Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! (4878 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 8:52am On Oct 02, 2008
my dad just called me one night and was like, "that passport photograph you sent, i really don't like it! you know the kind of man i am, and people will expect that my children shouldn't do those kind of things! if you want braid your hair, do that THERE, it's ok; but when it comes to passport photograph for permanent things like international passport, or whatever, please don't do that. i just wanted to let you know that i'm not happy!"

so em, what's wrong with me braiding ma hair? and since when did hair styles become a fault or crime in passport photos? i mean, it's the same passport photo in which i braided my hair that's on my british visa. i never came across any passport rule that says "no hair styles" i mean, what difference does it make, skin cut, afro, low cut or braids, hair is hair, and my FACE is what's needed!

so what the hell is wrong with the braiding of hair? yea, i know that in nigeria, they're think am irresponsible and stuff (and i REALLY don't know why), but over here, THEY LOVE IT! i get favours cos of my braided hair, and i even look better on braids grin

so what's the big deal? perhaps, there's something i'm missing here. cos people are begging me to cut the hair, though they still say it looks good. so, what am i missing here
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Aladunni(f): 3:40pm On Oct 08, 2008
undecided
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Ezinwannem: 6:14pm On Oct 08, 2008
peeps like u dat is a Nigerian leaves Nigeria and 4gets our cultural values etc, ur dad's instruction is very clear which is "braid your hair if u like but do it where you are but wen u wanna take a passport photograph, dont braid. In essence, live da life of ppl ove dere and wen itz time 2 do wat leans towards naija, do it da naija way tongue
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by coolier(f): 6:42pm On Oct 08, 2008
kheme:

so what the hell is wrong with the braiding of hair? yea, i know that in nigeria, they're think am irresponsible and stuff (and i REALLY don't know why), but over here, THEY LOVE IT! i get favours because of my braided hair, and i even look better on braids grin

shocked What sort of braids are we talking about here? Is this the normal 'million braids', or 'bob marley' because people do that all the time in Nigeria and am sure nobody would label you irresponsible for it. By the way are you mixed blood? Maybe your dad doesn't want to see you like you're black. I love braids and I do it all the time.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by ifyalways(f): 7:04pm On Oct 08, 2008
If you are living under your parents roof,Obey them fully cool
Once you are out and on your own,you can braid whatsoever type of hair you want. grin lol
On a serious note,i think i understand what your dad is trying to say,what type of braids is that?I love dreadlocks and am even carrying one but my mum does not like it for some religious reasons which i understand ,whenever i am going home,i respect her by not carrying my rasta cheesy home. but what type of braids were you carrying
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by SimiBrasil(f): 7:52pm On Oct 08, 2008
I have already braid my hair once but I didnt like because it broken the original hair and cause a lot of dandruff, in my own case.

Also , a little of headache in the first days.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by tpia: 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2008
The OP is a guy- thats why his dad doesnt want him braiding his hair.

@ topic: if you're still financially dependent on your dad then do what he says. He didnt say don't braid the hair- he only said don't take an official picture with braided hair.

Sounds reasonable enough, to me.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by ifyalways(f): 9:01pm On Oct 08, 2008
aah cheesy
male braiding hair? tot it was a female sef undecided
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by biyibabe(f): 5:39am On Oct 09, 2008
U r a nigerian so as a guy it is not acceptable or proper 4 u to braid ur hair.It tends 2 give u this kind of rasta look.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 09, 2008
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by mafolayomi(f): 10:10am On Oct 09, 2008
Sango lamo ton dirun oooooooo
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 6:59pm On Oct 09, 2008
yea, i'm black, nigerian, a guy, not in nigeria and i braid my hair! look at my profile pic (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=25958) ! and yea, it's NORMAL braids (i'm thinking of bob marley sha grin)

well, if there was a problem with my passport and the hair, then i the british embassy should have refused it, right? see, just because people don't like certain things just doesn't make them wrong! i still don't get the idea!

and HOW, i mean "how" does a guy braiding his hair make him irresponsible?

@Ezinwannem: i live MY life, not the life of the people here! i'm the pioneer of guys making their hair in my area, so i'm not living up to any style or vogue or something, they're living up to mine! tongue

what else can i say?
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by davidylan4(m): 7:02pm On Oct 09, 2008
are we your daddy? Talk to him, he's the one who is not happy not us.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 7:13pm On Oct 09, 2008
@davidylan*: lol, you're funny! but you know how it does on nairaland, from the initial topic, it deviates! my originial question, or at least, what my original question was meant to be was, HOW DOES THE BRAIDING THINGY MAKE PEOPLE LOOK IRRESPONSIBLE? or do i say, what does the hair style have to do with your personality altogether? i've always known this right from nigeria, that the moment i start making ma hair or keeping long hair, people are gonn say stuff like that, you look irresponsible! so i'm "trying" to understnad what's up with this kinda thinking, you know! besides, i love the attention, ehehehe tongue
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by ashleign: 1:36am On Oct 10, 2008
Go to the salon and give yourself a haircut instead of roaming all over the country giving your family a bad name tongue
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by iice(f): 7:03am On Oct 10, 2008
I understand your dad's reservation, have seen it with happen with some of my friends (one even had his dad pay him b4 he cut his hair grin) Not a big deal in my family though, my brothers are pretty crazy grin grin. Been there done it all grin grin Oh sometimes it has alot to do with personality.
In the end, i guess its up to you, if you want to make your dad happy or not grin
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Afribiz(f): 9:33am On Oct 10, 2008
coolier:

shocked What sort of braids are we talking about here? Is this the normal 'million braids', or 'bob marley' because people do that all the time in Nigeria and am sure nobody would label you irresponsible for it. By the way are you mixed blood? Maybe your dad doesn't want to see you like you're black. I love braids and I do it all the time.

Sure you didn't get it. The poster is a male, not female. lol!
@poster,
If you're Nigerian, you should understand that a man with braids is being looked at as irresponsible, except if you're an Actor, footballer, or a musician. You can live like Romans when you're in Rome, but live like Nigerians when you're in Niger'. The issue of your passport is however between you and your popsie to iron out.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 12:15pm On Oct 11, 2008
If you're Nigerian, you should understand that a man with braids is being looked at as irresponsible,

my question is WHY
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Afribiz(f): 10:16am On Oct 13, 2008
kheme:

my question is WHY

CULTURE!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 11:33am On Oct 13, 2008
ummm,
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 11:34am On Oct 13, 2008
so i guess anyone with a different culture is irresponsible? or the CULTURE says that such act is irresponsible?!?
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by spikedcylinder: 11:54am On Oct 13, 2008
How old are you?
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by kheme(m): 8:53pm On Oct 14, 2008
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Flakybaby(f): 9:53pm On Oct 14, 2008
:-x :-x
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by bintab(f): 9:15am On Oct 15, 2008
Hair braids among guys is very unaccepted in naija culture.It is attributed to idol worshippers only, so ur dad is concerned  about a negative image for his son ,partly because he cares and secondly due to the curse attached to it. i will employ you to listen to him,he does have ur  best at heart. uR image to foreigners might be o.k and liked but i tell at naija it is a big curse.
mafolayomi:

Sango lamo ton dirun oooooooo
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by ladydom: 6:12pm On Oct 15, 2008
Go and cut that shit on ur head cos u r a guy not a lady.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Shinatu: 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2008
You look cool in your braids I must say, it looks neat and well kept not some dirty looking ones you see around in the name of fashion.However I understand your Dad's feelings.

Come to think about it, is it only in Nigeria that we regard males with braid as irresponsible?, what could happen if Obama turned up for his next public debate (assuming there is one)  with braids on?, just wondering
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Gamine(f): 9:06pm On Oct 16, 2008
I wont date a dude with braids on his head o.

But abeg, just obey ya papa na
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by bigfather(m): 10:26am On Oct 17, 2008
Gamine:

I wont date a dude with braids on his head o.

But abeg, just obey ya papa na

Abeg help me tell am !
For me, i would never ever transact any deal with a guy that has got braids on . It simply looks irresponsible , am not saying you are but the Nigerian culture does not permit such most especially if you are still staying with your parents. But come to think of it, why would one put on a braids when you are not naturally born with it ? undecided
Me no see wetin dey cool in the thing o !
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Gamine(f): 10:54am On Oct 17, 2008
but was anyone born with braids? undecided
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by bigfather(m): 11:48am On Oct 17, 2008
Gamine:

but was anyone born with braids? undecided
Yeap. That is why we have people we call DADA in Yoruba land. And we have some people with natural braids from the Caribbeans.
Re: To Braid Or Not To Braid!?! by Gamine(f): 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2008
lol.

Thats not braid na.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Don't Want Your Money (put A Roof Over Our Head) / I Saw A Ghost. Now He's Haunting Me! / I Caught My Father FUCKING My Wife,i Feel Helpless – I Need Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.