuing to run around the same circles and wasting the people's time? If improvement is what the people want, why continue to accept government doling out crap to the same people but feign need for change when it comes to dealing with the companies when we all know that the government is in charge of making sure companies conduct business in such as way as to benefit the people and not hurt them instead??
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Bhola(f): 9:32pm On Sep 07, 2008
Kobo, please tell me how to hold the government accountable. How do we achieve this? Meanwhile, Shell is not the only international company that does business in Nigeria, so how come they apply some rules in other countries and not the same in Nigeria? What has corruption in Nigeria, has to do with their guiding principles? Or they have different guiding principles for each country?

Bawomolo, the keyword is "Self". That means, it makes ME feel good. I am not saying you should boycott, I am not even asking anyone else to do so. I am saying, ME, I will stop buying gas from Shell. Is that clear enough? Thanks, Bro.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Sep 07, 2008
Bhola:

Kobo, please tell me how to hold the government accountable. How do we achieve this? Meanwhile, Shell is not the only international company that does business in Nigeria, so how come they apply some rules in other countries and not the same in Nigeria? What has corruption in Nigeria, has to do with their guiding principles? Or they have different guiding principles for each country?

Apparently shell does not have the same guiding principles it seems. Corruption has tons to do with it. The situation can be dealt with in the same way you advocate the people deal with Shell. Confront government and demand change at all cost ( assuming that is what you mean when you say boycott shell). I have been fortunate to have met a couple of people who got paid by shell some years ago when the courts requested the company do so and even they will tell you that government has a large role to play in this. The company pays millions to the government for various projects in the same region. Apparently the money does not seem to go where they are meant to.  If the government felt concerned about the situation, it would demand change and ensure it happens. The government has a huge role to play here and if it does not, nothing stops the next company from coming in and continuing in the same light.

At some point, the Nigerian people in general will have to deal with the main problem in that country, which is government. All the many problems that exist today is due mainly to lack of good government. Continuing to find salves for each problem will not help as it has not in the past.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by AhM3D(m): 10:28pm On Sep 07, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Apparently shell does not have the same guiding principles it seems. Corruption has tons to do with it. The situation can be dealt with in the same way you advocate the people deal with Shell. Confront government and demand change at all cost ( assuming that is what you mean when you say boycott shell). I have been fortunate to have met a couple of people who got paid by shell some years ago when the courts requested the company do so and even they will tell you that government has a large role to play in this. The company pays millions to the government for various projects in the same region. Apparently the money does not seem to go where they are meant to.  If the government felt concerned about the situation, it would demand change and ensure it happens. The government has a huge role to play here and if it does not, nothing stops the next company from coming in and continuing in the same light.

At some point, the Nigerian people in general will have to deal with the main problem in that country, which is government. All the many problems that exist today is due mainly to lack of good government. Continuing to find salves for each problem will not help as it has not in the past.

u don try, c ingleesh
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 07, 2008
@all

it's sad that our leader's are sitting back watching things go bad.i am sure they are ignorant about the climate change or so called global warming.it is our goverment responsibility to enforce law on enviromental and pollutions issue.

@kiwi
which country do u live and r u a lawyer?

i totally agreed wit u,shell should clean up after their mess but if they dont then our leaders should make them do it.i think we need something like interest group or lobby group, pple that can put pressure on all this coy and on our leaders.without changes on this mess then there's hope 4 future generation's.soon or soonest we'll not be able to swim or drink from our river's anymore not to talk of eathquake or erosion's everywhere even cancer epidemic due to air pollution.i remember going swimining in delta as a kid,this day's am not sure things like that are safe to do, why did they kill sarowiwa?corrupt gov!my pple we can only talk,god 'll pay evryone according to their deed.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by hannydarl(f): 11:11pm On Sep 07, 2008
dont blame shell too much o our chiefs and local govts chairmen and co are behind it all.if shell does the clean up they blame shell for not giving their youths the job when shell hands out the contract the chiefs and other leaders chop the money and do nothing.you need to know the ind of war that goes on in these communities when shell give the leaders money to do some developments they gather and chop the money leaving the poor masses to bear the brunt but if shell decides to give out the contract to real contractors the leaders and so called youth leaders will fight shell for bypassing them to give the contract out.Na we dey kill ourselves
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by mustafar1: 5:31am On Sep 08, 2008
call me crazy but i say bomb threat might work. if u choose to criticize my bomb threat idea, abeg right after u do. plzzzzzz do give an alternative and explain in detail how it might work. I'm not saying my idea would work but its a start.

i notice some things on Nairaland haven't changed. some people tend to see the negative side of other peoples talk yet they don't say their own positives that they seem to think would work. you say we should go after the government. SURE! but go after them in what way. petition, class action lawsuit, protest upon protest upon protest, violence aka blow up something (kidnapping na preschool play), what exactly because so far all I've seen is corrupt govt this corrupt govt that. and when 2011 come, this same corrupt govt activists(im one of them) would be the ones singing the praises of some money miss road who wants to occupy some office.

to those that feel driving past a shell station to the citco next door makes you feel better. abeg carry on. because you're sure doing somn(whether it would work or not is another story) as oppose that fellow thats saying what would that do to stop gas flaring and would not donate his alternative 2cents to counter you idea.

as for me if na shell station get the cheapest gas for my zone, i might as well buy it and save 2cents but i know that wont happen because its sure the opposite.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by bigboyslim(m): 6:04am On Sep 08, 2008
The concept behind this video is no longer news in Nigeria. This has been going on for years and has been reported in news tabloids decades. Capturing the events and the "crime scenes" on video is however a step that could potentially lead to resolution of the problems if viewed by the right audience. There is no doubt in my mind that Shell is fully aware of the consequences of their actions but like every other for profit business entity, they have merely chosen to maximize profit by continuing their operations at the minimum operating cost possible.

The blame once again rests on the circus we have in place of a government in Nigeria. It is evident from the scenario played out in the video that Shell and all other companies engaging in these nonchalant acts have the full backing of the government and the only reason why a government would allow its people to continue to be publicly humiliated and victimized like this by a foreign company is if bribery is involved and who better to be involved in this kind of gluttonous and selfish acts than the people in the nigerian government.

Like kobojunkie has rightly pointed out, there will only be positive change when the gluttonous system of government in Nigeria is eradicated in its entirety.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by MrCrackles(m): 8:50am On Sep 08, 2008
Na wa oooo!
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by slyk2(m): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2008
Why all these shell and killing environment stuff all the time?

something must be wrong with the host communities
and their leaders.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by timbabng(m): 12:21pm On Sep 08, 2008
As if our government gives a damn about anything cry cry
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Ibime(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2008
sly-k:

Why all these shell and killing environment stuff all the time?

something must be wrong with the host communities
and their leaders.

sly-k, if I whoze you ehn. . . .

something must be wrong with your mama toto!
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 08, 2008
ibime

na wa!
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by Ibime(m): 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2008
lemme show him how inflammatory his comments are in equal kind. cool cool
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by vicero(m): 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2008
Death to Shell,
kill all of them,
end their rein in Nigeria
send them out,
they are from hell,
this is a way of looking down on the black man again,
Had it been any of the European countries, the UN would have sactioned them but now, its just some black, unimportant people.
see to hell with the whites,
let them leave us alone.
Re: Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta by debosky(m): 8:05pm On Sep 09, 2008
@ Ibime

don't turn this discussion into a farce, yes the boy made an infantile comment, but to respond is not the solution.

Statistics show that for May, Nigeria flared 50 billion cubic feet of gas, nearly 25% of the gas produced. I wonder why with current high gas prices in the international market, this flaring continues at this stupendous rate - surely monetising the gas cannot be so hard?

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=122007

We do need the FG to put pressure on Shell and the others, but in the end, local communities must continue their fight to stop this destruction.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Release El-Zakzaky, Fayose Tells FG / Military To Re-open Maiduguri-Baga Road December 24 (Pics) / South Africans Want To Colonized Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.