Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,550 members, 7,812,761 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro (8313 Views)

Multiplication of Fruit Bearing Trees By Air-layeriny / What Fruit Could This Be? / Some Strange Trees You Got To See (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 27, 2014
Grafting Fruit Trees
Have you imaged how old you would be when your avocado, udara or orange tree would start fruiting ?. Most fruits we have around take up to 10 to 15 years to start fruiting and this serve as one of the discouragements that young people who love to go into farming and other enthusiasts face.
With the knowledge made available by the internet and efforts of our agro researchers, we can now discard such challenges as they are not insurmountable. There is a solution and that solution is ’GRAFTING ‘. Grafting is a technique whereby you take a tissue (bud, bark, or stem)termed scion from one plant and make it to grow on another plant termed root stock.

The essence of grafting is to have the tree produce a particular type of fruit that the owner prefers and to have it in a very short time. Some trees I mentioned before like avocado peas, mango, black pear, e t c take up to fifteen years to fruit and sometimes they produced some unmarketable fruits both in taste and in appearance. With grafting, you can have a tree bearing tree plants at the same time as we have it in citrus grafters like orange ,lemon, tangerine all growing at the same tree.
Perhaps you have seen some oranges that fruit at a very short height or mangoes that produce fruits at a very tender stage , They were probably grafts. Your dream of living a happy life with the various tree plants you need is now a reality with the graft-technique around. Before you order your fruit trees make sure they are from grafted plants. Enjoy life.

1 Like

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
You can even graft pepper leaf on a royal palm or palm tree . The Nyako farms at Adamawa have thousands of grafted mangoes .In Benue you can find thousands of grated oranges .
In Abia state the average price per budded orange is N500 . This plant would fruit from two years from the date of transplant. Get involved and plant one tree today even its in that your abandoned landed property.

3 Likes

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by bunmita: 6:11pm On Jun 27, 2014
Very informative but where do we get these grafted fruit trees to buy. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Pavore9: 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2014
Where can l get budded seedless orange?
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 1:55am On Jun 28, 2014
I don't know for other cities bit on umuahia you can get the at Michael okpara uni of Agriculture umudike or from Our nursery Splash Agro Nursery in Umuahia or Umudike.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 2:00am On Jun 28, 2014
Pavore9: Where can l get budded seedless orange?
Since I joined the Nursery we have not. seen a parent seedless variety if not we could have mass produce it.
However you can turn your seeded variety to seedless by soaking(spraying) the young seeds on the tree with gibberallin
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 28, 2014
happybrother:
Since I joined the Nursery we have not. seen a parent seedless variety if not we could have mass produce it.
However you can turn your seeded variety to seedless by soaking(spraying) the young seeds on the tree with gibberallin

Do you guys have website or contact informations
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 4:49am On Jun 28, 2014
?
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by dgitrader(m): 1:18am On Jun 29, 2014
wow, great info.
u can also visit any federal college of forestry near you.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by dgitrader(m): 6:36am On Jul 01, 2014
happybrother:

I have always been facinated about owning a nursery. I have a well located plot of land, fenced and watered, can u offer some insights? and how profitable is it.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
happybrother: Grafting Fruit Trees
Have you imaged how old you would be when your avocado, udara or orange tree would start fruiting ?. Most fruits we have around take up to 10 to 15 years to start fruiting and this serve as one of the discouragements that young people who love to go into farming and other enthusiasts face.
With the knowledge made available by the internet and efforts of our agro researchers, we can now discard such challenges as they are not insurmountable. There is a solution and that solution is ’GRAFTING ‘. Grafting is a technique whereby you take a tissue (bud, bark, or stem)termed scion from one plant and make it to grow on another plant termed root stock.

The essence of grafting is to have the tree produce a particular type of fruit that the owner prefers and to have it in a very short time. Some trees I mentioned before like avocado peas, mango, black pear, e t c take up to fifteen years to fruit and sometimes they produced some unmarketable fruits both in taste and in appearance. With grafting, you can have a tree bearing tree plants at the same time as we have it in citrus grafters like orange ,lemon, tangerine all growing at the same tree.
Perhaps you have seen some oranges that fruit at a very short height or mangoes that produce fruits at a very tender stage , They were probably grafts. Your dream of living a happy life with the various tree plants you need is now a reality with the graft-technique around. Before you order your fruit trees make sure they are from grafted plants. Enjoy life.

Great post.
A grafted orange will start fruiting from 3rd year instead of the ungrafted which takes about 10years or more.
To get a grafted seedlings call 08164628081,01-7910494
or like us on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria for.more info.

1 Like

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 02, 2014
dgitrader:

I have always been facinated about owning a nursery. I have a well located plot of land, fenced and watered, can u offer some insights? and how profitable is it.

it is lucrative. But just know that you have to work out the pay. first you must mix up you inventory with fruit tree seedlings and ornamental seedlings.More to that is that you must have assessories like pots seed bags.
Finally you must be a good e- and non-e- marketing.
For Example my first million in the business come from aggressive and committed marketing ...how?... I went to a Board member sold my idea to plant umbrella trees in 43 institutes under the biarand maintain them for a year and it played off. Again check out new housing estates for horticultural service to render.Pls collaborate with others in the industry.

2 Likes

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by irukandji89(m): 9:06pm On Aug 03, 2014
Learn how to make your own seedlings.
www.nairaland.com/1841287/marcotting-air-l
ayering-turn-plant#25199117
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 3:09am On Aug 04, 2014
my impediment in this forum is the difficulty experienced posting pics. I ought to showcase my works. I use tecno p5 on glo; can any one help.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by jonnyr48: 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2014
hi happybrother, you said "you can even graft pepper leaves onto a palm tree" ? this interests me a lot - i thought palm trees couldnt be grafted? is there a particular method?
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by hensben(m): 4:33am On Aug 10, 2014
cool

1 Like

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by freshness2020: 4:33am On Aug 10, 2014
Helpful...let me take this to my farmer friend. This will come handy for him.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 5:47am On Aug 10, 2014
jonnyr48: hi happybrother, you said "you can even graft pepper leaves onto a palm tree" ? this interests me a lot - i thought palm trees couldnt be grafted? is there a particular method?
yes you can graft pepper leaf (PL)on any palm. The thing there is that you are not grafting the palm which is a fibrous log but you introduce the stem of the PL into the palm; the sap will be the life wire of the PL

1 Like

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Youngzedd(m): 7:04am On Aug 10, 2014
I was here.

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by NaLaugh: 7:08am On Aug 10, 2014
cool cool
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by bosunjohns(m): 8:45am On Aug 10, 2014
Will this out. ..
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by sylve11: 9:28am On Aug 10, 2014
lemme save this page quickly. who knws tomorrow? cool
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by frehage: 10:30am On Aug 10, 2014
Great news.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by pussypounder(m): 10:52am On Aug 10, 2014
kkkk
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Debiks: 11:52am On Aug 10, 2014
Okk nice one.......
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by MOBBDEEP: 1:00pm On Aug 10, 2014
Are you really sure about the info concerning years of waiting before fruiting?
Can think of modern-day genetically engineered improved Mango/Citrus seedlings staying up till >10years before fruiting.
I mean I have witnessed some bearing fruits within 3 years.
That is why people don't longer practice those grafting/budding acts.
I'd rather plant the improved seedlings rather than start doing grafting.
Though I must confessed I'm awed by the technology.
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 11, 2014
MOBBDEEP: Are you really sure about the info concerning years of waiting before fruiting?
Can think of modern-day genetically engineered improved Mango/Citrus seedlings s
taying up till >10years before fruiting.
I mean I have witnessed some bearing fruits within 3 years.
That is why people don't longer practice those grafting/budding acts.
I'd rather plant the improved seedlings rather than start doing grafting.
Though I must confessed I'm awed by the technology.
Get this fact; no Genetically Engineered mango for early fruiting. You can have taste;looks and resistance varieties .I bet you that what you said you saw was either man grafted or naturally grafted =when conditions become uncomfortable for trees they die and shoots up again severally leading to short plant in fruiting mode.
However view my web site:

www.splashagro.

2 Likes

Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 15, 2014
Another News from Spllashagro on mango propagation from stem
https://www.nairaland.com/1858845/propagting-mango-through-stems
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 17, 2017
Those days
Re: Grafting Fruit Trees: An Intro by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 03, 2018
You can graft any fruit tree .You can mass produce banana/plantain suckers, you can have one tree producing different varieties of same fruit eg. Orange bearing lemon,shaddock,lime etc.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Cheap Organic Pesticides from neem oil / My Pepper Sack Farming / Rice Farming: My Sweet-bitter Experience. Looking forward & Re-strategizing!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.