Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

How Do Credit Cards Work? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do Credit Cards Work? (5472 Views)

Verify Paypal With Our Virtual Credit Cards / Credit Cards In Nigerian Banks / To Get Legitimate Credit Cards in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by Neoteny(m): 3:52pm On Jul 09, 2006
c'mon fellas this is gettin out of hand. wats wit all the insults? and i believe u are bein 2 hard on beyunce. i dont see anywhere within her post where she claims credit for herself, a brother asked a question and she researched on it so wats wrong wit that? maybe she dosnt know the inner workings of banks and credit cards therefore she cannot base her contribution on any inner knowledge but that doesnt mean she cant help someone out. i mean, wat the hell do we hav google and other search engines for? all knowledge comes from somwhere and i cant see where she was gloatin and preening herself after some praised her. so lets be a lil more constructive and mature here n drop the slags, they do us no good. as long as info is aaurate and helpful it dont matter to me where it came from or wether it was copied and pasted. at least wen darkmanzero and i argued on ps3/xbox360 we pointed out where we lifted off info. so be cool.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by vickybabe(f): 4:20pm On Jul 09, 2006
credit cards

americans and credits cards are one. nobody is that rich they just put everything on their credit, you will see them drive big cars, live in big houses, it is all a lie it is gbese.

i went to a financial seminar to teach the youths of today the right path, the guy said him and his wife have a total of 60 credit cards, why? becos they live in a house and have two children. his total debt was $60,000 in a year. he just advise us to stay away for any form of credit for the future
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by OldGlory1(m): 5:33pm On Jul 09, 2006
VickyBabe

Did you say 60 Credit Cards? Now that means the work to pay bills.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by Akolawole(m): 6:55pm On Jul 09, 2006
bankymi:

Akolawole,
To be honest,[b]you only succeded in making a goofy contribution.[/b]And i think its wise to stay off discussions if one does not have any idea on the topic.i see no reason when you shoul query cream 2 who made a compedious and accurate explanation of how a credit card works.The two points tou highlighted were wrong.One,i have a friend who is not a homeowner but has a credit limit of 11000.Two,i have been using credit cards 4 more than 5 years so i know they don't charge u when u use them to pay for goods.besides,cream2 only used 10000 as an hypothetical example.He said"say 10000, " May be the problem with some people is english!well done Beyonce1 for your explanation.You must be a banker!
The key thing about credit cards is discipline.If u are not,please don't go near it!

Jackal:

@ Bankymi.

Akolawole is just one of those lads who thinks he knws everything but he does not know jack.
He believes everything by the book and he does not know there are ways to go about a lot of things.

bankymi:

Jackal,
Yes,people like Akolawole like making monkeys of themselves.I hope he has read your own informed contribution.We are on this forum to learn and exchange ideas But that is not a mandate for any Tom,Dick and Harry to open their mouth and say jargons.Some people can be misinformed or disinformed by this handful of loudmouths.

cream2:

@ Akolawole

Take your time to read posts properly and crucially "think" about what was written.

reyes4eva:

grin grin grin grin grin

Don't come hard on Akolawole.

He is a JJC in the land.
Most things he writes here are beer-parlor/pub gists or things one of his mates must have told him in the past.

He will learn in due time to button up his lips on things he does not know about. lipsrsealed

I cant stop laughing.

I am very very proud to be Ekitiman born and bread in Ibadan. No comment yet. grin grin grin grin

@Waleolad

Sorry, the thread is going towards another direction. Just watch out.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by vickybabe(f): 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2006
@ old glory

no kidding, 60 cards, after he paid them all off he paste them all onto a board so he can remember the lifef he use to live
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by T2(m): 10:16pm On Jul 09, 2006
actually my intention was not to take beyonce1 2 d cleaners, I just found her write up very very accurate and wondered how she had the time to write that down so fast, and my spidey senses started to tingle.

Perhaps she should have pointed she lifted it somewhere? Maybe her prerogative but just wanted to point out it wasn’t an original considering all the personal accolades.

@Jackal
I aint a professor o, its all thanks to d power of google  grin

Walelead, I guess you have all the answers you need and can make your decision now. Didn’t wanna hijack ure post
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by beyonce1(f): 10:41pm On Jul 09, 2006
Neoteny:

c'mon fellas this is gettin out of hand. wats wit all the insults? and i believe u are bein 2 hard on beyunce. i don't see anywhere within her post where she claims credit for herself, a brother asked a question and she researched on it so wats wrong wit that? maybe she dosnt know the inner workings of banks and credit cards therefore she cannot base her contribution on any inner knowledge but that doesnt mean she can't help someone out. i mean, what the hell do we hav google and other search engines for? all knowledge comes from somwhere and i can't see where she was gloatin and preening herself after some praised her. so lets be a lil more constructive and mature here n drop the slags, they do us no good. as long as info is aaurate and helpful it don't matter to me where it came from or wether it was copied and pasted. at least when darkmanzero and i argued on ps3/xbox360 we pointed out where we lifted off info. so be cool.

OH NO ! WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON HERE ?  
THANX a great deal @ Neoteny, I think u 've been incredibly sensible  kiss

Now to the F.B.Is in da house, I am TOTALLY DISSAPPOINTED, I only did a research for someone who needed it, I 'm pretty sure it was helpful. I never knew this would go towards this direction  sad I did not state anything proudly to reflect that I composed it myself. I am an Accountant, I was never a literature student, so I am not aware it is ILLEGAL not to state where a solution came from ! I did a research and PICKED the most explanatory, and I'm also sure you people also learned one or two things from it, so why the criticism? to be honest I first pasted just the link, but later thought it would be better to paste the whole definition. if it is a crime to help out on querys like this, then I'd suggest people do researches themselves, and not even ask questions on forums AT ALL, at least we are all aware of GOOGLE !  cool
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by WesleyanA(f): 11:04pm On Jul 09, 2006
damn all these haters!!!!  shocked 

this is a forum not AP Euro Hist. class. (whoever made the reference to turnitin.com)  lipsrsealed

If someone need help, there's no sin in pasting info from a site (she forgot to add the link or might not even know she was supposed to) but she didn't say anywhere that she wrote it herself. All you guys needed to do is inform her to cite her source next time
We all agreed her post was VERY informative. now how many people who researched the stuff "themselves" brought up accuate help as hers?
So yes, cutting, pasting and redirecting are good options a lot of times.

And yes I know there are many companies that only give credit to Homeowners alone. I wouldn't even advice a non-home owner to go a credit as HUGE as that except if he/she is a bound to fall hard optimist (no pun intended).  tongue
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by Jackal(m): 11:47pm On Jul 09, 2006
grin shocked

Forgive 'Em Father For They Know Not What They Do.

@WesleyanA,
Two wrongs don't make a right and i think its totally absurd for u to bring someone else's parents into a public forum.
U have the right to correct whatz wrong but don't cross the deadline by saying someone's parents are lazy.

Keep an eye on ur lips, watch what u spew.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by WesleyanA(f): 4:07am On Jul 10, 2006
i never called his parents lazy.  embarassed
I only said shame for calling Nigerians lazy (i'm pretty sure he is too). I modified it 'cause he probably might find it offensive.
I knew YOU were going to have probs w/ it 'cause you were saying the same thing in the other thread  cheesy
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 4:30am On Jul 10, 2006
@wesly

i can see u hate turnitin.com. why do u hate that site or is there something you do with your class work you dont want your prof to know huh? cheesy cheesy wink wink
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by WesleyanA(f): 4:39am On Jul 10, 2006
Oh Noooo!!! shocked
I'm a good student and won't cheat. embarassed
I use spark notes sometimes (when necessary) but never to cheat or anything like that.
the only time i cheated was when i had to meet a deadline i couldn't make so i re-used an old 9th grade essay (yeah i keep all my school work in case of emergencies).

turnitin sucks because of the 12:00 midnight deadlines that's all. undecided and you can't make innocent faces or give excuses to the computer so i have to suck it up and stay up all night (yeah i procastinate a lot).
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 4:46am On Jul 10, 2006
@wesly

ok, let me believe you but im still looking at you with one eye shaa.
i hate turnitin. i dont even know how to ue the site but i heard its only for professors or something. i aint got time for it.
about sparknotes, i rarely use it. i prefer reading everything up on my own

and i procastinate alot. i do my works when its like 2 hours to deadline. embarassed embarassed
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 4:48am On Jul 10, 2006
i use my debit card and i aint thinking of getting a credit card. i have had many seductive offers but i aint going there way. i wann@ spend from my pocket but i just appied for one to keep in my closet. my debit card is always loaded and i never lack cuzz i got God to back me up.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by ddizzle(f): 4:51am On Jul 10, 2006
u see something i love my debit card because when they say no money day i swallow my pride go home bt with credit card the only plus is credit building bt aside from that why pay for something you cant afford then!
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 4:52am On Jul 10, 2006
yeah dat makes sense. i use my debit card so i can be in check. credit cards are wahala on their own. they are ticking time bombs waiting to go off.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by WesleyanA(f): 4:56am On Jul 10, 2006
@ diddy4,
"one eye"? oh well. I seriously don't cheat and wouldn't.  undecided
turnitin is for professors only?   My High school teacher uses it for us! (it's a college level AP course so i won't oppose your statement).

Debit card is def. the way to go!  grin
You can get a credit card but only use it on necessities. or better still, save your money to get what you want.
I bet you'll get a credit card later on.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 5:00am On Jul 10, 2006
im still thinking of it. but i wont. my debit card is ok and i really know the way i shop. i shop when i hold enuff. so i wont get it. unless if it is just to keep it in my closet.

i will do what one of my friends did. he got a card. bought a $1000 stuff with it, and paid off the card withing 2 months. his score rose and he just kept the card in his closet.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by WesleyanA(f): 5:04am On Jul 10, 2006
srry for my ignorance but what's "score"?
They give you points for paying back fast? Does that mean your allowed to borrow larger amounts nxt time? just guessing.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 5:08am On Jul 10, 2006
i meant points. yeah, you are allowed to borrow larger amount but that is away to get you. the larger you borrow, the high the interest if u dont repay at a stipulated time. and thats basically how they get rich. cuzz if it takes long for you to pay off the amount, when you through with the paying off, you must have paid way over the amount you borrowed. paying off as fast as you got the loan aint good for their kind of business.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 5:08am On Jul 10, 2006
paying off fast is good for us but not so good for them.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by WesleyanA(f): 5:21am On Jul 10, 2006
i see. thanks!
I'm pretty sure my mom's not been scoring any credit card points then. j/k

diddy4:

paying off fast is good for us but not so good for them.
lol
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 5:22am On Jul 10, 2006
anytime hun
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by omoniger(m): 2:44pm On Jul 10, 2006
hey,you guys are getting abusive here.Pls gently correct the ignorant ones and lets have fun.

Credit is necessary but from what is happening out there,it's one sure way to build yourself a mountain size of debt that your generation unborn may not be able to pay.

The thing is,if you are not financially disciplined stay away from credit cards.CHIKENA
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by waleleader(m): 6:29pm On Jul 10, 2006
diddy4:

@wesly

i can see u hate turnitin.com. why do u hate that site or is there something you do with your class work you don't want your prof to know huh? cheesy cheesy wink wink

Diversifying to talk about www.turnitin .com,I think the software is crap. its not only for proffessors, some UK university students have access cos you need to check your coursework before submission . I dislike it because it will always find a fault in your thesis even if you never plagirised. Imagine it regarding "Consolidated Trading Profit and Loss" as lifting!!!
Is that not a general accounting term?
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by diddy4(m): 6:45pm On Jul 10, 2006
yes it is. i dislike dat site with passion. i cracked my head on night finishing my project, only to submit it and hear from my prof dat i plagirised. i was like what? how? where? when? she said it is what turnitin.com showed. i looked at her with one eye and told her to better leave that site b4 something bad happens to her laptop. she later told me dat she understands why the damn site said dat, its cuzz of the general terms i used. i got really pissed.

dat site is a whole lott@ mess
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by K2: 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2006
@Walelead, I guess a lot of folks had already given credit card bad names telling you to stay away from them. Here's my opinion: trash all that talk. You need credit cards.
1. I'm not sure where others reside but in yankee, you can do virtually nothing substantial unless you have credit. Even bad credit is better than none (oxymoron right?)
2. Without credit, no one would loan you money to buy a house or even a car. But I guess if you have $300,000 to pay in cash right away to acquire a house you could. Unfortunately doing that is not a wise financial move.
3. To do the above, you'd need to build your credit. It doesn't happen overnight. With credit cards, you'd be able to start building your credit one step at a time.
4. The way western world is setup, it's around credit. If you have good credit, you'd be able to get a whole lot done.
Now what you need is to be able to manage your credit and not let it manage you. Just like you master money and not let it master you. Several folks that have been able to do this successfully have reaped the rewards. Good luck!
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:10pm On Jul 19, 2006
3. To do the above, you'd need to build your credit. It doesn't happen overnight. With credit cards, you'd be able to start building your credit one step at a time.
4. The way western world is setup, it's around credit. If you have good credit, you'd be able to get a whole lot done.Now what you need is to be able to manage your credit and not let it manage you. Just like you master money and not let it master you. Several folks that have been able to do this successfully have reaped the rewards. Good luck!

thats the shizzle!!
it's all about control
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by babaibadan(m): 1:12am On Sep 27, 2006
very educative thread. kudos to everyone who contributed; both foolishly and wisely
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by alinco2(f): 1:37am On Sep 27, 2006
info, counter-info cheesy cheesy cheesy
only hope it doesnt degenerate
to verbal war lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by Ndipe(m): 3:49am On Nov 01, 2006
Credit card is different from a debit card. With a debit card, you are actually withdrawing money from your bank account, whereas, a credit card is some sort of a loan from financial institution. Now, the rate varies from 0% to as high as 20%, if not more. Credit cards are necessary, because you use them to build credit. Without having credit in this country, you cant even build a house. Prospective loan officers would check your credit score to ascertain if you have been diligent with your credit card payments, before they entrust you with a home loan.

I'd say, dont panic, apply for one and get it, but please be very judicious with your spending, especially on credit cards. The interest rate alone can bankrupt you, if you are not careful, and you may be in perpetual slavery to this institutions to pay off your debts. But is this not America where mortgage for a house can stretch to as long as 30 years (places in California are offering a 40 year loan). But if you are having a hard time paying bills in London, omo, fashi credit card and put your finances in order.

10 thousand pounds for a credit card limit? That's no biggie.
Re: How Do Credit Cards Work? by Adley12: 5:35pm On Mar 31, 2010
Hi,

A credit card is a means of buying goods and services on credit (a small personal loan). When you use a credit card, you are borrowing money against a line of credit. If you do pay your credit card balance in full before the grace period expires (usually about 25 days), you won't be charged interest.Credit cards have the most legal protections but it's useful,

Thank you

comprehensive company director reports

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Cashless" Lagos: How Are You Coping With It? / Shoprite Coming To Asaba, Delta State / Get Good Bales And Make Good Steady Income.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.