Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,104 members, 7,953,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:05 PM

Abeg O Make Una Helep Me! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Abeg O Make Una Helep Me! (727 Views)

Career Ng. Abeg Make Una Help Me See This One Ooo / Abeg Help A Broda- Mpg Consult / Make Una Helep Me Tanki Baba God For A Zenith Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abeg O Make Una Helep Me! by mikeydre: 11:49pm On Sep 08, 2008
Wetin dey my people ?

I just graduated from a Uni in the UK with a 2.2 in Law. As you can imagine that was quite disappointing for me as I expected better. Any sha, I got a job in a marketing company in their sales division (the pay is shit 16 K Pounds a year, which is nothing here) but I am seriously considering coming home.

From what I have heard a Bachelor's degree is nothing in Naija and I go still struggle find better job, so I have decided to save money and go back to Uni for a masters degree. I plan on doing a Finance postgraduate degree (I am more interested in Finance than Law), I also am in the process of taking my CFA exams here (without being patronizing for those that don't know that stands for Chartered Financial Analyst), I hope to have finished level 3 in the next 18 months, I also will be studying for an IMC (Investment Managers Certificate).

So in 2 years I hope to become a CFA (certificate holder prior to full charter) and have an IMC including a masters degree in Finance and Management (from a good UK uni).

As you can see, I would have garnered no relevant work experience as I have never worked in any finance related jobs.

My question is how will this affect my employment prospects back home ?

I intend to work as an investment analyst or assest manager but every single job offers in assest management firms are looking for people with 5-10 years experience in the industry. Are there no graduate entries in Assest management Firms ?

What do you guys suggest I do as I would be 26 when I finish my Masters and other qualifications.

Finally, with a masters degree and all, how much should I be reasonably expect to receive ??

Sorry for the long winded message, I would appreciate a reply.
Re: Abeg O Make Una Helep Me! by Pennywise(m): 1:35pm On Sep 09, 2008
Hello Mike. I admire you for your vision and preparedness to work towards it. From the way I see it, it is difficult to impress employers of labour in today's Nigeria with foreign degrees no matter how high-sounding. More so when every TDH can sit behind a table and pluck a couple of academic degrees from around the globe without moving an inch.

I think it will help a lot if you can get a place after your academics with any of these asset management firms over there irrespective of position. You can be with them for like 6mths or 1yr. Pay should be secondary to you at this stage. Once you get that on your CV, you can come back home and tell employers what you wouldnt earn. grin
Re: Abeg O Make Una Helep Me! by wisedman10: 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
I agree with pennywise. As much as degrees (regardless of where it was obtained) don't dazzle employers in Nigeria, experience, especially outside this country (UK and USA topping the list) makes them want to find out what you have that made the company offer you a place. So i will advice you try and get a job in an asset management firm, work atleast for a year there. I believe you may reconsider after you have practiced for a year there cos the working conditions there and here is not the same. But if you still want to come back, i bet you, the core asset management companies in Nigeria will scramble for you.
Re: Abeg O Make Una Helep Me! by mikeydre: 11:59pm On Sep 09, 2008
Thanks you guys. Really I don tire for this place, I came here with a plan just to do my undergraduate and come back home but like juju I just find myself postponing it because of my fears that I wouldn't find a decent job in Nigeria. Now I just dey pack degrees like Abacha Pack our money but still I never get gaurantee say things go sure for me. Anyway sha, e go better.

There a very few Assest management firms that would support work permit for international students but I might find a position in a bank. Na to begin fast and pray remain.

(1) (Reply)

Around D Clock Ltd Is Still Recruiting. Please Apply Today (12 Positions) / Free Surveys / Is This Truely Democracy? Watch This Video.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.