Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities (71880 Views)

Someone Should Please Tell Me The Postal Codes Of Apapa-iganmu And Apapa / Postal Codes of Nigerian Cities? / Zip Codes Of Major Cities In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by abyodune: 6:36pm On Sep 10, 2008
i still dont get it,my locality is surulere, someone should please tell me the postal code of surulere, please
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by finiky: 5:56pm On Sep 11, 2008
surulere is 101014
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by whatnext: 6:15pm On Sep 11, 2008
finiky, do you have the codes for the other cities in Lagos and/or Nigeria?

I think that of Ipaja is 100276 100006.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by Mercy4All(m): 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2008
SURULERE - 101014
IPAJA - 100006
i cannot post all Lagos here because i'm on mobile, but tell me the locations you want to know.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by neksummi(m): 8:47pm On Sep 12, 2008
You can go to the nearest post office to you and get all the details.
Many Nigerians actually no little about postal codes. They erroneously write 234 for zip/postal code
when they register for anything online and this is wrong.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by tolubonnke: 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2008
please i want to know the correct zip code for ibadan very urgent please
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by keyremotes(m): 10:22pm On Dec 24, 2008
tolubonnke:

please i want to know the correct zip code for ibadan very urgent please

Hey, Just go to http://www.nipost.gov.ng/Post_offices.aspx and search for your precise post office.
It's that easy.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by InesQor(m): 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2010
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by fasa2020(m): 7:29pm On Jan 28, 2011
InesQor:

Update: Use this link smiley

http://www.nigeriapostcodes.com/views/

Thanks, this works for me like a charm! lol Can't believe my village has postal code, lol
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by Viviacious: 11:24am On Apr 12, 2011
Thanks a lot! Found this very useful. U cant imagine how long I have been searching the internet just for this!
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by montykarl: 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2011
great post.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by Iretia(m): 7:47am On Oct 13, 2011
Error in Nigerian Postcode Data
I did a postcode search on NIPOST’s website[ http://www.nigeriapostcodes.com/views] and discovered that the postcode of Karonwi St in Itire, within Surulere LGA, Lagos is 100281. To my surprise, this postcode is shared by the popular Allen Avenue in Ikeja LGA!!

Could Karonwi St be that close to Allen Ave that makes it possible to share the same postcode?
Well, the answer is a capital NO!!! Visit my blog (http://lagosstreetmap..com/2011/10/error-in-nigerian-postcode-system.html) for more information. See below the map I generated using MapInfo professional showing the crow fly distance between Allen Ave  and Karonwi Street in Itire below.  Karonwi St is approximately 11.3km away from Allen Ave.  The question is how can 2 separate streets that are 11.3km apart share the same postcode? Something is definitely wrong somewhere!!!!

This means that Nigerian postcode data on NIPOST’s website is not consistent, prone to error and is therefore not dependable in my opinion.

I am therefore proposing the following structure for our postcode system.
State + Postal District + LGA + Electoral ward

When fully implemented, Allen Ave’s postcode could therefore look like:
Lagos State+Lagos North+Ikeja LGA+Ikeja North ward

Karonwi St could have a postcode made up of:
Lagos State+Lagos Central+Surulere LGA+ Surulere West ward

I strongly believe that this structure will introduce uniqueness in our postcode system which is an important dependency that must be fulfilled when creating an intelligent address system

The implication of error in Nigerian Postcodes.
We have a number of property search websites developed by some smart and clever Nigerians targeting the Nigerian market such as the www.ip4properties.com.

It would be impossible to develop or implement any meaningful application using Nigerian postcode system in its present state. Without an accurate postcode system, it would be difficult to leverage and milk much value from the SIM registration database that was recently implemented costing several billions of naira!
Oh before I forget, without a proper postcode system, our address system will remain primitive, and our Finance Minister -Okonjo Iweala will continue to decry the dearth of quality data for government to implement good infrastructure plan.

The very resourceful Tech blogger Tim Akinbo had written in his blog (http://blog.timakinbo.com/2010/07/24/nigerian-postcodes-a-case-for-open-data/)  like so many other people about the value chain in opening up this postcode data to the general public, but what data are we talking about here? The same data that gave Itire and Allen Ave the same postcode?

By integrating Nigerian postcode search capabilities, Nigerian websites can provide deep values like www.Zoopla.co.uk Hopefully, the Nigerian Police will one day publish intelligent crime data in a useful format on their website (www.nigeriapolice.org) like www.police.co.uk when they finish re-branding their website.
NIPOST can recoup the cost of developing accurate Nigerian postcode database and maintaining its currency like Royal mail of UK (http://www2.royalmail.com/postcode-finder-sme) by selling accurate and most reliable postcode data to the general public to implement different solutions that will touch the lives of Nigeria in so many meaningful ways.

2 Likes

Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by keyremotes(m): 8:54am On Oct 13, 2011
Iretia:

Error in Nigerian Postcode Data
I did a postcode search on NIPOST’s website[ http://www.nigeriapostcodes.com/views] and discovered that the postcode of Karonwi St in Itire, within Surulere LGA, Lagos is 100281. To my surprise, this postcode is shared by the popular Allen Avenue in Ikeja LGA!!

Could Karonwi St be that close to Allen Ave that makes it possible to share the same postcode?
Well, the answer is a capital NO!!! Visit my blog (http://lagosstreetmap..com/2011/10/error-in-nigerian-postcode-system.html) for more information. See below the map I generated using MapInfo professional showing the crow fly distance between Allen Ave  and Karonwi Street in Itire below.  Karonwi St is approximately 11.3km away from Allen Ave.  The question is how can 2 separate streets that are 11.3km apart share the same postcode? Something is definitely wrong somewhere!!!!

This means that Nigerian postcode data on NIPOST’s website is not consistent, prone to error and is therefore not dependable in my opinion.

I am therefore proposing the following structure for our postcode system.
State + Postal District + LGA + Electoral ward

When fully implemented, Allen Ave’s postcode could therefore look like:
Lagos State+Lagos North+Ikeja LGA+Ikeja North ward

Karonwi St could have a postcode made up of:
Lagos State+Lagos Central+Surulere LGA+ Surulere West ward

I strongly believe that this structure will introduce uniqueness in our postcode system which is an important dependency that must be fulfilled when creating an intelligent address system

The implication of error in Nigerian Postcodes.
We have a number of property search websites developed by some smart and clever Nigerians targeting the Nigerian market such as the www.ip4properties.com.

It would be impossible to develop or implement any meaningful application using Nigerian postcode system in its present state. Without an accurate postcode system, it would be difficult to leverage and milk much value from the SIM registration database that was recently implemented costing several billions of naira!
Oh before I forget, without a proper postcode system, our address system will remain primitive, and our Finance Minister -Okonjo Iweala will continue to decry the dearth of quality data for government to implement good infrastructure plan.

The very resourceful Tech blogger Tim Akinbo had written in his blog (http://blog.timakinbo.com/2010/07/24/nigerian-postcodes-a-case-for-open-data/)  like so many other people about the value chain in opening up this postcode data to the general public, but what data are we talking about here? The same data that gave Itire and Allen Ave the same postcode?

By integrating Nigerian postcode search capabilities, Nigerian websites can provide deep values like www.Zoopla.co.uk Hopefully, the Nigerian Police will one day publish intelligent crime data in a useful format on their website (www.nigeriapolice.org) like www.police.co.uk when they finish re-branding their website.
NIPOST can recoup the cost of developing accurate Nigerian postcode database and maintaining its currency like Royal mail of UK (http://www2.royalmail.com/postcode-finder-sme) by selling accurate and most reliable postcode data to the general public to implement different solutions that will touch the lives of Nigeria in so many meaningful ways.

Can you convert this finding into a code?
That is the bottom line.

No body will because of Nigeria change the post code rules and begin to use this sort of long hand.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by Iretia(m): 10:28am On Oct 13, 2011
keyremotes:

Can you convert this finding into a code?
That is the bottom line.

No body will because of Nigeria change the post code rules and begin to use this sort of long hand.

Actually, I think it is a lot easier than it sounds provided NIPOST is sincere about the unreliablity of the current postcode system and they really wish to improve on this and make it more intelligent.

The first thing they need to do is to develop a strategy for a comprehensive address system. This strategy will provide clarification on things like, how do we map individual streets to the different postcode polygons? What is the targeted confidence level and how this can be attained? How will the data be updated and maintained going forward?

They also need to start thinking of business use cases for investing in this. This will help them develop a commercial focus and monetise the data.
I have the requisite skills, professional experience, the map data and the technology to undertake a pilot project and create consistent postcode data covering every single street in Lagos with no obligation from NIPOST. It is my firm believe that this would demonstrate to NIPOST that this project is attainable for the whole Nigeria. The question is, does this strategy interests NIPOST enough?
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by Ecash1: 1:48pm On Jul 28, 2012
You can find it here : http://nigeriazipcodes.com/455/lagos-state-zip-code-map/

Although we can doubt the reliability as " Iretia " noted, I think it is a stepping stone to order.
Re: Postal Codes Of Nigerian Cities by hubreality(m): 3:49pm On Sep 02, 2012
The Nigeria zip code portal of Nipost has it all including the local area codes @ http://www.nipost.gov.ng/PostCode.aspx

(1) (Reply)

Understanding The Basic Principle Of Generating Income Online / Ifeanyi Ubah's Car Gift To Ikechukwu Emeka Onyia's Wife (Photos) / Minted #100,000 Cash Becomes Heavily Wet Up By Itself In My Bag Overnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.