Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:45 PM

Help Me Out Please - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help Me Out Please (961 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Out Please by firstlady4(f): 11:44am On Sep 19, 2008
I want to go into graphic designing and I don't know which make of Laptop will be better for stuff like that. I also want to know the qualities to look at when buying a laptop how to know the year it was made etc. And which of this laptop last longer HP, DELL, TOSHIBA.

PLs guys I need urgent reply.
Re: Help Me Out Please by DualCore1: 12:06pm On Sep 19, 2008
Buying monitors for graphic design work
One of the most overlooked and undervalued purchases that many designers make when budgeting for a new computer system is the display screen.

A large computer monitor will accommodate all those floating palettes that modern graphics applications have, yet still leave room to see the artwork. The amount of time lost when designers have to move palettes around the screen, resize document windows, or scroll around the page can really add up over the course of a day.

For print design a 21" monitor, or larger, is an ideal. However, a 19" screen will probably suffice. For web design a 17" monitor is good for simulating the most popular size of computer monitor, but many web designers will find that the screen clutter created by Flash and Dreamweaver tool palettes is intrusive.

Hard disks, storage and backup devices

Backing up data is crucial for all professions. But for graphic designers, where each job can involve many dependent and irreplaceable documents, data loss is something that needs to be avoided at all costs.

Procedures for backing up data will generally vary depending on whether you are a freelance graphic designer, a small creative agency, or a large publishing or production company. A self employed designer may well get away with manually backing up work files onto an external hard disk, CD, DVD, or removable disk drive.

Printers and output devices for graphic designers

Laser printers, inkjets, dye sublimation, solid wax proofing devices and office and studio printers are all used to varying degrees by graphic designers.

Although web designers might only use an office printer for invoicing, or for making up proofs to show the client, print graphic designers will probably want to make much more extensive use of output devices.

Graphic designers use printers differently from most office workers, in that graphics quality is crucial, as is precise font positioning and layout. In addition, standard A4 printers are often not a large enough format for designers, who need to see how their design proofs look at full size with bleed. So often an A3 printer is a must. And then, of course, there is color proofing. If you are working as part of a team of designers, it is also worth checking that the printer has an ethernet network port, so that it can be accessed by the whole group.

Laser or Inkjet printers
Laser printers are generally much faster than inkjet printers, but they are also more expensive. Additionally, the color quality of some of the cheaper models leaves much to be desired. It is also worth noting that, whilst replacement laser toner cartridges are more expensive than inkjet cartridges, the toner lasts much longer.

Colour inkjet printers have become extremely cheap – although more expensive professional ink-jet proofing devices are also available and have largely replaced dye sublimation at the high end. With some models of inkjet, it is almost cheaper to buy a new printer, than pay for the replacement cartridges. However, the image quality between different models is also variable and, if color accuracy is important, it is worth checking out a number of models in action before committing any serious money. Popular manufacturers of Inkjet printers include HP, Epson, Canon and Tektronix.

Portable versus desktop computers
Many freelance graphic designers are tempted to buy a laptop computer. The advantages are obvious, but there are disadvantages as well.

The benefits for a designer of using a portable computer are obvious. Laptops are useful for taking to clients, for transporting work to and from the office and they also take up a lot less space in a creative home-office workspace.

In recent years many laptops have been sold as desktop replacements and some are packed with features that many desktop computers don't have, out of the box. For example Apple's Powerbooks and MacBook Pros come with fast processors, Firewire, gigabit ethernet networking, up to 17" screens and the ability to run dual monitors. And there are also portable Windows PCs, with equivalent specifications.

But if portability is not a crucial issue, then the disadvantages of buying a laptop are many. First and foremost is cost. Portables cost more and you get a lot more bang for your buck with a desktop computer. Obviously, portable devices cost a lot more to manufacture and so this cost is passed on to the consumer.

But desktop machines are also capable of being much more powerful than portable computers. Desktops can have faster processors, that would generate too much heat for a laptop PC. You can also put far more RAM memory into a desktop computer, faster and larger hard disks (and more than one) and more powerful graphics cards. So if you spend a lot of time working with large files in Adobe Photoshop, or rendering 3D animations, then a desktop computer will generally save a lot of time

Desktop computers are also far more expandable. They generally have more input and output sockets and ports, which allows for connection to more peripherals, such as external hard disks and printers. In addition, as and when a new graphics card comes out, or a hard disk becomes full, they can easily and cheaply be upgraded.

Hope all this plenty talk would be useful to u wen making a choice. For a lot more info please check http://www.designtalkboard.com/
Re: Help Me Out Please by firstlady4(f): 12:56pm On Sep 19, 2008
Thanks my friend.

But how can I know d quality of a good laptop and the expiring date. Am about to get a tokunbor laptop I have to get some things about it b4 I buy it.
Pls I need your reply.
Re: Help Me Out Please by DualCore1: 1:21pm On Sep 19, 2008
Laptops dont have expiry dates, although some of dem could be outdated. can u send me a message on yahoo messenger? my id is k_frill
if u cant i'll try to break it down here.
Re: Help Me Out Please by firstlady4(f): 10:46am On Sep 22, 2008
Thanks friend I just mail you.
Cheer
Re: Help Me Out Please by toksbumnex(m): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2008
Toshiba computer are the best laptop computers.they are durable and portable.they have they good qualities of a good computers which include fastness,high storage capacity.to read more,visit
www.lapcompu..com
Re: Help Me Out Please by Nobody: 5:34am On Sep 24, 2008
@ first_lady,
i have a system for sale here is the specification,
Compaq Evo D510 USDT,
Processor: Intel Pentium(IV) 1.9Ghz,
RAM: 512 MB
Hardick: 20GB (can be upgraded)
Video Memory; 64MB
CR-ROM

and dont forget just try and google up the above spec, and you will see that the system is an ultra-slim desktop.
Re: Help Me Out Please by DualCore1: 8:47am On Sep 24, 2008
enitan2002:

@ first_lady,
i have a system for sale here is the specification,
Compaq Evo D510 USDT,
Processor: Intel Pentium(IV) 1.9Ghz,
RAM: 512 MB
Hardick: 20GB (can be upgraded)
Video Memory; 64MB
CR-ROM

and don't forget just try and google up the above spec, and you will see that the system is an ultra-slim desktop.

and in ur professional experience (if any), u think the above spec would even be half fit for her graphic designing needs?
Re: Help Me Out Please by inze(m): 11:09am On Sep 24, 2008
@DC,

get out of my mind !!! cheesy

i was about to say the same thing
Re: Help Me Out Please by uspry1(f): 12:48pm On Sep 24, 2008
I am in a graphic and website designing service business and i agreed with both @Dual Core and @Inze have said it all about the posting by @enitan2002's computer system specification is the half fit what the poster needs.

You need to buy NEWER BUSINESS/HOME-OFFICE COMPUTER SYSTEM or LAPTOP fitting your graphic designing needs. (, NOT STUDENT/ACADEMIC or MEDIA ENTERTAINMENT type you are able to know the different type of system categories when it comes to shop around computer store)
Re: Help Me Out Please by firstlady4(f): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2008
Thanks guys for the info
Re: Help Me Out Please by firstlady4(f): 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2008
Dual Core

Can you pls give me the spec that will suite my graphic design needs plssssssssssssss
Re: Help Me Out Please by DualCore1: 5:46am On Sep 26, 2008
first_lady:

Dual Core

Can you please give me the spec that will suite my graphic design needs plssssssssssssss
Uspry, can u help me do this? I'm not fully into graphic designs, so cant really come up with the killer spec wink
Re: Help Me Out Please by firstlady4(f): 12:45pm On Sep 26, 2008
plssssssssss

(1) (Reply)

Problem With Yahoomessenger / Expresscard 3g Modem! / Guys be careful, there's a trojan on FB!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.