Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua (884 Views)

Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? / Senate To Suspend Two Senators Sworn In for Niger South / Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by DeepZone: 6:38pm On Sep 12, 2008
My plans for Niger Delta, by Yar'Adua
From Martins Oloja, Kelechi Okoronkwo, Terhemba Daka, Mohammed Abubakar (Abuja), Kelvin Ebiri (Port Harcourt), Willie Etim (Yenogoa), Julius Alabi (Akure) Moses Ebosele (Lagos), and Iyabo Lawal (Ibadan)

PRESIDENT Umaru Musa Yar'Adua yesterday restated the resolve of his administration to end the protracted Niger Delta crisis. The creation of the Ministry of the Niger Delta by the Federal Government on Wednesday, he said, is to achieve prompt execution of his programmes for the area.

The President said that when the blueprint for the region's development is aggressively implemented by the ministry, it will be clear to everyone that the Federal Government did its homework on how to end the neglect of the region.

He spoke in Abuja yesterday when he received the visiting British Minister for Africa, Asia and the United Nations, Lord Malloch Brown.

The government seems to have struck the right chord on its handling of the Niger Delta crisis as eminent Nigerians, political parties and ethnic groups hailed the move.

Yar'Adua declared that the Ministry of the Niger Delta will serve as the primary vehicle for engendering rapid socio-economic development in the region.

Yar'Adua said: "The Ministry will coordinate our efforts to tackle the challenges of infrastructural development, environmental protection and youth empowerment in the region."

He assured Malloch-Brown that measures were being taken by the government to deal with the security aspects of the problems in the oil-rich area.

The President reiterated his administration's appreciation of the offer by the British government to assist Nigeria with the development of a greater institutional and human capacity to resolve some of the challenges in the zone.

On other matters, the President said that the Federal Government was in the process of studying Nigerian laws with a view to initiating amendments that may be required to "operationalise" a Prisoner Transfer Agreement with Britain.

He reaffirmed his administration's commitment to the war against corruption. "Nobody, no matter how highly placed, will be shielded once caught in the web of corruption," Yar'Adua declared.

At another forum, Malloch-Brown revealed that about $40 million (about N1billion) looted from Nigeria are still trapped in some British banks.

According to him, Nigerian authorities must cooporate with United Kingdom (UK) to ensure that the amount is returned for the benefit of Nigerians.

Even the worst critics of the Yar'Adua admitted yesterday that the creation of the ministry is a novelty and holds hope for the people of the region.

But militants leading the offensive in the region adopted a "wait-and- see" approach. They said such menu had been served the region in the past without any meaningful change.

Those who lauded the government's action, were, however, quick to offer suggestions on how the government could use the ministry to herald a new Niger Delta that is free of misery, squalor, violence and environment degradation.

Among groups that reacted to the initiative are the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), Action Congress (AC), All Nigeria People Party (ANPP), the Ijaw National Congress (INC) and the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP).

The eminent Nigerians, who also commented on the development are former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Prof. Tam David-West, Second Republic Minister of Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide, and the Commissioner representing Ondo State in the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Dr. Ibukun Omotehinse.

Britain, which added its voice to the government's move, however warned that it should not be used solely to pump money into the Niger Delta.

It said the desired results could only be achieved if the government ensured that good governance percolate into the oil-rich region.

And from the ANPP and workers of the Nigerian Railways Corporation (NRC) the cry is for more.

The ANPP warned that the restructuring of the ministries should not be used by the government to put food on the tables of political jobbers while the Railway workers canvassed a separate ministry for the moribund parastatal.

All the speakers, advised that only Nigerians with track records should be appointed to man the Niger Delta Ministry, with some opposing the choice of an indigene of the region to head the ministry.

David-West and Akinjide said that for the initiative to yield positive results, the quality and standing of the persons to run the ministry must be considered.

David-West told reporters in Ibadan, Oyo State capital that while the creation of Niger Delta Ministry was commendable, the crisis in the region might persist unless the government did away with sentiments in the appointment of officials to man the ministry.

He said: "I give kudos to Yar'Adua. Without taking out anything of his tremendous achievements, what he has done is highly commendable. But it is one thing to create a ministry, it is another thing for the ministry to work. The ministry should be well taken care of.

On the conversion of the NDDC to a parastatal of the ministry, David-West described it as symbolical, stressing that the commission was already bedevilled with corrupt practices.

On whether or not the creation of the ministry would douse the tension in the war-torn region, Akinjide said: "The quality and the standing of the person appointed to run such ministry will determine whether it will douse the tension in the Niger Delta."

Ijaw National Congress (INC) President, Prof. Kimse Okoko, expressed conviction that the creation of the historical ministry would make Yar'Adua better focused on tackling the issue of human and infrastructural development of the Niger Delta.

Okoko told The Guardian yesterday that the expectation of the people of the area is high and called for adequate funding of the ministry to enable it expeditiously transform the region in line with what happened to the federal capital, Abuja.

He said: "Fortunately, it has also come at a time when the technical committee on the resolution of the Niger Delta crisis is collating all legislations, recommendations beginning from the Wilinks Commission on the Niger Delta. The recommendations of the committee which will include proposals for the industrialisation of the region will be helpful to the new ministry."

The Ijaw leader urged the government to appoint only persons of impeccable character and a passion for the people to man the ministry. In addition, he called for adequate funding to avoid any cynicism on the part of the people.

President of MOSOP and the Chairman of the Technical Committee on the Niger Delta, Mr. Ledum Mitee told The Guardian that it was a salutary development.

He noted that for the ministry to make impact on the people, the ministers should reside in the Niger Delta instead of Abuja in order to appreciate the enormity of the task.

Mitee said: "The ministers and the officials of the ministry will be able to know the problems that they are confronting and have first class information if they are closer to the people."

MEND said it received with apprehension the announcement by the government to establish a Ministry of the Niger Delta.

Its spokesman, Jomo Gbomo, said the group would know if the government is sincere in solving the Niger Delta crisis when it offers true federalism in all its ramifications, which includes resource control as well as the unconditional release of all detained activists.

Action Congress (AC) said the creation of the ministry was an act of hearkening to the voice of reason, adding that it would fast-track rapid development in the region.

In a statement yesterday in Abuja by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said that there was the need to appoint tested individuals to take charge of the ministry, in addition to unveiling a blueprint for the accelerated development of the area.

``A Ministry of Niger Delta that is not staffed by dedicated, committed and time-tested individuals will be nothing but a hollow ritual,'' it said, adding ``ministries by themselves do not implement policies, people do!''

Recalling its several statements calling for the creation of the Niger Delta Ministry as well as the inclusion of the creation of that ministry in its manifesto during the campaign for the 2007 general elections, AC said the party was delightedly flattered that the Federal Government had seen the wisdom in its (AC) proposed intervention for the Niger Delta.

Mohammed said: "AC urges holistic solution to Niger Delta crisis, warns against complacency.'' On July 15, 2007, it suggested, as immediate first steps to addressing the crisis which has already led to a 20 per cent cut in the country's oil production, ``the creation of a Niger Delta Ministry, and a blueprint for the accelerated development of the region, with emphasis on infrastructure, amenities and job and wealth creation for the people of the region.''

AC governorship candidate in the 2007 general elections in Bayelsa State, Prince Ebitimi Amgbare, also praised Yar Adua, for the creation of the Ministry describing it as a good thing for the people of the region.

Amgbare in an interview with The Guardian in Yenagoa, said the original idea for the creation of the ministry came from Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, who he said had variously used it as one of his promises to the people of the region during his electioneering last year.

He suggested that both the minister and minister of the state for the ministry be selected from within the Niger Delta states.

Omotehinse said the Ministry would not alter the role of the NDDC but rather it would complement its functions, which would bring rapid development to the region.

He said politics and governance are dynamic and every administration has a master plan on how to govern its people.

Yar'Adua's administration, he said, is itching to have its own identity in governance with a view to improving on the polity hence the new development.

Also, the North-West Zone Parliamentary Caucus in the House of Representatives yesterday commended the creation of the Ministry, which it described as a right step towards addressing the problems of the region.

Chairman of the caucus, Bashir Adamu Kazaure told journalists yesterday in Abuja after the forum's meeting that the North/ West zonal caucus was in total support of the creation of the Ministry and any other thing that would address the neglect of the region.

He explained that the Niger Delta crisis is the issue of the moment, adding that the caucus will collaborate with the Yar'Adua administration to remedy the situation in the region.

The ANPP advised the government not to use the proposed plan to de-merge ministries as a mere creation of more political appointments for party loyalists, rather it should be seen as a calculated and prudent measure towards restructuring the system in other to achieve results.

In a statement yesterday, the party's publicity secretary, Mr. Emma Eneukwu, admitted that some of these ministries were so large and complicated that the efficiency needed in implementing those reform policies had been very problematic.

"Our great party seizes this opportunity to call on President Yar'Adua to embark on assigning duties based on professional experience and sound track record of performance, both in conduct and discipline and afford them the responsibility of taking charge of these ministries.

"We believe that the selection of the ministers should be in accordance with their professional experience as it relates to the duties and functions of the ministries. In other words, a minister should be an experienced professional capable of handling the ministries assigned to him. And must have a first hand understanding of the working of the ministry."

To successfully reposition the (NRC) its workers yesterday advised Yar'Adua to separate it from the Ministry of Transportation. Reacting to the restructuring of some ministries by the government they said that some forces from a particular part of the country were working against the revival of the railway.

They argued that except a separate ministry was created and minister appointed to oversee its operations, it would be difficult to restore sanity to rail operations and by extension public transportation.

"The only way forward is for the President to show courage and do what is right before it is too late," said an official of the workers' union.

"Yes, it has been correctly stated. So far, two million pounds have been sent back, but you know there is another 40 million which is subject to prospective high court action. So one of my messages while I am here to give to the Nigerian authorities is to encourage the Nigerian justice authorities to cooperate fully with our metropolitan police and justice system to allow us to proceed to effectively prosecute those cases so we can return the money to Nigeria. There is a big bit of it ahead, a lot of publicity about the first couple of million pounds, but less attention to the 40 million. This is a big number, it is still small fraction of what was looted from the country over the years, but it is signal to the end of impunity and that if they steal this wealth, they are not going be left alone to enjoy it in a kind of luxury retirement in London or somewhere else. It is enormously important for Nigeria that these cases succeeds. We are looking forward to a strong cooperation from the Nigerian authorities."

Reiterating his country's backing for Nigeria's economic reforms and anti-graft war, the British Minister said he wanted to know how the earning from high oil prices are to be spent to the benefit of the citizens

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/sep/12/17.html
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 6:41pm On Sep 12, 2008
So now any area that feel neglected wil get a ministry.
What a direction the guy has gone, and the money meant to be used for the area will be used by some directors, ministers and stuff.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by DeepZone: 6:45pm On Sep 12, 2008
What a direction the guy has gone, and the money meant to be used for the area will be used by some directors, ministers and stuff.

Lol, Quota system will soon agitate for ibo ministry while Nigeria one will threaten to cripple our economy if there is no Yoruba ministry in place by 2010.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2008
Since someone has mentioned that Ekiti is messed up, i do suggest that we give Ekiti a special Ministry and shall be called Ministry of Ekiti State
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by onyinye2(f): 6:49pm On Sep 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Lol, Quota system will soon agitate for [b]ibo [/b]ministry while Nigeria one will threaten to cripple our economy if there is no Yoruba ministry in place by 2010.
Uhmmm. . . deepzone, it is Igbo, not ibo. That is like me saying yorobah.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 6:51pm On Sep 12, 2008
onyinye2:

Ministry of Yorubah, i think i prefer that spelling better sef.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by onyinye2(f): 7:00pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

Ministry of Yorubah, i think i prefer that spelling better sef.
If you want to tamper and respell your tribe's name, so be it. But not with mine.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 7:02pm On Sep 12, 2008
onyinye2:

If you want to tamper and respell your tribe's name, so be it. But not with mine.

The one that you dont know enuf abt, or the one that is located in a nation that u care less abt? pls
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by bilymuse: 7:04pm On Sep 12, 2008
Baba go slow has no plan for anybody, his too concern about his health to bother about ,
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by onyinye2(f): 7:04pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

The one that you don't know enough about, or the one that is located in a nation that u care less about? please
Nwa please, you don't know what i know so don't even try and dictate that. You are just bringing yourself down. Don't even try and throw words in my mouth. Oya now, go and quote me where i said I did not care about Nigeria. Biko, go and show me.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 7:07pm On Sep 12, 2008
onyinye2:

Nwa please, you don't know what i know so don't even try and dictate that. You are just bringing yourself down. Don't even try and throw words in my mouth. Oya now, go and quote me where i said I did not care about Nigeria. Biko, go and show me.

Scroll up and down and go to other threads and tell me where it shows ur concern for the nation.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by onyinye2(f): 7:09pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

Scroll up and down and go to other threads and tell me where it shows your concern for the nation.
LMAO!!! Look at this one. You know you have no proof but still have the audacity to accuse me of my concern with Nigeria. What a man.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by Ibime(m): 7:48pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

The ministry is simply to take the burden of development out of the hands of corrupt state governments and NDDC officials. This ministry is of strategic national importance and the usual level of corruption we see in Nigerian political structures will not be allowed in it. Let us give it a chance.

However, the constitution review is coming up and we would like to see the following:

A repealing of the Petroleum act and the Land act.

A derivation system that better reflects true fiscal federalism.

A repealing of the law that protects Government officials from prosecution whilst they are still in office.

I believe Nigeria is headed in the right direction however slowly.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by diggler(m): 7:54pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

true talk my brother
Not only that, the figure head ministers (we dont know how many for this ministry yet) will be from the region no doubt.
But dont be surprised if the real power brokers (DG, Perm sec etc) are from sokoto, Borno & jigawa.
Also wonder what business the ministry has being sited in Abuja.

Ibime:

Let us give it a chance.

However, the constitution review is coming up and we would like to see the following:

A repealing of the law that protects Government officials from prosecution whilst they are still in office.

like MEND i adopt a wait & see approach

let the merry go round keep spinning 'slowly', lol

hope ur points on Constitution review r adopted
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 8:03pm On Sep 12, 2008
diggler:

true talk my brother
Not only that, the figure head ministers (we don't know how many for this ministry yet) will be from the region no doubt.
But don't be surprised if the real power brokers (DG, Perm sec etc) are from sokoto, Borno & jigawa.
Also wonder what business the ministry has being sited in Abuja.
like MEND i adopt a wait & see approach

let the merry go round keep spinning 'slowly', lol

hope your points on Constitution review r adopted

like i have always said public offices in Nigeria is a "chop fast, cos someone will come chop soon" kinda affair.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by QuotaSyste(m): 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

Since someone has mentioned that Ekiti is messed up, i do suggest that we give Ekiti a special Ministry and shall be called Ministry of Ekiti State
And mus be headed by no other person other than the agba of nairaland, DeepZone. grin grin
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by DeepZone: 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2008

Sorry, I've been corrected over this a million times but am just used to it.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by DeepZone: 8:05pm On Sep 12, 2008
And mus be headed by no other person other than [b]the agba [/b]of nairaland, DeepZone.

Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by KarmaMod(f): 8:06pm On Sep 12, 2008
The one that you don't know enough about, or the one that is located in a nation that u care less about? please

grin

when did you start getting so feisty, Rhino
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by ssRhino: 8:19pm On Sep 12, 2008
KarmaMod:

grin
when did you start getting so feisty, Rhino

No mind me oh, i guess i am getting too hooked on Nija.
Anyhow, one love still.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by QuotaSyste(m): 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2008
The ministry is simply to take the burden of development out of the hands of corrupt state governments and NDDC officials. This ministry is of strategic national importance and the usual level of corruption we see in Nigerian political structures will not be allowed in it. Let us give it a chance.
Kaii, see rejoicing and masturbation of the highest order. These people, when will your "eyeses" open? This is 2008 for goodness sake. Before NDDC, there was Niger Delta River basin Development Authority and you and your people believed that NDDC was simply created to take the burden of development out of the hands of the THEN corrupt state governments and Niger Delta River Basin Development Authority officials.
What heppened after the creation of NDDC? the status quo at Abuja continued. Today, "porti, yes" (meaning the more you look, the less you see)  have been done to your people in the hit of your people's pressure against them born to rule people and they created a new Niger Delta ministry meant to redirect your attention, but you couldn't grab the trick and you still believe that the ministry was simply created to take the burden of development out of the hands of corrupt state governments and NDDC officials. lol. Open and shine your eyes and know that this hausas meant no good for your people. Is it not better to have no oil and be free than to be the slave because you have oil?

You will like to see the listed below when the constitution review is not yet here, yet you already believed that nigeria is slowly headed in the right direction. Lol. What has history taught you? Nothing?

Come back here to say had i know.

Are you dreaming or what? Who will give that to you? hausa rulership? (Am sure you are thinking of between 25-50%)And where will they get money to build Abuja and support their corrupt way of life? You can't get nada unless through MEND's system. That is the only way to get your thing (what really belong to you) back from them. You do not need to take permission or make deals with your oppressor to be free and happy. That is why MEND's way is the only way out of this mess.

Bia this boy, ina apu ara? Who will repeal such law? When 99% of the sitting government officials are corrupt. As you are now, can you stab yourself? May be you are the one that will repeal such law. Ol'boy stop too much kai kai.

Dreamer, dream on. Plan ni, Niger Delta ko.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by DeepZone: 8:40pm On Sep 12, 2008
Quotasystem is back again with his usual tribal opata.
Re: My Plans For Niger Delta--yaradua by RibaduFan(m): 8:47pm On Sep 12, 2008
Deepzone - Quota system will soon agitate for ibo ministry while Nigeria one will threaten to cripple our economy if there is no Yoruba ministry in place by 2010[quote][/quote]

OMG - this is so funny.

(1) (Reply)

South African Parliament Elects Motlanthe As President / Sleeping Contest At Un Summit( Who Won) / Obama Is For United States As Thatcher Was For The United Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.