Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. (1919 Views)

Facts: Lets Talk About Global Warming/climate Change. / High Level Of Accuracy Line Positioning Of 532nm Green Laser Line Generator / New Positioning Technology Could Compete With GPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by iukpe: 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2008
I have used a Garmin handheld GPS reciever for years now and recently acquired a Garmin 60csx handheld. I am looking at building a maps and routes database that I can share with others. Any GPS users out there can communicate.
I will post my routes of PH town and some parts of lagos here soon.
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by Henry234(m): 3:00pm On Sep 25, 2008
@poster

Emmmmh i hav heard stuffs about GPS and have read ebooks about it.

but i really want to know from you more about it.
How does it work? The GPS you are using it it like google earth software?

Can you view live images and building?
Please i will appreciate it if you tell me more about it,
thanx,
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by iukpe: 3:25pm On Sep 25, 2008
Basically what the GPS does is, locate your position or the GPS position by tracking and receiving signals from satellites in space. It uses the signals from this satellites to tell its exact location on the planet, North and East references. Speed, time of the day.
The Garmin GPS receivers I have used can plot your routes so you can find your actual travel path even out in open sea. You can never be lost with it.
basically I have mine to my car dash board most of the time when I am driving and it keeps a log of my trip and routes always. Again you can create way points to mark some important locations like your church, school, Library, filling station, banks, restaurants, hotels name it.

There are GPS maps available for several models of GPS for some major cities in the world. These are useful for visitors, travelers and tourists because you can find your way around a lot easily than you can Imagine.
My disappointment has been that there is no road maps anywhere of Nigerian with points of interest like banks. post offices hotels etc.
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by sayhi2ay(m): 3:35pm On Sep 25, 2008
i know my way around Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Abuja, Sokoto, people must be in dire need for this before they can embrace it, as it is, i dont think people will have much use for it. How do you expect the GPS to even calculate estimated time of arrival when there is no assigned speed limit or when traffic practically r on stand-still mostly?
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by iukpe: 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2008
We all know the way around our neighborhood, but what if I visited your state, how do I find a street in Surulere in Lagos I have never been to before in Ondo and the rest.
I agree that estimating the time for arrival might not be realistic considering our unique situation, but if I had to visit Ondo for a wedding or festival, I would need to know exactly when I get to some points like city halls , church, streets etc. GPS and road mapping information could also be very useful for truckers and goods delivery personnel.
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by Henry234(m): 2:01pm On Sep 27, 2008
yeaa i strongly agree with iukpe , gps will be very very useful with good delivery service.

But i want to clearly know something about this gps thing,

Can i use it to view live images? or just sketchs? am really eager to know this, or will it only be showing me roads of only,
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by sayhi2ay(m): 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2008
Dont confuse the US system with Naija, of course, you wouldnt, in the US, almost everyone has a car, you cant say same for Naija.
Have you ever sent a package to the other part of the nation and Fedex or DHL said they dont know the address?
If you need to find a particular street, ask an Okada rider or just grab a taxi, better still, ask the roasted plantain seller along the road.
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by Alireta: 8:59am On Sep 30, 2008
We have tried out at least one GPS system here on the Samsung i780 smartphone. Lock on time is very good - less than 2 minutes and our position was pinned.

Unfortunately, maps for Nigeria are still very scanty, and all we got was major expressroads and cities to compare our location with.

GoogleMaps on PC is more detailed - especially in Satellite view.

Hopefully, Nigerians will rise up to the challenge of creating content for our own use in this regard. Till then inner-city use of GPS is out of the question here.

For now, with what we obtained via the Samsung test, GPS is arguably currently useful only for finding your way between cities e.g. on a trip from Lagos to Abuja.
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by MaJBlige(f): 7:35am On Jan 10, 2011
mis information - try http://www.ceaser-web.com
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by nateevs(m): 11:52pm On Jan 15, 2011
sayhi2ay:

i know my way around Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Abuja, Sokoto, people must be in dire need for this before they can embrace it, as it is, i dont think people will have much use for it. How do you expect the GPS to even calculate estimated time of arrival when there is no assigned speed limit or when traffic practically r on stand-still mostly?

That's why it's called estimate. It keeps changing as traffic conditions change. Though I quite agree with the speed limit issue.
That said, things can always be done. . and yes there is a need for it.
Have you never been lost in Lagos before?
Re: Global Positioning System (gps) Owners, Lets Talk. by earthrealm(m): 11:53am On Mar 20, 2011
it works in naija, i use the gps with nokia maps,
i downloaded the nokia maps from nokia site, it works well. there was a day i was looking 4 khana str in dline, i drove round and round , no show, i then remembered my n86 and open the nokia maps with inbuilt gps, it showed me khana street and gave me a voice guided and on screen route on how to get there.

and it worked!, turned out the khana street was just abt 8mins from my present location

sinec that day i am now looking 4 an indash sat nav system, 4 cars,

(1) (Reply)

Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? / 10 Mysterious Things Science Can't Explain / How Villagers Help A Stranded Dolphin Back Into The Ocean (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.