Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,761 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

SA League Fans News And Update here - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / SA League Fans News And Update here (3268 Views)

Get Ur Updated Football Transfer News And Rumours Here!!! / SA League Far Ahead Of Nigeria Premier League ©2015 / For Those Not Watching The Match Nigeria Vs Malawi (update Here) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2008
PSL unveils Africa's richest domestic competition
SA2010 reporter
The Premier Soccer League (PSL) has proven once again that it is one of the most financially flush leagues in the world.

On Monday, banking giant - Nedbank - in partnership with the PSL unveiled the inaugural Nedbank Cup - South Africa's richest cup competition.

Nedbank marked their arrival in soccer rings in grand style with a cool R6-million first prize money.

The R6-million prize makes the PSL the richest domestic competition in Africa, easily outdoing the R4,25-million winners' prize landmark by the Telkom Knockout in 2006.

Speaking to journalists at the launch and official draw of the competition on Monday, PSL CEO, Kjetil Siem, expressed his delight.

"We have to applaud Nedbank for their commitment to local football", he said.

"This competition is one of the most important events on our calendar and with their support they are certainly raising the profile of this tournament," said Siem.

"Once again, the ball is in the court of the respective clubs to display a higher level of professionalism befitting the rise in commercial partners for the PSL," he said.

The South African soccer fraternity is still fresh from the announcement that this season's PSL title winners will bag a grand R10-million in total prize money.

The Nedbank Cup has a new slogan 'Ke Yona' meaning 'the one'.

NEDBANK CUP ROUND OF 32 FIXTURES

Mpumalanga Black Aces Vs Thanda Royal Zulu
Free State Stars Vs Platinum Stars
AmaZulu Vs Young Ones FC
BidVest Wits Vs Winners Park FC
Yebo Yes United Vs FC AK
Inspection FC Vs Black Leopards
Kaizer Chiefs Vs Ajax Cape Town
Santos Vs Orlando Pirates
FC Cape Town Vs Durban Stars
Nathi Lions Vs N.W. Shining Stars
Golden Arrows Vs Jomo Cosmos FC
African Warriors Vs Moroka Swallows
Matatiel Professionals Vs Bloemfontein Young Tigers
IKAPA Sporting Vs Bloemfontein Celtic
SuperSport United Vs Mamelodi Sundowns
Peace Lovers FC Vs Vasco Da Gama

- Team placed first denotes home team

PRIZE MONEY

1st - 6,000,000.00
2nd - 2,500,000.00
3rd - 1,000,000.00
4th - 1,000,000.00
5th - 400,000.00
6th - 400,000.00
7th - 400,000.00
8th - 400,000.00
9th - 200,000.00
10th - 200,000.00
11th - 200,000.00
12th - 200,000.00
13th - 200,000.00
14th - 200,000.00
15th - 200,000.00
16th- 200,000.00
17th - 32nd - 100,000 00
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:28pm On Sep 30, 2008
18 September 2008
'2010: the best the world has ever seen'
Pretoria – African National Congress (ANC) President Jacob Zuma has assured Fifa president Joseph Blatter that the 2010 Fifa World Cup™ to be hosted in South Africa will be the best ever.

The Fifa President concluded his four-day stay in South Africa with a courtesy visit to Zuma at the organisation’s headquarters, Luthuli House on Wednesday.

“I am happy to give Fifa the assurance of our full support for the Fifa World Cup with continuity ensured in all key areas.

South Africa is renowned for having hosted world events with distinction and should continue with this trend by making the Fifa World Cup in 2010 the best the world has ever seen,” said Zuma.

The talks were held in a frank and cordial atmosphere, and the focus was on the ongoing preparations for Fifa’s flagship competition, the 2010 Fifa World Cup.

The Fifa boss thanked Zuma for supporting the World Cup.

“Today I am a very happy President as during my four-day stay here in South Africa I was also pleased to hear during the various meetings that the 2010 Fifa World Cup is fully supported by all political and governmental authorities. I want also to thank Mr Zuma for taking the time for today’s briefing,” Blatter said.

Blatter was accompanied by Fifa General Secretary Jérôme Valcke, the Chairman of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) Irvin Khoza, LOC CEO Danny Jordaan and LOC board member and Fifa Goodwill Ambassador Tokyo Sexwale.

Also present at the meeting were ANC Treasurer General Matthews Phosa and ANC Presidency officials Zizi Kodwa and Lakela Kaunda.

Another topic touched upon was the current status of the national team.

“The greatest challenge will be for our soccer players to demonstrate to the country and the world that they can set a record equal to our Paralympians who have made us proud by winning several gold medals in Beijing,” said the ANC president.

He also stressed that the ANC was pleased with the level of progress being made in the country in terms of developing infrastructure, in particular the construction of stadiums and the improvement of roads and other related facilities which would bring the country and the Southern Africa Development Community region much needed revenue.

Meanwhile, Fifa President Blatter on Wednesday completed his four day visit to South Africa with an encouraging assessment of the preparations of the 2010 Fifa World Cup. “I am very pleased with what I have seen over the last few days, in particular in the stadiums.

The progress being made is good. With all the guarantees and assurances given by the political authorities, I am convinced that, together, we will bring the Fifa World Cup to a great success”, said Blatter who praised the warm welcome and strong support demonstrated by political and sports authorities, the Local Organising Committee (SALOC) and in particular the South African people with their spontaneous cheers.

His satisfaction stemmed from what he had witnessed in Johannesburg and Cape Town. Joseph S. Blatter was accompanied by Fifa Secretary General Jérôme Valcke as well as by Fifa Goodwill Ambassador Tokyo Sexwale on his visit.

At a well attended press conference at Ellis Park stadium (Johannesburg) today, the Fifa President also appealed to the South Africans to more strongly promote their World Cup within and outside South Africa. “The Fifa World Cup will be good for the credibility of this great country. South Africa will be an even prouder nation after having hosted this competition.”

In various meetings with political and sports authorities during the last four days, the Fifa President met the President of the Republic of South Africa, Thabo Mbeki, the Board of Directors of the LOC chaired by Irvin Khoza and comprising, among others, South African Football Association President Molefi Oliphant and LOC CEO Danny Jordaan.

Additional meetings were held with former Presidents of the Republic of South Africa and joint-winners of the Nobel Peace Prize, Nelson Mandela and Frederick W. de Klerk, the Mayor of Johannesburg, Amos Masondo, the Premier of the Western Cape Province, Lynne Brown and the Mayor of Cape Town, Helen Zille. The Fifa President also paid a courtesy visit to ANC-President Jacob Zuma.

Mr Mandela, who received a specifically manufactured replica of the Fifa World Cup Trophy from the Fifa President, said during the meeting: “It was my desire to meet you and I am happy that we managed it. Thank you for this very special gift.”

In the SALOC Board meeting on Tuesday, the Fifa President and the Fifa Secretary General heard the latest information on key logistical issues such as stadiums, transportation and accommodation. “The Host Cities and the Local Organising Committee are fully committed to making the 2010 Fifa World Cup a resounding success.

There is much work to do, but we are working together to find the necessary solutions to put on two world-class events starting with next year’s Fifa Confederations Cup featuring top teams such as Brazil, Italy and Spain. The 2010 Fifa World Cup is a legacy, not only for South Africa but also for the entire African continent,” says Valcke.

At the SALOC Board meeting, South Africa’s Foreign Affairs Minister Ms Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma thanked Mr Blatter for being a champion and passionate supporter who has ensured that Africa is not a forgotten continent and is a major part of the international community: “We promise you that we will do our best. We will not fail you and we will not fail our continent. We are moving forward and I am confident the World Cup will be unique and will show the beauty, vibrancy, culture and nature of the people of our continent.”

“When the Fifa President was in South Africa in June last year he told us he wanted to see more picks and shovels at our World Cup stadiums. Now, when he has returned he has seen stadium roofs being erected and seats being installed.” said LOC CEO Danny Jordaan.

Source: Fifa
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:32pm On Sep 30, 2008
Premier Soccer League is the trading name of the National Soccer League (NSL) of South Africa, also known by its initials (PSL). The top league is the ABSA Premier League, sponsored by ABSA. The next highest league is the National First Division, which is divided into two regional streams.
The current CEO of the PSL is Norwegian Kjetil Siem who succeeded Englishman Trevor Phillips after the 06/07 season. The PSL's headquarters are located in Parktown, Johannesburg

www.psl.co.za
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:44pm On Sep 30, 2008
The Premier Soccer League's (PSL) newly announced R500-million sponsorship deal with Absa and the five-year R1,6-billion broadcast deal it struck with SuperSport International confirm South Africa as one of the richest football leagues in Africa and the developing world.

Announcing the deal, Irvin Khoza, chairperson of the PSL, said the re-constituted league has grown in "leaps and bounds" over the years and was now well placed to attract the best talent from South America, Africa and Asia.

Khoza said the five-year deal meant that the winner of the league would get more than double what the Telkom trophy pays out -- the winner of the knockout gets R4,25-million. Absa is the current sponsor of the national team as well the Absa Cup -- the domestic knockout competition -- for which the PSL will announce a new sponsor next week.

In securing the premiership, Absa reportedly shrugged off challenges from Vodacom, Standard Bank and Old Mutual. The outgoing sponsor, SAB, maintained that it remains "part of the PSL family".

Outgoing chief executive of the PSL Trevor Phillips said the deal was "by far the biggest" in Africa, to place it on par with the top leagues in South America. He would not specify how the South African league compares with the Tunisian, Egyptian and other Arab leagues that tend to retain their skilled players and, for that reason, dominate continental competitions.

The Mail& Guardian has established that, with the levels of investment coming into the PSL, the league might soon compare favourably with the Brazilian league, one the best in the world in terms of raw talent.

In 2005 the Brazilian league had total revenues of $462-million, of which 29% came from broadcasting. Last year they made $457-million, 29% of which came from broadcasting, according to a report by Casual Auditores Independentes, an accounting firm in Brazil.

A significant amount of their money, about 25%, comes from selling their players to Europe and last year about a fifth of their revenues came from sponsorships. The São Paulo club generated about $8,65million in revenue last year.

Although Nigeria is recognised as one of the top footballing nations in Africa, relatively little money trickles into its league.

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2007-09-28-psl-the-fattest-cash-cow-in-africa
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:58pm On Sep 30, 2008
Tycoons kick SA soccer into marketing big league
August 31, 2007

By SLINDILE KHANYILE

Durban - It is well known that there is a lot of money in the world of soccer. But until recently, soccer in South Africa has failed to realise its full potential.

Three months ago, the Premier Soccer League (PSL) generated billions for the game by bringing a private television station on board.

The PSL awarded SuperSport International a five-year contract for broadcasting rights in a deal worth R1.6 billion. The SABC has had a monopoly over these rights for the past 10 years.

Former PSL chief executive Trevor Phillips says it is hard to measure the brand.

"That figure [for the broadcasting rights] gives us an idea of how much we are worth but it is difficult to value the brand, mainly because of lack of infrastructure like proper stadiums, which sometimes turns off supporters," says Phillips.

Even on a global scale it is not clear how much the game is worth, according to Markus Siegler, Fifa's communications manager.

What can be used to estimate the value of soccer worldwide is the total $3 billion (R21.8 billion) sponsors pay Fifa to run the World Cup tournament every four years.

Siegler says that since 2004, television rights were sold at $2 billion, while the sponsorship and licensing were worth $1 billion.

But what's known is in the popularity stakes: soccer beats all other sporting codes. The popularity of the game in South Africa dates back to the 1930s, but it was only 10 years ago that the country started looking at the sport as a business.

Phillips and his team converted what was then the National Soccer League (NSL) into the PSL, which is now the face of professional football in the country.

"When I returned in 2002, we had lost it along the way and we started rebranding because football had attracted too much negativity," said Phillips.

As a result of that exercise, the PSL is a financially sound company today and an asset to the national controlling body, the SA Football Association (Safa). For the year ending July 2006, PSL recorded a turnover of R183.6 million, sponsorship turnover increased to R9.3 million and it netted a profit of R7.7 million.

Besides the PSL, there are three clubs that making it big.

Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates and Mamelodi Sundowns all have sponsorships worth more than R50 million each, from blue-chip companies such as Vodacom, MTN, Standard Bank, Nissan and Hollard.

Chiefs and Pirates are more established and have the monopoly on popularity.

"All over the world, people go for winning teams, and in the last 30 years Chiefs and Pirates have won the most, which is why they have been dominant," says Mark Gleeson, a soccer analyst.

In 2001 it was crazy at Chiefs with the club signing at least two sponsors every month. But according to Dara Carroll, the team's brand manager it has reviewed some of its relationships and is now left with eight key strategic partners. "It was madness then," says Carroll.

"We always have to look at what each relationship will do for the brand. We also have relationships with retailers through our licensing and merchandise programme."

As elsewhere in the world, local business moguls are trying to get a slice of the soccer pie. Mining magnate Patrice Motsepe and politician-turned-businessman Tokyo Sexwale are prominent.

Motsepe bought Sundowns in 2003 and recently boasted that "I am here to raise the bar". According to a recent Sunday Times report, 10 of the country's 13 best-paid players are from Sundowns.

The report said Zimbabwean striker, Peter Ndlovu, pocketed the highest as he took home R160 000 a month.

Next on the list were team-mates Jose Torrealba, who earned R100 000, and Esrom Nyandoro, with R80 000.

Motsepe caused consternation when he splashed out R55 million to bring Spanish giant Barcelona to the country for a single friendly match a few weeks ago.

He has also lured players from Chiefs and Pirates. Some who have crossed the floor from Soweto to Pretoria are Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, David Kannemeyer and Gift Leremi.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2008
Enoh: I was dreaming about Ajax
Submitted: 0 days ago

Former Ajax Cape Town star has Enyong Enoh has spoken out about his move to Ajax Amsterdam. Speaking in Dutch soccer magazine Voetbal International the Cameroonian midfielder said, “I was a little bit surprised by the chance the manager gave me. I came off the bench against Feyenoord and was part of the starting XI against Utrecht and Vitesse.”

Enoh was originally meant to move elsewhere, but he is evidently delighted with his move to Ajax, “Initially, I was heading for Maccabi Tel Aviv (in Israel), but the clubs didn’t reach an agreement. Ajax offered me a trial period and after that and they offered me a two year deal. It’s very special for me to be an Ajax player, because I was dreaming about Ajax when I was a little boy. The success from 1995, especially, was a big deal in Africa, thanks to the participation of African players like Nwankwo Kanu and Finidi George in that team.”

The midfielder has followed in the footsteps of several other Urban Warriors and he is keen to make the most of his move, “You’ve to grab the chances you get at this level. It’s a big advantage for me that I played for Ajax Cape Town before. They play the same formation and the atmosphere is similar. Steven Pienaar, who played for Ajax before, is a role model for the South African youth and I want to be an example for others, too. Everybody really admired those two and now I’m playing for Ajax, too. This is really big news in Cameroon,”
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 8:04am On Oct 13, 2008
Obada joins Parker on plane to Sweden
Submitted: 3 days ago

Soccer-Laduma has established that Bernard Parker is not the only Thanda Royal Zulu player going to trials at Swedish side, Malmö FF.

Nigerian youngster Felix Obada will accompany Parker sometime next week according to Thanda head coach, Roger Palmgren. “I can confirm that Obada is also going to trials at Malmö and will leave with Parker. I’m not sure when they will be leaving because we are waiting for their visas. I think they will leave on a Friday (next week) and we wish them the best of luck.”

Obada, who turns 19 early next month, has yet to establish himself in the PSL, but Palmgren is confident he can make it in Sweden if his trial is successful.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 8:26am On Oct 13, 2008
SABC cry foul over blackout

13 October 2008
Linda Moreotsene

The SABC has abdicated responsibility for their failure to broadcast Bafana Bafana’s final group qualifying match against Equatorial Guinea in Malabo on Saturday.

Kaizer Kganyago, the public broadcaster’s spokesman has laid the blame at the doorstep of the Central African country’s authorities for the debacle, saying they had declined 34 SABC technical employees’ visas to travel to Malabo.

“Initially we had applied for visas for 39 people, but were only given five. We then made arrangements with the Equatorial Guinea broadcaster to get the match from them.

“On the day they informed us that they were having technical problems which they would work on. But it never happened,” Kganyago said.

The SABC had announced that they would televise the match – which Bafana Bafana won 1-0 – delayed live on Saturday but that did not happen, disappointing viewers.

“We are obviously sorry, but we had intended and planned to broadcast the match. Their embassy did not give us the visas the same way they had denied the Safa media officer a visa ,” he said.

Bafana Bafana team manager Sipho Nkumane – who had been in charge of the Safa delegation’s applications – said all their applications were done on time.

“They told us that there was no need for our media officer, Sifiso Cele, to go. A Sunday Times reporter, Kgomotso Mokoena’s application was also declined,” said Nkumane.

“They also wanted to cause a scene about our two assistant coaches, asking what we were doing with two assistant coaches. We have asked the match commissioner to include all this in his report.”

Also declined were applications by Banyana Banyana’s August Makalakalane and Fran Hilton-Smith, who had planned to use the trip as a scouting mission for next month’s African Women’s Championships tournament in that country.

The Equatorial Guinea embassy could not be reached for comment yesterday .
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 11:52am On Oct 22, 2008
Horst Schmidt attends Soccerex
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 (10:53)

H Schmidt (L) © FIFA.com
Horst R. Schmidt brings his wealth of FIFA World Cup bidding and hosting experience to the Soccerex 2008 conference programme.

He will be joining Jérôme Valcke (FIFA Secretary General) and Danny Jordaan (CEO, 2010 FIFA World Cup Organising Committee) to provide Soccerex delegates and the global media with an exclusive update on the 2010 FIFA World Cup preparations.

As Vice-President for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Local Organising Committee, he played a crucial role in delivering one of the most successful and seamlessly managed sporting spectacles the world has ever seen.

Three years ago FIFA hired Horst R. Schmidt as their key consultant for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, allowing him to share his expert knowledge and assist the South African Organising Committee (LOC) with their preparations. Horst R. Schmidt remains adamant that the 2010 FIFA World Cup will be an incredible spectacle.

On a recent FIFA and LOC inspection tour around South Africa’s World Cup stadiums, he stated, "I think that Soccer City is one of the most exciting sites I've ever seen in my sporting life".

As well as playing an integral role in preparing South Africa for the most illustrious sporting show on earth he maintains his position as Treasurer for the Deutscher Fussball-Bund (DFB). Horst R. Schmidt brings an unparalleled wealth of experience to a panel already featuring two of the most senior figures in football.

This panel will provide an unmissable opportunity for all within the football industry to hear how FIFA and the South African LOC plan to make this the greatest FIFA World Cup of all time. Soccerex 2008 is the leading business convention for football worldwide taking place on 23-26 November, Gauteng Province, South Africa. This year’s event will bring together 4000 delegates and 300 exhibitors from over 95 nations.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:29pm On Oct 22, 2008
Ajax beat Chiefs on Nigerian striker!

The Siya crew has it on good authority that Ajax Cape Town are set to welcome Enyimba duo Ezenwa Otorogu and Monday Osagie to their stable soon.

Otorogu, who is a striker, has been an Urban Warriors target for some time and it seems the club has acted fast in a bid to lure the player to Ikamva. Meanwhile, Osagie is a central defender.

An agent of the two players has been quoted in Nigerian media as saying, “The players have agreed personal terms with Ajax. What is left is for both clubs to agree on the transfer fee.”

The prolific striker has previously told the Siya crew that he’s aware of interest from South Africa, but could not think much about it since Enyimba were still involved in the Caf Champions’ League. But the club has bombed out of the African club competition and Ajax were quick to snatch him.

Kaizer Chiefs were also reported to be interested in Otorogu’s services and the player recently told the Siya crew he’d like to join Chiefs as he wants out of Enyimba, but the Chiefs guys never really followed up on their interest and Ajax seem to be having the last laugh.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 11:45am On Oct 24, 2008
By Hosea Ramphekwa

Mamelodi Sundowns are set to reveal former Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard as their new manager.

In a dramatic move away from the traditional South African model, Rijkaard could take the reins and be given the right to administer the club much in the way English clubs are run.

In the English Premiership a manger like Sir Alex Ferguson of Manchester United is the supremo running many aspects of the club.

Although Sundowns boss Patrice Motsepe is being cagey about the identity of the man to take over from Trott Moloto, sources told Pretoria News that the Dutch legend Rijkaard is likely to be at helm with Moloto as his assistant.

"Motsepe is playing his cards close to his chest. The manager is certainly a foreigner but I think he will go for Rijkaard," said a well placed source.

Rijkaard fits the bill of the manager, whom Motsepe described without actually naming him during an announcement of a sponsorship deal between his club and car manufacturers Chrysler/Dodge at Grand Central Motors in Midrand.

"We are going to employ a manager and the whole team will be under him. A manager who has operated at a higher level. We need somebody who has a great track record," said Motsepe.

"The manager will select his team and share his ideas with the technical team. It is very expensive exercise, but we will make an announcement in due time, said Motsepe."

Bringing Rijkaard, who led Barcelona to Uefa Champions League glory in 2006, to Chloorkop is certainly going to cost the third richest person in the country an arm and a leg. The former Ajax Amsterdam player, who brought Barcelona to these shores last year to play Sundowns will definitely not come cheap.

Motsepe said of the seven candidates he spoke to, "four of them said we should do away with our technical team but we said no because we want our people to learn".

Motsepe said the move to appoint a manager is not a suggestion that he has lost faith in current coach Moloto.

"I have got a lot of faith in the coach but we haven't reached our targets. Every coach's success is based on results and we haven't had results. That's why we are taking this kind of action," said Motsepe, who added that the decision followed recommendations by the committee that was looking at the club's poor performances.

The Brazilians boss also addressed the crisis that has hit his club recently. The crisis includes misconduct by players and said technical director Ted Dumitru, whom fans were calling for his removal, is staying put.

"I never employed Ted to be a coach at the club. His involvement is like everywhere in the world. His main objective is to identify the best talent and focus on it. Ted is going nowhere," said Motsepe.

Motsepe also read a riot act to wayward defender Mbulelo "OJ"Mabizela.

"At Sundowns nobody is bigger than the club. If anybody lacks discipline we will take strong action against them. We will not allow lack of discipline," he said.

The billionaire was elated about the one year deal he signed with Chrysler, who offered Downs 18 cars yesterday.

"We are excited about deal with Chrysler. Chrysler and Dodge make some of the best vehicles and we are confident that our relationship will contribute to an increase in the sales of their excellent vehicles."

Chrysler SA's managing director David Elmore said: "The choice of Sundowns for a sponsorship deal of this nature is fitting as it combines the various dynamic brands that will compliment each other."
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 8:56am On Nov 07, 2008
Chiefs assess young Nigerian Ibeh
Posted: 2008-11-06 20:54

Kaizer Chiefs’ struggle to find a strike partner for their current marksman, Venezuelan Jose Torrealba could be coming to an end with the news that coach Muhsin Ertugral and the Amakhosi technical team are looking at a Nigerian.

Known in vast West African nation as John Ike Ibeh, the player who has being assessed at Naturena is also known as ‘Victor’ Ibeh and has travelled extensively.

KickOff.com has established that the 22-year-old, who also holds Spanish citizen, was last at Romania’s UT Arad, who were relegated to that country’s Second Division at the end of last season.

Ibeh, who played in the midfield last season, scored only one goal for his club but had a clean record, not picking up a single card.

The forward, who is physically stocky like Torrealba, is being touted as a good finisher and is on record as having played for Hapoel Tel Aviv in Israel.

Unconfirmed reports have it that Ibeh has already signed a three-year deal and will be unveiled as soon as his papers arrive.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 9:34am On Nov 07, 2008
Helsingborg to come to South Africa in March

Farouk Khan has informed the Siya crew that Swedish giants Helsingborg are set to tour South Africa in March as they prepare for their season. They are looking to organise a couple of friendly games against PSL clubs and will more than likely also look at some local talent considering how well young May Mahlangu has done for them. At this stage it is not known whether Jabu Mahlangu will sign a contract with them and travel back to Sweden when they leave, but word is they are very impressed with what Mahlangu achieved in a short space of time at Swedish third division club Osters. Khan says that Swedish superstar and former Barcelona and Manchester United player Henrik Larsson, who is reportedly a big fan of Jabu Mahlangu, will be coming out with the team.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 8:23am On Nov 10, 2008
Michel waits on work permit
Posted: 2008-11-10 08:53

Mamelodi Sundowns’ new French coach Henri Michel is expected to accompany the Brazilians when they travel to Cape Town for their mid-week Absa Premiership clash against Santos on Wednesday.

Michel, who was introduced to his new squad at the weekend after arriving back in South Africa, is unlikely to take a visible role in the proceedings as he is still awaiting his work permit to be processed.

Reports say that the former Ivory Coast and Morocco coach will also use his own team of a fitness trainer and assistant coach.

This will leave under-fire Trott Moloto with the unenviable task of facing the People’s Team on their home ground on Wednesday evening at Athlone Stadium in what is forecast to be typical windy Cape conditions.

Coach David Bright’s team will have to start putting the pieces together after suffering heavy defeats at the hands of Platinum Stars and Bloemfontein Celtic if they are to make any impression on the Brazilians who continue to improve towards the top of the table.

The likes of Benedict Vilakazi, Collins Mbesuma, Koketso Mmotong, Katlego Mphela, Dario Monterio (Sundowns Player of the Month for October) and Lerato Chabangu are players that know how to seize on any mistake and put the ball in the back of the net and they will definitely be out to impress Michel.

Further good news for the visitors is that Surprise Moriri has started full training and will be available for selection when we play against Santos

Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 8:26am On Nov 10, 2008
Thanda Royal Zulu teenage Nigerian winger Felix Obada believes the week-long trial stint that he and in-form teammate Bernard Parker spent at Swedish Allsvenskan giants Malmo IF was vital to the progression of his career.

Obada spent a week in Sweden coming on as a ‘test player’ substitute in the club’s Under-21 match against IFK Norrkoping.

“I know that it was the first time that I was overseas for trials, but I think I made a contribution and learnt some things. They play football at a fast pace with more technique,” says Obada.

The Nigerian, whose wizardry down the wing has made people sit up and take notice, says his focus is on Thanda as he awaits word from Malmo.

“I haven’t heard anything from the Swedes with regards to where I stand. There is absolutely nothing that has been communicated to me, so I am concentrating on what my mind has always been on and that is to work hard for Thanda. I just want to continue making a good contribution here,” says Obada.

The 19-year-old has been an exciting revelation on the wing for Thanda since he arrived at the beginning of the year from Kwara United.

Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 7:46am On Nov 20, 2008
Bafana win Mandela Challenge
Posted: 2008-11-19 22:44

South Africa recorded a fourth straight win with a pulsating 3-2 victory over Cameroon in a Nelson Mandela Challenge match at Olympia Park on Wednesday night.

The home side raced into a 2-0 lead after a double strike from the excellent Teko Modise, but were then penned back by goals from Ngom Kome and Somen Tehoi. The prolific Bernard Parker gave the home side the win with eight minutes remaining, however.

Bafana could even afford to miss a late penalty as Modise saw his effort saved by goalkeeper Carlos Kameni. It would have been the first time a South African player had scored three since Benni McCarthy netted four against Namibia at the 1998 Africa Cup of Nations.

Bafana lined up with the same side that beat Ghana in Bloemfontein on October 15, bar goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune replacing Bryan Baloyi.

And they were ahead after just six minutes thanks to a thunderous drive from Modise. Matthew Booth released Siphiwe Tshabalala down the left and although the Kaizer Chiefs man was dispossessed, the poor clearance found Modise on the edge of the area and he hit the ball first-time past a helpless Kameni in the visitors’ goal.

Modise made it 2-0 on 23 minutes after an attempted one-two fell kindly for him with a clear run on goal. The Orlando Pirates man showed great composure as he steamed into the area and placed the ball past Kameni.

But the two-goal advantage lased just four minutes as the excellent Kome hit back with a direct free-kick from 25-yards.

Kome was causing all sorts of problems for the home side and he went close with a header at the back post that looked to have Khune beaten, but found the side-netting rather than the goal.

But it was a warning to Bafana about the visitors’ aerial presence and after Modise had again gone close with a 30-yarder that Kameni was forced to save, Somen Tehoi rose highest from Kome’s left-sided free-kick to head Cameroon level.

The physical nature of the Cameroonians game finally took its toll as Siyabonga Nkosi was forced to leave the field after a stamp off the ball and was replaced by Parker on 39 minutes.

The frustration of the South Africans was evident and Benni McCarthy received a yellow card for dissent from referee Cornelius Mwanza when he complained about the foul count mounting against the away side.

Katlego Mphela replaced McCarthy at halftime as Macbeth Sibaya forced a good low save from Kameni in the opening seconds of the second period.

Mpehla should have done better on 49 minutes when he failed to meet Tshabalala’s corner at the near-post. And just minutes later, brilliant work down the left from Tshabalala again found Mphela, but this time the striker’s shot was straight at Kameni.

The industrious Tshabalala then warmed the palms of Kameni from 30-yards but the keeper saved comfortably.

Cameroon brought on Achille Webo for Albert Meyoung on 52 minutes and Khune had to make a smart save from the new man straight away as his near-post header looked goal-bound.

The visitors made a second change on 58 minutes as Guy Stephane replaced Jean Makoun.

Augustine Gilles received a yellow card on 61 minutes for dissent, but Modise could not make good use of the free-kick that had originated from the foul just seconds earlier.

Cameroon made a third change when they brought on Frank Songo’o for Somen Tehoi on 73 minutes, while the unlucky Mphela was forced off the field with a head injury at the same time to be replaced by Thulasizwe Mbuyane.

Parker scored the winner on 82 minutes after Mbuyane’s shot was only parried away by Kameni, capitalising on his own good work in creating the initial opportunity for the Pirates man with some strong play to hold off two defenders.

Bafana made a final change on 84 minutes when Kagiso Dikgacoi replaced Sibaya.

Modise then missed a late penalty after he was brought down in the area himself, but Kameni saved his spot-kick to miss out on what would have been a treasured hat-trick.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 10:43am On Nov 21, 2008
Zito gets his clearance

Kaizer Chiefs have confirmed that their new Nigerian striker Zito Ogbonna is available for selection when they take on Wits tomorrow evening at Bidvest stadium.

He missed the Soweto derby, because his former Romanian club had failed to issue the clearance, but now the papers have arrived and with Jose Torrealba doubtful for tomorrow’s clash due to back pain, Zito could be thrown in the deep end.

Kaizer Chiefs have scored 10 goals in eight league games this season, which means Zito comes in at a time when there is pressure for Chiefs to start hitting the back of the net consistently
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 11:33am On Nov 21, 2008
Awesome’ draw show on track
Posted: 2008-11-21 11:28

Fifa Confederations Cup excitement will hit fever pitch in South Africa tomorrow as the country prepares to host six continental football champions and world champions Italy for the draw that is being held at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg.

Coaches and representatives from the eight participating teams will be in Johannesburg, to learn their fate for the tournament, which will take place from June 14-28 next year in four cities across South Africa.

“Everything is going well here, we are on schedule and hope the draw will attract a lot of attention and further promote the Fifa Confederations Cup,” says Fifa’s OC Event Manager Tim Cook.

One aspect that is definitely on track is the volunteer programme, which called on South Africans to volunteer their services for next year’s event.

The volunteers, an integral part of the draw, have been trained in their various tasks for the weekend and are already busy ahead of the event.

For many it is a wonderful opportunity to be able to contribute in some way to an important event for the country and to play a very special part of the Fifa Confederations Cup.

“I wish I could be even more involved. For me it is all about creating a great picture of South Africa for the outside world. It is such a big event that is very important for our country and working on this is a dream come true,” remarked Bonginkosi Mthimunye, a freelance actor from Johannesburg who is a media volunteer for the draw.

As the volunteers were taken through the whole process, the thorough preparations for tomorrow’s draw became evident.

Fifa and the OC’s media operations department have been preparing for the influx of local and international journalists who will cover the draw, taking media volunteers through the media areas at the venue and explaining the process involved in servicing the media’s requirements. The volunteers were amazed at the intricate detail involved in putting together the event and excited to be part of it.

Everything has to be planned, from ensuring good quality wireless internet and making sure translators are provided, to providing adequate facilities for the camera crews and even ensuring that the media had a place to put up their feet and grab something to eat at any given time.

Although Cook seems happy with the preparations he is well aware that this is just the beginning, with the goal very much the 2010 Fifa World Cup ultimately.

“It is only the first step in the process but the draw show is going to be awesome,” he adds.
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 11:49am On Nov 25, 2008
Ogbonna Admires Amakhosi Spirit

Nigerian striker Zito Ogbonna has heaped praise on the Kaizer Chiefs squad after their performance against Wits University at the weekend. Ogbonna scored two goals in his debut performance and was impressive especially in the first half.

“I am happy first for the team following a loss against Orlando Pirates last weekend,” claimed Ogbonna, “The spirit in the team is fantastic and it showed tonight. I think my performance can be credited to the work we did as a team. It was good that we won the game.”

The Nigerian was great in the first half, but his lack of conditioning showed in the second period as he struggled to make an impact. “I played my first game tonight after a long time and I am still struggling with fitness and I am hoping to get better and better,” admitted Ogbonna, “I just want to thank everyone in the team for making me feel comfortable. I know that there is a lot of work ahead and I believe that we have what it takes to achieve more as a team”.

Ogbonna and his Chiefs team will face another tough test on Wednesday night when they line-up against Golden Arrows in a PSL fixture. Last time out Arrows hammered Chiefs and Amakhosi will be looking for some revenge.

www.soccerladuma.com
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by RSA(m): 3:10pm On Nov 25, 2008
Europe beckons for Quartey
Posted: 2008-11-25 15:36

Jonathan Quartey could be lost to Europe should his club Kaizer Chiefs consider recent offers for their Ghanaian international good enough.

Interest in Quartey from clubs in Turkey, Greece and Croatia has been building for some time and Kick Off knows that scouts were at the Soweto Derby to watch him play.

But now concrete offers have landed at the desk of Kaizer Motaung for consideration.

Chiefs are unlikely to discuss anything until their crucial match against log leaders Golden Arrows tomorrow night is completed.

It is expected that a meeting will take place on Thursday to discuss the offers and the future of their big defender.

Quartey impressed for Ghana in their loss to Libya in Tripoli in September and has been making steady progress as an international.

³It is a really competitive area the central defence. What I know is that once I get my chance I will do well. I also played with my heart so I am convinced I will get another call-up,² is what Quartey said after his impressive display.

So far Quartey has remained in favour of the national team selectors.

www.kickoff.com
Re: SA League Fans News And Update here by tck2000(m): 4:17pm On Jul 29, 2019
bulky here

(1) (Reply)

Undertaker - John Cena 'bloodiest Fight Ever' Survey Scam,beware!! / Enter Here For Rollover Bets, We'll Make You A Millionaire / 1st-half Correct Score 2 (other)tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.