Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,228 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' (3382 Views)

Is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical? / "is The Word Of Faith Movement Biblical?" / Between Pentecostalism And Word Of Faith Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by 4getme1(m): 8:15pm On Jul 05, 2006
What's Actually The Problem With The 'WOF' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel'?

Everyone is suspicious these days about what 'brand' of Christianity people follow. There's an uneasy feeling about what group one belongs to, and the appellations are diverse and numerous. Especially in the last days, there's been so many warnings in Scripture about people bringning in new and perverted 'gospels' and believers ought to beware and steer clear.

This thread raises a concern as to the Word of Faith movement within the Christian confession - is its mesage legitimate as a sound confession of Christianity, especially with its central theme and emphasis on "Prosperity Gospel"? What do readers really think about the Prosperity Gospel?
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by beyonce1(f): 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2006
I am just being made aware of this now, but quite *CURIOUS* to know what they r about anyway ,
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Seun(m): 11:01pm On Jul 05, 2006
Word of Faith, also known as Word-Faith or simply Faith, is a movement within Pentecostal and charismatic churches worldwide. Its central doctrine is that health and prosperity are promised to all believers, and are available through faith. For this reason, it has also become known as "Health and Wealth", although this is a term usually applied pejoratively by its critics. Other names, reflecting major aspects of the movement, include "Name it and claim it", "The Prosperity Gospel", and "Positive Confession".

Word-Faith teachings trace their roots to E. W. Kenyon (1867-1948), a New England evangelical pastor who taught that health and finances were the right of every believer who would claim the promises of Scripture through faith. Claiming promises was done by believing and verbally confessing the relevant scriptures, and thus Kenyon coined the phrase, "What I confess, I possess."

Pentecostal preacher Kenneth Hagin (1917-2003), of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was heavily influenced by Kenyon's writings, and began teaching the same doctrines as early as the 1930s. Hagin is often referred to as being the "father" of the modern Word-Faith movement. He elaborated on Kenyon's theology of confession, preaching a four-part formula for receiving God's promises: "Say it; do it; receive it; tell it."

Other preachers in Tulsa were mentored by "Dad" Hagin, and began to preach the same doctrines. The most prominent of these is Kenneth Copeland. Others include Creflo Dollar, Frederick K.C. Price, Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, Marilyn Hickey, Rod Parsley, Jesse Duplantis, Oral Roberts, Joyce Meyer, John Avanzini and Keith Butler, among others. Many of these pastors appear regularly on Trinity Broadcasting Network, whose founders and directors Paul and Jan Crouch are also proponents of the Word-Faith doctrine.

Teachings

* Healing
* Little 'gods'
* Prosperity
* Faith & confession
* Jesus died spiritually

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_faith
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by 4getme1(m): 8:20am On Jul 06, 2006
Seun, many thanks for helping out. I didn't have the time last night before leaving my office; and I'll try and follow through with a few others. Thanks also for re-arranging the layout of the thread - good job.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Rottweiler(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2006
Seun:

Word-Faith teachings trace their roots to E. W. Kenyon (1867-1948), a New England evangelical pastor who taught that health and finances were the right of every believer who would claim the promises of Scripture through faith.

The same way we are told that the basic things of life (water, electricity, good road, education, medical facilities, security) are the right of every Nigerian but we don't get them.

Seun you have done a good research, but the question is WHERE STANDETH THOU?
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Shinor(m): 10:53am On Jul 06, 2006
Seun thanks for taking time out to do a little research on the topic. As with most things in life, people will believe what they want to believe, for various reasons. Even in the time of Jesus, there was a school of thought that leaned heavily towards the "hard road"as exemplified by John the Baptist. The bible said he ate locusts and wild honey and only dressed in outfits made of Camel hair. Jesus however was of a "lenient" disposition. But at no time did Jesus say that because John lived a hard life he was more worthy of heaven or that because he Jesus lived a more comfortable lifestyle(when compared to John) that he was not a believer.
Infact both of them testified of one another, Jesus calling John the greatest born of woman. While John said he was unworthy to untie the laces of Jesus' sandals.
My submission is as long as we live, there will be "different brands" so to speak of the gospel but What is the underlying element? JESUS IS LORD.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by 4getme1(m): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2006
@Shinor,

While appreciating your reasoning, I don't think the Gospel of Jesus Christ leaves room for the notion of "different brands" - because that is the very idea that the Lord and the apostles ever fought against. So, I hope you were not submitting that it's just about okay to live with any kind of brand of a gospel. Paul refuted and rejected anything that would sully, subvert or pervert the glorious Gospel of the Lord -

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed" (Gal. 1:8 ).

Jude took the same stance -

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (Jude 3).

The apsotles John (2 John 10) and Peter (2 Pet. 2:1) also kept these serious warnings of "brands" of the faith before the saints. And all these would seem to stem from the fact that the Lord Jesus gave several warnings about various efforts of men to undermine the Gospel -

"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. (Mat 24:11-12).
----------------------------------------------------------

There may be a few things that are unarguably acceptable in the WOF movement - as many of them attest to the clear message of the Gospel - salvation comes by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone (Acts 4:12). However, it is in the application in teaching that a whole lot of concerns begin to arise. Not only should we be careful about what is being preached; but we are exhorted to be careful how we apply what is being preached to us - whichis the principle the Lord actually put before us:

"And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear. . . What is written in the law? how readest thou?"
     (Matt. 4:24; Luke 10:26).

However, there are whole issues that the WOF movement propagate that are hardly taught in God's word; such as the teaching that men are little god's (the same as God Himself, but just that man is a small "g"wink; and that Jesus died spiritually (that is, he took upon himself the very nature of Satan and died spiritually in order to be born again before offering salvation to us). I have tried look these up in the Bible, and there just is no place where such things are taught.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Shinor(m): 2:09pm On Jul 06, 2006
4get me. Thanks for your submission. Totally agree with all you said. Just used "different brands" as in a difference in liturgy, approach etc. As you will find in my last words, absolute faith in God and in the lordship of Jesus is the most essential thing. Thanks once more.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by 4getme1(m): 2:47pm On Jul 06, 2006
I should rather be thanking you for your input. God bless.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Eurphoria(f): 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2006
Ok this is where i stand and i am a christain and my view is in no way anti -religion. I am actually a practicing pentecostal.

Now the PROSPERITY GOSPEL as taught by many churches is something one has to be very careful of, i personaly would not go to any church that uses this topic as a central theme or a means to draw people into their congregation. Why? because first of all, anyone preaching this day in day out and is constantly resounded in the ears of their congregation is ;
1. deviating form the teachings of christ,
2.Taking the focus away from GOd and making ''the 'self' central
3.Deceiving the people, i say this because i have heard some of these sermons and the presentation is such that it heightens emotions in the people, gets them to a 'high' as a result you see SUNDAYSUNDAY CHRISTAINITY. There is no substance , people are not taught  the Bible principles.
4.Too much focus on prosperity(which is understood by the people as worldly goods) instead of the biblical prosperity of Love, compassion, Joy, Peace.

I am not saying you can't be comfortable or rich as a christain but i see people using some churches as a quick fix and this is sad very sad. Church is not a Babalawo centre

Anyone who says come to me and i will give you the key to prosperity(riches) without telling you that there are conditions for this is a LIAR. In the Bible it says , God blesses all who fear, love, and above all OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS,COMMANDS will have anything they ask for.

So taking out the bit where God says, for instant don't serve any other god except me,or love all like yourself, do not fornicate, no adultry,coveteousness, is preaching what people want to hear and compromising real teachings for the sake of building either a superchurch(with capacity of thousands every sunday) or for self- adulation. They read out bits of the bible where is says what they want you to hear and ,leave out the bits where God states the conditions or requirements, if someone gives you a verse in the bible, go check what the verses before and after say and get a full understanding to prevent being deceived.

There is no such thing as Prosperity Gospel in the bible and anyone teaching it is a fraud.

I love God,I beleive in Jesus , i try to live good(its a struggle), but i will not be deceived by such teachings.

peace
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Sunlord(m): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2006
I must confess dt dx s quite a gud avenue to acquire knowledge n 2 get acquainted with the latest happenins.God bless d brain behind dx idea! Back 2 d subject matter; I believe as Christians, we just need to sincerely n genuinely consult our Bible for guidance n direction even as d Holy Spirit grants us understanding. Remain blessed!
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by thimbook2(m): 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2006
seun, that was a good job on the Word-of-faith movement. really a lovely synopsis. the only thing i find unnerving (and with this i am really addressing other pentecostals in particular) is that ever so slowly and ever so insidously strange teachings have crept into the core teachings of the gospel.

Reawakened christianised notions finding expression and being so well blended into the mix of what is fed the ignorant sheep. And its so pervasive that successive generations of leaders are raised on such stuff so that they wouldn't even know the truth if they saw it.

i'm not gonna make any bones about the fact that the Christ himself was a non-conformist, not a fanatic but a radical through and through; and the gospel he brought was that of the redeeming tidings and new life possibilities of the Lord God who was & is Creator and would not pander to the whims of his creation. compassionate - fine! understanding - fine!! but in no way customisable.

So its funny when u hear the glossed over theosophical gleanings of eastern mystic ideologies glossed over and presented to ignorant masses. terms are used and thrown about with other ancient deep meanings to them or new-fangled new angle narcisttic connotations while the teeming masses of christendom are more or less hyped to building their heavens on earth.

Its a circus really and a lot of it could be found in the pentecostal circles. as per the doctrinal issues themselves, ha, (yawn) lets leave taht for another day or hopefully thread. I would just want to observe that though the average christian would be quick to remember that "No weapon fashioned agianst them shall prosper" few would ever count deception a weapon or seduction to ever more worldly and dilutted standards.

As for the boys in the kingdom downstairs and their father below, i guess it wont be long be their d-day and 15miniutes of fame comes.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by 4getme1(m): 10:09am On Jul 08, 2006
Well, these things don't take God by surprise and He's definitely not looking for quick fixes for His own. In the Bible, we have warnings that such teachings will insidiously creep in, and they would find wide acceptance among even committed Christians. Paul said in Acts 20:27-31 >>

'For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.'

The keyword there is 'watch' - we should watch out for these things; and we can only get to recognise and avoid these teachings in proportion to our prayerfully spending time in God's word (reading, studying, meditating, and obeying). Col. 3:16 puts it this way:

'Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.'
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by boladonas(m): 2:19pm On Jul 09, 2006
[color=#000099][/color]
I am very new in here and this is my first posting, and its been very interesting reding on the WOF debate especially seun's history and how he stopped at Hagin/Creflo Dollar etc without bringing it home here to Archbishop Benson Idahos, Bishops Oduyemi, Oyedepo et al.

The Word of faith gospel is real and true and am a good beneficiary of its prosperity and health messages. Nevertheless, I acknowledged the excesses in our nation and the recklessness of its propagation against hardwork, diligence, and the substitution of responsibility with profitability.

The word of faith gospel is not individualistic, it is actually selfless cos u re blessed to be a blessing, and overcoming by the word of faith is a function of 3 factors, We overcome by the blood of the lamb, the word of our testimonies AND NOT LOVING OUR LIVES EVEN UNTO DEATH,

I think it is high time we all take personal responsibility for our beliefs, study the word of God deeply enough to be able to distinguish charlatans from real practitioners of word of Faith.

Mike Mudock's book helped me a lot, I read God's generals also nd in all humility i ve read the Bible 15 times already.

In conclusion, if you diligently belief the WOF gospel is true, real and verifiable; but you have to be mindful of fraudsters masquerading as preachers.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Enigma(m): 10:01am On Jul 31, 2006
The Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel is a terrible deception and vomit of Satan.

And @ d last poster, Mike Murdock is, IMO, no better than a con-man and thief promoting psycho-babble (and at best some long-known self-help methods) to suck money from people. Google his name; when finished google 'word faith movement'.

This is not to say that many people unfortunately caught up in Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel churches are not true Christians, just that they are caught in deception and the truth of the Gospel is being denied to them in many respects by pathological liars, thieves, egomaniacal and diabolical people at the top of the Word of Faith movement and at the top of many of these prosperity "gospel" churches. angry angry angry sad angry
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by tray1: 2:58am On Nov 03, 2006
Yes this topic has bothered me so that I began wonder if others feel the way I do, or am I missing something. Please read my personal experience with the Prosperity Gospel at
http://www.prosperitygospel.net/showthread.php?tid=1
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Drusilla(f): 5:20am On Nov 03, 2006
There is no such thing as Prosperity Gospel in the bible and anyone teaching it is a fraud.

Euphoria. Amen.

The Word of Faith/Prosperity Gospel is a terrible deception and vomit of Satan.

Enigma. Amen.

I think it is high time we all take personal responsibility for our beliefs, study the word of God deeply enough to be able to distinguish charlatans from real practitioners of word of Faith.

Boladonas, Consider this.

God said that the church would be in apostacy in the last days. Listening only to things that tickled their ears and refusing sound teachings.

Do you think the apostacy would be something like telling the the church that the urshers are going to bring up some cocaine and lets all snort it and become witches?

Of course not.

That type of obvious apostacy would not lead any christian into apostacy.

So the apostacy would have to be what Paul calls in Galatians chapte 1 verse 7 ____a perversion of the gospel of Jesus Christ_____.

You understand what I am saying? The apostacy that fools people will have to seemingly have a biblical basis, something that doesn't cause people to become immeadiately alarmed and walk out.

Quoting biblical ideas out of context, teaching beliefs with small twists, [b]is of course the only way that the apostacy could come.

Thus, whatever you find to make it seem as if the bible supports prosperity gospel, doesn't vouch for prosperity gospels truth but is just the only way that false doctrines can get in the church, a little bit of twisting and turning is what would have to take place, for something to make it into the church unnoticed.

A peversion of Christianity as Paul says, not an outright denial of Christianity but something to pollute it.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by ronmevartt: 4:11am On Jan 29, 2011
Vs. 5 "SUPPOSING THAT GAIN IS GODLINESS: FROM SUCH WITHDRAW THYSELF"

1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and
consent not to wholesome words, even the
words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the
doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but
doting about questions and strifes of words,
whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil
surmisings,
1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt
minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing
that gain is godliness: from such withdraw
thyself.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is
great gain.
1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world
and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be
therewith content.
1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into
temptation and a snare, and into many foolish
and hurtful lusts, which drown men in
destruction and perdition.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil:
which while some coveted after, they have erred
from the faith, and pierced themselves through with
many sorrows.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Joagbaje(m): 1:10pm On Jan 29, 2011
There is no such thing as the word of faith movement. The spoken word of God is word of faith

Romans 10:8
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee,[ even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

1 Timothy 4:6
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good [/b]doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

It is religious sceptics that coined the movement part for those who teach this truth.  The word of God is the word of faith. Word of faith means to speak faith filled words. Using the instrumentality of the word of God by faith .

We Got saved by making a confession by word of faith

[b]Romans 10:10

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made [/b]unto salvation.

[b] 2 Corinthians 4:13

13* We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

So word of faith is simply the use of faith filled words. Jesus said a man can speak to a mountain by faith . Those who don't understand it labeled it as a movement because the church walked in darkness of this truth for several until awareness of it came alive again. But it has always been in the word of God. We change situations by speaking faith filled words.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by Joagbaje(m): 1:28pm On Jan 29, 2011
Luke 4:18
18-"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me; he has appointed me to preach Good News to the poor; he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted and to announce that captives shall be released and the blind shall see, that the downtrodden shall be freed from their oppressors, and that God is ready to give blessings to all who come to him."

There is no prosperity gospel. The gospel is a gospel of prosperity. Prosperity is not about money, it's a total Package of a life of dominion in christ, over sin, demons,sickness, death and poverty. It's a life of completeness. That's what the gospel brought. Finance is only a little part. Divine Health is prosperity . Success in life is prosperity. God didn't create anyone a failure. Most religious people see money as prosperity as Money. Money is only a small part.

2 Corinthians 8:9
9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich. 

The reason a chritian should have money is to serve God with it and be a blessing to others. It is not the idea of drinking tea with golden cup. Prosperty and wealth for the Christian is different from materialism. Even though you can get anything you want by faith, it's not everything we go for.

1 Corinthians 6:12
12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:51pm On Jan 29, 2011
The Gospel of Prosperity

"Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you" (Romans 1:10)

This mention of the word "prosperous" is the first of the only four occurrences of the Greek word enodoo (meaning literally "good journey," but translated "prosper" or "prosperous"wink in the New Testament.  Here it is actually rendered "prosperous journey".

It is obvious that Paul was not praying for his journey to prosper financially, for the next verse indicates his long desire had been to "impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established" (Romans 1:11).

However, the word has come to include any kind of prospering, as in I Corinthians 16:2, when Paul urged Christians to provide financial help for other Christians in need. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him," he said.

The term can also refer to physical and spiritual health.  Its two other occurrences are in III John 2.  "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." Unfortunately, certain teachers of these latter days have taken the Biblical teaching of spiritual prosperity to mean financial prosperity, which they teach is the right of every Christian.  But this "prosperity gospel" is so clearly unscriptural that it is merely a testimony to the cupidity of the Christians who believe it.  "They that |desire to| be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts," warned Paul (I Timothy 6:9).  And to whatever extent God does prosper us financially, it is strictly for the purpose of helping others, not to indulge ourselves.  "Charge them that are rich in this world, that . . . they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute . . ." (I Timothy 6:17-18). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by ronmevartt: 6:47pm On Jan 29, 2011
We did not get eternal salvation by making a "confession". Romans 10:9 for one is talking to believers who live daily by "FAITH". If you would study the words saved and salvation in Romans 10:9-10 you would discover they mean deliver, protect, heal, preserve, do well, make whole. Over 90% of the words saved and salvation in the New Testament are referring to being saved from things here on earth. Where the Bible refers to eternal salvation it clearly states that. What proves this is: Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Just because you confess Jesus as Lord means nothing unless you have FAITH, and faith without works (God's Will) is DEAD. If you look at Rom 10:14
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
How could anyone who does not "Believe or have Faith" call on the name of the Lord to think they would be saved. The Romans Road to Salvation is an out of context lie, and it doesn't tell the whole Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

G4982 SAVED (Rom 10:9)
σώζω
sōzō
sode'-zo
From a primary word σῶς sōs̄ (contraction for the obsolete σάος saos, “safe”); to save, that is, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): - heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole.

G4991 SALVATION (Rom 10:10)
σωτηρία
sōtēria
so-tay-ree'-ah
Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally): - deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by ronmevartt: 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2011
What my previous article also proves by the Word of God is that a person can speak all they want the Word of God and it does not make God move one way or the other. We are to have faith in God's Word, dying daily to self, and doing His Will which was determined before the foundation of the world. God Knew us and called us for His purpose and good pleasure before we were even formed in the womb. If a person believes he or she commands God by God's Word then they believe they are god and have not given their life to Jesus Christ to ONLY DO HIS WILL, just as Jesus said and did repeatedly.
Re: The 'Word Of Faith' Movement And 'Prosperity Gospel' by ronmevartt: 3:02am On Jan 30, 2011
The 'Word Of Faith' Movement
&
The Roman Road to Salvation

We did not get eternal salvation by making a "confession". You can't
confess Faith, because Faith is an action! Demons confessed Jesus
as God, and are they eternally saved? Matt 8:29, Jas 2:19

Romans 10:9 is talking to believers who live daily by "FAITH". If you would study the words saved and salvation in Romans 10:9-10 you would discover they mean: deliver, protect, heal, preserve, do well, make whole. Where the Bible refers to eternal salvation it clearly states that. Confessing with your mouth, not being mixed with true faith and the works of the Holy Spirit, cannot bring eternal salvation.

Matt 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth (confession), and honoureth me with their lips (confession); but their heart is far from me. Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Just because you confess Jesus as Lord means nothing unless you have FAITH, and faith without works (God's Will) is DEAD!
(James 2:17).

Matt 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak
good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth
speaketh.
Matt 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart
bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil
treasure bringeth forth evil things.
Matt 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall
speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Matt 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Can you see how people confess Jesus Christ, but their heart being evil brings out evil things. God's treasure is His Son Jesus, the Word of God. So say whatever you want, but if Jesus, the Word/Works are not in you then whatever you say are meaningless words of no effect. We have always been saved, justified, and received salvation by Faith. Faith alone makes us justified. Having Faith is doing His will, you can't speak Scriptures to try and move God to do what you want. Confessing the Word doesn't make Him change His predestined plan.

Getting back to The Roman Road to Salvation

If you look at Rom 10:14
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

How could anyone who does not "Believe or have Faith" call on the name of the Lord to think they would be saved? Verse 14 makes it clear only a believer who has trusted by faith in Jesus Christ can call on Jesus name for help (Physical Salvation/Saved). How can someone who doesn't believe call on the name of the Lord Jesus?
This clearly shows verses 9 and 10 are for "BELIEVERS".

Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

To believe is the same as faith, it's doing God's will, and obedient to God's Word/Jesus.

The Roman Road to Salvation (verses out of context, put together by men) are a lie, and don't tell the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (refer to Matt 15:9) concerning eternal life. Look at the definitions for saved and salvation mentioned in Romans 10:9-10
They aren't speaking about "eternal life".

G4982 SAVED (Rom 10:9)
σώζω
sōzō
sode'-zo
From a primary word σῶς sōs̄ (contraction for the obsolete σάος saos, “safe”); to save, that is, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): - heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole.

G4991 SALVATION (Rom 10:10)
σωτηρία
sōtēria
so-tay-ree'-ah
Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally): - deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.

Think about this. There is no example in God's Word in which a man spoke the written word of God (or repeated it) to bring about God's will. The reason is clear why we can't, because unless you are God you don't know what His will is, until He alone reveals that to you. Jesus came only to do the will of the Father, just as we are to only do His will: Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

He chose us, predestined us, and called us for His purpose.

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the
foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame
before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by
Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will,
according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might
gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven,
and which are on earth; even in him:
Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

A person can recite scriptures over and over and it will never change God's mind or His will for your life. Besides that, to pray repeating scripture over and over again is what the heathens do. Learn how to pray and what to pray for. See if you find praying God's Word in God's Word to get what you want from Him. NO! If you look up all the prayers in the New Testament they all have one thing in common; the prayers are for His will to be done. Example: More love, more forgiveness, more Spiritual knowledge, more Spiritual wisdom, more Spiritual understanding, patience, protection, deliverance, preserve,
Prayers were never about worldy gain and treasures here on earth, or for our wants and desires. Besides if you are dead and it Jesus who lives in you, He will only do God's will and nothing else.

Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the
heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much
speaking.
Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in
heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in
heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. Note: It's His kingdom, power, and glory, for ever.

It is Jesus and the Holy Spirit that intercedes and prays for us, and
we don't know what we should really pray.

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we
know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself
Maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind
of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints
according to the will of God.

It is God, and God alone who speaks things into existence and He has finished from His works from the foundation of the world. He is the creator, and we are the creation. We are to "enter into His Rest".

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

We are only to do God's will, and that is entering "His Rest".

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His.

Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate
to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the
firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

G4267 FOREKNOW
προγινώσκω
proginōskō
prog-in-oce'-ko
From G4253 and G1097; to know beforehand, that is, foresee: - foreknow (ordain), know (before).

G4309 PREDESTINATE
προορίζω
proorizō
pro-or-id'-zo
From G4253 and G3724; to limit in advance, that is, (figuratively) predetermine: - determine before, ordain, predestinate.

To say other than God is all knowing is to call Him a liar. God knew the beginning and end before there was a beginning for us. There is nothing hid from God.

If you think that when Jesus said, "I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. (Matt 21:21)
Then please keep it in its context. It was all about producing fruit or not producing fruit. So we must remember to always seek His will, believing in Him, and allowing Jesus alone to do His Father's will in us. Then you will understand that to say to this mountain, "be thou removed", you would know it's referring to sin and obstructions that keep us from bearing fruit.

Look at what Paul said and how he describes the disciples walk of faith.

THE LIFE OF A FOLLOWER:
Vs. 8 is for those who believe in riches and earthly gain.
1Co 4:8 Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have
reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye
did reign, that we also might reign with you.
Verses 8-9 are sarcasm from Paul to those wealthy,
1Co 4:9 For I think that God hath set forth us the
apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we
are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels,
and to men.
1Co 4:10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are
wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye
are honourable, but we are despised.
1Co 4:11 Even unto this present hour we both
hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are
buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;
What no big fancy homes and things?
1Co 4:12 And labour, working with our own hands:
being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer
it:
1Co 4:13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made
as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of
all things unto this day.
1Co 4:14 I write not these things to shame you, but
as my beloved sons I warn you.
1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand
instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers:
for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the
gospel.
1Co 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers
of me.

Followers of the Gospel.

DO YOU STILL WANT TO FOLLOW JESUS?

(1) (Reply)

Monotheism and why The Doctrine Of The Trinity Is Dangerous / Who Do You Think Was The Most Powerful Man Of God In Those Biblical Era? / Did Jesus Exist? The Evidence Doesn't Hold Up - Washington Post.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.