Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Internet Fraudsters In Rent Scam Prospective Tenants Connedm - Lagos - London - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Internet Fraudsters In Rent Scam Prospective Tenants Connedm - Lagos - London (1462 Views)

Funny Reasons Tenants Give For Delays In Rent Payment / Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too / Tenants Can Sue Their Landlords For Arbitrary Increase In Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Internet Fraudsters In Rent Scam Prospective Tenants Connedm - Lagos - London by JJYOU: 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2008
Internet fraudsters in rent scam

Prospective tenants are being conned out of thousands of pounds as part of an elaborate internet scam, a BBC London investigation has found.

The conmen put exclusive properties at cheap rents on the advertising website Gumtree then trick payments from would-be tenants via money transfer agencies.

BBC London found the e-mail addresses of the scammers originated in Nigeria.

A spokesman for Gumtree said it was working with the money transfer agency Western Union to prevent the fraud.

Sisters Alexandra, 19, and Zaire Sheppard, 18, from Holloway in north London, have been victims of the scam.

Fake identification

They spotted an advertise on Gumtree for a two-bedroom apartment in Belgrove Street in Camden. The cost was £650 a month, plus a deposit of £700.

They e-mailed the owner, who called himself "Lin Dong".

He claimed he had had trouble with tenants before and wanted proof the sisters could afford the rent and deposit.

I was put off my guard because I was not asked to send the money directly to Lin Dong - I sent the money to my sister
Alexandra Sheppard

Lin Dong asked Alexandra to send a payment of £1,350 through Western Union, not to him, but to a trusted friend or relative of her choice.

He then requested a scanned copy of the transfer payment receipt so that he could verify that she had the available funds.

Some time afterwards, a fraudster using fake identification, pretending to be Zaire Sheppard, walked into a Western Union office with the scanned receipt and took the money.

Alexendra said: "I was put off my guard because I was not asked to send the money directly to Lin Dong - I sent the money to my sister."

BBC London found a similar scam in which a fraudster was offering a two-bedroom flat for rent in Wigmore Street, Marylebone Village.

The fake owners, who identified themselves as "Katie" and "Benson", claimed they were on holiday in France and needed a quick deal.

As in the scam which hit the Sheppard sisters, they wanted £1,350 to be forwarded through Western Union and then to be sent a scan of the receipt.

'Suspicious activity'

But BBC London checked the origin of the e-mails and found they were all sent from Lagos, Nigeria.

During a telephone conversation, a man who called himself "Ben" said the flat was still available.

He was asked for an exact address in Wigmore Street but refused to give it. He then said he was in Paris.

When asked if he meant Lagos he hung up.

A Gumtree spokesman said: "We strongly discourage users from transferring money in advance of seeing a flat, or anything else they may see advertised on the site.

"We also operate a community reporting system whereby users can easily alert us to suspicious activity so that we can take action, and furthermore we are working with Western Union to try to put a stop to this sort of fraudulent activity."

Western Union said it was investigating the scam, but could not offer refunds to the people who have been defrauded by it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7648092.stm

++ i cant find the link some one was recommending gumtree to a lady coming for studies. please beware people
Re: Internet Fraudsters In Rent Scam Prospective Tenants Connedm - Lagos - London by JJYOU: 2:25pm On Oct 02, 2008
dont they have jails in nigeria no more? people like these should be locked up for giving nigerians a bad name
Re: Internet Fraudsters In Rent Scam Prospective Tenants Connedm - Lagos - London by naijacutee(f): 11:56pm On Oct 03, 2008
Oh my goodness! This happened to my housemate and her brother a few weeks ago!! Same style, same everything. . . And they joked to me saying "I'm very sure they were Nigerians. . ." Well, now we know they are! Shame on all those giving us a bad name!

(1) (Reply)

Looking For An Architect To Design A House. / A Tastefully Finished 3br Flat(all En Suite)with Visitors Toilet @atunrase Est / Ajegunle-apapa: A Property On 842.07 Sqm @ Ligali St. Off Ojo Rd. N9m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.