Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,349 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Lets Chat About Gang Culture - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lets Chat About Gang Culture (1485 Views)

Six Feared Dead In Ibadan Gang War / Agbara Robbery: Police Nab Leader Of Gang In Delta / Hoodlums Gang-Rape Lady To Death In Kogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Chat About Gang Culture by Eurphoria(f): 8:49pm On Jul 05, 2006
Hello Guys and Dolls

Gang culture in the society, is on the rise in the Uk and has been a major problem across  the US, Latin america, Joburg .SA, seen at some levels in Nigerian Universities in the form of ''Cults or fraternities.

For those of us in the Uk, we hear about gun and knife crime being on the rise, in major citioes and towns like ,London,Birmingham,Nottingham,Liverpool, Glasgow scotland has exeptionally high incidents of knife crimes involving gangs.

What is your take? is gang culture now a major part of urban life? Are you in a gang, or ever been in one? Why do young people join gangs? Is music, dare i say Hiphop like said in the media a contributory factor in gang culture? Finally is it now cool or should i say glamorous to be a gang member?

I don't believe its just a black thing by the way , though we can't overlook the number of black kids taking on gangs as a surrogate family network.

Please air your views and lets keep it clean , respectful and truthful, keep it real and share your experiences please , all welcome, cheers!!!! smiley
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by Eastcoast(f): 9:14pm On Jul 05, 2006
You mentioned a few places my dear. Around my area, Anywhere south is always notorious. Infact most places with black concentration always have these gang issue. and now adays, hispanics (MS-13) are also feeling among.
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by hotangel2(f): 9:36pm On Jul 05, 2006
Hispanics/mexicans are just like the new era of gangsters here in texas. It's like, va-va-voom. All these young boys, acting all crazy and majority of them cant even spend a night in jail. They are all just feeling 'among'.

I think 'gang culture' is now just part of this our world. It's left for parents to train their kids, and for grown ups to make good decisions.

Nothing good comes out of being a gang member, well with the exception of ur gang members getting a tatoo of your name when u die in jail.
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by diddy4(m): 11:12pm On Jul 05, 2006
u only get a tatoo when u die? that is wack. so they join gangs to get their names tatooed huh? damn, people need to use their number 6.

people killing over what aint worth fighting for. its really sad but then again, the parents have an important role to play in this issue.
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by hotangel2(f): 2:39am On Jul 06, 2006
I didn't say u only get a tattoo when you die.

I said the only benefit u get from being a gang member when you die, is that other members of the gangs get ur name tattooed on one part of their body. Ya dig?

I was just giving an example telling you that it's not worth it. U have to die, probably by being in jail before they tattoo ur name on their body (and that's just a 'maybe they will'. lol).

Yeah parents do have an important role to play here.
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by diddy4(m): 2:43am On Jul 06, 2006
ya i dig

ya dig i dig?
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by hotangel2(f): 2:50am On Jul 06, 2006
I see u like it when i say 'ya dig'?

well yes i dig. cheesy
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by diddy4(m): 3:00am On Jul 06, 2006
yes i like it girl. nice, ya dig. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by Eurphoria(f): 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2006
Interesting smiley

I know some kids who are from the so called ''ideal family'' setup, two parents,financial stability, attend good schools ,yet still feel the need to join a gang, so its not always the parent's fault if their kids act out, some would say its a phase or youthful exuberance,whatever the case Lots of black kids are dying by the minute from gang related  crimes, the so called turf wars, and sometimes unprovoked attack of members of the public as a sort of right of passage among some gangs.

it really saddens me when i hear of all these young people, dying in the name of 'disrespect'. I was at a club recently, which is rare for me and unknown to my cousins and i there was trouble brewing from a handful of girls and guys. We heard shouting and a bottle had been smashed on someone's head. From what we later gathered there was a  ''crew'' from Dulwich south london(crew is what they call theselves sometimes i gathered) and another crew from East london and according to the door supervisors(bouncers) all that transponded was a case of one of the girls threading on another's shoes and they decided to settle scores in the club and spilling onto the street. One of the guys was heard yelling to his fellow crew member, where the ''piece'' at that point my cousins and I decided to run for dear life and vowed not  to go club anywhere in the South east area again.

Don't know if his threat of a piece was followed through but surely someone had dug their own graves from that night, because i know their stupid pride would not let it go and sooner or later we'll hear of another young black kid dead again.

Some areas in London, like Harlesden, stonebridge i have been told by a friend residing there don't even get help from the police any more when there is a gun or knife related crime until after the crime. I know the area and they have a police station in the middle of the gang hotspot ,yet apparently if you run into trouble there, you should pray to your maker because police let them kill themselves. sad isn't it? cry

@Diddy
what are you digging? tongue

@Eastcoast
Do you have any knowledge of young Nigerians in such gangs in and around your area? I take it the Ms-13 is mainly hispanic?

@Hot-angel
I liked the last entry of your post, lol thats another way of looking at it, simply not worth it , how ironic eh!
Re: Lets Chat About Gang Culture by diddy4(m): 6:53pm On Jul 06, 2006
@eurphoria
im digging you and the topic. finding it intersting. tongue tongue cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Escaped Billionaire Drug Kingpin Joaquin ‘el Chapo’ New Freedom /photos/ / Photo: Police Finally Nab Mushin Serial Killer After Five Years On The Run / Young Boy Had His Hand Cut Off While Trying To Steal A Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.