Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

What Is The What By Dave Edgars - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Is The What By Dave Edgars (1898 Views)

Bleeding Heart By Dave Linus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The What By Dave Edgars by SeanT21(f): 3:37pm On Sep 24, 2008
I recommend this book for everyone. Its so moving and Very beautiful.

This book is about A Lost Boy Of Sudan name Valentino Achack Deng. It tells us about how he and many other lost boys escaped the war in Sudan just to reside in a camp in Ethiopia. Along the way they face hardship like Famine, Death, Sickness, etc. He finally settled in Atlanta but it was all worth it eventhough it was not easy.

I am still reading the book and I can not get enough of it. I strongly recommend this book. Students should be reading books like this instead of those Shakespeare rubbish.

Re: What Is The What By Dave Edgars by blissfullynaughty: 5:18pm On Sep 24, 2008
Read this book. While it was not a bad tome, it lacked a certain oomph that makes a book stand out for me. Also, I noticed some errors and contradictions in the book which is always a no-no for me. Nevertheless, it was an interesting read and I will also recommend it, but not for students as it is not an example of a literary outstanding material and frankly, apart from learing about the Sudanese experience, it is not a shining example of any form of literature (one cannot recommend it on the ground that it is an example of African writing since the author is not African and to be candid, he has even written one or more better books). As for the Shakespear barb, the book does not hold a candle to Shakespear whatsoever.
Re: What Is The What By Dave Edgars by SeanT21(f): 10:41pm On Sep 24, 2008
blissfullynaughty:

Read this book. While it was not a bad tome, it lacked a certain oomph that makes a book stand out for me. Also, I noticed some errors and contradictions in the book which is always a no-no for me. Nevertheless, it was an interesting read and I will also recommend it, but not for students as it is not an example of a literary outstanding material and frankly, apart from learing about the Sudanese experience, it is not a shining example of any form of literature (one cannot recommend it on the ground that it is an example of African writing since the author is not African and to be candid, he has even written one or more better books). As for the Shakespear barb, the book does not hold a candle to Shakespear whatsoever.

ARE U SAYING A BOOK WITH THIS TYPE OF SUBSTANCE IS NOT BETTER THAN SHAKESPEARE GARBAGE?
Re: What Is The What By Dave Edgars by blissfullynaughty: 11:13pm On Sep 24, 2008
SeanT21:

ARE You SAYING A BOOK WITH THIS TYPE OF SUBSTANCE[b] IS NOT [/b] BETTER THAN SHAKESPEARE GARBAGE?

YES I AM! GBAM!!
Re: What Is The What By Dave Edgars by SeanT21(f): 2:40pm On Sep 25, 2008
blissfullynaughty:

YES I AM! GBAM!!

So you rather read about Lovers killing eachother, Kings killing eachother over Power Than Read about how a group of Young Boys were brave enough to walk for months To leave their war torn country. Reading This Book You Makes You see life on a whole another level. I guess You didnt.
Re: What Is The What By Dave Edgars by blissfullynaughty: 10:56pm On Sep 25, 2008
SeanT21:

So you rather read about Lovers killing eachother, Kings killing eachother over Power

It just goes to show the breadth of your knowledge of Shakespear.
SeanT21:

So you rather read about Lovers killing eachother, Kings killing eachother over Power Than Read about how a group of Young Boys were brave enough to walk for months To leave their war torn country.

I beg to differ. It was not bravery that made them walk, it was FEAR, DESPERATION AND SURVIVAL INSTINCT.

SeanT21:

Reading This Book You Makes You see life on a whole another level. I guess You didnt.

Maybe it did for you, but it did not for me. I already have an appreciation of the experiences of some people who have suffered in war torn countries. I have read many books and stories on the traumas, suffering, genocide, torture and sacrifice in Darfur, Rwanda, Sierra Leone stc even Afghanistan and Iraq. Many are better pieces of literature than 'What is the What'. I have even seen a couple of documentaries on 'The Lost Boys' so don't be surprised that I am not as impressed by the book as you apparently are.

I want to make it clear that I am in no way disparaging the book. I did quite like it. I just was not blown away by it and I do not think that just because someone writes something about another person's bad experience does not elevate the writer/work to the status of genius. This is however my own opinion which I am perfectly entitled to, as you are entitled to yours, which is, you think 'What is the What' is better than the entire works of Shakespeare. So let's agree to disagree.
Re: What Is The What By Dave Edgars by SeanT21(f): 5:32pm On Sep 26, 2008
OKay. No Problem.

I can respect Your opinion.

(1) (Reply)

Post a topic or comment and Earn Naira / I'm A Bad Kisser.. Should I Take My Doctor's Advice? / Superman & Cinderella By Rogue Writer ©

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.