Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? (1845 Views)

Should Abortion Be Illegal In Nigeria? / Having An Abortion: 95% Of Women Don't Regret It - Time Magazine / Should Abortion Be Legalised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by elozino: 7:07pm On Sep 11, 2008
i think it should be made a criminal offence, since it is
the killing removal of an unborn baby from the mother's womb

the unborn baby, i think also has a right to life.

so nairalanders what do ya'all think bout this
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by idupaul: 7:08pm On Sep 11, 2008
the unborn baby, i think also has a right to life.

has the right to life to come and do what?
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by richdadeze(m): 9:52am On Sep 12, 2008
I my own opinion, what we should be asking is the type of punishment should be given to anyone that aborts a baby. And I think, the best punishment is death sentence because whosoever that aborts is a murderer. The bible says that whosoever that killeth by the sword shall die by the sword, and whosoever diggeth a pit shall fall into the pit.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by elozino: 12:53pm On Sep 12, 2008
i absolutely second
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by Sissy3(f): 6:13am On May 01, 2009
isn't abortion illegal in nigeria?
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by drucheGoD(m): 6:56am On May 01, 2009
~Sissy~:

isn't abortion illegal in nigeria?

Thank you my Sissy! wink Abortion has for long been declared illegal in Naija. The bigger issue, however, is the structure of the law that prohibits the act. It prescribes a prison sentence not only for those caught performing unnecessary abortions but also for any woman caught soliciting or engaging in the act. shocked Framing the law in this manner completely makes no sense and is rather counter-productive to its end, as no woman will ever admit to having an abortion, no matter what (unless she wan follow the quack doctor enter kirikiri). IMO, it would be a lot safer legalizing abortion than maintaining this outdated relic of a law, which has only succeeded in driving the hundreds of thousands of women who voluntarily undergo abortions annualy in Naija to quacks and charlatans! BTW, the only person who has been convicted for the crime of abortion in Naija is the same person who strictly enforces the abortion laws in Naija,,,Mr/Officer NOBODY!!! grin
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by ifele(m): 5:31pm On May 04, 2009
Abortion should be illegal. Unborn babies have the right to live.

There is a legalized form of abortion in the U.S called partial birth abortion.

While the baby head it still in the vagina. it has been "made permissible" to abort(kill) the baby.

Imagine a full grown baby being killed by shoving a pair of scissors into the back of its neck.

Abortion is just a cover-up word. They are killing, really killing millions of babies worldwide. It an unholy war.

Do what you can to stop abortion(murder).
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:28am On May 05, 2009
most fanatics (anti abortionist) would say that abortion is murder.
So first let’s see what the Word of God says on this matter:
In the Old Testament, a law was stated clearly from the Children of Israel after they came out of Egypt.
"If, when men come to blows, they hurt a woman who is pregnant and she suffers a miscarriage, though she does not die of it, the man responsible must pay the compensation demanded of him by the woman’s master; he shall hand it over, after arbitration. But should she die, you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot". (Exodus 21:22-24, Jerusalem Bible)

In other words, if you cause the death of the fetus, you merely pay a fine; if you cause the death of the woman, you lose your own life. Thus, the Bible clearly shows that a fetus is not considered a person. If the fetus were considered to be a person, then the penalty for killing it would be the same as for killing the woman – death.
These verses in Exodus, by the way, are backed up by four thousand years of Jewish law; abortion has never been considered murder in Jewish law. A fetus is only a potential person.

Then i am sure that you anti-abortionist would say that LIFE begins as soon as a woman is pregnant.

NO IT DOESN'T!!!
  Life begins before conception. The sperm is alive and the ovum is alive – long before they get together at the moment of fertilization. As one great doctor said, “Life does not begin at conception; it is only changed and now has the potential for a different form.” If terminating life is murder, then the anti-abortionist should be consistent and say that terminating the life of the egg or sperm is murder too, contraception/masturbation etc.

Then YOU anti-abortionist might say that If the embryo is a potential person, shouldn’t it be treated the same way as a full-fledged person?
of course NOT! An acorn is not an oak, a seed is not a rose, an embryo is not a human being. Nowhere in the Bible is the embryo or fetus given the status of a human being. Personhood does not begin at conception.
The Bible indicates that personhood begins when a baby emerges from the mother’s womb. In the Bible and in modern life, birthdays are observed on the date of the baby’s emergence from the womb. The precise moment of the beginning of personhood is when the baby takes its first breath because that’s when God infuses the baby with a soul. Genesis 2:7 says: “And the Lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.” In other words, when an infant breathes its first breath, the soul enters its body and it achieves the status of person.

then you might say that god wants every foetus to grow into a person.
well, not according to the Bible. In Ecclesiastes 6:3, God compares the rich man who has led an empty foolish life with a still-born infant and says, “it would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” The world is better off without Judases and Hitlers and Charles Mansons – who quite often begin life unwanted, grow up abused and hated, and then take out their anger on society. How many psychopaths and destructive misfits will be born if anti-abortionist force women to bear unwanted children?

The main motivation for anti-abortionists is revenge. They want to see pregnant mothers suffer the consequences of their actions/sin. I have seen the evil gleam of vengeance in the anti abortionists’ eyes as they say, “She had her fun; now she has to pay the price!!!!”
When the mob wanted to stone the woman who had committed adultery, Jesus said, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” (John 8:7) I’m afraid that if Jesus were to repeat those words today, these self-righteous hypocrites would pick up stones and smash the poor girls who have been guilty of making a mistake. Stoning is not far from what these fanatics are in fact trying to do today. They are not so much pro-life as they are pro-vengeance. Their stones are these cruel words: “You must have that baby!”
To the woman who says, “I have seven children already,” the fanatics reply, “You must have that baby!”
To the woman who says, “I was raped,” the fanatics reply, “You must have that baby!”
To the woman who says, “My doctor says I will die if I have this baby,” the fanatics reply, “You must have that baby!”
You must have that baby – words of stone, crueler than the stones hurled at sinners in Jesus’ day by self righteous Pharisees.

then you would probably say that a person SHOULD suffer the consequences of their wrongdoing.
yes, but if the girl wants to go ahead and have the baby, fine; but she shouldn’t be FORCED to have it. Why? Because the one who will suffer the most is NOT the mother but the child. Unwanted, unloved children are frequently abused, and they often grow up to become delinquents and criminals. Then society is made to suffer, as well. The “punishment” of the mother is enormously out of proportion to the so called “crime.”

you would then say: Shouldn’t a woman who has had an abortion feel some amount of shame?

No,why should she!? there is no need for her to hang her head in shame. She is showing respect for life and devotion to God when she says, “Life is too precious for me to bring a child into the world at this time. I want to wait until I have the money or the emotional resources to be a good mother.”

final point:

I BELIEVE THAT ABORTION IS THE CHRISTIAN AND HUMANE ALTERNATIVE.
I BELIEVE THAT GOD WANTS US TO BRING INTO THIS WORLD ONLY THE NUMBER OF CHILDREN WHICH WE CAN ADEQUATELY TAKE CARE OF.
I BELIEVE THAT GOD HAS GIVEN US THIS SAFE SURGICAL  PROCEDURE AS A GIFT TO HOLD DOWN THE POPULATION IN A WORLD THAT IS CHOKED WITH TOO MANY PEOPLE AND NOT ENOUGH FOOD, A WORLD FILLED WITH UNWANTED CHILDREN.
I AM THANKFUL TO GOD FOR ABORTION. ANYONE WHO READS THE BIBLE WITH AN OPEN MINDED, AND MORE IMPORTANT, AN OPEN HEART, WILL SEE THAT OUR HEAVENLY FATHER WANTS QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY, FOR HIS CHILDREN.
AMEN!!!!

ps, bits and pieces taken from the essay of a very wise man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by mntpaul(m): 4:47am On May 06, 2009
How about a case of someone's wife who is raped by a gang of men.
How about a case of a young child who is raped by a relative such as a father or uncle.
How about a case of chosing between a fetus to live or a mother to live during pregnancy because of complications.

I think all women should have the right to choose themselves about aborting. Who am I to tell your wife or sister to have the baby of a rapist. Or to die giving birth to a child.

One solution to cut down on abortions is to teach that its ok to masturbate, MouthAction, and maybe for some religions to start preaching about protected sex. I bet that might cut down on the number of abortions.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by platinumnk(f): 8:12pm On May 06, 2009
no
they have too many motherless kids on the streets
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by akman(m): 8:26pm On May 16, 2009
people whyz u all exerting so much strength on dis topic, abortions is and has alwaz bin an offence in 9ja except if don to save d life of the moda, and such life must really be in grave nd apparent danger.
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by Ejadamen(f): 12:23am On May 17, 2009
richdadeze:

I my own opinion, what we should be asking is the type of punishment should be given to anyone that aborts a baby. And I think, the best punishment is death sentence because whosoever that aborts is a murderer. The bible says that whosoever that killeth by the sword shall die by the sword, and whosoever diggeth a pit shall fall into the pit.
elozino:

i absolutely second
angry trust that it will be men that will say punish abortion with death sentence. Who the hell are you to judge?

All this talk of abortion being illegal, it is happening a dozen a day if y'all don't know. I applaud Mr Brown Jay for his reasons, they sound clean and logical. Forget silly emotions, you just cannot force your own opinion on women or girls. I say if a lady wants to have an abortion it is HER choice whatever the reason.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 10:30am On May 17, 2009
Is anything Illegal In Nigeria?
@Topic,NO. wont even bother with reasons,so many "were mushin" here tongue
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by kathyekiti: 6:16pm On May 17, 2009
Just out of curiosity, what will be the punishment for a man who conceives a child and refuses to take care of it leading the mother to an abortion? I suggest the death sentence.  He would be an accessory to murder.  How about if the child is the result of rape or incest? Death to all parties involved.  Why stop there?  jail sentences for any body who has any sexually transmitted infections as they could have conceived a child which would be unwanted and they would have tried to have an abortion.  Attempted murder jail sentences for those people would be appropriate. In fact any evidence of premarital sex should be prosecuted to the max.  As for the bible quotations, I have some; judge not so as not to be judged.  Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  Remove the beam in your eye etc.

@ifele
Your last statement was do what you can to stop abortion. It is a beautiful statement. Kudos. How many kids have you adopted?
Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by Ejadamen(f): 7:06pm On May 17, 2009
kathyekiti:

Just out of curiosity, what will be the punishment for a man who conceives a child and refuses to take care of it leading the mother to an abortion? I suggest the death sentence. 
Abeg help me ask them. It's only the woman they will remember to punish as if she climbed on top of herself.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Made A Criminal Offence In Nigeria? by shadegirl: 1:32pm On May 18, 2009
I will suggest that any man that refused his responsibility on the pregnancy should be sentenced to death first.

(1) (Reply)

17 Ways To Wake Up Feeling Fresh In The Morning / When Is The Best Time To Get a woman Pregnant.is It After Or B4 Menses? / Tired Of Migraine Headaches ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.