Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,423 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? (5090 Views)

Huge Congestion Hit Banks As BVN Deadline Nears(see Photos) / Photos : Customer Congest Banks As BVN Deadline Nears .. / Hard Times For Banks As MDAs Close Accounts Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by adelove4: 1:33pm On Sep 15, 2008
Doubts persist about Nigeria's banks

THE bright logos of Nigeria's financial institutions adorn the tallest
and poshest office blocks in central Lagos, the country's commercial
capital, testimony to years of impressive growth in banking. But now,
after a rocky year, there are worries that some of the optimism may
have been overblown.

The reform of Nigeria's creaking, corrupt banking system was one of
the big achievements of President Olusegun Obasanjo in his second term
in office (2003-07). As part of a policy to squeeze weak or failing
banks out of business, in 2005 the Central Bank of Nigeria raised
banks' capital requirements. In a hectic round of consolidation, the
number of banks dropped from 89 to 24. Those that remained have had a
very good few years, with massive local expansion and sometimes
triple-digit growth in their share prices. And with less than a fifth
of Nigerians keeping their money in banks and with fast growth led by
private companies, there still seems to be plenty of potential for
more business. Banks surveyed by a Lagos-based stockbroker, Afrinvest,
showed that median before-tax earnings had risen by 141% year-on-year
by June.

Yet share prices have been dropping throughout 2008, suggesting a lack
of confidence. Would-be investors have started to eye Nigeria's banks,
in particular their regulatory practices, more warily. Some wonder
whether the apparent gains of the past few years are all they seem.
"The foundation is not there, it's weak," says an analyst, Osaruyi
Orobosa-Ogbeide, of a Lagos-based firm, Financial Derivatives.

Though banking standards have certainly risen a lot in recent years,
they still lag behind those of America and the European Union,
particularly in terms of transparency. In April, United Bank for
Africa, one of the country's biggest, fell foul of American regulators
who served the bank with a $15m fine for ignoring anti-money-launderi
ng regulations despite several warnings. "There's no resemblance at
all between operating in Britain or America and operating in Nigeria,"
says Fola Fagbule, a research analyst with Afrinvest. "It's light
years apart, and it's an issue [the banks] need to address".

The top seven Nigerian banks, with a combined market value of almost
$40 billion, are overvalued by as much as 56%, according to a report
published in May by JPMorgan, an American financial-services company.
Part of the problem is that banks have used their own money to push up
their stock prices by engaging in risky lending to corporations and
individuals who invest in the banks' own shares.

Those in charge of imposing some order on the sector have also been
found wanting. After share prices began to fall earlier this year, the
central bank set a floor on trading in a bid to buoy the market.
Investors were left with no choice but to hold on to stocks; that
unnerved many of them. Bismarck Rewane of Financial Derivatives
described the action as "a disorderly intervention in a chaotic market."

Lamido Sanusi, a risk-control officer who will take over next January
as the head of Nigeria's oldest bank, First Bank, is disappointed that
regulators are not tougher in insisting on transparency and disclosure
of information. Foreign investors demand open banking procedures, he
says, yet banks are not now obliged to open their books to scrutiny.
"Are these banks being properly managed? Are these assets being
properly deployed?" asks Mr Sanusi. "We don't know the reality."

Nigeria is sub-Saharan Africa's second-biggest economy after South
Africa's and the world's eighth-largest oil exporter, yet the
continent's most populous country (with 140m-plus citizens) has yet to
fulfil its economic potential. A robust banking sector that everyone
can have confidence in is essential; the country's reformers and
regulators cannot rest on their laurels.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naijamix/message/54
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by davidif: 6:57am On Sep 16, 2008
that was actually taken from the economist web site. www.economist.com
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by bilymuse: 8:06am On Sep 16, 2008
the Nigeria stock exchange is not different from the other federal government institution, the structure is riddle with fraud.

though people are making lots of money from the market, if you are ready to play the nigeria system, you can have a slice of the cake. there are some very good companies worht investing
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by davidif: 6:30pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by bilymuse: 12:05am On Sep 17, 2008
all that glitter is not gold
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by adconline(m): 7:00am On Sep 17, 2008
I had been thinking about this given what's happening around big global markets, but I think that Nigerian market maybe decoupled from western and asian markets. Hope this thread does not die. Anyway on Nland, good topics dont see light of the day.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 17, 2008
tell me how this affects my life! Nigerian banks healthy or NOT? wth?
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by femzy(m): 10:38pm On Sep 17, 2008
engineerd:

tell me how this affects my life! Nigerian banks healthy or NOT? wth?

you no dey use bank?
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by ayotee2000(m): 11:15pm On Sep 17, 2008
Comparing Nigerian banks to her European counterparts may be a bit immature. They've have far many more years of experience with finance, both consumer and international finance, many decades before Elder Dempster & Company came over.

cry
However, we must be wise by learning from their mistakes and take advantage of this fore knowledge. And that is the stage we are in Nigeria. I dare not compare our present predicament to US 1930's economic depression years, but attimes in order to fully mature economically, we must go through similar circumstances. This is just a learning phase.

grin
The likes of Enron and Barings Bank have taught us that even in those 'matured' economies, there is no such as full information disclosure or perfect risk control management. However, we have learnt their mistakes and choose to take actions to avoid such mishaps at our end. And that is why I praise First Bank for appointing Lamido as next CEO, he management style has always been risk based and focuses on the Basel II accord.
smiley
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by cecegorz(m): 8:17am On Sep 18, 2008
[quote au
grin
And that is why I praise First Bank for appointing Lamido as next CEO, he management style has always been risk based and focuses on the Basel II accord.
smiley

[quote][/quote]

You are in the spirit, man.
Considering Sanusi Lamido is a top Notch Credit Risk manager with impeccable record, FIRSTBANK will continue to be the bank of FIRST CHOICE for High Net Worth individuals who wants value for their money.
The Big Elephant will keep delivering bounties to the valued investors and customers alike.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by crazylegs(m): 9:37am On Sep 18, 2008
Answering the question: Are Nigerian Banks as shiny as they look? The answer is NO!

Nigerian banks depend a lot on image: flashy offices, cars and suits. They try to give an aura of more solidity than they actually have. But what do they rely on for their income? They rely on short term loans, government bonds and similar things. They are still too dependent on Government money and soft loans. They are not transparent. Every year just before releasing their final accounts they go about begging people to deposit money in their bank if only for a month. Their statements are generally overstated.

All that said, they are working with more professionalism and I think money deposited with most of them is reasonably safe . But they are not as solid as they seem to be. They are wasting (imho) too many resources on their image.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by Jokhe: 9:52am On Sep 18, 2008
The present financial upheaval of Wall Street and other global giants makes one wonder what is in store for our financial institutions in Nigeria  undecided undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by amaikama(m): 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2008
Point of correction poster!!! how healthy is the economy of the country in which the banks operate on and the state of governance?
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by otokx(m): 2:06pm On Sep 18, 2008
@amaikama

very good point there
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by kemisuga(f): 3:45pm On Sep 18, 2008
I can bank my money in my house grin. Nothing interest me about any bank in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by danedrol: 6:17pm On Sep 18, 2008
Doubts persits in Nigerian Banks?!!

This is no small talk,
it sends Jitters down the spine
of investors like me!

Whats the way forward?
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by blacklion(m): 9:03pm On Sep 20, 2008
I'd like to know more about Lamido Sanusi. The much I know about him is related to some articles he wrote opposing sharia law. But I know very little about his management credential or risk control experience. Can any one with relevant info pls share?
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by ayotee2000(m): 10:29pm On Sep 20, 2008
blacklion:

I'D like to know more about Lamido Sanusi. The much I know about him is related to some articles he wrote opposing sharia law. But I know very little about his management credential or risk control experience. Can any one with relevant info please share?

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi holds degrees in economics from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria, and in Shari’ah and Islamic Studies from the International University of Africa, Khartoum, Sudan.

Born in Nigeria in 1961, Sanusi is a member of the Fulani ruling family in Kano, being a grandson of the 11th Fulani Emir, Muhammadu Sanusi. Sanusi started his working career as an academic, teaching economics at the Ahmadu Bello University from 1983-1985. He then moved into banking, working first as a merchant banker with Icon Ltd (a subsidiary of Morgan Guaranty Trust Bank of New York and Barings Brothers of London) and after his studies in the Sudan as a risk manager with the United Bank for Africa plc, one of the largest banks in Nigeria. In September 2005 he was invited to the Board of Nigeria's largest retail bank, First Bank of Nigeria PLC and he is currently the Executive Director in charge of the Risk and Management Control Directorate of First Bank. Sanusi is a writer who has over the years participated in debates on politics, religion and society in Nigeria. He has also been invited to speak at international conferences in several countries. He has recently focused his writings on religion and the state, as well as the question of interpreting Islam in modernity. He has contributed articles to a number of publications on shari'ah in Nigeria and also presented papers at several international conferences, in addition to participating actively in public debates in the Nigerian press. Most of his articles are available on the internet.

http://www.zamyn.org/162-Lamido-Sanusi.html
lipsrsealed
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by ayotee2000(m): 11:54pm On Sep 20, 2008
:-x
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by blacklion(m): 10:09am On Sep 21, 2008
thanks! ayotee2000
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by elampiro(m): 6:37pm On Sep 21, 2008
Nigerian banks are growing in strength every day while the so called giant banks of the world in US and UK, etc are on the brink of bankruptcy due to credit crunch and economic recession, yet Nigerians are criticising our banks. It appears Nairaland is fast becoming a forum for criticising our banks. It has to be checked.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by Nimshi: 7:20am On Sep 22, 2008
ayotee2000:

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi holds degree[/b]s [b]in economics from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria, and in Shari’ah and Islamic Studies from the International University of Africa, Khartoum, Sudan.

Born in Nigeria in 1961, Sanusi is a member of the Fulani ruling family in Kano, being a grandson of the 11th Fulani Emir, Muhammadu Sanusi. Sanusi started his working career as an academic, teaching economics at the Ahmadu Bello University from 1983-1985. He then moved into banking, working first as a merchant banker with Icon Ltd (a subsidiary of Morgan Guaranty Trust Bank of New York and Barings Brothers of London) and after his studies in the Sudan as a risk manager with the United Bank for Africa plc, one of the largest banks in Nigeria. In September 2005 he was invited to the Board of Nigeria's largest retail bank, First Bank of Nigeria PLC and he is currently the Executive Director in charge of the Risk and Management Control Directorate of First Bank. Sanusi is a writer who has over the years participated in debates on politics, religion and society in Nigeria. He has also been invited to speak at international conferences in several countries. He has recently focused his writings on religion and the state, as well as the question of interpreting Islam in modernity. He has contributed articles to a number of publications on shari'ah in Nigeria and also presented papers at several international conferences, in addition to participating actively in public debates in the Nigerian press. Most of his articles are available on the internet.

http://www.zamyn.org/162-Lamido-Sanusi.html
lipsrsealed

As you see for di bold part above, wetin dem fit write for Lamido Sanusi for banking, e light pass wetin Sarah Palin get.

No be player hating o, na so we see am for now.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by xammy(m): 12:11pm On Sep 24, 2008
i believe 9ja banks are very healthy cuz they can now withstand MEGA SHOCK.
NOTE: An healthy body can behave funny within 24hrs
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by Hawkeye(m): 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2008
kemisuga:

I can bank my money in my house grin. Nothing interest me about any bank in Nigeria.

Where is your house? hehehe
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by skfa1: 9:12pm On Sep 26, 2008
Hawkeye:

Where is your house? hehehe

Do you want to visit him this night hehe
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by Ruddyface(f): 7:05am On Sep 28, 2008
kemisuga:

I don't blame you. You probably get table payment and stuff it all in your breast pocket.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by slimes(m): 6:21pm On Oct 09, 2008
Banks, I think, are in recovery period- trying to gather much grounds before they think of improving customer relations.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by brownbonno(m): 11:04am On Oct 12, 2008
Are there no Bankers in the house to give their intelligential views on this topic ?
Are Nigeria banks only exit as conduct pipe for laundry government into foreign countries ?
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2008
I saw on cnn that nigerian financial market banks are bumming while eu and usa financial markets are in crisis. I gotta bring back all my looted cash in uk and usa banks to nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by kegman(m): 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2008
from my own understanding, current account holders pay interest to banks while banks pay interest to savings account holders, but in the case of intercontinental bank PLC, i thinks it's different, okay take for example, other banks don't charge their customers when ever they withdraw in their bank with the use of ATM. but as an intercontinental bank
account holder, u have to part with #50 on every withdrawal, and u can't withdraw more #20,000 at a go, so if u want to withdraw let's say #50,000. u definitely have to part with #150. from my own point of view, i think we r being extorted. the should do something before they start loosing their customer to other banks.
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by DisGuy: 10:25pm On Oct 27, 2008
brownbonno:

Are there no Bankers in the house to give their intelligential views on this topic ?
Are Nigeria banks only exit as conduct pipe for laundry government into foreign countries ?

you must be having a laugh!?!? they just collect salaries and work overtime
when the manager shouts bark they bark!!!
Re: Are Nigerian Banks As Shiny As They Look? by DisGuy: 10:32pm On Oct 27, 2008
Only Seven Banks Healthy In Nigeria, Says NASB
By Emele Onu, Finance Editor, Lagos

Only seven banks in the country are healthy, according to the Nigerian Accounting Standards Board (NASB), contrary to the widespread view that all the 24 banks are strong.

The NASB is Nigeria's financial reporting watchdog.

It stated that from its examination of the books of the banks, their weaknesses would have been glaring to the regulators and the public if the uniform year-end rule had been enforced.

NASB Technical Director, Jim Obazee, told financial journalists at the weekend that only two of the healthy seven banks qualify as market makers.

His words: "Four banks were captured by the study as still in transition to healthy condition, meaning that they are not yet there; 11 banks were found to be merely existing, meaning they are not strongly footed for the role they assume to be playing.

"The study identified two weak banks that have to be strengthened to protect the industry."

Obazee is also the Moderator of International Accounting of the American Accounting Association (AAA), and a member of the United Nations Committee on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)

He said Nigerian banks engage in a number of malpractices that hide their true financial position from the regulators, and that most of their claims concerning their rankings are baseless calculations that deceive the public.

"The situation in most of the banks is that when the liabilities are properly accounted for, the over N1 trillion balance sheet claimed by some of them amounts to nothing in terms of net worth."

He stressed that a uniform year-end fixed in any month other than December will help to sanitise the system.

Since most companies' year-end fall in December, the pressure of work is unbearable for the five major auditing firms if banks also end the year the same month, said Obazee.

He added that any other month from March is ideal as a common year-end.

"Notwithstanding the shortcomings of the common year-end, it remains the best practicable solution to effective monitoring, surveillance and regulation of the banking sector."

http://allafrica.com/stories/200810270905.html

Still don't understand why they are over praising Soludo
what's so difficult in implementing common year end
these people re meant to be professionals do they really need some sort of regulators
to tell them what to do??

(1) (2) (Reply)

*********fantastic Interior Home Touches / Professional Printing Companies In Nigeria / How To Make Money Online As A Graphic Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.