Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Survival - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Survival (8820 Views)

4 Places To Test Your Survival Skills In Western Nigeria / German Naija, Survival Tips / Dana Air Passenger Plane Crashed In Alagbado, DG Confirms No Survival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Survival by depapa06(m): 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2008
@ Londolcool,

Pls I want to know if one could still get visa without hotel reservation.Secondly,must the number of days tally with duration of stay.
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 9:55pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Survival by LondonCool(m): 9:58pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Survival by depapa06(m): 10:22pm On Sep 16, 2008
@ Londoncool,

Thanks for the reply.

Please,I still need more general info.I was in the UK last year on a 6 months(multiple entry) business visa.Now, I have a plan of visiting while on my annual leave.What duration of visa do you suggest I put in for,1 or 2 years.

Secondly,when do I do the booking?After granted visa or details to be submitted with application.
Re: Survival by walexy(m): 11:12pm On Sep 16, 2008
@ Londoncool

Thanks for the advice. I was unable to make it to the UK on the date stated on my VAF (same applies to my booking confirmation) simply because i was very busy @ work. Can i make another hotel booking whenever am good to go? Your reply will be so much appreciated.

@ depapa06

Still the same document you used in securing your first 6 months visa. I applied for another 6 months extention (since i can only travel once a year) after the expiration of my first 6 months tourist visa, but was granted a 2 years extention. Still beats my imagination till today.

1 Like

Re: Survival by depapa06(m): 5:39am On Sep 17, 2008
@ LondonCool,
@ Walexy,

Thank you guys for the info.

Keep it up.
Re: Survival by damiso(f): 11:46am On Sep 17, 2008
LondonCool:

@ty4real,

Two of my oyibo colleagues at the Immigration got married to each other last year and were getting dissapointed that the caterers were late in bringing in the food for the visitors during the wedding reception. Next door to the wedding reception another wedding just finshed so the caterers there decided to lend their staff to my colleagues wedding reception.

To everyone's dismay when it was time to serve grub none of the catering staff were anywhere to be found.It was later discovered that outside the venue the wedding photographer was taking group pictures and because both married couple were Immigration staff the Photographer shouted "Immigration" to the crowd in order to indicate that all Immigration staff should come and join the couple for the picture. At the sound of the word "Immigration" the Asian staff and some few Black folk just dissappeared into thin air.It was quite funny.

cool ANOTHER SURVIVAL TIP
Know your environment.If you know that you are an overstayer becareful where you step your feet. Assess every place you go to, evaluate your enemy-the Immigration Officer (or Police ).Ask yourself will the Immigration/Police likely turn up if I am here.

One of my stubborn Tennants (he was a Nigerian of course) who refused to quit my property was picked up by the Police during a routine check as he was driving his girlfriends car at night back from a Club. He had no driving licence, and he had no stay. I told him he was an overstayer but he kept on posing as if he had a Student visa. The Police picked him up, took his picture, fingerprints and DNA sample for their database, sent him to court and he should be on his way back to Owerri without any right to apply for a UK visa for the next 10 years, leaving his gullible Zimbabwean girlfriend and baby behind, after serving his prison sentence.

grin grin ;Dreally really funny.My sis in law too works at the home office and i know some people who will never call me there when we go to visit.If i say 'save your credit are you at home let me call the landline' the next question would be 'which of your sis in law's place are@ is it the immigi one' at my yes the next thing i will hear is 'no thanks in short bye will talk to you later' as if the poor woman is bugging my phone to catch all overstayers.Sometimes members of their family will never talk in her presence as they are so scared of her.But to be fair to her its really not in her best interest to hear what they have to say sometimes.As she is very strict when it comes to certain issues.Even when i was still dating her bro and just came for hols she would be so worried about when i was returning home.It was all good sha as all her warnings helped when we wanted to apply for my settlement visa as those people are ready to refuse on just a single contradiction in your application.
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the previous answer.

What is an international driving licence?

Do I need to apply for one before I leave Nigeria?

How long can I use it for?

How do I go about changing it to a UK driving licence?

Do I have to do any test to change my driving licence to one issued in the UK?
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2008
My potential employer told me I need to have an NI number before they can employ me, but the Jobcentre told me that I need to be employed before I can be issued with an NI number. Who is right?
Re: Survival by damiso(f): 3:55pm On Sep 17, 2008
Busy_body:

My potential employer told me I need to have an NI number before they can employ me, but the Jobcentre told me that I need to be employed before I can be issued with an NI number. Who is right?

well depends on circumstances.when i intially got into the uK alot of people told me i had to get a job first then apply for NI no.What happened in my case was that i had been applying for jobs online before i left naija on websites like reed,hays,jobsite etc so that by the time i actually got here i had a couple of interviews lined up.I called up to apply for an Ni and luckily got an interview date two weeks later.What i then did was to print out the interview letters and take them along to the interview.The lady who interviewed me did ask if i already had a job which i didnt i just expalined that i had about 3 interviews lined up so would need to get my NI ASAP.She made copies of those letters and attached to my application. I got my no in 2 weeks and my card about 3 weeks later.So i think if you provide proof of interviews that you may start work soon it actually helps.And i did not get any of those jobs if i may add.So you should probably try that as most co's wont offer you employement without an NI as i know there were some online forms i could not go ahead with as NI column was a required field.
Re: Survival by tos(m): 7:52pm On Sep 17, 2008
Technically, the Jobcentreplus was right to tell you that you do not need an NIN to be employed especially where an interview for NIN has been schedulued or where the NI application is still being considered. However, employers are usually careful when it comes to holding NI deducted from their employees salaries without remitting it to the HMRC. Also, where an employee fails to provide an NIN, there is this directive on the HMRC website that an emergency tax code should be used for such person as the tax authority does not have any mechanism to determinestuffthe actual tax position of such person.

In light of this, employers will prefer to have your NIN handy before offering you any job whatsoever. As far as some employers are concerned, the NIN is an indication of your right to work in the UK.

Concerning the NIN application, the joncentreplus usually request for evidence that the applicant is actively looking for job. What is the essence of giving someone an NIN without the person having any intention to work. All applicants need to do is look for jobs through jobsites such as Hays, Monster, Accountancyage (sorry, these are the ones relevant to my profession), etc, and print copies of the applications to be presented at the NIN interview at Jobcentreplus. Another important document is proof of residence, which in most cases, are utility bills. But where you cannot provide one, it is advisable to apply for a UK provisional driving licence as soon as you land in the UK. This will be accepted as proof of residence for the purpose of your application for NIN and other important stuff like opening bank accounts, etc.
Re: Survival by femigirl(f): 11:09pm On Sep 17, 2008
London Cool,

Good  topic, I learnt  alot as I am a  sponsor.

Busy body,
international  driving licence allows  you to drive aboard  with  your current  country licence. It  valid for  a  year. I  believe it cost about six  thousand  naira.

Damiso,
It shame this  guy  had  to learn the hard way, these type  people  make  me sick.
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 2:05am On Sep 18, 2008
To Damiso and TOS respectively

Right, so as far as the NIN goes, proof of interview or copies of application is sufficient to get an NI number.

Thank you guys.
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 2:15am On Sep 18, 2008
femigirl:

Busy body,
international driving licence allows to drive aboard with your current country licence. It valid for a year. I believe it cost six thousand naira. . .

Oh-oh, so I need to be in possesion of Nigerian driving licence as well as an international driving licence before I can drive in UK undecided Holy cow shocked, I never knew this, I have been driving around UK with a Nigerian driving licence only, for the past six years, and I have never been asked to produce my licence before. I need to start driving more carefully from now on. embarassed
Re: Survival by brownbonno(m): 8:41am On Sep 18, 2008
Busy_body:

Oh-oh, so I need to be in possesion of Nigerian driving licence as well as an international driving licence before I can drive in UK undecided Holy cow shocked, I never knew this, I have been driving around UK with a Nigerian driving licence only, for the past six years, and I have never been asked to produce my licence before. I need to start driving more carefully from now on. embarassed

The Nigeria Drivers licence is only valid for 12 months from the day you took residence in the UK.International licence is not necessary.Within the 12 months you are expected to get the UK provisional licence,pass your theory and practical test and get a valid UK drivers licence.After the 12 months your foreign licence is deemed invalid and the provisional licence rules applies.
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 9:26am On Sep 18, 2008
brownbonno:

The Nigeria Drivers licence is only valid for 12 months from the day you took residence in the UK.International licence is not necessary.Within the 12 months you are expected to get the UK provisional licence,pass your theory and practical test and get a valid UK drivers licence.After the 12 months your foreign licence is deemed invalid and the provisional licence rules applies.

Baba Bomboi, thanks for the information kiss I have actually held a UK provisional licence for 12 years, and I have never been stopped by anyone, yet. It's just that I don't know if it is a good idea for me to do the practical test. I don't want the record of being the candidate with the lowest score ever tongue Besides, why fix something if it aint broke cool

@ OP

TV licence evasion is a "criminal matter". Pay it if you can, and if you cannot afford it lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Survival by brownbonno(m): 10:16am On Sep 18, 2008
Busy_body:

why fix something if it aint broke cool

Cost of fixing might be too expensive !
Driving a vehicle without a valid licence automatically invalidate the insurance(double wahala)
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 10:39am On Sep 18, 2008
Don't write me off as a total delinquent yet tongue I am insured to drive on my provisional licence, so blame the insurance company, tongue but only blame them for charging me high excesses and premium, how dare they? It makes me very cross  angry cheesy
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 10:43am On Sep 18, 2008
BrownB

Why do some people say they are not insured to drive other people's cars, yet they have insurance? If it is on the insurance policy, It is not fair to lock one's insurance to one car only. Please, is there a way round this? undecided not that I care though cool cheesy
Re: Survival by brownbonno(m): 11:02am On Sep 18, 2008
Busy_body:

BrownB
Why do some people say they are not insured to drive other people's cars, yet they have insurance? If it is on the insurance policy, It is not fair to lock one's insurance to one car only. Please, is there a way round this? undecided not that I care though cool cheesy

No rounds baby.You cannot driver other cars except there is named and unnamed drivers clause on the policy.Third party insurance is allowed for comprehensive policy holder,but a recent soaring claims by young drivers have made major insurance companies to change their stance on this.
Re: Survival by Busybody2(f): 12:35pm On Sep 18, 2008

Sorry to bother you BrownBabyDaddy grin, you know it has not been easy looking after 7 children on my own cry since you dumped me angry angry angry

One last question please, incase maybe, just maybe, I will see the light like Paul on his way to Damascus cool and start behaving like an upright citizen and manage to convince myself that rules are not meant to broken because of the existence of punishment. cheesy 

So are you saying if I have an unnamed driver's clause on my policy I can drive any car or that I can only drive the car whose driver has an unnamed driver's clause on their policy?
Re: Survival by brownbonno(m): 1:04pm On Sep 18, 2008
Busy_body:

that I can only drive the car whose driver has an named/unnamed driver's clause on their policy?

Yes
Re: Survival by Onyeara: 11:37pm On Sep 18, 2008
Hi Guys,
Am in the UK, Any hint on how to arrange marriage or where to get someone will be appreciated.
Guys pin me pls
Re: Survival by nguage(m): 11:38pm On Sep 18, 2008
Onyeara:

Hi Guys,
Am in the UK, Any hint on how to arrange marriage or where to get someone will be appreciated.
Guys pin me please
You no sabi follow woman talk?
Re: Survival by contactuzo(m): 10:29am On Sep 19, 2008
@Londoncool, Damiso, Tos,Sienna et al

hi fellas, could u give me some advice?
Im on the verge of applying for the new points based high skilled migration.(replaces HSMP)
I presently work with one of the Big Four audit companies.
I scored 95 in the points calculator. have a Bsc in accountancy, CISA certified and ACCA partly qualified.26 years old
Please wat do u think are my chances of
1. getting the entry clearance and residence via the points based system?
2. Getting a decent job in the UK within at least 3 months of my arrival? say minimum of 30k p/a? (hope i dont sound too greedy?)
Plan to come with at least savings of 4000-5000 pounds, will the amount tide me over till I get a good job?

your responses will be well appreciated. The application costs well over 160,000! I want some real assurance before i do it, thanks a lot!
Re: Survival by tos(m): 11:19am On Sep 19, 2008
If you have scored 95 points and have experience with one of the big four audit firms in Naija like you stated, then you shouldn't have any problem being given an approval. However, the issuing of entry clearance depends on your savings.

Finding job in the UK is another huddle you must be prepared to cross. The credit crunch and recent layoffs in the financial sectors will make the job market crowdy for the next two months. But if you are prepared coming to the UK with the amount you mentioned, then you should be able to survive on that before securing a good job. The salary scale of the job you'll secure depends on whether you have a UK experience or not. You might secure a job with an experience in the UK but the pay would not be as anticipated by you.

However, you may consider taking up voluntary job in your field as soon as you land in the UK and do it for a month or two. I can assure you that as soon as this is included on your CV, the sky will be the limit for you. Though, there is nothing stopping you from registering with employment agencies as soon as you are in the UK, but I prefer applying directly to employer.

Agencies may be able to secure contract jobs paying £30k or more per annum depending on your experience in the UK. But if you prefer to go for permanent employment, you may be able to get jobs that will give you additional benefits like medical insurance, study support, paternity leave, career developments, etc.
Re: Survival by komekn(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2008
Busy_body,
Go to church and give a testimony, thanksgiving and a peace offering as well. Using a provisional licence for 12 years in the UK, and police no see your break light, dem no shine reach your side. Then most certainly, God has blinded the eyes of your adversaries and showered you with exceptional favour in other words great grace. Maybe you can truly quote, Galatians 5:18 But if you are guided (led) by the [Holy] Spirit, you are not subject to the Law. (Amplified). grin shocked grin shocked grin

As Siena rightly put it, you are only entitled to drive with a qualified driver by your side so if you are driving by yourself then your entitlement to drive is invalidated as well as your insurance, and you are breaking the law. But still give a testimony, Wow !!!

If you are over 25 and you have comprehensive car insurance in most cases you will have insurance cover to drive any other car that is not within your household or registered to you.
Re: Survival by contactuzo(m): 11:47am On Sep 19, 2008
@TOS
Insert Quote
If you have scored 95 points and have experience with one of the big four audit firms in Naija like you stated, then you shouldn't have any problem being given an approval. However, the issuing of entry clearance depends on your savings.

Finding job in the UK is another huddle you must be prepared to cross. The credit crunch and recent layoffs in the financial sectors will make the job market crowdy for the next two months. But if you are prepared coming to the UK with the amount you mentioned, then you should be able to survive on that before securing a good job. The salary scale of the job you'll secure depends on whether you have a UK experience or not. You might secure a job with an experience in the UK but the pay would not be as anticipated by you.

However, you may consider taking up voluntary job in your field as soon as you land in the UK and do it for a month or two. I can assure you that as soon as this is included on your CV, the sky will be the limit for you. Though, there is nothing stopping you from registering with employment agencies as soon as you are in the UK, but I prefer applying directly to employer.

Agencies may be able to secure contract jobs paying £30k or more per annum depending on your experience in the UK. But if you prefer to go for permanent employment, you may be able to get jobs that will give you additional benefits like medical insurance, study support, paternity leave, career developments, etc.

@TOS
Thanks for your prompt response.Im very grateful, but ur answers threw up some more questions,
for instance are u saying a Tier 1  approval doesnt necessarily mean entry clearance issuance?
When u say savings ,how much are we talking of here?,
I know ure a busy man, sorry for taking up ur time,
promise wont bother u again for the next 24 hrs wink
thanks

one more thing I obviously dont have UK experience,but my work in one of the big four,dem no go consider am so?

truth be told my fiancee is a student over there,she's convincing me dat we should settle there, so im studying my options, thanks again
Re: Survival by tos(m): 1:07pm On Sep 19, 2008
You are certainly considering the right route for settlement.  Personally, I find it worthwhile having experience in the developed countries to let you have an idea that those "oyinbos" are afterall not gods.  By the way, you will need to show that you can sustain yourself during the period of unemployment without recourse to public funds.  They consider it very important to deny whoever they deem to be a potential liability to them.

You need to apply for entry clearance after being granted the approval like I said earlier.  I believe you need to show that you have a saving of about £2.8k at least three month prior to applying for the entry clearance. You must substantiate this with evidence in the form of cash funds. Other accounts or financial instruments for example, shares, bonds, pension funds or agreed overdraft facilities are not acceptable as evidence.

However, you do not have to show that you have had the funds for at least three months before your application if you are submitting your application after 31 October 2008. You must only show you have the required funds at the time you apply.

I will suggest you take things one at a time.
Re: Survival by contactuzo(m): 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2008
You are certainly considering the right route for settlement. Personally, I find it worthwhile having experience in the developed countries to let you have an idea that those "oyinbos" are afterall not gods. By the way, you will need to show that you can sustain yourself during the period of unemployment without recourse to public funds. They consider it very important to deny whoever they deem to be a potential liability to them.

You need to apply for entry clearance after being granted the approval like I said earlier. I believe you need to show that you have a saving of about £2.8k at least three month prior to applying for the entry clearance. You must substantiate this with evidence in the form of cash funds. Other accounts or financial instruments for example, shares, bonds, pension funds or agreed overdraft facilities are not acceptable as evidence.

However, you do not have to show that you have had the funds for at least three months before your application if you are submitting your application after 31 October 2008. You must only show you have the required funds at the time you apply.

I will suggest you take things one at a time.

@TOS
Thanks again, im grateful,
I'll definetely keep u posted on the progress I make,
On a scale of 1 to 10 , I rate u a 12.5! cheesy
Re: Survival by Tats(m): 4:13pm On Sep 19, 2008
For official help with settling down, check www.direct.gov.uk. It contains many links to important information including NI, Driving, Tax, Electoral roll, GP registration, e.t.c.

@Busy_body,
Permit me to follow @Komekn to hail you.

Wetin you do fit reach make them deny person ILR if them catch am! I guess say you get "Pali" so that side no reach you. Dat na conviction straight, disqualification from driving for some time, with fine and penalty points on licence when you never even get!  grin grin.  But seriously, you should consider getting a full licence. Use the DSA CD-Rom and you will pass the theory test like a breeze. It was very useful to me as I got perfect scores in the multiple choice and near perfect scores in harzard perception test. The practical test shouldn't be difficult for you since you have been driving here. Just do a few lessons with an instructor to give you tips and you will be fine. Congrats in advance of passing your theory and practical test!
Re: Survival by chika98: 9:52pm On Sep 20, 2008
THis is turning into a Visa advice thread. na wa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Delta Awards Contract For Second Int’l Airport / 4 Countries With The Easiest Visa Procedures For International Students / How Can I Disvirgin My Passport? Help Please...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.