Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Please Help Me In This - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Help Me In This (877 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me In This by nic121: 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2008
please i need help on a search algorithm to search for a word or phrase in a website from the database thank you so much.
Re: Please Help Me In This by Bossman(m): 7:31pm On Sep 29, 2008
Your request is somewhat vague. However, here is a start to what I think your request is.

Grab whatever was entered on a textbox on the website, send it to your database, and do a search/select against your database for whatever matches your search criteria (what was entered in the browser), return any matching results. There are obviously other things that need to be in place for this to function correctly. You provided very little information for one to give you detailed answers.

If this is a homework exercise, please post what you have done so far. The only way to succeed is to at least try.
Re: Please Help Me In This by nic121: 7:25pm On Oct 05, 2008
thanks for the advice though. this is part of my project i am working on you know these search engines work like even though you have an idea of what you want and you dont even give the exact thing a list would be provided for you to select from that is the kind of algorithm i have been searching for. thanks.
Re: Please Help Me In This by yawatide(f): 2:27am On Oct 06, 2008
@nic

I am not a DBA but you might want to try the following "down and dirty" technique:

1) have a DB with keywords that you think people will most likely search for.

2) Map these keywords to a URL and description.  In essence your DB will have at least 3 columns: keyword, URL, and Description

3) Capture the keyword in a textfied

4) Strip out all spaces and, if you are using PHP, use I blv removeslashes() (or whatever it is called)

5) query the DB with a "like" keyword (example: SELECT * FROM DB_NAME WHERE word LIKE keyword_goes_here). If the keyword searched on exists, you spit out the necessary fields, else you say something like, "your search didn't return any results, please search for something else". OR

6) Have results returned for similar keywords. In this case, you modify your DB based on 1 and 2 above, to account for the similar words and return those similar word results to the user.

Again, I am not a DBA but that is one "down and dirty" way of going about it.
Re: Please Help Me In This by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 06, 2008
google for sphider, its a php based search engine script, so you can have a glimpse of the task you have ahead of you.
Re: Please Help Me In This by BigStar1(m): 3:46pm On Oct 09, 2008
I guess SQL command like (SELECT * FROM Persons
WHERE City LIKE '%your search criteria%') OR should come up with every thing that has the search criteria
Re: Please Help Me In This by compkenny: 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2008
please somebody should help me

I want a solution using VB to design a diagnostic health system (A case study of diabetes mellitus system).
thanks.
my No: +2347030254634

(1) (Reply)

Programming / C++ & Gui / Pygtk Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.