Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? (15408 Views)

Church Locks Out Commercial Sex Workers From New Year’s Eve Service / Does Having Tatoos/men Plaiting Hair Really Mean The Person Is Bad?? / Is Putting On A Earing Or Plaiting of Attachment Hair Style A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by kobomoje(m): 1:09am On Sep 13, 2008
I am a guy who appreciates looking good @ all times, as such i dress trendy, uniquely and change my hairstyle as often as my mood dictates (currently i am carrying locks). However, i have been battling with some "holy" people in my church who felt that i am a sinner because of my hair-do, and insist that i cut it off. I totally disagree with this because i know that my look or hair-do has nothing to do with my personal relationship with God.
I am of the opinion that the church has problem accommodating people who don't fit into their stereotype, and it is high time we parted with all these man-made laws.
what do you think?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Nobody: 1:23am On Sep 13, 2008
Dont always blame the church. Its true that hair-do may not have anything to do with your "personal" relationship with God . . . but remember the bible also says - out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks (i.e. the outward appearance is a manifestation of the state of the heart).

I have no problem with a man braiding his hair but you have to realise that conservative christians may have a problem with it. Remember also the bible says - let not your good be evil spoken of.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by AKO1(m): 1:35am On Sep 13, 2008
I dunno tongue
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by bawomolo(m): 3:00am On Sep 13, 2008
it's a matter of personal choice. according to e-40, jesus had dreads grin grin . i personally won't braid my hair just because am not used to that kind of stuff
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by EDIPO(m): 10:02am On Sep 13, 2008
its sad to hear that your choice of hair puts you on the spot. i am not a christain and so i am not sure if my opinion would make sense here. islamically, it is not permitted for a guy to plait his hair, as for dread, i am not sure but i can find out for you.

however, if you are looking at getting employed in a corporate setting, would you plait your hair to the office, i can guess your answer would be NO. if you can forsake your hair for the office, why not for God?

my brother, who don fine don fine, no be by haid do!

cheers.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by kobomoje(m): 11:06am On Sep 13, 2008
E_DIPO:

its sad to hear that your choice of hair puts you on the spot. i am not a christain and so i am not sure if my opinion would make sense here. islamically, it is not permitted for a guy to plait his hair, as for dread, i am not sure but i can find out for you.

however, if you are looking at getting employed in a corporate setting, would you plait your hair to the office, i can guess your answer would be NO. if you can forsake your hair for the office, why not for God?

my brother, who don fine don fine, no be by haid do!

cheers.

Thanx bruv. I live in the Uk and i have noticed that your choice of hair-do has nothing to do with with your job, i mean employers dont have issues with that. ok, if you think braid is out of place, what about locks abi "DADA" no go work again?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by huxley(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2008
Well, have you read your bible? If you had you might have come across Paul admonishing women about their decorum as Christians and as church-goers, 1 Timothy 2: 9;

Women, for their part, should display their beauty by dressing modestly and decently in appropriate clothes, not by braiding their hair or by wearing gold, pearls, or expensive clothes,

If this is good for the woman, I suppose it is also good for the man.

Further, was it not Paul who cautioned men about adopting effeminate ways? As an exercise, I urge you to seek out the chapter & verse of Paul's message.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Pataki: 11:28am On Sep 13, 2008
I once braided my hair, the judgmental peeps came on my facebook to talk me down with Holy Preaching.

All I ask for is a scripture that goes against plaiting of hair. wink
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by kobomoje(m): 11:50am On Sep 13, 2008
kobomoje:

Thanx bruv. I live in the Uk and i have noticed that your choice of hair-do has nothing to do with with your job, i mean employers don't have issues with that. ok, if you think braid is out of place, what about locks abi "DADA" no go work again?

huxley:

Well, have you read your bible? If you had you might have come across Paul admonishing women about their decorum as Christians and as church-goers, 1 Timothy 2: 9;

Women, for their part, should display their beauty by dressing modestly and decently in appropriate clothes, not by braiding their hair or by wearing gold, pearls, or expensive clothes,

If this is good for the woman, I suppose it is also good for the man.

Further, was it not Paul who cautioned men about adopting effeminate ways? As an exercise, I urge you to seek out the chapter & verse of Paul's message.
Thanx bros for your contribution.
i am a man of d WORD, (but perharps i have overlooked it @ a certain point), can u pls point to d exact passage that states that hair braiding is for women only.
i think there should be a point where we separate culture from religion, because i found out that on most occasions, we tend to apply which ever one (culture or religion) that supports our arguement.

Moreover, its so funny how people who are quick to quote and obey v.9, fail to obey v.10, where the same paul states that "women are not permitted to lead in the church" so, is it now a case of just justifying whatever u do or what? grin
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Lady2(f): 11:28pm On Sep 15, 2008
Thanx bros for your contribution.
i am a man of d WORD, (but perharps i have overlooked it @ a certain point), can u please point to d exact passage that states that hair braiding is for women only.
i think there should be a point where we separate culture from religion, because i found out that on most occasions, we tend to apply which ever one (culture or religion) that supports our arguement

Before you carry on, I just want to inform you that Huxley is an atheist, therefore he is not biased on the issue within Christianity. he just can't give you a christian explanation.

Moreover, its so funny how people who are quick to quote and obey v.9, fail to obey v.10, where the same paul states that "women are not permitted to lead in the church" so, is it now a case of just justifying whatever u do or what?

This doesn't apply to Huxley, he's an atheist. However you are rght. And right you are about women leading in the Church.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by kobomoje(m): 2:25am On Sep 16, 2008
Thanx Lady 4 ur contribution.

This doesn't apply to Huxley, he's an atheist. However you are rght. And right you are about women leading in the Church.
[quote][/quote] that shows the hypocritical tendencies of people in the church these days of "pastor mrs, "

Jesus said, "we are only saved by grace and not by the fulfilment of the laws, "
, for those who think they are good at obeying the law, he said ", if u break one of the laws, you break all, " so if u want to go by the way of the law, then u have 2 KEEP ALL THE LAWS and not just few ones that you agree with; while you are quick to judge others.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by janami(f): 1:11pm On Sep 16, 2008
There is no scripture that says a man shouldnt braid his hair or anything like that, samson had long hair and how else did he keep it in check if not to put it in a band like a woman's or something like that. What i think is this, if it fits you, go for it. If it doesnt, well, that na anoda matter. If your boss is ok wih it, fine. Others around you will get used to seeing you that way and stop criticising
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by JustGood(m): 1:21pm On Sep 16, 2008
If you have enough time to be plaiting your hair as a man, it shows how vain you are. The fact that you have so much time could mean that your focus in life is wrong
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by janami(f): 1:38pm On Sep 16, 2008
hmmm . . . . how about time spent wooing a lady a man hopes to marry? does that show how randy the man is?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by kolaoloye(m): 1:57pm On Sep 16, 2008
JustGood:

If you have enough time to be plaiting your hair as a man, it shows how vain you are. The fact that you have so much time could mean that your focus in life is wrong
I disagree with you. We have great pastors that do jerry curls and the rest.That does not make them unrighteous.
And the fact that somebody is shaving his head does not prove his holiness.

This is my conclusion: whatsoever a man does let him do it moderately with the fear of God.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by mikail001(m): 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2008
Hm, whether a men believe there will be nightfall tonight or not does not alter the fact that there must be nightfall! I will be very brief here as regards this. If any of you will seek for more clarification, please examine 'In the Light of Truth, the Grail Message'.

You see, I sometimes wonder why people give answers to questions that they don't have valuable answers to. I will advise that we shirk from this and only profer answers to that which falls within our knowledge. By knowledge I mean what you have experienced. For only that is what is of the spirit. We should know that knowledge and learnedness are separate.

My broda, you tend to form a fate that will hurt you in the future, whether here on earth or in the beyond if you indulge in any hing that those not conform to the Will of the Almighty. Anything that does not belong to your gender should be left alone. I know your spirit is telling you that plaiting is not in accordance with what the Almighty Himself Will, as such please drop it. The distorted souls you see and hear about are as a result of these. Have you ever wondered why some people have both sexes? Have you ever wondered why some women have beards? These are distorted souls that must redeem their guilt! I will not say other than I have provided here.

Please examine the Grail Message for your own good!
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by janami(f): 5:03pm On Sep 16, 2008
women with beards, distorted souls? common! lol
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Gamine(f): 1:05pm On Sep 17, 2008
LOL.

Pipu eh.

Nothing wrong with a guy in Braids.

The guy just has to be cute enough to pull it off.

Think Shemar Moore in Diary of a Mad Black Woman grin
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by tope2000(f): 1:07pm On Sep 17, 2008
Didnt you hear that Dreadlocks are now Shit-locks wink
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by ssRhino: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2008
Tell them they are all hypocrites like the pharises.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by kobomoje(m): 7:39pm On Sep 17, 2008
JustGood:

@jusgood, you are chatting crap!
mikail001:

Hm, whether a men believe there will be nightfall tonight or not does not alter the fact that there must be nightfall! I will be very brief here as regards this. If any of you will seek for more clarification, please examine 'In the Light of Truth, the Grail Message'.

You see, I sometimes wonder why people give answers to questions that they don't have valuable answers to. I will advise that we shirk from this and only profer answers to that which falls within our knowledge. By knowledge I mean what you have experienced. For only that is what is of the spirit. We should know that knowledge and learnedness are separate.

My brother, you tend to form a fate that will hurt you in the future, whether here on earth or in the beyond if you indulge in any hing that those not conform to the Will of the Almighty. Anything that does not belong to your gender should be left alone. I know your spirit is telling you that plaiting is not in accordance with what the Almighty Himself Will, as such please drop it. The distorted souls you see and hear about are as a result of these. Have you ever wondered why some people have both sexes? Have you ever wondered why some women have beards? These are distorted souls that must redeem their guilt! I will not say other than I have provided here.

Please examine the Grail Message for your own good!

my mind does not condem me for wearing locks, so i dont understand this your theory about "distorted souls", na wa o. people and knowledge sha, lol
thank you everyone for your contribution.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 17, 2008
kobomoje:

my mind does not condem me for wearing locks, so i don't understand this your theory about "distorted souls", na wa o. people and knowledge sha, lol
thank you everyone for your contribution.

then why did you invite opinions on the issue then? Is it because you genuinely wanted opinions (however disagreeable) or you were seeking agreement for your own personal choice?

If you think those against guys with locks are "chatting crap" then i suggest you dont bother making topics.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by PastorAIO: 8:01pm On Sep 17, 2008
All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy until the days are fulfilled for which he separated himself to the LORD; he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long.

Numbers 6:5
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Gamine(f): 8:07pm On Sep 17, 2008
rotfl
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by AKO1(m): 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2008
God looks not on the outward appearance but at the heart.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 17, 2008
A_K_O:

God looks not on the outward appearance but at the heart.

Out of the abundance of the heart . . .
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by bluespice(f): 10:16pm On Sep 17, 2008
personally i dont think anything is wrong with a man with braids or locks
apart from he issue of cleanliness tongue
conservative Christians might frown upon it
u might say ur relationship with God is a personal thing
in that case a nudist that decided to come to church inhis birthday suit is also being on a personal level with God aye?

wrong we shouldnt let our personal choices be a disturbance to others especially in the place of worship

if u feel u cant take ur locks out,
i advice praying to God and asking Him sincerely wat to do

he'll help out smiley,
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by tombola: 10:18pm On Sep 17, 2008
you will be the gateman in hell.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by AKO1(m): 10:27pm On Sep 17, 2008
davidylan:

Out of the abundance of the heart . . .

The mouth?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Lady2(f): 12:16am On Sep 18, 2008
*cough* *cough*
ahem ahem, excuse me as I stir up thinking levels here.

1 Corinthians 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by vivaladiva(f): 12:22am On Sep 18, 2008
abeg carry ur hair as long as u wish, if u like sef i fit they help u braid am
Re: What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 18, 2008
A_K_O:

The mouth?

It wasnt strictly refering to the mouth alone. In essence the verse is simply saying, your outward appearance, attitude, lifestyle, character . . . is a mirror into your heart.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" / I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.