Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,723 members, 7,802,179 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. (1184 Views)

ODE: A Yoruba Urban Fantasy (rewrite) / Ode: A Yoruba Urban Fantasy / A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by Sisikill: 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2008
Growing up, we all heard stories which passed down from generations to generations. Sometimes these stories are supposed to teach us how to act right, other times they are used to give certain tribes or culture credibility and some were just good old fashioned silly stories. We scoffed at these stories but deep down, we always wondered. . . “Could it be true?”  but never really got the nerve to put them to practice. What we did instead was tell these stories to other people. . .  establishing them as an URBAN LEGEND.

This is a siren call everyone. . . let’s create our own reference source for Urban Legends.

I’ll start

1) Never Point at a Grave or you will wake up to find your fingers shrived up.
2) If you go to bed wearing black, you will have nightmares.
3) Don’t sleep lying on your back because the witches flying at night will come steal your heart.
4) Never use your hands to pack dirt after sweeping because it causes bad luck.
5) Do not walk backwards because you can be mistaken for a dead person as this is the way they walk.
6) Never sit under a banana tree at night because this is where witches hold their meetings.

Next.

PS
Urban Legends have been great sources for many movies and books, this is why I’m posting it here instead of the culture section.

Please don’t move it.
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by H2O2: 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2008
Never place your feet against the wall while you sleep, 'cos you just might find yourself in an unfamiliar location where witches hold their meetings.
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by Sisikill: 11:18pm On Sep 15, 2008
Oh yeah, I remember that one! Nice grin
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by newdeal(m): 1:52pm On Sep 16, 2008
is it urban or rural legend?
anyway, here in one:
never look at an elder in the face otherwise you'll see a monster!
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by kay9(m): 5:22pm On Sep 16, 2008
Don't sleep face-up - or you'll have nightmares. (Not to sound spooky or anything, but this one IS true - at least, around my 'hood  smiley ).

Don't sing in the wee-morning hours - or you'll attract an evil spirit.

Don't fool around banana or plantain trees at night - witches hang out there, too!

Don't greet strangers at night - one of 'em might be a ghost.

And the coupe de' grace: NEVER bend over to look under your legs in a market-place - you'll be SURE to see a spirit (their legs aren't supposed to touch the ground), and those fellas can be real mean if they discover you've blown their cover! grin

What's up Sis?
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by Sisikill: 6:04am On Sep 17, 2008
It is bad omen when a black cat crosses your path.

It is advisable for pregnant women to wear safety pins on their outfits because it keeps evil spirits away.

Dirt should never be swept outside the house at night because it brings bad luck.

Don't sleep with your head facing west, only the dead do that.

A new baby is not allowed outside the house before 40 days or evil spirits will taint him because he is not spiritually strong enough.

@ newdeal
How about both wink

@ Kay9
Lol, I once tried the last one you're list. . . I couldn't resist. Please don't ask me what I saw. . . Okay, okay I'll tell you. I saw sand. . . Not only did I see I felt it too coz I fell flat on my face. Painful! sad

How have you been? cheesy
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by iice(f): 9:03am On Sep 17, 2008
Hahhh sounds like the superstition thread.

I would say the madam kois-kois is an urban legend.
The satyr people 'see' dancing at night
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by nanaboi(m): 11:13am On Sep 17, 2008
Don't look in a mirror at night, you might see what you really are - a ghoul. (Ha ha!)
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by wilkanah(m): 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2008
Cmon everyone,

You've left out the postivite or at least not too sinister ones

1. if you hand is itching then money is on its way to you
2. someone walks in just as their name is mentioned and they're the true child of their father

lol
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by kay9(m): 1:28pm On Sep 17, 2008
@ Sisikill: Too bad about the sand; you shoulda listened to your mama.  I'm ok; just trying to get used to my 8-5 job all over again. . .  you know, after that extended vacation in sub-space nine i told you about smiley. By the way, i've remembered some more "legends":

- If you sneeze more than twice over and over again, then someone is calling your name somewhere.

- If your eyes keeps twitching involuntarily, then something unpleasant is about to happen to you (like losing your job! grin ).

- Whenever you hear chickens cackling like crazy (or dogs barking/howling at the air), you know a spirit is lurking around. I even used this one in one of my books smiley
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by nanaboi(m): 3:51pm On Sep 19, 2008
If a cat meows constantly (usually for a very long time) by a window at night then someone in that house/room is about to die.
Re: Let’s Create A Reference Source For Our Urban Legends. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2008
If you swallow orange seeds or any kind of fruit seed, a tree would grow in you tummy--> my mom cheesy

I had to lick, suck, and eat all my fruits with care cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Promises Of Hope: / An Evening With eva / First Semester. A Novel By Risen Williams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.